My Story: First Time Single Cruiser on NCL and My Quest to Upgrading to the Haven

Sthrngary

Part Seven:  14 Days Out and Lessons Learned!

Today is 14 days until I embark on my second cruise in four months on the NCL Joy.  Since this thread is about my story to both cruise and hopefully win a bid for the Haven as a solo cruiser, I wanted to share my experiences during the process. 

• Two (2) Times Upgrade Bids are Accepted: I have not found this to be the case.  What I have found is that if your cruise leaves on a Saturday, the bids are accepted on the Tuesday before.  That has been the case for the last four cruises I watched.  So looking at the inventory everyday, some times five times a day as I do is a gross waist of time.  Won't stop me from doing it.
  • Bidding: It obviously has to do with inventory.  I have watched as Haven Guests upgrade (not bid, upgrade due to price drops) to Two-Bedroom Family Villas, there current suite goes into inventory.  The same thing happens when a current Haven guest wins a bid on Tuesday prior.  So only bidding on what is in inventory is not a good strategy.  Instead, bid on what you want even if it is sold out. 
  • The Haven is Great But it has a Budget Limit: I am the biggest of big Haven Fans.  It will pain my not to get a winning bid and stay in the Haven once again.  However we all have to be smart about this especially if you are going solo.  Know what the rates are currently. Example: H6 is $3,200 per guest plus fees bringing you to about $3,600.00 per guest. Now look at what you paid, and ask yourself a question? "Would I pay $3,500.00 just for me to be in a Haven Suite or what amount would I pay?"  Now do your bidding.  I set my limit well below the $3,500.00 amount.  Remember, if I bid $700.00 it cost me $1,400.00 because I am a solo. The good news is this sailing gave me a initial fare that was single occupancy. That limits my chances however I refuse to get crazy or emotional forces my budget to be higher then I want. Just me.

This has been a learning experience for sure.  I hope my experience will help you with your strategy. 

Cruise well.

• Like 2

On 2/19/2022 at 2:17 PM, Sthrngary said:

They were $200.00 OBC and one meal at the French Restaurant.

Thanks to your posts we got that deal on our May cruise! I do have a question about the meal at Le Bistro. Should I see that on my cruise summary? I see the OBC but not the meal at Le Bistro. Sorry that's not upgrade related but you seem to be the expert on this! Thanks!!

6 minutes ago, HxFx said:

Thanks to your posts we got that deal on our May cruise! I do have a question about the meal at Le Bistro. Should I see that on my cruise summary? I see the OBC but not the meal at Le Bistro. Sorry that's not upgrade related but you seem to be the expert on this! Thanks!!

@HxFxGood question which I have asked on every cruise.  The answer is, you will NOT see that meal on your NCL Summary.  Don't worry about it. I did the first time and made myself crazy.  Look at the reviews and likes/dislikes that folks have for LeBistro.  There are some hit/misses.  If I remember correctly, I got the rack of lamb and LOVED it.  However please understand, I also had the Premium Plus Beverage Package and was drinking lots of way over priced Champagne so my memory might be off. 

Cruise well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

@HxFxGood question which I have asked on every cruise.  The answer is, you will NOT see that meal on your NCL Summary.  Don't worry about it. I did the first time and made myself crazy.  Look at the reviews and likes/dislikes that folks have for LeBistro.  There are some hit/misses.  If I remember correctly, I got the rack of lamb and LOVED it.  However please understand, I also had the Premium Plus Beverage Package and was drinking lots of way over priced Champagne so my memory might be off. 

Cruise well.

Thanks! I love lamb so that will weigh heavy in my decision 🙂 Yes, I will be enjoying the upgraded beverage package, paid in part with the OBC!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Part Eight:  10 Days Out and and My Prospect of Upgrade to Haven are VERY LOW!

I wrote this stream for those who want to upgrade to the Haven and win that upgrade.  The fact that I am a solo cruiser has no consequence.  When you win an upgrade, you pay for two upgrades.  So if I bid, $700.00 I pay $1,400.00.  

My initial strategy was to choose a week that had lots of Haven Suites left on the NCL Joy.  That week was March 19, 2022.  I knew the Joy was having some capacity issues due to canceling a few cruises early in the year.  This was a miscalculation on my part.  it is 10 days before my cruise and there is just a handful of Haven Suites unsold.  One it the H2 Owners Suite.  

The Virus concerns have goon way down.  This has opened up a much higher guest count especially for the Haven and the Joy which is a ship I really love.  If I could do this process all over again, I would have booked the Breakaway out of New Orleans for the same time.  Lots of Haven Opportunities there.  Is there still a possibility for one of my bids to be taken, "YES". Just not likely.

I have executed my plan "B":

• Purchased Two (2) Additional Specialty Restaurant Package: I had three before from the "Free At Sea" and American Express Perk.  I added two more for $70.00.  Not a huge investment and I got the times I was looking for also.
  • Premium Plus Beverage Package: I always do this package anyway so why would not not treat myself.  Some have reported that the Joy does not have my favorite Tequila.  That would be disappointing however it if exists on the ship, I will find it.  This also allows me to shift my morning focus from the Haven Horizon Observation deck to the ships normal observation deck when I can have a "Proper" Starbucks coffee in the morning. 
  • Upgrade To Unlimited Streaming Internet: Again, this is something I always do so why not do it just for me.  
  • Gratuities: My travel agent had a special that paid my Gratuities on this voyage.  It won't stop me from over tipping my room steward, bartenders and others. My gratuities will still be far less then in the Haven providing another reduction in over all investment. 
  • Vibe Beach Club: My boarding time is 09:00 AM.  I know that is not when the ship is ready for guest to board but what it does is provides me as early a boarding time as possible when it does happen.  I will make a beeline to the Guest Services Desk to purchase a Vibe Beach Club pass.  I have $200.00 of OBC and that is about what it will cost me.  Some say the Vibe Beach Club has been empty.  I hope so.  Perfect for me.  All I want is a lounge chair, hot tub and bar.  
  • Conclusion:  I am creating my own "Haven" approach and will evaluate it as such.  It will cost less then half of what the Haven would have cost if any of my bids were accepted.  I will use this experience to make strategic decisions on my next NCL cruise on the Breakaway in December with my wife. 

I hope that this story has help some attempting to do the same thing I am doing with strategy in the future.

Cruise well.

• Like 8

55 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

• Vibe Beach Club: My boarding time is 09:00 AM.  I know that is not when the ship is ready for guest to board but what it does is provides me as early a boarding time as possible when it does happen.  I will make a beeline to the Guest Services Desk to purchase a Vibe Beach Club pass.  I have $200.00 of OBC and that is about what it will cost me.  Some say the Vibe Beach Club has been empty.  I hope so.  Perfect for me.  All I want is a lounge chair, hot tub and bar.  
  • Conclusion:  I am creating my own "Haven" approach and will evaluate it as such.  It will cost less then half of what the Haven would have cost if any of my bids were accepted.  I will use this experience to make strategic decisions on my next NCL cruise on the Breakaway in December with my wife. 

Keep in mind that the Vibe on the Joy is double the size as it utilizes both sides of the ship.  With less passengers, you should be guaranteed a Vibe pass.

My husband and I just booked the 5 day Bermuda sailing out of New York in September.  Having just got off the Joy a few weeks ago staying in the most perfect Haven cabin for us, I was very tempted to book it again.  Then, I came to my senses and realized I would be more than happy to, as you state above, create my own Haven.    We will buy Vibe passes and the $70 specialty dining too and we should be just fine.    We will also go to the observation lounge and bring back snacks to our cabin in the afternoon, stop by the buffet at night to find the cookies, and order coffee and breakfast treats every morning from room service.     And we will save roughly $3,250.   

However, I still hope your bid acceptance comes through for you!

5 minutes ago, vacation44 said:

Keep in mind that the Vibe on the Joy is double the size as it utilizes both sides of the ship.  With less passengers, you should be guaranteed a Vibe pass.

My husband and I just booked the 5 day Bermuda sailing out of New York in September.  Having just got off the Joy a few weeks ago staying in the most perfect Haven cabin for us, I was very tempted to book it again.  Then, I came to my senses and realized I would be more than happy to, as you state above, create my own Haven.    We will buy Vibe passes and the $70 specialty dining too and we should be just fine.    We will also go to the observation lounge and bring back snacks to our cabin in the afternoon, stop by the buffet at night to find the cookies, and order coffee and breakfast treats every morning from room service.     And we will save roughly $3,250.   

@vacation44I can't tell you how much I appreciate your post.  I feel great know that the capacity will not exceed 60%.  I did not know that the Joy had the Vibe on both sides like the Haven sundeck.  Something tells me I will REALLY enjoy my cruise doing the things on the Joy that I did not get to do on our November Joy Cruise.  

I guess, after writing about the Haven since 2018, I was hoping to continue my topics on the subject.  I am also so spoiled and know it.  What makes me feel some what excited is when I was on the Joy, the Vibe was literally empty.  

Again, thank you for reading my post and your extremely kind comments.  

Cruise well.

27 minutes ago, vacation44 said:

We had a Club balcony and ate ever night in a Specialty Restaurant, but one night. We loved the Observation Lounge. Don't even consider the money we saved. Just booked 2 more cruises on Prima. 

We don't need a Butler, someone to make reservations for us as we never had a problem making reservations and used our GPS to provide directions to the theater or gangway. LOL

STAY SAFE AND HAPPY CRUISING! 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

Vibe Beach Club: My boarding time is 09:00 AM.  I know that is not when the ship is ready for guest to board but what it does is provides me as early a boarding time as possible when it does happen.  I will make a beeline to the Guest Services Desk to purchase a Vibe Beach Club pass.  I have $200.00 of OBC and that is about what it will cost me.  Some say the Vibe Beach Club has been empty.  I hope so.  Perfect for me.  All I want is a lounge chair, hot tub and bar.  

We were on Joy last week and Vibe was a ghost-town so you should have a great opportunity to stretch out and enjoy (we didn't go in, but could see it from the laser area on 20).   We had been trying to find the public sundeck and hot-tub on 19 - it still shows on the deck plans on NCL's website, but it had been closed off and made part of the expanded Vibe.  So (in theory) you have 2 hot tubs to choose from, in addition to the bigger Vibe - enjoy. 

Your early boarding group will pretty much mean you'll be at the head of the line for Vibe, even though you can't get onboard until it's clear (as you already acknowledged).  For reference, it was just before noon when the first boarding group was called on last week's cruise (2/26 departure).

Have a great cruise - however your plans work out.  It sounds like you've got the contingencies covered. 

• Thanks 1

Hey Gary,

Very much enjoyed this thread. I'm an experienced cruiser and traveller so deciding to take a solo wasn't a concern for me. And the deal I got as a solo on a balcony with Free At Sea was amazing. 

I admit  it to some trepidation because of this ship being newer with lots of kid attractions but I figure if I stay from them they'll stay away from me. 

The Vibe Club was mentioned. Is this an adult only area? I remember Carnival used to have Serenity. A private area for 18+ only. It was worth every penny.

32 minutes ago, HardToPort said:

The Vibe Club was mentioned. Is this an adult only area?

@HardToPortThank you for your post.  Yes, the Vibe Club is an adults only area.  It is very nice, on the top of the ship in the middle.  Thank you again for responding.  I look forward to my first Solo Cruise Experience.

Cruise well.

to Sthrngary

Hi, I'll be embarking the Joy as you disembark. I am sailing solo, in the Haven. First time on the Joy, third time in the Haven solo. Before that, twice in the Haven with my husband (now departed...still sailing...on another plane...I hope). BTW, NCL is still offering upgrade bidding on the 2-bedroom Haven cabins AND the Owner's suite!?!

To the point: you ARE "The Cranky Old Man" of the videos, right? Love them! And love your postings here on CC.

Maybe I'll get to say hi someday and shake your hand. Have a great cruise. enJOY.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Suite Heart said:

to Sthrngary

Hi, I'll be embarking the Joy as you disembark. I am sailing solo, in the Haven. First time on the Joy, third time in the Haven solo. Before that, twice in the Haven with my husband (now departed...still sailing...on another plane...I hope). BTW, NCL is still offering upgrade bidding on the 2-bedroom Haven cabins AND the Owner's suite!?!

To the point: you ARE "The Cranky Old Man" of the videos, right? Love them! And love your postings here on CC.

Maybe I'll get to say hi someday and shake your hand. Have a great cruise. enJOY.

@Suite HeartHello and Thank You. I am the Cranky Old Man in the videos.  Thank you for watching them. I have bids on every type of suite, even the H2 Haven Deluxe Owners Suite.  There are 2 H6, 2 H5 and 1 H2.  My gut tells me my bids are to low and not enough suites left.  We will see what happens. 

I do hope we see each other, love to say hi. 

Cruise Well.

I too have bids in for the Haven for my 3/20 Encore sailing. The Haven is showing as sold out. I am currently in a club balcony suite with large balcony. I have specialty restaurants booked for every night of my cruise and will be buying Vibe passes. I plan on having a Haven “lite” experience of my own making. I hope your cruise is awesome!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, justhappy said:

I too have bids in for the Haven for my 3/20 Encore sailing. The Haven is showing as sold out. I am currently in a club balcony suite with large balcony. I have specialty restaurants booked for every night of my cruise and will be buying Vibe passes. I plan on having a Haven “lite” experience of my own making. I hope your cruise is awesome!

@justhappyGreat to hear from you.  Oh boy am I going to get in trouble for this post.  But here it goes. As you can imagine, I love staying in the Haven.  Going back to why I every considered it in the past was the following: 

• Service: My past cruises had rushed or bad service.  This was mostly because a ship that held 4,000 guest was completely sold out.  The crew was simply trying to do their job but there was to many guest to crew ratio.  TODAY-The NCL ships are sailing at 60% or less.  The crew are getting very high marks all around.
  • Lounge Chair Hogs: Trying to find a chair by the pool was a hardship.  They were there but they were reserved.  I did not want to have a conflict with anyone so I just would get frustrated. I never had this issue in the Haven.  TODAY-Less people, more chairs and you can do the Vibe if you would like too.  The Vibe is empty on most ships because the main pool has open chairs.
  • Main Dining Room: In the past, I was not thrilled with the Main Dining Room.  The Haven gave a much higher end choice at a price.  TODAY-Free-At-Sea gives two Specialty Restaurants and American Express Platinum gives one. Another two nights is $70.00 which is fair and give variety. 
  • Access to Hot Tubs: The Haven in the "Plus" ships had the Haven Sundeck with to oversized hot tubs.  My recent trip on the Joy in the Haven, the Haven Sundeck was more crowded then the Main Pool.  TODAY-The Vibe Beach Club is empty making it better then the Haven Sundeck which is crazy. 
  • Service At Bars: In the past, every bar was packed.  Getting a drink was a task.  Even and especially the Haven Bar at night.  TODAY-Not the case in the main ship.  Rare and nice.  It won't last long though. 

The only thing we are missing with a Club Suite it the Butler and we are keeping several thousand dollars in our bank account.  I can go to the buffet and get my own snacks, we will have a robe that does not say Haven on it, and we will have a complementary bag of laundry.  

During these strange times of 60% or less capacity, the Haven will be sold out and the rest of the ship is wide open.  In a few months, that won't be the case however for right not.  The better experience may just be outside the Haven.  I hate myself for saying this.  If you have been lucky enough to get a bid upgrade to the Haven and it is your first time; you will LOVE IT.  I can't wait to here the feedback from this post, LOL.

Cruise Well.

Gary....another "thanks".  I've enjoyed reading about your process.  We think alike.  I restrain myself most of the time for upping a bid I've placed for a Haven Upgrade.  As, that would defeat the purpose of getting a "deal".

Could have booked a 2 BR Haven Suite on the Epic a week or so, ago for about $4,200 all in, as a solo, no less.  Could have booked the Encore in a Haven Suite (in the Haven) for about $3,800.  Both fares would have been the least expensive I had ever seen for a Haven.

But, found even better deals in Celebrity's Retreat (sadly, not for a 2BR Retreat Suite, though).  So, that's what I booked.

Always looking, seems NCL has raised prices on the Haven, again.  That makes Retreat Suites even more attractive.  Still like me some Haven, though.

Enjoy our cruise.  I'm sure you will!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

@justhappyGreat to hear from you.  Oh boy am I going to get in trouble for this post.  But here it goes. As you can imagine, I love staying in the Haven.  Going back to why I every considered it in the past was the following: 

• Service: My past cruises had rushed or bad service.  This was mostly because a ship that held 4,000 guest was completely sold out.  The crew was simply trying to do their job but there was to many guest to crew ratio.  TODAY-The NCL ships are sailing at 60% or less.  The crew are getting very high marks all around.
  • Lounge Chair Hogs: Trying to find a chair by the pool was a hardship.  They were there but they were reserved.  I did not want to have a conflict with anyone so I just would get frustrated. I never had this issue in the Haven.  TODAY-Less people, more chairs and you can do the Vibe if you would like too.  The Vibe is empty on most ships because the main pool has open chairs.
  • Main Dining Room: In the past, I was not thrilled with the Main Dining Room.  The Haven gave a much higher end choice at a price.  TODAY-Free-At-Sea gives two Specialty Restaurants and American Express Platinum gives one. Another two nights is $70.00 which is fair and give variety. 
  • Access to Hot Tubs: The Haven in the "Plus" ships had the Haven Sundeck with to oversized hot tubs.  My recent trip on the Joy in the Haven, the Haven Sundeck was more crowded then the Main Pool.  TODAY-The Vibe Beach Club is empty making it better then the Haven Sundeck which is crazy. 
  • Service At Bars: In the past, every bar was packed.  Getting a drink was a task.  Even and especially the Haven Bar at night.  TODAY-Not the case in the main ship.  Rare and nice.  It won't last long though. 

The only thing we are missing with a Club Suite it the Butler and we are keeping several thousand dollars in our bank account.  I can go to the buffet and get my own snacks, we will have a robe that does not say Haven on it, and we will have a complementary bag of laundry.  

During these strange times of 60% or less capacity, the Haven will be sold out and the rest of the ship is wide open.  In a few months, that won't be the case however for right not.  The better experience may just be outside the Haven.  I hate myself for saying this.  If you have been lucky enough to get a bid upgrade to the Haven and it is your first time; you will LOVE IT.  I can't wait to here the feedback from this post, LOL.

Cruise Well.

I have been in the Haven 4 times in the past 7 years, in everything from a Courtyard Penthouse suite to an aft balcony Haven suite. I do love the Haven, but if prices are too high for my budget or I’m traveling with friends who don’t want to spend that much, I can be just as happy in a regular balcony cabin, like I was in January on the Escape.

I know this cruise will be a bit more crowded than the Escape that had  only 1500 people sailing. I am sure I will have a better time outside the Haven this upcoming cruise as it is spring break week for Dade and Broward counties and the Haven will most likely be full of kids. Not that I don’t like kids, but this cruise is for my daughter who is a first grade teacher on her spring break and the last thing she wants is to be around more kids!  
Lastly luckily I am Platinum so will be able to board after Haven to get those Vibe passes, as well as getting two additional specialty dinners included.

• Thanks 1

Part Nine:  I Give UP!

If you read my story you know I used all the strategy I had.  I listened to all the advice given.  It seems my timing, not strategy was way off.  I chose the wrong week to go back on the Joy.  The Haven Inventory was low the day after I booked the cruise and paid in full.  Today, a week before my cruise, all Haven Suites are completely sold out.  

I just went online and cancelled all my bids.  I also just went to CVS and did my first of two Covid-19 tests.  If the test comes back negative tomorrow, I might put some bids back on but I really don't think so. 

My overall feeling of this bid process is simple.  It was not good for me mentally.  I am a highly competitive person.  This led to making bids, fighting myself mentally, increasing bids and finally putting a $1,500.00 (total would have been $3,000.00) bid for an H2 Deluxe Owners Suite.  I am solo this cruise so that one put me over the top.  I woke up at 3:00 AM, cancelled it.  My personality does not allow me to approach this bidding with the logic and discipline it needs.  I have no patience and this is also the reason I gave up "Black Jack" 10 years ago.  My tendency is to go "ALL IN" which is really bad for Black Jack and Bidding for a Haven Suite. How is that for complete transparency.

To use a fellow posters term, next week I will be going "Haven Light".  I will review it just like I do the Haven and do a fair comparison.  I will also do a "real time" review on the NCL Joy starting Saturday, March 19, 2022. I have made a decision simply to book the Haven upfront from this point forward.  My only exception will be my Cruise on the NCL Breakaway on December 4, 2022.  That one we booked in the Club Suite with Balcony because it was as high as the "Casino At Sea" would go still providing a percentage discount.  I will bid those Haven Suite Upgrade since my wife will be with me. 

I hope we enjoyed this journey together.  Now for the fun part, cruising next week.  I want to leave with an observation. "Why, a week before any cruise I have taken in the last year do I always think I have Covid?"  My mind is creating stress when there should only be "Joy"!!

Cruise well everyone and enjoy every minute.

• Like 7

Sthrngary,

That's a very self aware assessment of your "all in" mentality. Will you be playing Texas Hold 'Em on the cruise? LOL

Seriously though, you do not have Covid. You'll be on the cruise. Deep breaths. 

• Like 1

@Sthrngary I have done 2 cruises since the shutdown, one in a Haven H1 room, and the other in a Club Balcony.  Both were great cruises and both had many memorable moments.  The Club Balcony was on Escape just as Omicron was hitting, and we were at 2600 folks and the ship STILL seemed like a ghost town to me, since I have been on her more then once before when she was full.  The Haven was on a small ship (Pearl) with only 21% of her capacity.  

Go in there with the attitude that it is a vacation, and you will be cruising and I think you will do great.  I also think the Vibe right now is probably less full then Haven (which is sold out on all ships basically every cruise).  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

Part Nine:  I Give UP!

If you read my story you know I used all the strategy I had.  I listened to all the advice given.  It seems my timing, not strategy was way off.  I chose the wrong week to go back on the Joy.  The Haven Inventory was low the day after I booked the cruise and paid in full.  Today, a week before my cruise, all Haven Suites are completely sold out.  

I just went online and cancelled all my bids.  I also just went to CVS and did my first of two Covid-19 tests.  If the test comes back negative tomorrow, I might put some bids back on but I really don't think so. 

My overall feeling of this bid process is simple.  It was not good for me mentally.  I am a highly competitive person.  This led to making bids, fighting myself mentally, increasing bids and finally putting a $1,500.00 (total would have been $3,000.00) bid for an H2 Deluxe Owners Suite.  I am solo this cruise so that one put me over the top.  I woke up at 3:00 AM, cancelled it.  My personality does not allow me to approach this bidding with the logic and discipline it needs.  I have no patience and this is also the reason I gave up "Black Jack" 10 years ago.  My tendency is to go "ALL IN" which is really bad for Black Jack and Bidding for a Haven Suite. How is that for complete transparency.

To use a fellow posters term, next week I will be going "Haven Light".  I will review it just like I do the Haven and do a fair comparison.  I will also do a "real time" review on the NCL Joy starting Saturday, March 19, 2022. I have made a decision simply to book the Haven upfront from this point forward.  My only exception will be my Cruise on the NCL Breakaway on December 4, 2022.  That one we booked in the Club Suite with Balcony because it was as high as the "Casino At Sea" would go still providing a percentage discount.  I will bid those Haven Suite Upgrade since my wife will be with me. 

I hope we enjoyed this journey together.  Now for the fun part, cruising next week.  I want to leave with an observation. "Why, a week before any cruise I have taken in the last year do I always think I have Covid?"  My mind is creating stress when there should only be "Joy"!!

Cruise well everyone and enjoy every minute.

Sorry to hear you won’t be in the Haven.  I was looking forward to perhaps meeting up with you at the Haven bar for a shot of tequila. Maybe I’ll see you around the ship and we can have a drink at another bar. Maltings has a pretty good selection. I’m sure you’ll have a good time no matter where you stay. It’s funny you mentioned your next cruise is on Breakaway in December. We’re on that sailing also, so if I don’t see you on the Joy, maybe I will on the Breakaway. Cheers!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, HardToPort said:

Sthrngary,

That's a very self aware assessment of your "all in" mentality. Will you be playing Texas Hold 'Em on the cruise? LOL

Seriously though, you do not have Covid. You'll be on the cruise. Deep breaths. 

@HardToPortI have been told I am very self aware before.  Psychologically it means, I continue to give myself guilt for all aspect of my life.  This comes from my upbringing, LOL.  Took a shot at me on the old, Texas Hold 'Em issue, huh.  YOUR ARE RIGHT, can but won't play Texas Hold 'Em either.  I go all in with a unsuited two and seven thinking it is the ultimate bluff.  As Yoda would say, "Easy mark you are, HUMMM!"

A Covid Story for you.  The first cruise after Covid happened for my wife and I was in July 2021 on the Crystal Serenity. 8 days before that cruise, my wife had Break Through Covid.  We had to cancel and lost 50% of our fare.  I was smart enough to have great travel insurance and that 50% was back in my account in 15 business days.  I knew and now we all know, cruise Crystal now so we took that trip the next month.  I was fortunate enough to have a double upgrade.  The first one was a fix upgrade amount which was a splurge but fair.  The second was the kindness of the Crystal Executive Team whom heard my story and read my posts.  Horrible what happened to a great brand like Crystal.

That is why I take two Covid tests.  Even with three shots, I would rather know now to cancel and use my Travel Insurance then fly to Miami to find out my Thursday test was positive.  We all will have the time of our lives on our upcoming cruises.  That I assure everyone.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gmbhardy said:

Sorry to hear you won’t be in the Haven.  I was looking forward to perhaps meeting up with you at the Haven bar for a shot of tequila. Maybe I’ll see you around the ship and we can have a drink at another bar. Maltings has a pretty good selection. I’m sure you’ll have a good time no matter where you stay. It’s funny you mentioned your next cruise is on Breakaway in December. We’re on that sailing also, so if I don’t see you on the Joy, maybe I will on the Breakaway. Cheers!

@gmbhardyI will ask the Haven Desk for permission to have a drink with you at the Haven Bar.  They all know me very well.  That would be a one time occurrence because the Haven Amenities should only be for Haven Guests.  I will honor that as I would expect other should do.  If that does not work out, I insist we find a bar and we do more then one shot of tequila.  

On the Breakaway, that is a very special trip for my wife.  She won the Slot Tournament on the Joy in November and December 4 it the finals on the Breakaway.  

Cruise well and tequila for ALL!!!!

6 minutes ago, oteixeira said:

@Sthrngary I have done 2 cruises since the shutdown, one in a Haven H1 room, and the other in a Club Balcony.  Both were great cruises and both had many memorable moments.  The Club Balcony was on Escape just as Omicron was hitting, and we were at 2600 folks and the ship STILL seemed like a ghost town to me, since I have been on her more then once before when she was full.  The Haven was on a small ship (Pearl) with only 21% of her capacity.  

Go in there with the attitude that it is a vacation, and you will be cruising and I think you will do great.  I also think the Vibe right now is probably less full then Haven (which is sold out on all ships basically every cruise).  

You understand my strategy completely.  Haven Light, I have NEVER met a Cruise that I did not have a GREAT time on.  I am "All In".

Cruise well.

• Like 2