Pre-paying crew tips-is this rate fair for the crew?

steve4031

On 8/7/2022 at 9:20 AM, albingirl said:

These tipping threads have been around forever.  We keep things in place and give extra too.  Last cruise I was on, I won some money in the slot machine and gave it all to crew.  I usually don't gamble but this was fun to do.

Good for you! Very thoughtful.

• Like 1

Don't over look the  fact  that  now  the  18% tips are now automatically   added  &   included in your bill  when dining at  the speciality restaurants  . 

Yes ,we have added extra compensation when any staff helps us have a better vacation  ,especially  for our  being handicapped 

Coming from Aus, I get very confused with the tipping system in the US. For our Alaskan 8 night cruise next year we are paying $17.12AU per person. Myself and hubby. 

I notice a lot of people saying they will also tip extra. The exchange rate from AU to US is terrible so paying extra for multiple staff on top of the crew appreciation charge can become very costly for myself and hubby.

What would the normal hourly rate be for cruise staff, and I am assuming they do not pay for food or room whilst on the ship. 

Is there more staff per passengers or the opposite. I'm trying to do the math of each person paying approx 17.12AU per day and then divided amongst the staff, I would have thought this to be a good bonus on top of their weekly wage. Or do I have it totally wrong and their wage is very low. 

I have also read for excursions which we pay for in US $$ once converted to AU $$ are expensive, we also need to tip the tour guide. 

I find travelling to the US from AUS is very expensive lol.

Just want someone from the US to explain wages on cruise ships and if they are so low why are so many wanting to work on them. 

Thanks for all who will answer my query. 

6 hours ago, Taykee1 said:

Coming from Aus, I get very confused with the tipping system in the US. For our Alaskan 8 night cruise next year we are paying $17.12AU per person. Myself and hubby. 

I notice a lot of people saying they will also tip extra. The exchange rate from AU to US is terrible so paying extra for multiple staff on top of the crew appreciation charge can become very costly for myself and hubby.

What would the normal hourly rate be for cruise staff, and I am assuming they do not pay for food or room whilst on the ship. 

Is there more staff per passengers or the opposite. I'm trying to do the math of each person paying approx 17.12AU per day and then divided amongst the staff, I would have thought this to be a good bonus on top of their weekly wage. Or do I have it totally wrong and their wage is very low. 

I have also read for excursions which we pay for in US $$ once converted to AU $$ are expensive, we also need to tip the tour guide. 

Just want someone from the US to explain wages on cruise ships and if they are so low why are so many wanting to work on them. 

We are from Canada so can totally appreciate about the extra expense when travelling and when things are quoted in U.S. dollars, our current exchange rate is 38% lower than U.S.  Cabin crew before Covid ( as I do not know current rate ),  was $400.00 per month.  As you are aware they are away from their families between six to nine months at a time.  They work 7 days per week and over 12 hours per day.  Their share between two people a cabin smaller then the typical inside cabin for sleeping.  I believe most passengers are kind and thoughtful however I have witnessed some outrageous and rude behaviour towards staff,, and staff response is kind back towards the rude people.  You and I come from commonwealth countries with a high standard of living.  The staff come from countries where $20.00 a month is the average wage.  We would be considered middle income earners in our country we travel in inside cabins all the time in order that we can cruise.  We leave the tips in place and on occasion have tipped extra to some staff.  For me I believe they earn every dollar.  I know that when travelling in your great country of Australia that the price quoted for things like cruises is the price you pay, so Australians are not expected to keep the tips in place when say on a cruise that cruises around Australia, so it might be confusing to understand the tipping practice outside of Australia.  All I can say is when in Rome…. 

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Taykee1 said:

I will deal with this as a wage/salary question rather than a tip question, which I tend to avoid.

''

A cabin steward/waitstaff will have a contracted salary of around $1200/month, for an 84 hour work week.  There is a statutory minimum wage for seafarers of $675/month.  A cabin steward's salary is made up of "base salary" and "DSC (I don't use the term "crew tips") contribution.  The base salary will be less than the statutory minimum wage, around $400/month.  The crew member's contract specifies that their salary is made up of a fixed "base salary", and a variable "DSC contribution".  Since passengers can remove the DSC, the amount that a crew member receives from the DSC can vary month to month, and as long as it reaches the statutory minimum wage, the cruise line is not required to supplement it.  In other words, theoretically, a cabin steward's salary could vary from the contracted $1200/month, to as low as $675/month, depending on DSC contributions.

The room and board argument is misleading, as unless the crew member is living in his/her parent's basement while off the ship, they have rent/mortgage to pay to maintain a home they are not occupying, and likely a family that still eats while the crew is on the ship.

While wages seem extremely low to passengers, due to the passenger's standards of living, in the crew's home countries, the salary provides a high end middle class income.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6

8 hours ago, Taykee1 said:

we are paying $17.12AU per person. Myself and hubby. 

I notice a lot of people saying they will also tip extra.

If you are paying the Daily Hotel charge/Staff gratuities then there is no requirement (moral or otherwise) to pay anything additional on board.  Drinks will have 18% gratuity added to the bill, unless you have a drinks package, which will include the grat.   Speciality Restaurants (Pinnacle grill etc) now have 18% gratuity added to the bill, so again absolutely no necessity to tip extra.  If you have a comped meal in a speciality restaurant, then again there is no need to tip extra.

Regarding excursions, we take the view that if we get exceptional service or the tour greatly exceeds our expectations, then we will not tip.  If it is a ships excursion, then it is the ships responsibility to tip any guides as they booked them and employed them, not us.   If it is a private tour then we do ask when booking that they give us the total price including any expected gratuities as we will not be tipping on the day.

Don't over think it.  Even Americans get confused about tipping amounts.  Unfortunately for many it seems that the answer to confusion is to over tip.

(p.s. do not believe the 'when in Rome...'edict  as most American do not follow that ideal in Europe where they continue to over tip and drive up expectations unnecessarily).  

Rant over, 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Had to smile at the Aussie post about them being confused by the American tipping system.  I have lived in the USA for my entire life and am confused by our tipping system, especially when it comes to ships.  Americans (and many Canadians) suffer from "tipping guilt" which I think is inherited at birth :).  What this means is that cruise lines can add automatic tips (which means it is not really tips) and even call it something ridiculous like "Crew Appreciation" and expect us to obey.  They also expect us to feel guilty so that no matter how much we pay through auto tips we will think it is not enough.  At some point I imagine that a few folks will suggest taking out a 2nd Mortgage on our first born to pay even more tips on top of auto tips on top of service charges, etc. etc.

When we started to travel (internationally) over 50 years ago we quickly learned that this tipping guilt is limited to Americans (and some Canadians).  The rest of the world just shakes its head at the silly North Americans with many thinking we are just more Ugly Americans trying to boast to the world by spreading our wealth.  

So my suggestion to the Aussie poster is that you tip an extra $200 (US) per person/day and then expect somebody to give you an empty envelope with the hint that you tip more.  

Hank

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Regarding excursions, we take the view that if we get exceptional service or the tour greatly exceeds our expectations, then we will not tip

Too late to edit!

Sorry, this should have read " .......unless we get exceptional service......."

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

So my suggestion to the Aussie poster is that you tip an extra $200 (US) per person/day and then expect somebody to give you an empty envelope with the hint that you tip more.  

The subtilty of this suggestion may be lost when translated into non American English.  

I believe that you are saying that the hand which receives tips is the hand which never stops asking for more.  Correct?

3 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

The subtilty of this suggestion may be lost when translated into non American English.  

I believe that you are saying that the hand which receives tips is the hand which never stops asking for more.  Correct?

Perhaps not worded well, but I don't think that is want the OP meant.

Based on what was said before that, I think Hank means that due to the US tipping culture, there always seems to be a cultural pressure to tip more, whether out of guilt, uncertainty, or because of the "virtue signaling" of others. And the cruise lines play on it.

4 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Not typically on cruise ships.  With the cruise lines we might say that the cruise line underpays their staff and then does their best to convince the customers that it is our obligation to help the crew overcome a very ungrateful company.   It is the American way that we are made to feel guilty because the company does not pay a living wage.  On the other hand, I do not see folks tipping airline Flight Attendants, Pilots, garbage collectors, etc.

Hank

• Thanks 1

What some people call "Tipping Culture " specially in North America  I think stems from the difference in minimum wage laws and  "Tipped Wage " minimum laws specially In the US and Canada compared to most other countries in the world and yes we all have different standars of living and in many countries not everybody reaches a decent standard of living .

Where the individual States and Provinces set their own minimum wages for most workers  and often a different minimum for servers . Federal min wage is around $ 7.25 /hr where a few States like California are paying $ 15.00 /hr  

In Canada it is also by Province from $13.70 /Cd to $ 15.70 /Cd while for servers I believe it is $ 11.40 or even less for part time workers

Australia Min wage  $ 21.38 /Ad  and you can maybe tell us what the min is for servers in Australia .....

Ireland Min Wage  10.50 Euro from what I could find , would that be for everybody Colin also servers ?

We , Martha and I do not mind paying the service charges on board ship specially after reading what @chengkp75 explained to us on post # 51, please read that again ,with all the hours that the crew works to give us the best vacations possible . In all our cruising  I can not think of many crew members who do not deserve this . 

( I am not talking about all the officers here )

Thank you chengkp ! 

Tony

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, sailingdutchy said:

Ireland Min Wage  10.50 Euro from what I could find , would that be for everybody Colin also servers ?

Yes Tony, that is the minimum for all.  Some sectors (contract cleaning, security, childcare) have higher minimums.

• Thanks 1

On 11/21/2022 at 4:09 PM, Taykee1 said:

G'day Takee1.

I'm also from Oz and have done four US cruises including Mississippi. When my late wife and I intially started cruising 10 years ago we were also confused. However, after a few cruises we got to understand the tipping "culture" and its foibles.

When on non Oz cruises I now follow the "when in Rome". I always prepay the stated grats. If I get exceptional service from room attendants I may give a personal reward but I have found that, almost without exception, the standard service to be exceptional. Dining servers really appreciate that you recognise their service in your review after the cruise (or during if you like) mentioning the servers by name. These reviews are important to them as it can help them gain promotion.

There's not much we can do about exchange rates except budget for it. It didn't seem so long ago that the Oz$ was at parity with the US$.

I have two upcoming cruises with HAL next year, my third Alaska Inside Passage and Sydney/Singapore. I know in advance that HAL does not include gratuities in their fares (even for Oz cruises) so I have to budget for that.

(BTW if you are you happen to be dining onshore in Canada, GST, tips and province taxes are not include in prices.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/31/2022 at 10:56 AM, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

If I remember correctly, I gave each one $50.00 for the 7 days. I never left the ship while in port so I was at the Retreat usually from 10AM to 3:30PM  every day.  They took our lunch orders and would get you anything you wanted from any open food place including the Grand Dutch Cafe (Konigsdam). 

Ohhhh nice to know as I adore my espresso and doing a cabana in January!  And k tip a bit extra to those helpful

On our recent cruise from San Diego to Sydney, in addition to the prepaid gratuity, we gave cash tips to some of the crew, including room attendants, Pinnacle Grill staff (where we ate breakfast every day), MDR waiters, and Neptune Lounge concierges.  We gave an initial tip in US dollars just before we arrived in Hawaii.  We gave a second tip in Australian dollars when the cruise finished in Sydney.  We had intended to order room service a lot and to tip the room service staff, but the service was terrible, so we stopped ordering room service and they didn't get a tip.  Yes, we wrote about the excellent, the good, and the bad in our end of cruise comments.

On 11/21/2022 at 4:09 PM, Taykee1 said:

Aussie here too. I'm an inexperienced cruiser only having done 7 day Alaska and 7 day Norway, both on HAL. Crew appreciation was sold to us as, essentially, a gratuity package for the crew and was designed for passengers to not concern themselves with any tipping "discomfort". We paid no further tips. 

Going back to the original question, I did some back of an envelope calculations on the crew appreciation payments whilst on Rotterdam and I came to the view that the crew should do quite well from that supplementary income.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This year we noticed over several cruises that the waiters and room stewards were not seeming to expect or hint at extra tips as they were pre-pandemic.  Maybe they are satisfied  with the tipping program now?  I wonder if the Black Friday-like promos that include tips in your booking is considered a good thing for them.