Pre-paying crew tips-is this rate fair for the crew?

steve4031

I just pre-paid my gratuities for my 7 day alaskan cruise.  We are in a Neptune Suite.  At 238 for two people in a cabin that comes down to about 35 dollars a day for all of the people who assist us.  This is my first suite experience, and from what I understand the individuals working with us will be providing extra services and effort.  How do you veterans handle this?  

5 minutes ago, steve4031 said:

How do you veterans handle this?  

This topic has been controversial since the beginning.  I just pay the gratuities and enjoy my cruise.  It's the system in place at the moment.

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, steve4031 said:

I just pre-paid my gratuities for my 7 day alaskan cruise.  We are in a Neptune Suite.  At 238 for two people in a cabin that comes down to about 35 dollars a day for all of the people who assist us.  This is my first suite experience, and from what I understand the individuals working with us will be providing extra services and effort.  How do you veterans handle this?  

Very controversial topic! I always leave the default gratuity and then I give some cash to any of the crew that I saw regularly depending on the level & amount of service received (cabin stewards, dining room stewards if in fixed seating, Neptune Lounge concierge, Cabana Attendants if applicable, etc.). If anyone went way above and beyond I will adjust accordingly. I always have figured this is a very minimal cost to me compared to the overall trip price and it makes a huge difference for the crew who work so incredibly hard to give me a fantastic vacation. That being said additional tipping is not expected nor is it required but will always be graciously accepted with a smile and a thank you. 

37 minutes ago, Kay S said:

This topic has been controversial since the beginning.  I just pay the gratuities and enjoy my cruise.  It's the system in place at the moment.

Very sound advice & I completely agree. 

• Like 9

Many people on these forums choose to tip extra, others do not and that’s no problem. I agree with Zach and we often tip extra because we are so happy with the service quality. Also, I travel with a service dog and recognize that she will shed some hair on the rug and balcony, requiring more vaccuming. 

I once worked at a Caribbean resort and frequently visited guest rooms to unlock room safes for those who had issues. Early on, I was shocked by the huge mess some folks leave in their rooms and gained even more respect for those who cheerfully deal with it on the job.

• Like 6

Another way you can help out the staff in addition to a tip (whether just the required or extra) is to give them write ups for making your cruise special. Positive feedback helps towards getting promotions.

On our last Holland America cruise there was a server in the buffet who I wished to give one of those positives write ups. I called her over, and explained that I wanted to but needed to know her name. I thought, however, it would be rude to stare at her chest to read her nametag. She made sure I knew her name, and even jokingly quizzed me on it even after I told her I had given the positive feed back.

And years later, I still remember her name---Honeyeyeo.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, steve4031 said:

This is my first suite experience, and from what I understand the individuals working with us will be providing extra services and effort.  How do you veterans handle this? 

Suite guests pay more than non-suite guests so those extras are covered. 

Like others have said - you can choose to tip extra - that's your choice.

• Like 1

It has been several years since I have cruised.  I forgot about the controversy about gratuities.  Thank you for the advice.  I now remember those compliment cards.  I used one on the last day of my cruise on Carnival.  I had to get her name too.  I let her read my complement.  She was so happy she started jumping up and down and gave me a hug.  Apparently she needed one more compliment to get a more preferential assignment.  

• Like 5

I too leave the Crew Appreciation charges on my OB account and leave extra when warranted. Usually in a Neptune Suite and on my last cruise I gave extra to my cabin steward who always made up my cabin while I was at breakfast and at dinner ( I always tell my stewards I am an early riser and eat early dinner and this was the first one who actually understood this). I seldom tip the Neptune Concierges since I am never there. In fact, lately they call me if they haven't seen me and ask if I need anything. I also gave something extra to the Cabana Retreat men who really did take good care of me. (first time in a cabana and loved it).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SJSULIBRARIAN said:also gave something extra to the Cabana Retreat men who really did take good care of me. (first time in a cabana and loved it).

Just curious, if you don’t mind, what the tip to the Retreat cabana attendant(s) was. We have one coming up. I’ve poked around a little bit on the topic but haven’t found much. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, lderochi said:

Just curious, if you don’t mind, what the tip to the Retreat cabana attendant(s) was. We have one coming up. I’ve poked around a little bit on the topic but haven’t found much. 

If I remember correctly, I gave each one $50.00 for the 7 days. I never left the ship while in port so I was at the Retreat usually from 10AM to 3:30PM  every day.  They took our lunch orders and would get you anything you wanted from any open food place including the Grand Dutch Cafe (Konigsdam). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, lderochi said:

I usually tip $40-60 for each of the attendants. 

• Thanks 1

HAL has added a feedback section to the Navigator App which lets you put comments in. These get a lot of attention by management onboard (even more than the end of cruise survey). Every time I have submitted one I got a call from a manager onboard within a couple hours and several crew members personally thanked me for writing a comment about them as they had been called in to the office by their manager to go over the positive feedback. 

• Like 7

I always pay the stated rate plus give extras to people who are visible to me,.  Once I mentioned to a crew member to also share the tip with his subordinate and he implied the extra tips went into a kitty to be divided up. Either way I am happy with the arrangement.  I know there are plenty of people unseen who are making my life easy, I do hope they can participate in guests’ generosity 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, steve4031 said:

...This is my first suite experience, and from what I understand the individuals working with us will be providing extra services and effort. ....

What type of extra services and effort are you expecting?  The suite experience on HAL does not come with services like a Butler that is on other lines.  I am at a loss of what type of extra services you may be expecting.

25 minutes ago, cbr663 said:

What type of extra services and effort are you expecting?  The suite experience on HAL does not come with services like a Butler that is on other lines.  I am at a loss of what type of extra services you may be expecting.

The concierge in the Neptune Lounge?

• Like 1

Other than extra tips it’s much appreciated to acknowledge certain people who’ve given special services…the Navigator app allows it to be easily done. Comments are put in the employee’s file for future promotions, etc. we try to do one person at least daily. You will often get a handwritten thank you!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, cbr663 said:

I really had not thought this part through.  I definitely was not expecting a butler because that was not one of the described services.  

I think bringing some extra cash and tipping as I see fit plus the positive comments in the app will be my way of showing appreciation.  

I got excited thinking about this cruise because I was going in and booking shore excursions and then researching other posts to find out about the club orange dining area on the Koningsdam and I just typed without thinking.  

I do appreciate the responses to my questions.  

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, steve4031 said:

I really had not thought this part through.  I definitely was not expecting a butler because that was not one of the described services.  

I think bringing some extra cash and tipping as I see fit plus the positive comments in the app will be my way of showing appreciation.  

I got excited thinking about this cruise because I was going in and booking shore excursions and then researching other posts to find out about the club orange dining area on the Koningsdam and I just typed without thinking.  

I do appreciate the responses to my questions.  

It's great that you are excited about your cruise. The Neptune Lounge concierges alone are worth their weight in gold. You feel free to tip whatever you want whenever you want. I would be accused of being an over tipper. There are worse things to be accused of in life. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Is there tax on Pre-Paid Crew Appreciation

?

I am looking under my account to add this, but the total seems high.

We add a daily Crew Appreciation of $15.50 per guest per day for non-suite stateroom guests.

7x$15.50 = $108.5

My total is:

Pre-paid Crew Appreciation Total: $271.26

Price per person $135.63

On 3/31/2022 at 9:05 AM, zgscl said:

HAL has added a feedback section to the Navigator App which lets you put comments in. These get a lot of attention by management onboard (even more than the end of cruise survey).

I am happy to hear about the additional to Navigator! So much more convenient than trying to keep track of names through the cruise and conveying at the end of cruise.

I also bring a stack of $5 bills and near the end of cruise seek out the crew members who have made my trip even more pleasant by their cheerful attitudes and actions. If it goes in a pool to be divided, so be it! I've always been glad the HSC included the invisible members.

I always ask for mid-cruise comment cards from Reception or, if there are none, ask for blank paper and envelopes.  Then I submit a "kudos" document about every three or four days on a 21-day cruise.  Many times, I have been thanked by crew who have been named so I know that the feedback makes it down through the chain of command to them.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, -The-True-North- said:

?

We add a daily Crew Appreciation of $15.50 per guest per day for non-suite stateroom guests.

7x$15.50 = $108.5

My total is:

Price per person $135.63

Not sure if there is a pre-paid tax or not, but I can guarantee there is NO tax if you don't pay it and let HAL calculate it while cruising.  I was just on a cruise in June and the wife and I had crew appreciation included in our fare and the kids didn't.  A charge of $17.00 a day (we were in a Vista Suite, times 7) showed up on the statement for each of them. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, poinsettiaplate said:

I always ask for mid-cruise comment cards from Reception or, if there are none, ask for blank paper and envelopes.  Then I submit a "kudos" document about every three or four days on a 21-day cruise.  Many times, I have been thanked by crew who have been named so I know that the feedback makes it down through the chain of command to them.

One morning I sent in a note of thanks to the laundry crew. A few hours later there was a knock on stateroom door - it was the head of housekeeping to say a personal thanks. He said that they get many complaints about (minor) things but very few words of praise.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, -The-True-North- said:

?

7x$15.50 = $108.5

My total is:

Price per person $135.63

Is your cruise booked in Canadian Dollars?  

The Pre Paid Crew appreciation on the website is priced in local currency using HAL's corporate fixed exchange rate.   (I pre pay in Euros, but on my onboard account the daily crew appreciation is posted in U.S. Dollars and a matching credit is posted.)

• Like 2