Grand Northern Europe Voyage - Lisbon to Stockholm - May 6, 2022 to June 28, 2022

mysty

It is a tricky one.  There is so little covid round here now (at least, people are obviously not testing or being ill) that virtually no one is wearing a mask.  Met a friend for coffee this morning, and no one including the staff were wearing them (including me, I have to say).  But obviously being on a ship is very different, and  difficult if passengers are not forced to wear them.

Hope this turns out to be a nice leg of your trip, with congenial fellow passengers, and  more sunny weather.  Looking forward to reports from several of you!

Lola

• Like 1

Just now, lincslady said:

You are not going to put on weight at this rate, Mysty.  Hope you got a late lunch when you got back.

Lola

We scurried up to the Pool deck.  Wonderful gentleman named William is taking wonderful care of us!  He knows Myster enjoys the fish of the day and sets us up in our favourite location away from the Maddening Crowds.   Sorry if grumpy is squeaking out!

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, CruzinFeraBruzin said:

Wow, this was close to us. We were in 653 from Athens - Lisbon for 37 days. Arjan was our butler.  Super nice guy.  Loved being on deck 6 midship.  

We have the same butler in 657. 
Capt announced the latest numbers 20 pax,some with mild symptoms and some with no symptoms, some of which are in transit. There were 5 crew. 

• Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Dynjandi is beautiful! We anchored in the bay and rode the zodiac ashore, and hiked up. Chris has that picture on her computer as her wallpaper. Glad you got to see it.

Off topic here but Chris, you did not comment about the new Trader Joe product shown on post #13558 in the Water Cooler......

• Haha 1

Just now, Tothesunset said:

That would funny with a tiny little chair. 

Sorry, poor taste. 

I needed that laugh TTS!  Myster and I are struggling to stay clear of the nasty.   We have about 27 days left for this cruise and we really don't want to miss any of them because people are playing fast and loose with the rules.   Dress code violations are one thing and disrespect for fellow passengers is closer to a mortal sin. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, mysty said:

I needed that laugh TTS!  Myster and I are struggling to stay clear of the nasty.   We have about 27 days left for this cruise and we really don't want to miss any of them because people are playing fast and loose with the rules.   Dress code violations are one thing and disrespect for fellow passengers is closer to a mortal sin. 

I'm so sorry the count is going in the wrong direction.  I think when you started in Lisbon, there were little to no cases.  When the Grand Europe Voyage started in Athens on March 30th, by the time it got to Turkey, there were between 20-50 cases on board, depending on who you talked to.  At the time, the captain was not making daily announcements which led to a lot of bad information.  Suddenly, the daily announcements started while we were in the Adriatic which put guests more at ease.   The Moon had a captain change in Rome, which is the captain you have now.  He was a bit more informative with the details concerning cases.  Mask wearing was pretty heavy in the beginning, but by the time we got to France, more and more just didn't bother.  We wore the thin masks they provided in your suite while onboard, but wore an N95 mask when we went on excursions.  Starting in Spain, the local guides were instructed by Silversea to constantly remind guests to wear masks on the bus.  Every time we were tested, we said a little prayer, as we didn't want to end up getting moved to the front of deck 6.  Mysty and zqtchas, stay healthy and safe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, CruzinFeraBruzin said:

I'm so sorry the count is going in the wrong direction.  I think when you started in Lisbon, there were little to no cases.  When the Grand Europe Voyage started in Athens on March 30th, by the time it got to Turkey, there were between 20-50 cases on board, depending on who you talked to.  At the time, the captain was not making daily announcements which led to a lot of bad information.  Suddenly, the daily announcements started while we were in the Adriatic which put guests more at ease.   The Moon had a captain change in Rome, which is the captain you have now.  He was a bit more informative with the details concerning cases.  Mask wearing was pretty heavy in the beginning, but by the time we got to France, more and more just didn't bother.  We wore the thin masks they provided in your suite while onboard, but wore an N95 mask when we went on excursions.  Starting in Spain, the local guides were instructed by Silversea to constantly remind guests to wear masks on the bus.  Every time we were tested, we said a little prayer, as we didn't want to end up getting moved to the front of deck 6.  Mysty and zqtchas, stay healthy and safe.

Thank you for your post and your caring! 🥰

• Like 3

3 hours ago, zqtchas said:

Capt announced the latest numbers 20 pax,some with mild symptoms and some with no symptoms, some of which are in transit. There were 5 crew. 

Damn, that's quite a quick increase from 14 to 25. 

Would you define what "some which are in transit" means?  I assumed if a passenger tested positive pierside they would be denied boarding.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Damn, that's quite a quick increase from 14 to 25. 

Would you define what "some which are in transit" means?  I assumed if a passenger tested positive pierside they would be denied boarding.

That is what the captain said. In transit is one who is staying on foe another leg/voyage

and was tested the day before the end.

• Like 1

Thank you mysty & zqtchas for your responses on the current Covid situation on board The Moon. Am I right in assuming that the only Testing now relates to Daily Temperature Checks ? - If this is the Case, surely one could be ' Isolated ' for any number of reasons if ones Temperature is up ?.

If I am correct in my assumption it makes for a complete Lottery that one could be forced to spend Days in ones Suite whilst others carry on as normal about the ship ( and maybe have Covid ? ). From our experience of Silversea over many years the Hot Bed of Contamination, for a number of Viruses, that was The Panorama Lounge on a Bad Weather Sea Day pales into insignificance !!!!

We are due to join The Moon in September but now remain very sceptical.

• Like 1

So my understanding is that some guests who were already on board and returning for the next leg were only found to have covid when tested between the cruises?  I assume they are back on board, but in isolation (though no doubt feeling well).  A bit hit and miss with the onboard temperature checks in that case.  Not nice for anyone.  If that is so , presumably SS will/should  go back to regular normal covid testing, maybe every few days?

Lola

• Like 1

There are no temperature checks anymore on this ship.

i assume if they tested positive on board and was on for the next leg

they never got off.

The internet is very bad this AM. More provided as this situation improves.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, zqtchas said:

There are no temperature checks anymore on this ship.

i assume if they tested positive on board and was on for the next leg

they never got off.

I wonder?

Again from my personal experience,  on the Spirit in March/April, the test the day before Lisbon (I was staying on B2B to Barcelona) found me to be positive and I was moved to the Red Zone for one night and then disembarked in Lisbon. 

No choice in the matter. No staying on board for the next leg even in isolation.

(Of course, that wouldn't have made sense as I would have had to stay in isolation for the whole of the leg to Barcelona.)

Edited by jollyjones
  • Like 1

WARNING! Random and Incoherent thoughts follow.

We’re sitting in the observation lounge ( where some people confuse observation 

with conversation) looking out at fog covered mountains with tiny waterfalls cascading 

into a calm cove in which we are anchored.

We were spoiled by taking some cruises while the pandemic was in full swing 

and the ships were not very crowded and the tables were not as close together.

Most of the cruises we have taken lately don’t seem to take on enough provisions

to last to the next resupply. Maybe the new price increase will help.

My advice is to wait until after the summer pent up cabin fever crazy crowd

gets it out of there system.

New HD on.

Spotted 2 more little tables in hall on deck 7.

Observed woman in wet suit in swimming pool yesterday.

Wait until August/September to visit Iceland.

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, jollyjones said:

I wonder?

Again from my personal experience,  on the Spirit in March/April, the test the day before Lisbon (I was staying on B2B to Barcelona) found me to be positive and I was moved to the Red Zone for one night and then disembarked in Lisbon. 

No choice in the matter. No staying on board for the next leg even in isolation.

(Of course, that wouldn't have made sense as I would have had to stay in isolation for the whole of the leg to Barcelona.)

Just saying what I see on this ship now.

• Like 2