Live Report - Jade From Athens 17th April

KeithJenner

CC Help Jenn
This post was recognized by CC Help Jenn!

""Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!""

KeithJenner was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

We are boarding the Jade this Sunday for a 7 day round trip from Athens.

I have done a few live reports in the past, and often post ad-hoc from the ship when not doing one. Given all the uncertainty regarding the restart of cruising in Europe I thought that this was an ideal one to do a proper live report from, so here we go.

Some of you may know me, as I’ve been on these boards for a while now. For those that don’t we are from the UK and I sail with my wife and son. We started cursing regularly back in 2012, when our son was just turning 7 (my wife and I had cruised once before that as a couple). Now that our son is 16, he is a slightly less willing traveller these days than he used to be (so much for him to be doing back home) and we are probably on our last couple of cruises as a family before we go back to holidaying as a couple again.

Like most on these boards, we have had a number of cancellations over the past couple of years, and this is our first cruise sine Christmas/New Year 2019/20. During lockdown my wife and I have both missed our 50th birthdays and this cruise coincides with our 25th wedding anniversary, so we are planning on celebrating all three of them on this cruise.

We usually travel in balcony cabins (aft if possible), although we occasionally go in an Oceanview depending on the itinerary. This time we took advantage of some low rates a few weeks out to upgrade to a two bedroom suite, mainly to give our son a separate bedroom. We have had a suite once before (Owners Suite on the Pearl) and the attraction is purely the room for us. We are looking forward to having the extra space.

We have also upgraded the beverage package, which isn’t something that we would usually do, but we are celebrating. 🙂

This will be our third time on the Jade and we have cruised in the Eastern Med a number of times before, although never from Athens.

The lead up to the cruise has been challenging. We have all recently recovered from Covid (after managing to miss it over the previous two years). We were actually quite pleased when we did get it, as cases are very high in the UK at the moment, so it helped to get it out of the way. We have all been clear for a couple of weeks now. The only worry is the risk of a positive PCR test due to the recent infection, but it should be lateral flow tests only, so hopefully everything is OK there.

Testing rules have changed a lot recently, and it isn’t clear exactly what will happen at the port. Initially there was not supposed to be any testing at the ports and we had Lateral Flow tests booked at Heathrow before we are due to fly out, but the latest instruction from NCL is that lateral flow tests must be done within 24 hours, so we have cancelled the Heathrow tests and will be getting some done in Athens on Saturday.

Reports from last weeks cruise were that these tests were never actually asked for and NCL tested everyone at the port. There was additional testing required for visiting Israel on that cruise, which may have been a factor, but I am expecting to be tested at the port. Today NCL have changed the local protocols, adding a Athens section which says that we will be tested at the port at their expense (lateral flow), so that all looks OK now. We will still get our tests done in Athens just in case.

We did see some rather concerning reports from the Jade this week, in that there was no bar service on embarkation day until the ship left Greek waters. There was a concern that this rather strange situation would apply at all Greek ports, but apparently there was no problem in Rhodes, so I am hoping that was just a misunderstanding.

Anyway, we will be flying out to Athens on Friday morning and staying there for a couple of nights before boarding. The requirement to get a covid test on Saturday has hindered our plans for that day, but we have been to Athens previously, so will probably have a fairly relaxed day. In fact, it will probably end up being a fairly relaxed week. We don’t have particularly busy port days planned, although we do intend to get off the ship for a while in all the ports. As we have been to all but one port before we are going to use our first proper holiday for over two years to relax and unwind.

Hopefully I will be able to answer some of the questions that people have regarding these Jade cruises. As I always say, there is little point asking me too many questions regarding things like the Spa, shows or fitness centre etc, but I can probably help more with food and drink related matters. Feel free to ask anything, but please understand that your question may be outside my area of interest and knowledge.

Of course, this is all assuming that we manage to get through the testing and get onboard. Fingers crossed.

We are leaving for Heathrow straight after work on Thursday and staying at an airport hotel before our flight on Friday morning. The Heathrow experience should be interesting (all UK airports have been very busy during the Easter break) and I will try to update as we go.

Let me know if you have any questions and I will try to help.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

We did the 7 day Jade Athens round trip in November and it was wonderful.  Senior Officers and crew were exceptional, food was great (best La Cucina I have had on any NCL ship).  I was going to say that getting a covid test was very easy at the Athens airport but see you are going a few days early so won't have that option. We flew to Milan after the cruise for a few days and went to a local pharmacy the day before leaving to get a test to fly back to the States. We stressed about all of this for really no reason...it was much easier than anticipated. Enjoy your cruise...wish I was going again.

• Like 1

Thank you so much for this!  

We'll be in the Jade out of Athens in October.   Sailed on her before but never in Europe.   

Please let me know about your Covid-19 test in Athens.   Even though we have a few months,  I'm expecting to have to get one on our own there as well.

Enjoy your trip!

5 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

Now that our son is 16, he is a slightly less willing traveller these days than he used to be (so much for him to be doing back home) and we are probably on our last couple of cruises as a family before we go back to holidaying as a couple again.

Well, we are becoming empty nesters too, but we still take trips with our kids, if their jobs or studies allow for it.  They are expected to make the effort to come.

Yes, we also travel by ourselves as a couple, just as our kids travel by themselves.  We don't think that it is an either/or option, but we can do both.  My brother and I have traveled with our parents well into our 40s and 50s.  

I am looking forward to your Reports!  

6 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

The lead up to the cruise has been challenging. We have all recently recovered from Covid (after managing to miss it over the previous two years). We were actually quite pleased when we did get it, as cases are very high in the UK at the moment, so it helped to get it out of the way. We have all been clear for a couple of weeks now. The only worry is the risk of a positive PCR test due to the recent infection, but it should be lateral flow tests only, so hopefully everything is OK there.

Testing rules have changed a lot recently, and it isn’t clear exactly what will happen at the port. Initially there was not supposed to be any testing at the ports and we had Lateral Flow tests booked at Heathrow before we are due to fly out, but the latest instruction from NCL is that lateral flow tests must be done within 24 hours, so we have cancelled the Heathrow tests and will be getting some done in Athens on Saturday.

Reports from last weeks cruise were that these tests were never actually asked for and NCL tested everyone at the port. There was additional testing required for visiting Israel on that cruise, which may have been a factor, but I am expecting to be tested at the port. Today NCL have changed the local protocols, adding a Athens section which says that we will be tested at the port at their expense (lateral flow), so that all looks OK now. We will still get our tests done in Athens just in case.

Thank you!  This is very helpful.  We are on Jade in June, and we are looking forward to getting more information on the Covid tests.  

I understand about the rules related to NCL, but what about tests/vaccination documentation required by the Greek government to enter Greece? 

Also, what about the UK government rules?  My daughter couldn't fly back to the US from LHR several months ago, because although she obeyed all the US and NY state rules, she had the wrong test to leave the UK.  Is it still necessary to have a Covid test to get on the plane in LHR?

We did see some rather concerning reports from the Jade this week, in that there was no bar service on embarkation day until the ship left Greek waters.

Well, you are going to be in Greek waters most of your cruise, so I hope that's not true.

Let me know if you have any questions and I will try to help.

Thanks!  I am looking forward to your reports and following up.

A really stupid question: are the cabin doors on Jade metal clad?  As in, can I put a magnet on the door from the outside (for decoration purposes)?

Thanks!

@pdmlynek

A really stupid question: are the cabin doors on Jade metal clad?  As in, can I put a magnet on the door from the outside (for decoration purposes)?

Cabin doors can be used for display purposes using a magnet BUT I suggest you use a magnet that you don't mind losing!!!!   I have a simple circular magnet I used on the outside for advertising material, too many people have commented that they have lost "pretty" magnets.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pdmlynek said:

Well, you are going to be in Greek waters most of your cruise, so I hope that's not true.

I hope not to have to expand on this too much, but I’ll give a very quick recap on what has happened.

On Sunday there was a report from the ship that there was no drinks service in Greek ports. This wasn’t just alcohol, but also included soft drinks. My understanding is that until around 7pm the only drinks available on the ship were what you can get from dispensers in the buffet.

The suggestion was that this would apply when in Greek ports which, as you say, would be a major issue for us, especially as we have a couple of days where we are in port until 9 or 9.30

From later reports it seems that the ship was told that they couldn’t serve whilst in Athens until they left Greek waters. The assumption (which may be wrong) is that this was actually a misunderstanding and they actually meant no duty free shop sales. The staff member who someone spoke to said that they had never come across this before.

The good news is that drinks were being served in Rhodes yesterday, so it looks as though we will be ok, but it is certainly possible that we will have trouble in Athens on Sunday.

• Like 1

Regarding testing in Athens, we are staying at the Electra Athens hotel and their sister hotel (Electra Metropolis) offers covid tests for 10 Euro, so we are doing that.

The only issue is that they only do then in the morning and we were considering going to the Acropolis first thing. I was a bit half hearted about that anyway, as I don’t really want to be rushing around, especially on the first day, so we will probably just go and see what the queue is like at the Acropolis later in the day instead.

I’ll report back on Saturday on how the testing goes.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

Regarding testing in Athens, we are staying at the Electra Athens hotel and their sister hotel (Electra Metropolis) offers covid tests for 10 Euro, so we are doing that.

The only issue is that they only do then in the morning and we were considering going to the Acropolis first thing. I was a bit half hearted about that anyway, as I don’t really want to be rushing around, especially on the first day, so we will probably just go and see what the queue is like at the Acropolis later in the day instead.

I’ll report back on Saturday on how the testing goes.

Thanks for responding.  Staying at the same hotel.  Please let me know what you think of the hotel.

Hi Keith

I intend to do a report after the trip as this will also be out first cruise since 2019

I can act as your assistant if anyone has any questions re the Spa as I shall be partaking!

Hubby is immunocompromised so have had a very cautious 2 years and only recently starting to get out more.

I havent started packing yet until did todays lateral flow tests-thankfully still negative.

We will drive Friday evening to a midway hotel East Midlands and continue to our Grandaughters [and her parents] house 10 minutes from Heathrow Saturday.

We have lateral flow tests booked at Heathrow 4pm which will satisfy the 24 hour requirement even if they repeat at pier.To be honest its more reassurance as if suddenly test positive better to find out in UK rather than Greece.

We took fly cruise package with NCL so they arranged flights-early morning same day flight and transfers from airport to pier included.

I'm a bit nervous as would normally fly day before if arranging own air but as a package holiday I've been assured the onus is on NCL

I will believe it's happening when seeing you at sailaway with hopefully a drink in hand

• Like 3

Great start, Keith, I look forward to meeting you onboard!  I will also likely put together a blog post after the trip. It’s been too long!   We are taking a test tomorrow before we depart the US; -  same as you faband40, we would rather find out at home if there’s a problem.  But,  we are thinking positive thoughts  (Or is it …. negative…. 🤔😆)!! 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

Some of you may know me, as I’ve been on these boards for a while now. For those that don’t we are from the UK and I sail with my wife and son. We started cursing regularly back in 2012, when our son was just turning 7 (my wife and I had cruised once before that as a couple). Now that our son is 16, he is a slightly less willing traveller these days than he used to be (so much for him to be doing back home) and we are probably on our last couple of cruises as a family before we go back to holidaying as a couple again.

Great Keith, a live report ... following you eagerly!

Funny, our son wasn't willing to travel or cruise with us from 2011 when he turned 17 until now. Last month I suggested we all go on cruise to celebrate DH's 75th, and he and his girlfriend jumped in very eagerly! He's 27 now ... we all 4 had a great time and now the kids are hooked on cruising again. The 10 years sure made the difference.

• Like 2

Looking forward to your reports as we will be doing this cruise next month so it's very much appreciated.

It looks like they will be testing at the port in Athens so I would like to know if the other testing rules for Greece will still apply.  Since they are only sailing out of Athens it makes little sense that there are two different listings on the NCL website.

17 hours ago, debenson0723 said:

best La Cucina I have had on any NCL ship

I'm pleased to hear that, because I reserved a table in La Cucina for embarkation night. I usually book a specialty restaurant for that night, because the embarkation sequence seems to put everyone on the same schedule, and with no reservations being taken for entertainment on the smaller ships, sometimes everyone arrives at the MDR at the same time instead of spread across the entire evening.

Just checking in from our hotel at Heathrow (Doubletree - we've not been here for a few years. Just had a quick beer and are getting ready for tomorrow now. Well, my wife is, I'm messing about on the internet. 🙂

A few bits on the travel from UK to Greece, for any UK readers out there.

There is no testing requirement for vaccinated people when heading to Greece and no restrictions at all for the return to the UK. The biggest problem at the moment is the delays at UK airports due to lack of staff and the fact that lots of people are getting away for Easter.

I have had some issues with my booking (British Airways), which was originally a flight to Copenhagen in 2020, and then moved to Venice in 2021 before we finally got this one. It looked like there were problems with the reservation (no checked luggage showing, for example), but that all resolved yesterday after we were asked to upload our vaccination certificate. That has now been checked by BA and we have been able to check in, so all we need to do tomorrow is check our bags and get through security. I'm going to make sure we have more than the full 3 hours to do that, just in case, but I'm hoping that the big delays are for those people who need covid documents checking at the airport.

Hopefully we will update from Athens tomorrow afternoon. 🙂