Holland America Line pop quiz

Copper10-8

3 hours ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

Rotterdam, of course was the original.

Stamford, CT was the new American HQ.

Seattle, WA to the present partly to be closer to the Alaska operations.

The older arrival pier was Hoboken before pier 40(?) in NYC.

Nice job Pete! 🙂

• Like 1

All current / eleven HAL ships are registered in Rotterdam, the Netherlands, the city of birth of the line, with that city's name being displayed on the stern of the ship below her given name. However, there were times when HAL ships were registered elsewhere. Where would that have been?

Holland America cruise ship to dock in Florida port with 77 people showing  flu-like symptoms | WFLA

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Copper10-8 said:

All current / eleven HAL ships are registered in Rotterdam, the Netherlands, the city of birth of the line, with that city's name being displayed on the stern of the ship below her given name. However, there were times when HAL ships were registered elsewhere. Where would that have been?

2 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Holland America cruise ship to dock in Florida port with 77 people showing  flu-like symptoms | WFLA

Willemstad Curaçao 

2 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Willemstad Curaçao 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, john2003 said:

As I look at the pictures, the thing that I really miss are the classic funnel colours. What a loss of history and class!

Yeah, that yellow funnel with the green/white/green colors of the city of Rotterdam (see official city coat of arms below) sure stood out, without a doubt

Flag of Rotterdam City, Netherlands. Stock Illustration - Illustration of  emblem, coat: 86165127

Vasco da Gama

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

And before handover, when under yard flag, newbuilds are registered in Nassau during sea trials.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alphen said:

And before handover, when under yard flag, newbuilds are registered in Nassau during sea trials.

That's true also, but one dam ship remained registered to Nassau and sailed under Bahamian flag for ten years after being accepted from the yard! Do you know the name of that ship? 😉 

3 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

That's true also, but one dam ship remained registered to Nassau and sailed under Bahamian flag for ten years after being accepted from the yard! Do you know the name of that ship? 😉 

Nope, not without Google 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Nieuw Amsterdam III?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Veendam III, a guess..

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Yeah, that yellow funnel with the green/white/green colors of the city of Rotterdam (see official city coat of arms below) sure stood out, without a doubt

Flag of Rotterdam City, Netherlands. Stock Illustration - Illustration of  emblem, coat: 86165127

Vasco da Gama

This is better:

2861943307_f6f60dc882_b.thumb.jpg.00dcc6bb31759d9469469ff7531cc98e.jpg

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Alphen said:

Nope, not without Google 

No probs; so the fourth, and last, of the "S"-class ships, Veendam, joined HAL on May 1, 1996. She holds the distinction of being the first HAL ship built at Fincantieri's Marghera yard (all of HAL's new-builds since then have been constructed at Marghera). Her three older sisters had all been constructed at the builder's Monfalcone yard. She then commenced a transatlantic crossing, with crew but without passengers, to Ft. Lauderdale, Fl. under the command of Captain Hans “Eul” Eulderink. Upon her arrival at Port Everglades, she sailed a number of short cruises for the benefit of travel industry professionals as well as VIP’s.  

On May 25, 1996 she was named in Ft. Lauderdale by her godmother, actress Debbie Reynolds and sailed that same afternoon on her maiden voyage, a ten-day Western Caribbean cruise with port calls at Key West, FL, Playa del Carmen/Cozumel, Mexico, Ocho Rios, Jamaica and Georgetown, Grand Cayman.

Upon the completion of her inaugural cruise, Captain Eulderink and his entire Dutch bridge and engine team of officers were replaced by British officers due to a shortage of Dutch Deck and Engineering officers within Holland America Line at the time. For several years after, Veendam would remain the only vessel in the then eight-ship HAL fleet with a deck and engine department staffed by Brit officers (Captain Jonathan Mercer and then Chief Officer, later Captain, Peter Harris were some of the first).

In addition, she would remain the only Bahamian-registered ship in the fleet until January 10, 2006 when she was registered in Rotterdam and began flying the red/white/blue national tri-colors of the Netherlands (see below 2 pics)

Nieuwe pagina 2

veendam%20ned%20vlag.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Alphen said:

Willemstad Curaçao 

In 1973 and 1974 the entire HAL fleet at the time (Rotterdam V, Statendam IV, Prinsendam I, Volendam II and Veendam III) went from being registered in Rotterdam, the Netherlands to a registration to Willemstad, Curacao in the then Netherlands Antilles. The reason? Curacao taxed according to a ship's tonnage; the Netherlands' progressive tax system  taxed on the profit made by a ship 

Cheap Southern Caribbean Cruises on CruiseCheap.com

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 3/22/2022 at 8:35 PM, Copper10-8 said:

1978 saw the move of the head office from Rotterdam in the original home land to Stamford, Connecticut. Some staff in the old head office on the Wilhelminakade would remain there until 1983 when it was closed down and allowed to deteriorate. Luckily, the Rotterdam City Council made a decision in the early nineties to renovate the historic and classic building with its brass green turrets as the Hotel New York.

The Rotterdam City Council had nothing to do with it . Three entrepreneurs from Rotterdam who already had several successful clubs and restaurants bought the building and started Hotel NY . When the pier became better accessible, the place was a hit. Reservations had to be made for like 2-3 months in advance. Westcord group bought the place in 2006. Westcord also operates the s.s. Rotterdam.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, rotjeknor said:

The Rotterdam City Council had nothing to do with it . Three entrepreneurs from Rotterdam who already had several successful clubs and restaurants bought the building and started Hotel NY . When the pier became better accessible, the place was a hit. Reservations had to be made for like 2-3 months in advance. Westcord group bought the place in 2006. Westcord also operates the s.s. Rotterdam.

Feyenoord still in 3rd place? 😝

Just now, Copper10-8 said:

Feyenoord still in 3rd place? 😝

No problem. If you saw last Sunday’s match and read and heard all the comments made by the pundits on the gross mistakes made by the ref and video ref and the way Feyenoord played the first 60 minutes , we are the moral winner. No points for that.

I’m Feyenoord till I die, wether we win or lose.

Oh by the way , is ajax still playing in an European competition? 😎😁🙈😂🤣

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, rotjeknor said:

No problem. If you saw last Sunday’s match and read and heard all the comments made by the pundits on the gross mistakes made by the ref and video ref and the way Feyenoord played the first 60 minutes , we are the moral winner. No points for that.

I’m Feyenoord till I die, wether we win or lose.

Oh by the way , is ajax still playing in an European competition? 😎😁🙈😂🤣

Objection Your Honor! Stating facts not in evidence! Yes, I was born and raised in Amsterdam, but I was NEVER an Ajax fan! At the time, A'dam had two professional football teams, and I was always a true DWS (later FC Amsterdam) fan 🙂  Btw, I'm just messin' with ya! I still root for ALL Dutch teams in international play, incl. that former team of Wimpie Jansen, RIP, from Rotjeknor with a connection to Holland America Line!   

7 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Objection Your Honor! Stating facts not in evidence! Yes, I was born and raised in Amsterdam, but I was NEVER an Ajax fan! At the time, A'dam had two professional football teams, and I was always a true DWS (later FC Amsterdam) fan 🙂  Btw, I'm just messin' with ya! I still root for ALL Dutch teams in international play, incl. that former team of Wimpie Jansen, RIP, from Rotjeknor with a connection to Holland America Line!   

I stand corrected!  DWS (Door Wilskracht Sterker)had several players that later played for Feyenoord Rotterdam , like Iron Rinus Israel , Snoetje Nico Janssen, Gerard vd Lem.

Good to know that I’m not dealing with an ajax fan 😁….

But back to the HAL , what’s your next question, quizmaster? 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, rotjeknor said:

I stand corrected!  DWS (Door Wilskracht Sterker)had several players that later played for Feyenoord Rotterdam , like Iron Rinus Israel , Snoetje Nico Janssen, Gerard vd Lem.

Good to know that I’m not dealing with an ajax fan 😁….

But back to the HAL , what’s your next question, quizmaster? 

Saw all three of those players in het Olympisch Stadion / the Olympic Stadium in Amsterdam when my dad worked for the KNVB (referee evaluator) and took me to those games as a kid! What stands out also is half-time in the "kantine" and a "broodje kroket" 😉 

The next edition of the HAL daily pop quiz will come out tomorrow morning after I wake-up. Good night / Welterusten! 

• Like 1

Up until and including 1968, HAL had an additional rank that was given to the senior captain who always was in command of the largest ship in the fleet, often times the flagship of the company. What was that rank? For a bonus, an entirely new department was created onboard the dam ships that same year; which department?

• Like 1