Volendam out of drydock.

jakkojakko

On 3/18/2022 at 6:44 AM, scotlandyard1985 said:

Does anybody knows if the bath rooms are renovated with a shower?

I booked a 74 Grand SA on the Volendam on the NS with a future cruise consultant.  Joanne said that the tubs have been converted to showers years ago due to the cost of desalinization.   I wish HA would update their cabin descriptions.  Sadly no bath for me for 74 days.    

7 hours ago, ottahand7 said:

I booked a 74 Grand SA on the Volendam on the NS with a future cruise consultant.  Joanne said that the tubs have been converted to showers years ago

Someone does not know what she is talking about.  I sailed on the Volendam for her 2019 Christmas/New Year's Cruise in a standard outside stateroom, mid-ships, on the bottom passenger deck.  The tub/shower, as usual, was there.  A walk-in shower was not.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, scotlandyard1985 said:

I hope the renovated the bathrooms like they did with lanai cabins 

Hi!  Are there lanai cabins on Volendam?  Thats a negative to me.   Reduces the number of deck chairs available for general passenger use.

Deck Chair

On 3/17/2022 at 4:56 PM, Tbay said:

Looking forward to hearing about what was done during the drydock. Doing a 74 day cruise on her.  Please report back after your cruise.

Will do!

On 3/19/2022 at 5:27 PM, rkacruiser said:

Someone does not know what she is talking about.  I sailed on the Volendam for her 2019 Christmas/New Year's Cruise in a standard outside stateroom, mid-ships, on the bottom passenger deck.  The tub/shower, as usual, was there.  A walk-in shower was not.  

You made my day!  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, scotlandyard1985 said:

@deck chair (like your name 🙂)

Yes 21 lanai cabins on deck 3 lower promenade.

8 hours ago, deck chair said:

If that is the case I am out.

Still more deck chairs than you will find on promenade deck of pinnacle class ships.

We board on the 15th of May.  Our last cruise on the Volendam was its Amazon River Cruise and a 14 day Caribbean cruise ending on 1/5/20 just before the pause in operations.  We've got lots of days on the Volendam and are looking forward to two weeks more in Norway out of Rotterdam.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Modern_Viking said:

From what I have heard, many Volendam ocean-view cabins, a few year ago, had their bathtubs replaced with showers.  But certainly not all.  So with some research, you might be able to find a cabin to your preference on that topic. 

DH and I would be very very happy next summer in one of the staterooms with just😀 a shower.  

Looks like she will house Ukrainian refugees displaced by the war for 3 months in I believe Rotterdam. First three cruises have been cancelled.

I am not affected but I say Great Job HAL for helping in this crappy situation! Thanks 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, cwtravel said:

Looks like she will house Ukrainian refugees displaced by the war for 3 months in I believe Rotterdam. First three cruises have been cancelled.

I am not affected but I say Great Job HAL for helping in this crappy situation! Thanks 

https://www.carnivalcorp.com/news-releases/news-release-details/holland-america-line-ship-will-become-temporary-home-ukrainian

It's bad news for us as we were booked on the 5/15/22 sailing.  But it's a great humanitarian gesture and likely quite financially incentivized for HAL.  

For the first time we had booked our airline flight to Amsterdam through FlightEase. Let's see if they will help us get them changed or cancelled as we have another reason to be in Europe around the end of May. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Btimmer said:

It's bad news for us as we were booked on the 5/15/22 sailing.  But it's a great humanitarian gesture and likely quite financially incentivized for HAL.  

For the first time we had booked our airline flight to Amsterdam through FlightEase. Let's see if they will help us get them changed or cancelled as we have another reason to be in Europe around the end of May. 

I've only booked air travel through HAL once, for a cruise in Summer of 2020.  After the cruise was cancelled, HAL automatically cancelled the air as well at no charge to me (I hadn't paid for the ticket yet, only reserved it).  I hope they can do the same for you.  You may have to book your replacement flights at the now current fares, though, so the replacement tickets might be more expensive.

On 4/1/2022 at 12:40 PM, Btimmer said:

I think many of us who participate on this Message Board would be interested in how this situation develops for you.  Good wishes from me for a satisfactory result for you.  

• Like 2