Is there a limit to the number of bottles of wine you can bring on board?

Zoey

I've actually sailed on Azamara before but didn't carry on any wine on board. I've talked my employer, who has only cruised on Oceania in the past, into trying out Azamara. However, he's a little bit of a wine snob and he'd like to carry a few bottles on board, that he plans on picking up in Italy prior to boarding, to drink on his balcony and in the cabin. We've both searched the Azamara website and all we found was a section that said that you can bring on your "favorite wines, beer and spirits," but I couldn't find where it gave a limit. I swear I thought I read once - somewhere - that it was one bottle per person for a couple, or two per stateroom if sailing solo. Although I guess that would be kind of silly if you were bringing on beer(s). Anybody have a definitive answer? Thanks in advance! 

As much as you can carry.  There is a corkage policy of $10 per bottle if he wishes to consume it in a public venue.  Since wine is inclusive, bringing wine aboard benefits Azamara.  Of course, the wine available will probably not suit your boss' taste.  Most of that inclusive wine can probably be purchased for under $10 at your supermarket.  

• Like 2

My experience, as recently as the 2021-2022 Holiday cruise on Quest, is that there’s no specified limit; I think we put 6-8 bottles in one typical roll-aboard suitcase with no problem at check-in. Keep in mind, if you have any need / desire to keep your bottles cool / chilled, there is VERY limited room in the standard stateroom fridge… if you remove the shelves and all the soft drinks, you can fit 2 or 3 bottles. 🍷 🍷 

2 hours ago, Zoey said:

I've actually sailed on Azamara before but didn't carry on any wine on board. I've talked my employer, who has only cruised on Oceania in the past, into trying out Azamara. However, he's a little bit of a wine snob and he'd like to carry a few bottles on board, that he plans on picking up in Italy prior to boarding, to drink on his balcony and in the cabin. We've both searched the Azamara website and all we found was a section that said that you can bring on your "favorite wines, beer and spirits," but I couldn't find where it gave a limit. I swear I thought I read once - somewhere - that it was one bottle per person for a couple, or two per stateroom if sailing solo. Although I guess that would be kind of silly if you were bringing on beer(s). Anybody have a definitive answer? Thanks in advance! 

As much as you like!  We have a special wine suitcase made for carrying wine that holds 12 bottles.  We've purchased 18 bottles to bring onboard in Bordeaux a few years ago (for more than just the 2 of us :)).  Other cruise lines have a very stringent policy like you describe but not Azamara

6 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

$10 corkage is very reasonable!

Utter nonsense. It is perfectly reasonable for a restaurant to charge corkage as they make a significant part of their profits on the wine they sell. It is not acceptable for a cruise line, where wine is inclusive, to charge corkage.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TheRampantSnail said:

Utter nonsense. It is perfectly reasonable for a restaurant to charge corkage as they make a significant part of their profits on the wine they sell. It is not acceptable for a cruise line, where wine is inclusive, to charge corkage.

Only some wines are included.  Cruise lines offer other wines at a price.  Those carrying wine onboard are candidates for buying these "better" wines.  So charging a corkage fee is perfectly reasonable, and Azamara's charge is modest.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, TheRampantSnail said:

Of course it’s reasonable for them to charge a corkage fee for bottles not purchased onboard.  All cruise lines I’m aware of that allow you to bring your own wine onboard charge a corkage 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, marinaro44 said:

Only some wines are included.  Cruise lines offer other wines at a price.  Those carrying wine onboard are candidates for buying these "better" wines.  So charging a corkage fee is perfectly reasonable, and Azamara's charge is modest.

Exactly!

Phil 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, KevintheIrishDJ said:

Do they collect corking fee when you board or when you bring the bottle to the MDR?

They only collect the corkage fee if / when you bring the bottle to the MDR or specialty restaurant. If you consume it privately, no fee. 🍷🍷

• Like 4

We were in Lisbon on Quest last month. (This month? It's confusing). I picked up 4 full bottles of port and 2 splits/half bottles. No issue what so ever bringing them on board. Ultimately I packed them in suitcases for return to the US, and (bless their dear little hearts) no issue bringing it into the US with my uncoerced, voluntary declaration to immigration that they were in my suitcase.

• 2 weeks later...

If you want descent bottles and have the time to purchase same, bring your own. The wine selection on our past pre-Covid voyages was just above swill. Avoid the pressure to upgrade the drinks package. 

Not worth it ! No name vineyards, with large prices. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Four21eyes said:

If you want descent bottles and have the time to purchase same, bring your own. The wine selection on our past pre-Covid voyages was just above swill. Avoid the pressure to upgrade the drinks package. 

Not worth it ! No name vineyards, with large prices. 

We have never had a problem with the included wines, there has always been something we like and have had no problem getting it on a day when it wasn’t one of the wines of the day.

I have noticed,though, that they rarely offer US wines, mostly European or South American, which is what we mostly drink at home.

Edited by Grandma Cruising
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, joyride said:

Just to clarify - it's OK to bring on a bottle of liquor, like Crown Royal to drink in the cabin?

Yes, it is ok - a bottle or two... or more if you think of sharing)

• Like 1

I have a nice wine cellar. Been a serious collector for decades. . I still drink what i define as spaghetti wines  for every day drinking I read about ir find at Costco. Not impressed with the upgraded wines in the “ultimate” package. Will see what the ports offer and pay for tge very reasonable corkage. One positive is one in the cabin can upgrade while other cruise lines require both. My wife doesn't drink. 

• Like 1

Can  you only bring wine or spirits on board on embarkation day to consume or can you bring alcohol and consume them throughout the cruise? I know on RCCL any alcohol brought onboard during cruise goes into holding and is returned to your cabin on the last night of voyage. 

10 hours ago, mjwaruba said:

Can  you only bring wine or spirits on board on embarkation day to consume or can you bring alcohol and consume them throughout the cruise? I know on RCCL any alcohol brought onboard during cruise goes into holding and is returned to your cabin on the last night of voyage. 

We’ve brought wine back from shore excursions to wineries and have either had it put on ice to drink in our cabin, or paid the corkage to drink with dinner.

• Like 1