Pre purchase wi fi Medallion, conflicting reports on here and from Princess

sha1955

We are platinum and I completely understand the 50% obc refund if I pre pay for my wifi

Here is the problem. I have been told by Princess twice now that we can only buy the single device each to get 50%  platinum discount. I want to buy the 4 devices and get my 50%

Not possible I have been told. We each have to buy a single device package to be eligible for the discount. I have read the terms and conditions and see no such stipulation. 

I have also been told that I have to pre pay to get the lower $9.99 price so a bit risky to get on board and wait and see.

I would expect Princess to give accurate information and feel let down as a platinum member since I cannot, according to them, benefit from a 4 device deal.

Plus, they do not seem clear about what is being said. I was on the Sky in October and know how great the app can be, but was Princess Plus so this never came up.

5 minutes ago, sha1955 said:

We are platinum and I completely understand the 50% obc refund if I pre pay for my wifi

Here is the problem. I have been told by Princess twice now that we can only buy the single device each to get 50%  platinum discount. I want to buy the 4 devices and get my 50%

Not possible I have been told. We each have to buy a single device package to be eligible for the discount. I have read the terms and conditions and see no such stipulation. 

I have also been told that I have to pre pay to get the lower $9.99 price so a bit risky to get on board and wait and see.

I would expect Princess to give accurate information and feel let down as a platinum member since I cannot, according to them, benefit from a 4 device deal.

Plus, they do not seem clear about what is being said. I was on the Sky in October and know how great the app can be, but was Princess Plus so this never came up.

Who is telling you this at Princess?  Total BS that you will not get the 50% off - we get 50% off all internet packages - pre-cruise and on-board.

Also, I have it on authority of senior Customer Relations personnel that the pre-cruise pricing is available to us on DAY 1 of a cruise.  (Due to all the pre-ordering issues).  If you don't want a lot of conflict and have the time, write CR yourself and take the email response on the ship.  You may have no issue at all since the ship personnel are supposed to be aware of this policy.  That said, the IT Mgr used to be a contract type person, but they still need to follow policy.

Lots of folks report getting different answers to questions when calling Princess customer 800 line.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sha1955 said:

Not possible I have been told. We each have to buy a single device package to be eligible for the discount.

That is not at all true.  I bought the 4-device package last week for my March 10 sailing.    I was charged the Elite (half)price, so no having to pay the full price and getting the 50% back as obc.  I thought about waiting until the first day on board but I just didn't quite trust being able to get the pre-cruise pricing.  I ordered it through live chat and then paid for it through my pvp, but if you don't mind waiting on hold I'm sure you can buy it through customer service.

5 minutes ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

This will probably make it just more confusing, or maybe I just haven't kept up, but I just got off chat where the CSR tells me the regular 1 device price is $19.99 per day and the 4 device price is $29.99 per day and that Platinum get 50% off that.  I don't think that sounds right but I don't know for sure.

I was charged $150 for a 15-day multi-device package with the platinum-elite discount.

They're correct...you really wouldn't get any benefit from a 4 device pkg.

Even if you bought one 4 device pkg and shared between the 2 of you, it would cost you more than buying two one device pkg.

How many devices (computer, cell phone, etc) can you use at one time?

10 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

They're correct...you really wouldn't get any benefit from a 4 device pkg.

Even if you bought one 4 device pkg and shared between the 2 of you, it would cost you more than buying two one device pkg.

How many devices (computer, cell phone, etc) can you use at one time?

One multi-device package costs the same as two single-device packages.  So for us, since we each have a cell phone, plus dh has a laptop, and I have a kindle, it just makes sense to get the multi device package.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, pompeii said:

One multi-device package costs the same as two single-device packages.  So for us, since we each have a cell phone, plus dh has a laptop, and I have a kindle, it just makes sense to get the multi device package.

Thank you, exactly our situation

I have pre-purchased the 4 device plan and got the 50% discount on 5 different cruises so far this year.

• Like 2

Here's another little thing for this discussion. Last August, on the Majestic, I bought a one device plan for the week. Thereafter, there was an option to add a second device to the plan for $20 for the week. I didn't do it, since we didn't need it, but the option was there.

Question/comment. You say you had Princess Plus package in October and sort of indicated that you were satisfied with it. The plus fare is 1 device per person at a time. You can use as many different devices that you want by logging off one and logging on another. Do you now require to be logged into more than one device at a time?

25 minutes ago, skynight said:

Question/comment. You say you had Princess Plus package in October and sort of indicated that you were satisfied with it. The plus fare is 1 device per person at a time. You can use as many different devices that you want by logging off one and logging on another. Do you now require to be logged into more than one device at a time?

Possibly yes rather than keep logging out to go on phone then tablet

The onboard price isn't that much higher than pre-paying, and when you sign up it gives you the option of 1 or 4 devices, with the 50% discount. If you have some sort of coverage outside of the US or don't mind searching for wifi in ports, you don't need to do the entire cruise either. On my last Mexican cruise I suffered without wifi for a few days, used my T-Mobile plan for free in ports, and then just paid a pro-rated plan for the final 2 days of the cruise. A short internet fast also helped me enjoy my vacation more.

30 minutes ago, skynight said:

Yes. My husband often has to work during our cruises. He can work from wherever he wants (no office building,) but has limited vacation time. It's a good gig, but it does require him to work before Crooner's, sometimes!

So, if I want to play a game while relaxing on the balcony, we need two.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

This will probably make it just more confusing, or maybe I just haven't kept up, but I just got off chat where the CSR tells me the regular 1 device price is $19.99 per day and the 4 device price is $29.99 per day and that Platinum get 50% off that.  I don't think that sounds right but I don't know for sure.

No, more wrong info.  I am really getting annoyed as all of these back and forth Q&A's and debates could be laid to rest if Princess would just publish the costs on Princess.com.  How difficult can that be?

Single-Device

Pre-Cruise         $10/day

On-Board           $15/day

4-Devices

Pre-Cruise        $20/day

On-Board           $25/day

Single Days (on board)

$20/day

Platinum and above get 50% off all plans. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have to purchase wifi for a cruise in a couple weeks, I booked at such a low the price the add-on for Princess Plus wasnt worth it. So....it is $10 a day pre-purchased but $15 a day purchased on board?  If so I guess I had better go add it!

Edited by Buckeye10640
  • Like 1

Thanks to this thread, I was looking for the internet options online.  Of course, I could not FIND it online!  

My bride found it in her ap, at the prices that were posted above, and as I am elite and she is not yet platinum, we decided to have ME get the 4 device package.

HOWEVER, Princess wants to Charge My credit card today!  As we dont leave for 70 + days, I dont see any reason to charge this Now and then hope/pray that we dont end up cancelling (or princess cancelling) and have to deal with another charge to be reversed.

So to be sure, I  will ask the experts here:  IS there any reason to book this NOW?  What is the optimal time to opt in?

thanks for the information!  Always learning on this site!

46 minutes ago, sirclean said:

Thanks to this thread, I was looking for the internet options online.  Of course, I could not FIND it online!  

My bride found it in her ap, at the prices that were posted above, and as I am elite and she is not yet platinum, we decided to have ME get the 4 device package.

HOWEVER, Princess wants to Charge My credit card today!  As we don't leave for 70 + days, I don't see any reason to charge this Now and then hope/pray that we don't end up cancelling (or princess cancelling) and have to deal with another charge to be reversed.

So to be sure, I  will ask the experts here:  IS there any reason to book this NOW?  What is the optimal time to opt in?

thanks for the information!  Always learning on this site!

Wait until a week or 10 days before the departure date.  You can ask Princess rep if there is a cut-off... I am not sure about when it might be, but the day before is too late.  And remember, for the time being, you can get the pre-cruise pricing on Day 1 per Customer Relations. 

I don't think you have to worry about a price increase in the next 70 days.

11 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

No, more wrong info.  I am really getting annoyed as all of these back and forth Q&A's and debates could be laid to rest if Princess would just publish the costs on Princess.com.  How difficult can that be?

Single-Device

Pre-Cruise         $10/day

On-Board           $15/day

4-Devices

Pre-Cruise        $20/day

On-Board           $25/day

Single Days (on board)

$20/day

Platinum and above get 50% off all plans. 

Thank you. This would be brilliant but as of yesterday 2 princess reps including one alleged manager claim it is only 50% of the single plan! I am so fed up with their lack of real knowledge. 

5 hours ago, sha1955 said:

Thank you. This would be brilliant but as of yesterday 2 princess reps including one alleged manager claim it is only 50% of the single plan! I am so fed up with their lack of real knowledge. 

This is the exact reason I switched to a TA. I'm independent, and would prefer to do it myself, as it saves time if there are no issues.

When there's an issue, though, the TA is my BFF. Princess' customer service is awful. They have a terrible script for agents to follow (if they even have one!)

• Like 1

How is 'one device' defined? I travel with a chromebook and check my emails. Then hubby signs in on same minutes (or used to on the elite 'free' wifi but we haven't cruised since Covid so haven't used the new Medallion wifi packages). Is my chromebook considered ONE device but we both can use it?

2 minutes ago, remydiva said:

How is 'one device' defined? I travel with a chromebook and check my emails. Then hubby signs in on same minutes (or used to on the elite 'free' wifi but we haven't cruised since Covid so haven't used the new Medallion wifi packages). Is my chromebook considered ONE device but we both can use it?

One device means connected with one device at a time.  You could have ten devices - whatever.  Also, you could have one plan and both cabinmates share the access.  You just need the login credentials for the cabin to login.  But only one person at a time even if you have two devices - IF you only have one plan and one login credential paid.