Testing question (please don't hang me out to dry)!

gigem_aggies

15 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Why are you telling us stuff that we already know?  This is pretty basic info.

Because the OP starting this tread specifically asked if the Walgreens rapid ID now test (which is an NAAT test) will suffice when NCL specifically states an antigen or per test.   NOT a NAAT.   Many have said a PCR and NAAT test in the thread are the same thing, they are not.   A PCR test is a very specific type of NAAT test and that is not what the Walgreens rapid ID now test is.   Obviously, at least to me, many here do not understand the differences in NAAT tests generically vs. a specific PCR test.   I am glad you do then according to your message.   

11 minutes ago, Married90 said:

Because the OP starting this tread specifically asked if the Walgreens rapid ID now test (which is an NAAT test) will suffice when NCL specifically states an antigen or per test.   NOT a NAAT.   Many have said a PCR and NAAT test in the thread are the same thing, they are not.   A PCR test is a very specific type of NAAT test and that is not what the Walgreens rapid ID now test is.   Obviously, at least to me, many here do not understand the differences in NAAT tests generically vs. a specific PCR test.   I am glad you do then according to your message.   

My understanding is NCL will accept  Walgreens rapid ID now test.   Yes is it not PCR but it's between antigen and PCR for sensitivity so they will accept.  It is a molecular test.  Aslo NCL's protocols are not written in legalese.   PCR is not defined...

Edited by davencl
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Married90 said:

It was (obviously) a joke. 

Just a gripe.... I don't understand how they recommend to get a Scarlett-Concierge test when it says when you sign up it takes 1-3 days for results after sample reaches their lab, but you have to test within 2 days of boarding.  Sounds like you're pushing it using something THEY recommend?

(i.e. https://www.emed.com/) or BioReference-Scarlett Concierge testing service (BioReference sends a qualified medical professional to you to conduct your test), within two days prior to boarding for cruises originating in a U.S

Edited by Morecruises1

I actually went ahead and scheduled a test for TODAY so I could see what the results look like and show them to NCL to see if they will accept it.  (Side note:  I also scheduled the appointment today because I had Covid in early January and have heard you can still test positive on both this Rapid ID Now test and a regular PCR test for months, even after you are recovered, so I wanted to see if that happened.  I have tested negative on an antigen test multiple times since recovering.)

3 hours ago, gigem_aggies said:

I actually went ahead and scheduled a test for TODAY so I could see what the results look like and show them to NCL to see if they will accept it.  (Side note:  I also scheduled the appointment today because I had Covid in early January and have heard you can still test positive on both this Rapid ID Now test and a regular PCR test for months, even after you are recovered, so I wanted to see if that happened.  I have tested negative on an antigen test multiple times since recovering.)

My NAAT was still showing positive 5 weeks after my first test and 2 days before my cruise.  Antigen test was negative at pier.  I would probably do a proctored antigen if I were cruising in the next couple of weeks.

The most stressful part of planning right now for me is the figuring out the when/how/what covid test.  

Looking forward to the day we no longer need to do this. With more destinations removing travel restrictions, any wagers when that will be for NCL?

13 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

It has to generate a report from a testing agency. If it just an at home test without proctor, no it does not qualify. NCL has two trustee vendors. We just did an Emed test at home and it was easy as can be. Report immediately emailed to me. 

What are the testing hours for emed? Trying to figure out if we can squeeze them in before work and school before committing to buying a kit.

I emailed emed a couple days ago wondering if we needed to set up a day/time for testing - this was their response (I'd feel better if they had said "will" rather than "should" lol):

Welcome to eMed customer support team. I will be happy to assist you with your inquiries regarding our working hours.  
Since we do understand the importance for all our customers to be tested in time, our specialized team of certified guides are currently working 24/7 including weekends and holidays. Due to this, you should be able to take your test at the most convenient time for you without setting any kind of appointment.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, fsupharm77 said:

My NAAT was still showing positive 5 weeks after my first test and 2 days before my cruise.  Antigen test was negative at pier.  I would probably do a proctored antigen if I were cruising in the next couple of weeks.

This happened to a friend, too!  But, my NAAT test yesterday was negative, so IF NCL gets back to me and tells me it will be accepted, I'll go ahead and use that next week.  I have a rapid antigen test scheduled as well--it's just not as convenient of a location (40 miles from home vs. down the street).

• Like 1

22 hours ago, zzupschuck said:

The ID Now test is a PCR test.  It is accepted.  Going to Walgreens 2 weeks from today for my test...3/20 Breakaway Cruise.

IDNow is a molecular test but it is not, strictly speaking, a PCR test.

It is a rapid NAAT test.  It is more sensitive than an antigen test (so if NCL is being logical, they should accept it).  It is however less sensitive than a traditional PCR test.  So some places that require a PCR test may not accept a rapid NAAT.  I doubt NCL will fall into that category if they consider antigen testing adequate.  Still, one must be careful about the terminology as some travel destinations may be sticklers.

• Like 1

On 3/4/2022 at 10:14 AM, zzupschuck said:

The ID Now test is a PCR test.  It is accepted.  Going to Walgreens 2 weeks from today for my test...3/20 Breakaway Cruise.

I thought about doing a test at Walgreens and decided to do the at home test. Good thing is there are plenty of options.

Edited by raschueller

12 hours ago, 14pp said:

What are the testing hours for emed? Trying to figure out if we can squeeze them in before work and school before committing to buying a kit.

24/7 they also do testing for returning to the US.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 5onadime said:

The most stressful part of planning right now for me is the figuring out the when/how/what covid test.  

Looking forward to the day we no longer need to do this. With more destinations removing travel restrictions, any wagers when that will be for NCL?

The home test is pretty easy and you get six of them so it takes care of the whole issue for about a year.

1 minute ago, raschueller said:

The home test is pretty easy and ... for about a year.

#cough #cough, hmmm - are you sure ??  Best to look closely at the production date(s) and expiration/valid dates to use ... It might be ineffective much sooner than a year. 

We have self-test home kits from iHealth, Roche and BinaxNow with EUA & latest expiration date is August 2022, or about 6 months ... one box is good until this April, being the earliest batch via employer HR.   

The Rapids Diagnostic Test (ID Now) from Walgreens that we utilized and was accepted in October for our NCL Greece Cruise states on the results:

Test Ordered:

Rapid Diagnostic Test (Nucleic Acid Amplification Test NAAT)

Just off the Escape this morning, and also 3 weeks ago.

Used Walgreens'  Binax ID Now both times.  

For both those cruises, we did those tests as "insurance" because NCL was still doing mandatory testing at the pier, which is why've been giving those results only a passing glance.

As of today, testing at the pier will no longer be done, so the 2-day prior tests will be looked at more closely.

the Binax ID Now tests have been accepted by both NCL & Celebrity, and we'd assume all other lines as well.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Robkat said:

Just off the Escape this morning, and also 3 weeks ago.

Used Walgreens'  Binax ID Now both times.  

For both those cruises, we did those tests as "insurance" because NCL was still doing mandatory testing at the pier, which is why've been giving those results only a passing glance.

As of today, testing at the pier will no longer be done, so the 2-day prior tests will be looked at more closely.

the Binax ID Now tests have been accepted by both NCL & Celebrity, and we'd assume all other lines as well.

Yes they are but they must be proctored if done at home.

On 3/4/2022 at 12:58 PM, Married90 said:

Obviously you know much more about these things than anyone else does...BUT...the IDNow test provided for FREE by Walgreens is accepted by NCL.  Whether or not it's accepted by you...the OP asked if the Walgreens IDNow test was accepted by NCL...and it is.

• Thanks 1

On 3/4/2022 at 1:58 PM, Married90 said:

Actually the OP specifically asked if anyone knew whether the test in question was accepted by NCL.  To answer the actual question asked, I know.

35 minutes ago, MoCruiseFan said:

Actually the OP specifically asked if anyone knew whether the test in question was accepted by NCL.  To answer the actual question asked, I know.

Usual childish response, grow up.

17 hours ago, davencl said:

Yes they are but they must be proctored if done at home.

Walgreen's ID-NOW is done at the store under the supervision of someone from the pharmacy, typically at the drive thru window. It's not a take home test. So the proctored part isn't a problem.