First Time on Regent—Boarded Explorer Today

On 3/5/2022 at 8:51 PM, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

Cmon, so far we have only been in the specialties except for breakfast this morning in Compass Rose.  We had the opportunity to snag an additional specialty reservation so we went with it,  I think tomorrow we may try the Italian restaurant and then will move over to Compass Rose.  It is easier on this half filled cruise to get extra specialties, so we are taking advantage of it while we can.  Tonight we ate in Prime 7 and I’ll report on it to,or row, along with lots more photos.

Don't miss the opportunity to go to Compass Rose. We actually prefer it to most of the specialty restaurants. We are also Celebrity refugees and can tell you the main dining room on Regent is WAY better than the main on Celebrity. Even better than Luminae...and more options.

Thanks for all of your detailed comments. All of the work you are putting into this is phenomenal. Much appreciated. 

• Like 3

Yesterday we went to the aft infinity pool, so here are a few photos.  We were the only ones there for a bit, then two more people arrived.  Wonderful area.  I took a few photos of the beautiful flooring to share with you.  This is on deck 5, if I remember correctly.  And a photo of the corridor light fixture outside our suite.  So pretty. 

We ate in Compass Rose for dinner last night and all of you who have been singing its’ praises are absolutely correct.  Fantastic meal.  Just perfect.  I had the crab and avocado thing, and Rolf had the escargot.  Both very good.  I had the Dover Sole, and I totally agree with the person who said it is better in CR than in Chartreuse.  Rolf had the branzino and demolished it so quickly that I didn’t get a photo.  He also asked for a lobster tail, requested that it not be over cooked and he ended up with The Best Lobster Tail on Any Ship Period Dot.

I also missed getting his dessert photo but did take one of my yummy pistachio soufflé, a small few bites of perfection.  Just a wonderful meal from start to finish.  Once I upload these photos I’ll fill you in on our excursion, and our first encounter with lines on Regent.  

69321312-9F43-4BCC-8497-ED7F276ABC4F.jpeg

657897F4-FBCD-4623-93EB-4ADC8AF863B0.jpeg

AF2407A1-092D-4E4B-948D-D420FCC0F219.jpeg

478EA1E3-8617-4F62-949B-7326222A75C2.jpeg

7F20FC17-941C-40CC-80E1-EE37A77A8077.jpeg

36F552C0-8999-4CF2-AF6C-0442BAB0DCE3.jpeg

28C5E80F-A593-4477-848A-D2603C042BD0.jpeg

F37D9FE0-4A95-47A5-8490-FD5C606069DF.jpeg

902DF209-D1B8-44E9-996A-00A3847C3A06.jpeg

• Like 2

We did an airboat excursion today in Belize City, to a mangrove lagoon.  We ran into our first line as we waited for the tender.  It was about a 20 minute wait for the tender to return and to board.  Then a five mile trek to the dock.  Apparently the ship must anchor so far off shore due to the reefs, and at the request of the government of Belize.

Once that was done we boarded straight onto an air conditioned bus to for a tour of Belize City as we drove to the mangroves site.  Very knowledgeable and entertaining tour guides, I thought.  The airboat ride was fun.  I had been on one previously but Rolf had not.  I had hoped we would see manatees but they weren’t in the mood to show themselves.  I thought the tour operators did a great job.  The bus ride to and fro was about 20 minutes and the airboat ride was about 45 I think.

On the return to the dock we waited for almost 30 minutes for the tender, then some more for it to load and fill and then the return trip.  In all it took almost exactly an hour.  It was cool enough here in early March that it was a pleasant enough wait.  In July I don’t think I’d have the same opinion!  At the dock as we waited it was hot in the sun, so we all found some shade.  There were two chairs for folks who couldn’t stand that long,  but I would think a few more might be in order, considering that the ship is not full of 30 somethings.  I was fine standing but others were not.  Masks were required for the entire excursion from tender to ship and back.  I’ve included a photo of the inside of the first tender.

all in all a fine day!

25903AF9-AF43-4041-B3BB-DE3B18197FDA.jpeg

FC369748-E3B7-44E3-98D8-EEC912AC8FAA.jpeg

1DCB382D-BB36-49D3-9A17-C9EC2B9C25A1.jpeg

4BC054E9-3203-4F04-ADB4-CB7AB997D67C.jpeg

75D6BF72-99D4-4CCD-9629-5BCE199A4077.jpeg

C9225106-159A-4FF8-839B-1AC4C37DB151.jpeg

6F27E670-D7D4-427E-AB81-D8DD3A9B2956.jpeg

805DB180-7FE9-4337-98DF-BF6D50D6259D.jpeg

Edited by GeorgiaPeach51
  • Like 3

Hi GA Peach. Can you comment on Room Service meals?  The temperature and quality of food and time it takes to serve it? anything else you can say about room service including whether it was breakfast, lunch or dinner?  Thanks so much! Vanessa from GA as well!

46 minutes ago, tannie said:

Hi GA Peach. Can you comment on Room Service meals?  The temperature and quality of food and time it takes to serve it? anything else you can say about room service including whether it was breakfast, lunch or dinner?  Thanks so much! Vanessa from GA as well!

Tannie, we haven’t used room service at all.  I hope someone else on this thread can answer your questions.  Please feel free to chime in anytime, on anything on this report. The more the merrier!

My wife and I opt'd for breakfast more than a couple of times on Mariner.  The deliverer [butler] always arrived at or within a minute or two of the requested time.

The eggs and things were pleasingly warm [maybe not HOT!] and it behoved us to not wait too long before diving in.  Thankfully, the butler DID NOT open the closures to show us 'The order was correct' but rather assured us it was - and to call immediately if we needed anything else or more.

Quality wise, it was not as good as sitting in Compass Rose IRT freshness...  But the balance between convenience and culinary perfection were more than met. 

And sitting on your balcony, eating breakfast, while passing through the Gatun Locks, with the opposing ship's crew waving at you was priceless!

• Like 1

We have used room service breakfast as a wake up call before early shore excursions for years.  During our Splendor cruise last fall, we found that the quality and temperature of our breakfast were excellent.  We were able to write in our requests on the card we placed on the door the night before.  Whether we wanted an eggs Benedict with smoked salmon or four lattes for the two of us, breakfast always came on time and with a broad smile.

• Like 3

@GeorgiaPeach51, thanks again for taking the time to type this all up.  We, too, did a 'one-time' trip on Navigator in 2009, and, well, now we're booked on our 13th and 14th cruises coming up.  We just got off of Splendor in January and your photos really brought back the joy of being on board.  The more you cruise with Regent, the better it gets - you get to know the crew and the ship and each cruise is like coming home.

Yeah, funny how this gets under your skin...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/6/2022 at 7:32 PM, Not a Georgia Peach said:

Sorry for not responding to veranda and bathroom.  The bathroom on Regent Explorer was bigger than a Viking bathroom and the storage was much greater.  My husband said the shower was the best shower design he has seen (he is not easy to please).  The veranda was bigger than on the Viking veranda and the chairs were much more comfortable.  The chairs have cushions which the room staff bring in each evening.  And the veranda table was bigger.  I didn't mention comparison of excursions.  The Viking included excursions were typically crowded bus tours.  The Regent excursions were more diverse and often included a snack or drink.  We were on the LA thru the Panama Canal to Miami cruise.

@Not a Georgia Peach - I don't want to hijack this thread but how did you like the LA - Miami Panama Canal crossing?  We're booked on the upcoming one in January.  Did you write it up anywhere that I could get your thoughts on it?  Thanks!

Haven’t said much about breakfast.  We tend to eat some fruit and a pastry of some kind.  We did have breakfast one time in Compass Rose and the other morning I ventured into The Veranda for some scrambled eggs...and found the absolute best sticky bun I have ever had on a cruise ship.  Usually they are crusty and dry so I have gotten into the habit of only eating the top, where all the goodies are.  Well, I confess that I ate the whole darned thing....it was just sublime for any sticky bun lover like me.

Rolf says the blueberry muffins are the real deal.

today we went on a horseback ride on the beach, and some beach time.  Great excursion.  I have been on a horse once and Rolf never, so it was kind of a bucket list item.  He says he has watched enough John Wayne movies and enough of Yellowstone that he felt assured he would be able to finesse the ride.  🧐🙄🤗

To the beach was a short ride, about fifteen minutes in a small van.  Some reeeeaaaaalllllyyyyy narrow roads and hairpin turns.  At the beach the horses awaited.  They are all rescues.  ❤️  Some mistreated and some abandoned during Covid. They rehab them and they treat folks like us to a new experience.  If you want to do it but are nervous, here are the details.  You need to wear beach shoes, closed toe.  Shorts or capris are suggested.  You mount the horses using a wooden, solid ladder and are given some instructions.  Two guides go with you so you never have to worry and of course, the horses know the way.  My horse was the lead horse.  It was funny....he let go of her and she just walked past all the rest of the horses and took her place in the lead.  One guide said they won’t go if she is not in the lead and that if you try to make them go in a different order they won’t do it....they will arrange themselves correctly.  🥰. He said they LOVE to go in the water, come out and roll in the sand, go back in the water. I am glad they have landed in a good place after whatever hardships they had to face at the hands of humans.

our ride was about 30 minutes, I’m guessing.  Into the woods, up and down some little hills, through some gullies, the guides told us when to hold on, lean forward, lean back.  We exited the trees and they headed straight for the sea. We walked thru the water till we got back to their area.  You will get your shoes wet for sure.

There was a little colt born around .Valentine’s Day and they named her .Cupid. She stuck close to her Mom, Barbie.  

After the horse ride we had about 2 hours to enjoy the beach.  It was different and fun and well run.

Last night we went to the Meridian Bar.  I have forgotten the names of the drinks but we enjoyed them.  Dinner was in Pacific Rim....excellent once again.  We had the same things we had previously except the tempura lobster.  I think I will dream about that miso cod when we get home.

FAEC66BB-D31D-4F4C-BBBD-CD10ED8905DD.jpeg

07E3FF6F-EB55-4B8D-936B-2F024341D5C4.jpeg

329B9EBA-EB8C-4E90-B236-F169F2A48F42.jpeg

BB6EDCD7-AA6D-4D0C-AE44-C6442CD31EC3.jpeg

5FA3E56E-C872-4496-BE9E-04053C002849.jpeg

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

5FA3E56E-C872-4496-BE9E-04053C002849.jpeg.556728388dc2306379f5c0841ab45981.thumb.jpeg.808eee0abb3c492b788f420a34508901.jpeg

You're going this think I'm nuts for asking this, but do all the bars on Regent ships use these small ice pellets in their drinks?  I ask because a few weeks ago at the Westin Maui we were served drinks with these and found they melted quite quickly, watering down our drinks.

By the way, thank you so much for your interesting posts.  We're enjoying sailing with you.

Edited by -Lew-
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

Haven’t said much about breakfast.  We tend to eat some fruit and a pastry of some kind.  We did have breakfast one time in Compass Rose and the other morning I ventured into The Veranda for some scrambled eggs...and found the absolute best sticky bun I have ever had on a cruise ship.  Usually they are crusty and dry so I have gotten into the habit of only eating the top, where all the goodies are.  Well, I confess that I ate the whole darned thing....it was just sublime for any sticky bun lover like me.

Rolf says the blueberry muffins are the real deal.

today we went on a horseback ride on the beach, and some beach time.  Great excursion.  I have been on a horse once and Rolf never, so it was kind of a bucket list item.  He says he has watched enough John Wayne movies and enough of Yellowstone that he felt assured he would be able to finesse the ride.  🧐🙄🤗

To the beach was a short ride, about fifteen minutes in a small van.  Some reeeeaaaaalllllyyyyy narrow roads and hairpin turns.  At the beach the horses awaited.  They are all rescues.  ❤️  Some mistreated and some abandoned during Covid. They rehab them and they treat folks like us to a new experience.  If you want to do it but are nervous, here are the details.  You need to wear beach shoes, closed toe.  Shorts or capris are suggested.  You mount the horses using a wooden, solid ladder and are given some instructions.  Two guides go with you so you never have to worry and of course, the horses know the way.  My horse was the lead horse.  It was funny....he let go of her and she just walked past all the rest of the horses and took her place in the lead.  One guide said they won’t go if she is not in the lead and that if you try to make them go in a different order they won’t do it....they will arrange themselves correctly.  🥰. He said they LOVE to go in the water, come out and roll in the sand, go back in the water. I am glad they have landed in a good place after whatever hardships they had to face at the hands of humans.

our ride was about 30 minutes, I’m guessing.  Into the woods, up and down some little hills, through some gullies, the guides told us when to hold on, lean forward, lean back.  We exited the trees and they headed straight for the sea. We walked thru the water till we got back to their area.  You will get your shoes wet for sure.

There was a little colt born around .Valentine’s Day and they named her .Cupid. She stuck close to her Mom, Barbie.  

After the horse ride we had about 2 hours to enjoy the beach.  It was different and fun and well run.

Last night we went to the Meridian Bar.  I have forgotten the names of the drinks but we enjoyed them.  Dinner was in Pacific Rim....excellent once again.  We had the same things we had previously except the tempura lobster.  I think I will dream about that miso cod when we get home.

FAEC66BB-D31D-4F4C-BBBD-CD10ED8905DD.jpeg

07E3FF6F-EB55-4B8D-936B-2F024341D5C4.jpeg

329B9EBA-EB8C-4E90-B236-F169F2A48F42.jpeg

BB6EDCD7-AA6D-4D0C-AE44-C6442CD31EC3.jpeg

5FA3E56E-C872-4496-BE9E-04053C002849.jpeg

A lovely, good news story about the horses, so glad they've found a safe home. Thanks for enclosing pics of them. 🐎😘

• Like 1

We're boarding on Sunday for Caribbean and looking forward to a new cruise line for us. Please tell me if the gentleman are wearing mostly sport coats at night or casual collared shirts. My husband usually brings a sports coat and winds up taking it off or leaving it in the room because it's Caribbean warm and casual.  Opinion?

7 minutes ago, sb44 said:

We're boarding on Sunday for Caribbean and looking forward to a new cruise line for us. Please tell me if the gentleman are wearing mostly sport coats at night or casual collared shirts. My husband usually brings a sports coat and winds up taking it off or leaving it in the room because it's Caribbean warm and casual.  Opinion?

I am excited for you!  I hope you will report back to us about what you think?  We have met multiple couples for which this is a first Regent cruise.....many coming from cancelled Crystal cruises.

I would say about 1/4 sports coats max and the remainder collared shirts.  My husband likes wearing a sports coat, and does.  Your husband will be fine with either.  Rolf usually gets hot with with a jacket but has not on this trip so far.

We are enjoying not having formal nights...but I have seen several ladies in long dresses and looking fabulous, so that is ok, too.  It is obvious that no one cares what you wear as long as you are in the very generous ballpark (IMO) of requested clothing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, -Lew- said:

You're going this think I'm nuts for asking this, but do all the bars on Regent ships use these small ice pellets in their drinks?  I ask because a few weeks ago at the Westin Maui we were served drinks with these and found they melted quite quickly, watering down our drinks.

By the way, thank you so much for your interesting posts.  We're enjoying sailing with you.

Lew, I am glad to report that I have yet to encounter an ice pellet, and I know exactly what you mean by ice pellets, and how aggravating they are in an otherwise perfect drink.

I’m glad you are following along.  This is my attempt to repay all the wise Regent cruisers who shared previously and so generously when we were agonizing over booking this cruise line in hopes of finding a new cruise home.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

I am excited for you!  I hope you will report back to us about what you think?  We have met multiple couples for which this is a first Regent cruise.....many coming from cancelled Crystal cruises.

I would say about 1/4 sports coats max and the remainder collared shirts.  My husband likes wearing a sports coat, and does.  Your husband will be fine with either.  Rolf usually gets hot with with a jacket but has not on this trip so far.

We are enjoying not having formal nights...but I have seen several ladies in long dresses and looking fabulous, so that is ok, too.  It is obvious that no one cares what you wear as long as you are in the very generous ballpark (IMO) of requested clothing.

Thanks so much. Our last two cruises were  Crystal and I think Regent is going to fit us well. Crystal felt a little stuffy but that's probably because we are most comfortable on Windstar's smaller, relaxed, ships and have sailed with them 20 times. We didn't want to fly to the islands this year so these US departures have been great. We'll probably do a TA on the QM2 later this summer. Loved that experience in the past and bypassed 3 formal nights with specialty restaurants.  Years ago we used to go on HA's smaller ships but they just lost our interest with mediocre food and service. I am so excited to board on Sunday and love being able to drive to Miami's Seaport. I grew up on Miami Beach so it's a trip home and then a cruise! Can't wait!

16 minutes ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

Lew, I am glad to report that I have yet to encounter an ice pellet, and I know exactly what you mean by ice pellets, and how aggravating they are in an otherwise perfect drink.

I’m glad you are following along.  This is my attempt to repay all the wise Regent cruisers who shared previously and so generously when we were agonizing over booking this cruise line in hopes of finding a new cruise home.

Whew...  I can breathe a sigh of relief.  To me the ice in your drink looked like hail rather than cubes.  Thank you for setting me straight.

We've also booked our first Regent cruise on the Splendor in 2023.  Your posts are making me wish it were sooner.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, sb44 said:

Thanks so much. Our last two cruises were  Crystal and I think Regent is going to fit us well. Crystal felt a little stuffy but that's probably because we are most comfortable on Windstar's smaller, relaxed, ships and have sailed with them 20 times. We didn't want to fly to the islands this year so these US departures have been great. We'll probably do a TA on the QM2 later this summer. Loved that experience in the past and bypassed 3 formal nights with specialty restaurants.  Years ago we used to go on HA's smaller ships but they just lost our interest with mediocre food and service. I am so excited to board on Sunday and love being able to drive to Miami's Seaport. I grew up on Miami Beach so it's a trip home and then a cruise! Can't wait!

I’m really looking forward to anything you would like to share on a Regent/Windstar comparison. I’m looking forward very much to our Regent trip, but I am and mostly my husband not sure we will be comfortable on a much larger ship. I would love to hear your thoughts on the amount of outdoor space available while underway.

Odds and ends.

I have not spoken to a single soul that does not love this cruise....and I’ve talked to a bunch of folks.

puzzled as to why 20 year port is an additional charge.  Rolf is accustomed to it being part of the beverage package on Celebrity.

we have not taken the time to explore dance options.  Tonight is the night.  Stay tuned.

This is day 7 and the sommelier presence is as it began.  They are right there no matter where you are.  

The staff is just so charming.  Human Resources on Regent is right on target with their hiring.  I used to hire people, and sometimes I was just praying for a person who made eye contact.  🧐🙄🥴

One announcement per day, basically. 

And I know I said it before but I love not having poor little photographers begging me to stop for a photo, and most egregious of all, interrupting our dinner to try to get a photo we were never going to buy.

Met a nice couple yesterday.  They did it right.  This cruise is their first.  They started with Regent!  We, on the other hand, meandered through Carnival, HAL, Princess, Disney and Celebrity before realizing the error of our ways.  I want all that money back for a do-over!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

Odds and ends.

I have not spoken to a single soul that does not love this cruise....and I’ve talked to a bunch of folks.

puzzled as to why 20 year port is an additional charge.  Rolf is accustomed to it being part of the beverage package on Celebrity.

we have not taken the time to explore dance options.  Tonight is the night.  Stay tuned.

This is day 7 and the sommelier presence is as it began.  They are right there no matter where you are.  

The staff is just so charming.  Human Resources on Regent is right on target with their hiring.  I used to hire people, and sometimes I was just praying for a person who made eye contact.  🧐🙄🥴

One announcement per day, basically. 

And I know I said it before but I love not having poor little photographers begging me to stop for a photo, and most egregious of all, interrupting our dinner to try to get a photo we were never going to buy.

Met a nice couple yesterday.  They did it right.  This cruise is their first.  They started with Regent!  We, on the other hand, meandered through Carnival, HAL, Princess, Disney and Celebrity before realizing the error of our ways.  I want all that money back for a do-over!

Wouldn't we all like do-overs on some of the old lines.  We are old enough to have gone on The Big Red Boat! And some 70s booze cruises. The one I'd give anything to do again would be Windjammer on the Yankee Clipper. That was one gorgeous sailing yacht.

2 hours ago, sb44 said:

I am not bringing a sport coat. I have never brought one on Oceania either and never felt out of place. Just bringing collared shirts and dress shirts for dinner. 

See you Sunday 

• Thanks 1

On 3/7/2022 at 3:03 PM, tannie said:

I can tell we’ve found it to be excellent - service outstanding.  We told are Butler what time and that was the time he returned.  It’s best to plan a little, not waiting until the last moment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sb44 said:

Wouldn't we all like do-overs on some of the old lines.  We are old enough to have gone on The Big Red Boat! And some 70s booze cruises. The one I'd give anything to do again would be Windjammer on the Yankee Clipper. That was one gorgeous sailing yacht.

You may want to add SeaDreams—never, never had a bad cruise with them.

• Like 1