Throw out the tux, give me luxury without the formality

cruiseny4life

Hey cruisers! I'm going on my second cruise next month. We will be on NCL's Getaway in the Haven. My husband and I will enjoy ourselves, but...

We really want to find a luxury line to cruise on next. I've found the challenge to be the dress code. We love what Regent Seven Seas does, but if I'm on vacation I'm not wearing dress slacks and a button down. 

As an example, we had my birthday dinner tonight: I wore lounge pants and a long sleeve t. He wore jeans and a Hoodie. This wasn't a really fancy place, but the cost of meals was well over $100 (no booze as we don't drink).

The point is I have to be professional at work and I refuse to do so outside the 6 AM to 5 PM that I work. When cruising we want the splurge which is why the Haven, but really want a small ship luxury line for our next cruise. 

Is this desire even remotely possible in today's world? 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, aaroncstrong said:

Hey cruisers! I'm going on my second cruise next month. We will be on NCL's Getaway in the Haven. My husband and I will enjoy ourselves, but...

We really want to find a luxury line to cruise on next. I've found the challenge to be the dress code. We love what Regent Seven Seas does, but if I'm on vacation I'm not wearing dress slacks and a button down. 

As an example, we had my birthday dinner tonight: I wore lounge pants and a long sleeve t. He wore jeans and a Hoodie. This wasn't a really fancy place, but the cost of meals was well over $100 (no booze as we don't drink).

The point is I have to be professional at work and I refuse to do so outside the 6 AM to 5 PM that I work. When cruising we want the splurge which is why the Haven, but really want a small ship luxury line for our next cruise. 

Oceania: “country club casual” (aka - don’t dress like a slob but leave your tie at home).

Even Oceania a premium line requires nice slacks & collared shirt for men

Not sure what "Lounge pants" are where you are from but they would not pass for the GDR room & specialties  I am sure 

But you always eat in the buffet or you cabin for dinner no need to dress up then

Cannot think of a luxury  or a premium line that would suit your wants

• Like 1

Somehow the title doesn't remotely match the first post. 

One would have to search very hard to find any luxury line that required tuxes or other formal wear in their dining rooms.

But in what world is a collared shirt and slacks considered formal? It seems the OP prefers to dine in the rough equivalent of pajamas. I'm about 5 minutes before bedtime, and I'm wearing a long sleeve T and lounge pants. I wouldn't go to Walmart dressed like this.

It's possible there may be a luxury line that has a dress standard that low.  Money doesn't guarantee class, after all. Perhaps other posters know of such a line.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

OP, DH and I have similar issues. I don’t mind dressing up but jeans or cargo shorts and a t shirt is what DH insists on wearing. The only line we have found that meets this is Norwegian. You could try some of the newer and less mainstream lines like Virgin or uncruise.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, aaroncstrong said:

I get that.  Totally sympathize.  For myself, I'd like to find a full-fat ice cream without any calories.  I think it's called having your cake and eating it too.  

• Like 1

No man over the age of 25 should be wearing graphic T-s or sports jerseys or hoodies . This is not hard get some good golf shirts you will look good and comfy at the same time . On almost any cruise dressing well is easy for men get a sport coat, goes well with the golf shirt . 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, dolittle said:

No man over the age of 25 should be wearing graphic T-s or sports jerseys or hoodies . This is not hard get some good golf shirts you will look good and comfy at the same time . On almost any cruise dressing well is easy for men get a sport coat, goes well with the golf shirt . 

There seems to be a growing trend (more among men than women) to try to out-schlub others.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Regarding your preferences in off-hours dress and complete lackadaisical attitude, here is my suggestion. You can purchase cabin space on a cargo ship. Depending on the ports-of-call for pick-up and drop-off it can make for a very interesting itinerary. Port stays are longer thus giving you more time to explore. Don't worry about "tuxes", a yellowed tee shirt and wrinkled semi-clean shorts should suffice, all day and all night. Really keeps packing to an absolute minimum. 

Based on your cruising desires for luxury, a Tramp Steamer originating in Casablanca will fulfill your wishes just fine.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic. Interesting first post...  🤔

Thanks! I'm glad to be here - I've been lurking for awhile (mainly for Haven info). As I kept researching the luxury lines and the forums I just couldn't find this information, so was hoping someone might have an option that they knew of.

I figured it was a long shot and I'm just not sure NCL will fit our needs, but am hoping the Haven area at least provides a bit of peace and quiet away from the throngs of cruisers and hairy chest contests (if that's still a thing).

Have a great day!

8 hours ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

If you think about it, dress codes have really relaxed - not stiffened - in today's world.  When we started cruising in the 70's, formal night meant just that.

Oh I definitely understand that! Unfortunately not enough, except on the mainstream cruise lines. I dress up all day, every day at work and want to lose the suit and tie when on vacation (and collared shirts, slacks). I've thought about expedition ships and may do one of those in the future, but I'm an experienced outdoor adventurer so can do pretty much anything in Alaska on my own without a cruise.

My husband and I mainly desire to go to warm locales if taking a ship. I'm going to see how NCL treats us, maybe the Haven is everything we need. If not, it looks like it may just be resort hotels on the islands rather than the floating resort. I'd prefer not to fly (I do that too much for business too), so our home ports are in the Northeast.

Alas, maybe in 5 - 10 years the dress codes will be where I'd like them.

Thanks for your response and have one amazing Thursday!

12 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Oceania: “country club casual” (aka - don’t dress like a slob but leave your tie at home).

Not going to lie - I prefer shorts, t-shirts, and hoodies or a light pullover. To the luxury cruise lines this appears to be "slob." Oh well!

Have a phenomenal and lovely day!

10 hours ago, mom says said:

Somehow the title doesn't remotely match the first post. 

One would have to search very hard to find any luxury line that required tuxes or other formal wear in their dining rooms.

But in what world is a collared shirt and slacks considered formal? It seems the OP prefers to dine in the rough equivalent of pajamas. I'm about 5 minutes before bedtime, and I'm wearing a long sleeve T and lounge pants. I wouldn't go to Walmart dressed like this.

It's possible there may be a luxury line that has a dress standard that low.  Money doesn't guarantee class, after all. Perhaps other posters know of such a line.

Hey there mom! I'm not quite sure how not being formal/wearing a tux/etc. is unrelated to my post. I'll take the charge of embellishing though! I did state I'm not really into wearing button downs or slacks as that is my daily work wear (along with a tie and suit jacket in many cases YUCK).

Thanks for the post - yes I'm sure there aren't any lines that allow lounge pants in their dining rooms, but t-shirts and jeans or shorts would be nice. Heck I don't even want cargo pant permission, though that's an entirely acceptable type of short (just not for me).

Happy day mom!

5 hours ago, sanger727 said:

OP, DH and I have similar issues. I don’t mind dressing up but jeans or cargo shorts and a t shirt is what DH insists on wearing. The only line we have found that meets this is Norwegian. You could try some of the newer and less mainstream lines like Virgin or uncruise.

Thanks for the post! I totally get DH not wanting to dress up, especially if he does this all the time. That's what my issue is. My husband would probably be alright with the "country club" style mentioned above, but I just don't want that.

Uncruise is an interesting option I've looked at, but I'd prefer to plan and do my own trip if paying that kind of money without a luxurious feel. You're right about Virgin - maybe I need to look a bit more into them. My first thought is Virgin is a very chic line and I am decidedly not chic. 🙂

Have a stunning day!

1 hour ago, dolittle said:

Your opinion and you're certainly entitled to it! I don't quite have the same inclination, nor do I pass judgment on those that prefer to dress it up. You do you! I just wear professional clothes for many hours of my day, every day. When I'm not at work I prefer not to wear those same clothes. Polo shirts are alright, but I'm fat so an untucked polo just looks weird. I refuse to tuck shirts in unless at work. Yup, I'm a bit of a pain when it comes to my likes and dislikes around dressing!

We certainly won't agree and likely won't travel on the same cruise line, but hey I do hope you enjoy your cruising!

Have one great day!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

There seems to be a growing trend (more among men than women) to try to out-schlub others.

I laughed at your words "to out-schlub!" That's a fun phrase that I'll likely replicate on future posts!

Enjoy your day - hopefully it's sunny where you are.

56 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

Regarding your preferences in off-hours dress and complete lackadaisical attitude, here is my suggestion. You can purchase cabin space on a cargo ship. Depending on the ports-of-call for pick-up and drop-off it can make for a very interesting itinerary. Port stays are longer thus giving you more time to explore. Don't worry about "tuxes", a yellowed tee shirt and wrinkled semi-clean shorts should suffice, all day and all night. Really keeps packing to an absolute minimum. 

Based on your cruising desires for luxury, a Tramp Steamer originating in Casablanca will fulfill your wishes just fine.

You know, that's actually a great suggestion! I have taken a look at cargo ships in the past. It's not quite a luxury cruise so probably won't work for me in this situation. Someday! And someday I'll be on a working sailing ship too. I won't be expecting any luxury then, just some work and hopefully some climbing on the rigging.

Casablanca is such a wonderful word! Thanks for mentioning this as I always love saying Casablanca!

When I take that cargo ship tour I'll be sure to reach out and let you know how it goes (unless it's a decade or two away). I won't remember then.

As for packing, well husband and I have that down to one school bag-sized backpack.

Have a lovely, beautiful day that is perfect!

24 minutes ago, aaroncstrong said:

Your opinion and you're certainly entitled to it! I don't quite have the same inclination, nor do I pass judgment on those that prefer to dress it up. You do you! I just wear professional clothes for many hours of my day, every day. When I'm not at work I prefer not to wear those same clothes. Polo shirts are alright, but I'm fat so an untucked polo just looks weird. I refuse to tuck shirts in unless at work. Yup, I'm a bit of a pain when it comes to my likes and dislikes around dressing!

We certainly won't agree and likely won't travel on the same cruise line, but hey I do hope you enjoy your cruising!

Have one great day!

I travel on all the mainstream lines. I will look for you in the M.D.R. with a ball cap on.

25 minutes ago, aaroncstrong said:

Have one great day!

Sounds like a high-end, warm weather resort could work for you.  Cruise lines that style themselves "luxury" pretty much require some degree of dressing up at dinner, although current dress codes are increasingly relaxed compared to traditional standards.  It's part of the ambiance most passengers like.  If you are set on a luxury cruise, scrutinize the various dress codes to find the most relaxed ones, and then see if there aren't ways to show you've tried to comply.

37 minutes ago, aaroncstrong said:

You know, that's actually a great suggestion! I have taken a look at cargo ships in the past. It's not quite a luxury cruise so probably won't work for me in this situation. Someday! And someday I'll be on a working sailing ship too. I won't be expecting any luxury then, just some work and hopefully some climbing on the rigging.

Casablanca is such a wonderful word! Thanks for mentioning this as I always love saying Casablanca!

When I take that cargo ship tour I'll be sure to reach out and let you know how it goes (unless it's a decade or two away). I won't remember then.

As for packing, well husband and I have that down to one school bag-sized backpack.

Have a lovely, beautiful day that is perfect!

The suggestion is quite serious. Luxury is not just about fancy, gaudy surroundings, elegant meals and personalized service. Luxury encompasses many things and circumstances, not all of which have to be present to define the meaning. Luxury is the unencumbered ability to enjoy our lives as best we can. Simplicity and plainness of surroundings can be luxurious in their own right and can totally satisfy our travel needs. Actually, Casablanca is a luxury word.

Edited by Spif Barwunkel
  • Like 1

We stopped with the formal business years ago...on DW's suggestion.  Just went casual and passed on the MDR on those nights. Now...no issue since I wear slacks and collared shirts.

At the time more than one poster suggested that I should be willing to dress up in order to please DW. 

We laughed and laughed at that.  Posted by those who must have thought all women were still in the kitchen, slaving away, waiting for their husband to return from work.  It was 2006 or so....not 1956!

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

The suggestion is quite serious. Luxury is not just about fancy, gaudy surroundings, elegant meals and personalized service. Luxury encompasses many things and circumstances, not all of which have to be present to define the meaning. Luxury is the unencumbered ability to enjoy our lives as best we can. Simplicity and plainness of surroundings can be luxurious in their own right and can totally satisfy our travel needs. Actually, Casablanca is a luxury word.

luxury is comfortable over all.  I got pummeled by a St. Regis trainer when I replied this.  Well, I said "comfortable and not pompous."   I think most here think luxury as you said in your second sentence.  I spent a week at the St Regis Bahia Beach.  Certainly considered "luxurious" and Forbes 5-star.  I was definitely not comfortable - the level of pomposity and smothering service was just too much.  Compared to the Mauna Kea on the Big Island where beautiful grounds and lodging were paired with quiet but always avalible service that was genuine and not forced,  

• Like 1