Anyone Else Watch Webinar Yesterday?

ORV

I'm surprised there hasn't been any discussion about this. It looks like a lot of restrictions are going to be lightening up. Gottlieb mentioned that vax might not be required by next fall or winter. Looks like those really wanting strong measures are going to be disappointed. 

• Like 1

Yes, I watched it and was disappointed that a number of questions I had posed in writing before the event were not answered. Frankly, I was looking for more specifics and while the session was educational I wanted more specifics. I also expect since it was specifically for TA’s with passengers being allowed to listen in that it did not provide more specifics for them either. I sent as email to Frank Del Rio afterward and he answered me almost immediately and said he agreed that the session could have been improved. We exchanged a few emails during the day and will talk further since I offered some suggestions for improving using social media for communications and question answers for the Oceania, Regent and Their NCL brands. Many years ago when he founded Oceania he (FDR) was regularly on Cruise Critic boards answering questions and I hope he can set up a process for someone to continue that process in the future.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ORV said:

I'm surprised there hasn't been any discussion about this. It looks like a lot of restrictions are going to be lightening up. Gottlieb mentioned that vax might not be required by next fall or winter. Looks like those really wanting strong measures are going to be disappointed. 

Yes -I was extremely disappointed. Yet I do not see O dropping the vax requirement for quite some time.

1 hour ago, ORV said:

Guess it all depends on your perspective and how you interpret the research regarding vaccinations (e.g., as they relate to death, illness, hospitalization or transmissibility).

I found it fascinating on Riviera 12/13-23/21 that no one seemed to care or complain or discuss the issues. The 719 passengers seemed to appreciate cruising again and we were willing to take the risks. Seemingly a great safe time had by all. And while the CDC reported COVID cases on board ships then and now (e.g., as also reported in the WSJ for mass dissemination by the press), I've never seen any breakdown in cruising in this time frame by way of deaths, hospitalizations or serious injuries, as opposed to being asymptomatic or with very mild symptoms.

It does appear that Omicron has changed the world for the better. And now we're moving into COVID being more akin to the flu, a reduced endemic condition rather than a pandemic. Now if everyone would just get vaccinated & boosted!

• Like 2

I watched it, but through a different prism. Is it possible that unvaccinated cruisers might be able to do the Carribe or Canada/NE US this fall or winter? Yeh, maybe. Do I believe they’ll be allowed into Europe , for the next several years, without vaccinations? Not a chance. China, Japan, OZ, NZ? Not a chance, imo.

Therefore, Oceania can claim “ our policy is”, yet the reality is they’re governed by the countries in which they sail. After the Marina left EU waters, it removed the onboard face mask Policy. But while in EU waters….

I did not watch it because it's clear to me it would be all speculation.  Right now where I live, no one is wearing masks.  In Japan the Omnicron is running rampant with major constraints on the population.   There continue to be variants bubbling up in South Africa.  How can any conclusion be reached?  What the CDC says today is obsolete tomw.

On 3/4/2022 at 9:02 AM, HiFi43 said:

Many years ago when he founded Oceania he (FDR) was regularly on Cruise Critic boards answering questions and I hope he can set up a process for someone to continue that process in the future.

Thats what I thought I was doing...

Jancruz1

• Like 9

Jancruz-
I've followed you through the years on CCritic and have always valued your knowledge and advice.  (You and i were at a special dinner at Capt Flokos' retirement cruise)

we sailed ATW16, attempted to ATW20 and 2022 and have reservations for 2023 and today made our down payment for ATW24.

Here's my question--  why can we only seem to make reservations for LA-NY (180 days) and not the Miami-NY (196 days)? 

We have checked and our reserved cabin is currently not for sale Miami-LA so why can't WE have it for 196 days?  Our TA is also confused.

Is Miami-LA to be a segment and why would Oceania do that and not sell it as a 196?  (we are high on the wait list for 196 )  

My husband suspects that "this is not an Oceania policy decision but is an artifact of assumptions loaded into the IT systems."  (yes he is a total geek)  

I can't be the only one that wants to leave from Miami!!  Thank you for any help you can give us. 

On 3/4/2022 at 9:02 AM, HiFi43 said:

Many years ago when he founded Oceania he (FDR) was regularly on Cruise Critic boards answering questions and I hope he can set up a process for someone to continue that process in the future.

JanCruz1 is fulfilling that duty.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, cbb said:

Jancruz-
I've followed you through the years on CCritic and have always valued your knowledge and advice.  (You and i were at a special dinner at Capt Flokos' retirement cruise)

we sailed ATW16, attempted to ATW20 and 2022 and have reservations for 2023 and today made our down payment for ATW24.

Here's my question--  why can we only seem to make reservations for LA-NY (180 days) and not the Miami-NY (196 days)? 

We have checked and our reserved cabin is currently not for sale Miami-LA so why can't WE have it for 196 days?  Our TA is also confused.

Is Miami-LA to be a segment and why would Oceania do that and not sell it as a 196?  (we are high on the wait list for 196 )  

My husband suspects that "this is not an Oceania policy decision but is an artifact of assumptions loaded into the IT systems."  (yes he is a total geek)  

I can't be the only one that wants to leave from Miami!!  Thank you for any help you can give us. 

Let me check...

Jancruz1

Jancruz--the situation has resolved itself

i have posted this on ATW24 main page and in our roll call....it bears repeating.

"well....well .... well.

10 minutes ago our TA was on the phone giving an O rep our credit card # for the deposit for ATW24- 180 days.

He asked the agent he was speaking with why we could not have the 196 cruise.  The agent said 'let me go ask' and got an immediate reply...'of course you can sell them the 196 with their cabin # they have reserved for 180.'

our TA was momentarily speechless because that was not what he was originally told. 

Moral of this story:  as always, call O.  Seriously, if you do not like that answer you've been given, call again, or ask to speak to a supervisor.  This has happened to us over and over .....sigh

kudos to our TA for asking!"

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pinotlover said:

I watched it, but through a different prism. Is it possible that unvaccinated cruisers might be able to do the Carribe or Canada/NE US this fall or winter? Yeh, maybe. Do I believe they’ll be allowed into Europe , for the next several years, without vaccinations? Not a chance. China, Japan, OZ, NZ? Not a chance, imo.

Therefore, Oceania can claim “ our policy is”, yet the reality is they’re governed by the countries in which they sail. After the Marina left EU waters, it removed the onboard face mask Policy. But while in EU waters….

I also watched "through a different prism" - that of a shareholder of NCLH.  And frankly a consumer trying to understand why Oceania in particular - in my recent experience - has what I consider sub-par intransigent customer service.

I think the answer is found in the webinar and recent earnings call for the webinar, that I found disappointing from a shareholder and a potential customer point of view is that NCLH is in the camp if it ain't broke don't fix it. 

Strong booking positions and solid pricing (per FDR earning call last month) and news that AWT24 sold out in 30 minutes (with 42% repeat customers from AWT22 - per MT Newswires) leads to the conclusion that NCLH has something that is working rather well with little effort to mollify unhappy customers.  There are a ton of customers out there that are happy to give their money to NCLH.  Why would the company do anything different or provide more  than they did at the webinar.  (As someone said elsewhere on CC - customers' value is on the right side of a decimal point). 

As a potential customer, the lingering impression I have, unless one has access to FDR or Mr. Binder or mega cruiser status we get well, um....eh,

As an investor it is more complicated.  But as an investor who owns what they use, it is much simpler.  But wait, the stock is getting pummeled.  

52 minutes ago, cbb said:

Jancruz--the situation has resolved itself

i have posted this on ATW24 main page and in our roll call....it bears repeating.

"well....well .... well.

10 minutes ago our TA was on the phone giving an O rep our credit card # for the deposit for ATW24- 180 days.

He asked the agent he was speaking with why we could not have the 196 cruise.  The agent said 'let me go ask' and got an immediate reply...'of course you can sell them the 196 with their cabin # they have reserved for 180.'

our TA was momentarily speechless because that was not what he was originally told. 

Moral of this story:  as always, call O.  Seriously, if you do not like that answer you've been given, call again, or ask to speak to a supervisor.  This has happened to us over and over .....sigh

kudos to our TA for asking!"

Perfect..I did get that answer..

Jancruz1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1