Nieuw Amsterdam - Mar. 12 - Anyone else missed the boat?

Brucefan

Wondering if anyone else is in the same boat as us (pun intended)...traveling from Toronto on Saturday, March 12.

We were due to sail on Saturday from Port Everglades for a Western Carribean cruise.  Booked EVERYTHING through HAL....flights, transfers, everything for the worry free guarantee vacation.  Even took the upgrade to the suite.  HAL placed us on the Miami vs Ft. Lauderdale flight that morning.

Flight was due to land in Miami around noon.  HAL reassured us with their transfer that it would not be an issue to make it to the ship.

Flight was delayed (like MANY MANY others) on Saturday due to bad weather in Florida.  We tried to call the emergency number and was put on hold for over 2 hours only to hear a message to leave a voice mail....

Our savior of a travel agent was on hold for over 3 hours with HAL and eventually got through where she was told that the ship may wait for us as our flight has been significantly delayed.

Here's where things got really bad.  HAL did NOT show up for us at Miami Airport.  We looked everywhere....no one was there.  At this point, we hightailed it to Port Everglades in a taxi where HAL told our agent a rep would be waiting for us.  Port was deserted except for 2 Princess ships.  No one there.....

This story continues and gets even worse....it ends up with us in Key West (first port of call) very late on Saturday evening/early Sunday morning where we phoned the actual ship and were reassured we could board between 8 am and noon on Sunday.  At about 6 am the ship called us to tell us the ship was no longer stopping in the Keys.

When we eventually were able to speak to an actual customer service person at HAL later on Sunday morning, the only option was to wait to perhaps make it to Jamaica yesterday or go home.

We were stunned at the lack of customer assistance and support.  We would have done ANYTHING that they told us to do...but the issue was the total lack of communication.  Between ourselves and the travel agent, we spent over 10 HOURS on hold to the "emergency" line and never was told a game plan.

We understand that flying on embarkation day is not ideal, but HAL reassured us all would be fine.

Wondering if anyone else experienced this lack of customer service on Saturday?  

Edited to add.....we did NOT attempt to continue on to Jamaica.

Edited by Brucefan
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Oh my gosh, what a nightmare !!!  Just another example of why we choose to fly in a day or two ahead of departure.  I know that's not always possible for everyone, but it gives us peace of mind.  I don't know how this can be made right for you.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Oh. My. Gosh.  This is absolutely unacceptable.  Why have an EMERGENCY LINE if they aren't going to answer??!  We fully understand that "weather happens", but that is when support is needed!

Thank you for sharing this, and do not hesitate to let HAL know how badly this was handled.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What a nightmare.  Horrible horrible horrible.  Sounds like HAL dropped more than just the ball on this one.  I can’t even imagine your stress with all that happened.  And here I was thinking of using their flight ease for a cruise we have booked this winter.  What’s the point if you run into an issue and their 24 hour help line doesn’t help.  😡

• Like 3

Two things to learn from this example:

1.  NEVER NEVER fly in the day of the cruise and especially to a city not sailing from.

2.  NEVER NEVER believe everything that HAL tells you.  Question it if it does not make sense and even then ask others for advice (like on this board).  Landing in a remote city airport at Noon when you have to be onboard by 3:30 (I assume) is cutting things way too close. Arriving from another country is even worse.   Sure if things go 100% on time you can make it, but when travelling very often (normally in most cases) things happen - then you are in big trouble.

HAL certainly dropped the ball on your situation in many ways and this is not acceptable.  Contact them through your Travel Agent and see what they are willing to do for you to make up for it - I bet they will surprise you.

I have been travelling alot for over 45 years and I know from experience that things can and do go wrong.  In the future, please allow for this in your planning. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

Two things to learn from this example:

1.  NEVER NEVER fly in the day of the cruise and especially to a city not sailing from.

2.  NEVER NEVER believe everything that HAL tells you.  Question it if it does not make sense and even then ask others for advice (like on this board).  Landing in a remote city airport at Noon when you have to be onboard by 3:30 (I assume) is cutting things way too close. Arriving from another country is even worse.   Sure if things go 100% on time you can make it, but when travelling very often (normally in most cases) things happen - then you are in big trouble.

HAL certainly dropped the ball on your situation in many ways and this is not acceptable.  Contact them through your Travel Agent and see what they are willing to do for you to make up for it - I bet they will surprise you.

I have been travelling alot for over 45 years and I know from experience that things can and do go wrong.  In the future, please allow for this in your planning. 

Probably by doing nothing at all for you.

DON

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

Probably by doing nothing at all for you.

DON

I am hoping if it’s escalated they will do something for them.  It’s HAL that really messed up and if they can’t deliver they shouldn’t promise they can.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

Truly ANYTHING can happen.  True story in 2017 - on the flight to FLL the day before the cruise, a person suffered a possible stroke so we made an emergency landing in Charleston.  The day before we returned was the shooting at FLL that closed the airport.  My sister had to rent a car and drive home (to GA).  My flight to SWF somehow left on time but there was a lot of snow at home and hubby couldn't pick me up so I spent a night at the airport motel.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, julia said:

Why have an EMERGENCY LINE if they aren't going to answer??! 

This is the most disturbing part of the OP's experience for me.  One of the "advantages" of booking air through HAL is the "opportunity" to have contact with a live person when air arrangements "go South".  This is a major failure--for whatever excuses HAL may offer--of HAL.

1 hour ago, DaveOKC said:

1.  NEVER NEVER fly in the day of the cruise

While some are not able to do so, it is truly foolish for one not to do so if one can.

1 hour ago, DaveOKC said:

Contact them through your Travel Agent and see what they are willing to do for you to make up for it - I bet they will surprise you.

An experienced travel agent and one that does much business with HAL ought to provide the OP with some type of benefit from HAL.  How many times have I posted on CC that one of the advantages of using a travel agent is that such a qualified person can serve as an ombudsman for a guest that has an issue like this?  

• Like 3

I have a story dealing with HAL's emergency line, too.  Several years ago, we had taken an Alaska cruise and on the return home our flight was late into Philly.  We missed our connecting flight, and I called the emergency number.  Sounds like I got the same response you did to leave a voice mail which I did.  To this day (several years now) I have never been called back by those folks.  The airline said not to worry we will put you up for the night.  We were picked up in an unmarked van and driven to a Motel 6 just off of airport property.  We had the driver take us back to the airport and slept in the terminal taking turns until the next day when we were able to book a flight to get us to our home airport.  When I contacted HAL, their response was a very simple, "Wow".  That was it.

The lesson we learned from that.  We still cruise with HAL but we will NEVER fly with their service again.   

• Like 2

OMG.  I can't even imagine how angry I would have been, because of booking air thru HAL and trying to figure it out when things looked like there was a problem.  Too bad you couldn't jump on one of the Princess ships.  I was watching sail aways and I don't think they left until after 9pm EST.  Anything can happen but you count on the business that sells you a product to come thru for you.  I'd ask for a full refund and book another cruise line.  That is unless they offer you a PH for the cruise of your choice.  YIKES!!!!!!  Cherie

Edited by cccole
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, rothbury said:

The airline said not to worry we will put you up for the night.  We were picked up in an unmarked van and driven to a Motel 6 just off of airport property.  We had the driver take us back to the airport and slept in the terminal taking turns

Would you care to share the "wonderful" airline that provided you with such "deluxe" accommodations?  I had such a situation once and was placed in a Hyatt Regency with dinner and breakfast vouchers.  

• Like 2

This story should serve as a warning to all cruisers, especially in this time of instability in transportation.

1.   NEVER, EVER fly in on the day of your cruise.

2.   Expect the unexpected and the worst outcome possible.

Most cruise bloggers I watch say the same thing in these uncertain times.

Your tale of woe is probably being told every day by others. I am truly sorry you missed your trip. I would be really unhappy in your shoes.

Jim

• Like 1

The OP acknowledged that flying in the day of the cruise "is not ideal."  But this is what HAL said would be "fine."  They did not make the flight arrangements on their own.  EVERYONE knows that flying in at least one day before your cruise is the best.  Telling them they could catch the ship in Key West...oops, not possible.  And, HAL did not offer to get them to Jamaica?   Telling someone they should have flown in the day before their cruise does not excuse HAL for their total lack of customer service.  I am planning a cruise for 6 persons in the fall, have been looking at HAL and other lines.  This is really unbelievably poor customer service.  JMO. Cherie     

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi everyone...

Thanks for all of your responses....a few things...

1)  We are both teachers and it is nearly impossible to take the Friday before March Break off.

2)  Our biggest issue is lack of communication.  If HAL had answered our call in Toronto before the flight even left and told us how bad the situation was in Florida, we probably would have cut our losses and turned around.

3)  I did not include this fact in my original post:  when we finally got what seemed like the last hotel room in Key West on Saturday night , the lovely woman who checked us in told us that no ships were going to arrive until at least Monday.  Why then, did someone on the ship about 30 minutes later, reassure us that the ship would be there in the morning and we could embark?

4)  We have stayed in Florida this week to enjoy some sunshine.  Not at all the holiday we had planned....my best friend and I have had many good laughs but it has not felt like the stress free holiday that we had hoped for.  At all.

5)  We have a stellar travel agent who started working on our situation on Monday with HAL.  She is purposely not updating us so that we can try to enjoy our time here.

6)  We also realize that this is the top 1% of a first world problem...being really really mad about a fairly upscale cruise ship not following through on promises.  Other people in the world right now are fleeing for their lives.

Thank you for your thoughts and advice....we appreciate it.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Brucefan said:

Hi everyone...

1)  We are both teachers and it is nearly impossible to take the Friday before March Break off.

2)  Our biggest issue is lack of communication.  If HAL had answered our call in Toronto before the flight even left and told us how bad the situation was in Florida, we probably would have cut our losses and turned around.

3)  I did not include this fact in my original post:  when we finally got what seemed like the last hotel room in Key West on Saturday night , the lovely woman who checked us in told us that no ships were going to arrive until at least Monday.  Why then, did someone on the ship about 30 minutes later, reassure us that the ship would be there in the morning and we could embark?

4)  We have stayed in Florida this week to enjoy some sunshine.  Not at all the holiday we had planned....my best friend and I have had many good laughs but it has not felt like the stress free holiday that we had hoped for.  At all.

5)  We have a stellar travel agent who started working on our situation on Monday with HAL.  She is purposely not updating us so that we can try to enjoy our time here.

6)  We also realize that this is the top 1% of a first world problem...being really really mad about a fairly upscale cruise ship not following through on promises.  Other people in the world right now are fleeing for their lives.

I’m glad you are at least getting a vacation even if not what you had planned.   I’m happy to hear your TA is working on this.  I hope you let us know the outcome.  A lot of people use flight ease and if this is what happens when people need their assistance we all need to be aware.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Brucefan said:

Hi everyone...

When you arrived in Fort Lauderdale at the pier, which one was it?   You mentioned that Princess ships were still there, but Princess ships generally use Terminal 2, which is on the far North side of the cruise ship areas, far (perhaps a mile) from the docks that Holland America uses normally  and most of the other cruiselines use.  Could the taxi have taken you to the wrong pier?  A taxi driver from Miami might not have known the difference and it would explain why no one from Holland America was around.

I have not been impressed with Hal’s flight ease.  They cancelled my flight for me to return home after my cruise and tried to pass garbage my way as a substitute.  I stood my ground but I’m having to fly half way across the USA instead only flying north.  Not good public relations.  Clearly they have too much business.  This has caused me a boatload of anxiety.

• Like 2