Group Live Ruby Princess 4/16-4/30

CineGraphic

For those embarking this past Sat (April 23)....did you have to show your ArriveCAN receipt when checking in on Sat or do you just have to have it to show Canadian officials when/if you get off the ship in Victoria (or Vancouver...can't remember where you are going) for that port stop? Our May 10 roll call want to know 😀

Me and my 3 travel mates experience has been the exact opposite.  We’ve been tromping all over the ship inside and out. Not smelled cigarettes or weed anywhere. 
our dining experiences in all venues have been fabulous. 

we are in Astoria getting ready to get off. Just wanted to give another point of view. The Sabatini’s team is the best and yes they were overwhelmed through no fault of their own. I hope everyone who sees a great crew struggling does everything in their power to make the crews feel appreciated and make their job easier. 

remember too some crew have children and loved ones in a war zone. Some of their families are being evacuated in Ukraine as I type this.  These crew are working until midnight and starting at 5 am. If they aren’t perky at times do what YOU should already know is the correct response. Smile for gods sake, telll them thank you for making your experience better. Anything positive 

Edited by HaveDogWillTravel
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 3

45 minutes ago, andio2of5 said:

For those embarking this past Sat (April 23)....did you have to show your ArriveCAN receipt when checking in on Sat or do you just have to have it to show Canadian officials when/if you get off the ship in Victoria (or Vancouver...can't remember where you are going) for that port stop? Our May 10 roll call want to know 😀

We got in line at the pier at 10 am so were closer to the front of the line. We did have to show our ArriveCAN QR code. 
However, they were quickly overwhelmed by how many pax were unprepared and started letting people on who did not have the ap downloaded let alone filled out. The line to embark got really long but I don’t think it rivaled the pier 35 situation.  There is hopefully better communication to those getting on after us.  You are supposed to have it all done to board. And by May 10 it should be routine. 

my nephew helped the people at his MDR table at lunch take care of it, but GS and internet lines were crazy for at least the first two days. I’ve been told we will have to show the QR code to get off or bacj]k on in Canada not sure if that’s both ways or not. 

D7898525-A4CC-4054-A049-C397BA8EC47B.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I guess unless you are a frequent user of CruiseCritic then this requirement to fill out the ArriveCan app prior to embarkation is not well known. From what I have researched, the cruise lines themselves do a pretty bad job in communicating this requirement. It is very often buried deep in the FAQ’s of the cruise lines, and it is just unfortunate that this lack of clear communication leads to long lines at embarkation. 

• Like 3

Wow….today has been crazy.

First, while shopping in Astoria, my bank calls me because there was a ton of suspicious activity on my credit card.

I have not used the card during the entire cruise, but I did have it in my front pocket while walking in Ensenada. It appears that someone was able to scan the card info and tried to make over 60 bogus purchases. Only one went through, for a mere $27 and change. They declined the other charges, all for over $400 from stores in Indianapolis, Washington DC, and Florida. The account has been frozen, and I’ll stop by my bank when we return and they’ll issue me a new card on the spot.

I stopped at guest services to give them a new card since the they had for account was now frozen. The line was long and an old lady who had just left the desk started yelling that it took guest services “3 f’ing hours” to get her app to work, and how frustrating this was, and how this was all Princess’ fault. When I asked her which app she was referring to, she said the ArriveCAN. I then explained that Princess has nothing to do with the app, and before you knew it she was screaming multiple times at the top of her lungs, “F€£# You”

You could have heard a pin drop.

An officer ran after her.

I think I’m done with cruising until people learn how to behave again.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 5

On the ship right now, haven't smelled any weed yet.  Isolation/Quarantine area appears to have been expanded to the bow section of the Starboard side of Aloha deck - A1xx & A2xx cabins.  Ship is a bit understaffed.  Don't know if assigned crew members are in quarantined, poor management, or simply staff shortages.  Just don't expect things to be like pre-pandemic.

42 minutes ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

We got in line at the pier at 10 am so were closer to the front of the line. We did have to show our ArriveCAN QR code. 
However, they were quickly overwhelmed by how many pax were unprepared and started letting people on who did not have the ap downloaded let alone filled out. The line to embark got really long but I don’t think it rivaled the pier 35 situation.  There is hopefully better communication to those getting on after us.  You are supposed to have it all done to board. And by May 10 it should be routine. 

my nephew helped the people at his MDR table at lunch take care of it, but GS and internet lines were crazy for at least the first two days. I’ve been told we will have to show the QR code to get off or back on in Canada not sure if that’s both ways or not. 

On my cruise to Hawaii on the Grand, same thing with the Safe Travels Hawaii app (last time ever).  On the third day, they sent letters out to passengers to show up at the cigar lounge to process.  Long lines with staff and officers trying to get people signed up.  Day before Honolulu, still long lines.  I can see the same happening for all Alaskan voyages stopping in Canada.  

I had to show my pass card 6 times. I counted. But I got there a little before 11 and on by 11. 

People are really upset today. Some blonde woman really upset, cussing out other passengers,  swearing like a drunken sailor but an officer got her calmed down . Now she's pouting. Too funny!!

Guess she could use some weed. Might be better than her table full of beer bottles

Edited by Ombud
  • Haha 11

23 minutes ago, deadzone1003 said:

On the ship right now, haven't smelled any weed yet.  Isolation/Quarantine area appears to have been expanded to the bow section of the Starboard side of Aloha deck - A1xx & A2xx cabins.  Ship is a bit understaffed.  Don't know if assigned crew members are in quarantined, poor management, or simply staff shortages.  Just don't expect things to be like pre-pandemic.

This is my 4th post-pandemic cruise.

The other 3 were fabulous.

Believe me, I’m not looking for problems, and we’re letting a lot of smaller things slide.

The crew is clearly trying to make things right, despite management.

I won’t burden the crew to fix things anymore, and just let corporate address it post-cruise.

Edited by CineGraphic
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, Ombud said:

People are really upset today. Some blonde woman really upset, cussing out other passengers,  swearing like a drunken sailor but an officer got her calmed down . Now she's pouting. Too funny!!

If she is in the piazza on deck 5, she was screaming at me. If not, she’s mot the only angry lady that an officer has had to calm down. 

People need to chill…/this is not pretty.

Thank G-d our next cruise isn’t until October.

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

Wow….today has been crazy.

First, while shopping in Astoria, my bank calls me because there was a ton of suspicious activity on my credit card.

I have not used the card during the entire cruise, but I did have it in my front pocket while walking in Ensenada. It appears that someone was able to scan the card info and tried to make over 60 bogus purchases. Only one went through, for a mere $27 and change. They declined the other charges, all for over $400 from stores in Indianapolis, Washington DC, and Florida. The account has been frozen, and I’ll stop by my bank when we return and they’ll issue me a new card on the spot.

I stopped at guest services to give them a new card since the they had for account was now frozen. The line was long and an old lady who had just left the desk started yelling that it took guest services “3 f’ing hours” to get her app to work, and how frustrating this was, and how this was all Princess’ fault. When I asked her which app she was referring to, she said the ArriveCAN. I then explained that Princess has nothing to do with the app, and before you knew it she was screaming multiple times at the top of her lungs, “F€£# You”

You could have heard a pin drop.

An officer ran after her.

I think I’m done with cruising until people learn how to behave again.

You need the little RFID sleeve for your cc.  Thank God you have another cc to use!

Unbelievable!  How rude of her.

Edited by PacnGoNow
  • Like 2

All this pent up anxiety with no where to go.  Hope on a cruise ship...that will solve all problems.  Too much FCC.  Lots of new cruisers.  

I saw this with the Hawaii Safe Travels app.  It wasn't that difficult to upload and fill out.  People do not do their homework then complain.  Did Princess send out an email saying they had to fill out this app before getting on the boat?  Do people not read the news?  Too many people don't think for themselves anymore (thank you "No Child Left Behind").  Teacher on Soapbox for the day.  

I hope the rest of your cruise improves.  Sounds like Princess is going in the wrong direction.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

We interrupt this thread for a brief moment of happiness.

We just received these flowers from a Ukrainian crew member who was so thankful for the Ukrainian candies we brought on board. I’ve always felt that there is nothing better than a little taste from home to make one happy. Another crew member from the Ukraine gave me a huge hug when I handed her a 3x5 Ukrainian flag. I told to you hang it in her cabin, or wrap herself in it if she’s feeling sad.

They are so grateful knowing that others care about them in these tough times.
I am so touched by this, and just wanted to share this with everyone.

5DE2E246-3D6A-45E4-9E38-F968E247F715.thumb.jpeg.c4455e1b3378094097d669d9b77555ed.jpeg

• Like 41

4 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

We interrupt this thread for a brief moment of happiness.

We just received these flowers from a Ukrainian crew member who was so thankful for the Ukrainian candies we brought on board. I’ve always felt that there is nothing better than a little taste from home to make one happy. Another crew member from the Ukraine gave me a huge hug when I handed her a 3x5 Ukrainian flag. I told to you hang it in her cabin, or wrap herself in it if she’s feeling sad.

They are so grateful knowing that others care about them in these tough times.
I am so touched by this, and just wanted to share this with everyone.

5DE2E246-3D6A-45E4-9E38-F968E247F715.thumb.jpeg.c4455e1b3378094097d669d9b77555ed.jpeg

So wonderful!  Thanks for sharing Eric.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

Last week was California Coastal, this week is Pacific Northwest.

I’m hardly a prude, but it stinks.

Now this really made me laugh!  

Happy we were on the cruise before this one.  I didn't smell weed at all.  Not many cigarettes either.

The swearing woman in the piazza!  OMG.

On last weeks cruise everyone seemed friendly and happy to finally be cruising. 

We had a blast. 

On our return to SF 1 of our 6 tested positive for covid.  We were together constantly, eating, drinking, touring......interesting how 1 out of 6 gets it.  Or maybe we are asymptomatic?  Doing a PCR test tomorrow to be sure.

• Like 2

Ugh, what an unpleasant Bundt.  

Princess needs to adopt a zero-tolerance policy for abusive behavior directed at passengers or crew.  I guarantee getting left on the pier in Astoria, OR with your luggage will cause you to seriously reconsider the decisions you’ve made that got you to that point - it’s a tough place to get out of. 

We had an unpleasant passenger on our Christmas cruise on Ruby and the staff made the situation worse by putting up with her drama and comping her more alcohol, culminating in her having an actual meltdown with flung furniture in Good Spirits and a crew member accused of insulting her when he asked if she needed medical help. 

• Like 5

On 4/24/2022 at 4:44 PM, memoak said:

My understanding is that you need to complete the ArriveCAN prior to embarking on any cruise that involves Canada. We sail on 4/30 from LA to Vancouver and have been expecting to have to fill out the rest of the app before we sail. We shall see

That is correct.  Just make sure you update your app today for the latest change regarding no more 

quarantine plan (and others).

• Like 1

I'm not sure the kind of behavior you describe is anything new.  In 2009 when the State department issued a travel warning to Mexico due to the H1N1 flu virus all the cruise lines altered their itineraries.  Those in transit, such as the one I was on, turned around.  People lost their s***.  It was incredible listening to full grown people literally screaming at the guest services for something over which they had no control.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, deadzone1003 said:

Looks like covid19 still big issue on the ship I guess.. wonder how many are positive

From this article...143 pax were positive onboard for voyage ended April 11

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ruby-princess-cruise-ship-princess-covid-19/#app

11 hours ago, SFO-F/A said:

Now this really made me laugh!  

Happy we were on the cruise before this one.  I didn't smell weed at all.  Not many cigarettes either.

The swearing woman in the piazza!  OMG.

On last weeks cruise everyone seemed friendly and happy to finally be cruising. 

We had a blast. 

On our return to SF 1 of our 6 tested positive for covid.  We were together constantly, eating, drinking, touring......interesting how 1 out of 6 gets it.  Or maybe we are asymptomatic?  Doing a PCR test tomorrow to be sure.

So what was she swearing about? I heard her screaming but couldn’t see what was happening. I’ve never experienced anything like that on a cruise before. 

2 hours ago, Killin Time said:

So what was she swearing about? I heard her screaming but couldn’t see what was happening. I’ve never experienced anything like that on a cruise before. 

She was frustrated about how long it took for the crew to fill in her Info into her ArriveCAN app, and said it was ruining her vacation. She simply went ballistic after I tried to explain that Princess has nothing to do with the Canadian customs app. It was vile.

• Like 2

I’ve been told off the record that the dining problems are not due to a shortage of servers, but a shortage of kitchen staff. Cooks are working multiple stations, and even their own lunch breaks were cancelled the other day because they needed to prep for dinner.

We are cancelling our remaining specialty dining reservations, and I hope they are smart enough not to fill our spots with other guests. I have never seen a line at Crown Grill before…..it was long all night. 
They are clearly overwhelmed.

This is our 4th post-Covid cruise, and clearly the worst. The other 3 were all excellent.

• Thanks 2