Planks BBQ on Caribbean Princess

kokopelli-az

10 minutes ago, kokopelli-az said:

Where is this restaurant on the Caribbean Princess?    I can't find it on the deck plan.    It's showing as a Speciality Restaurant on the app for our June 11 sailing.

Planks and Steamers are the rear section of the World Market Place buffet on deck 15. During daytime these seating areas are used for those dining in the World Market Place. They show on the deck plans on the Princess site. I read they are not currently operating. Expect that this could change at any time.

• Like 1

Pre Covid Planks & Steamers was open every evening starting around 6pm, basically walk in. If you sat in the Planks area you were able to order from the Steamers menu and visa versa. This was an advantage if two people enjoyed different foods.

Right now I read Planks & Steamers has not been operating. 

Oh geeze, I didn't even think about looking at the buffet area deck plan.    

Planks is showing as an available speciality dining option to choose on the app.   I hope I don't make reservations there only to find out they're not open on June 11.   

11 minutes ago, msmoger said:

I wonder if it's a possibility that the current dry dock will see the elimination of both venues.  I hope not. I liked them.

We tried Planks last time we were on the Caribbean in August 2019 and we liked it as well.  The cover was only $10 and we thought it was well worth it.  There were only a couple of other diners there so I agree with @skynight in that it wasn't super popular.  I'll be on the CB in August and was hoping to go again.  

15 minutes ago, msmoger said:

I wonder if it's a possibility that the current dry dock will see the elimination of both venues.  I hope not. I liked them.

Very unlikely. Steamers is fairly popular. It's an alternative for the crab shack which was very popular when offered. It does bring revenue. From what I saw Planks is less popular than steamers. If it does change it would be to a different menu not eliminated.

I don't see that Princess has excess revenue to make large scale changes to their ships during dry dock.

• Like 1

When we sailed CB the Planks and Steamers was where we ate breakfast and sometimes lunch. At breakfast the custom made omelets and such were prepared there. The main buffet area (Fresh World Marketplace) had pre-made eggs and such and most folks didn't get past the offerings there. If you continued on further aft the options were better. For omelets they had a lot of ingredients and you just filled a cup with the ingredients you wanted in your omelet and handed it to the cook. They gave you a number and brought the finished item to you at your table. Also, those venues were used for lunch at no extra charge. They would have things like a burrito bar and a ramen bar where you chose your own ingredients. We ate lunch there several times and enjoyed it. Hopefully all options will be back in service soon.

2 hours ago, kokopelli-az said:

No charge?   

Nope. If Planks and Steamers are open for dinner that meal has a charge. Breakfast and lunch are included in the fare.

Edited by Thrak

6 hours ago, kokopelli-az said:

No charge?   

Planks and Steamers was a re-do of the Cafe Caribe area of the buffet. The serving line was open for selected hours during breakfast and lunch as mentioned in post #12. The seating area was open for Horizon Ct. users. There is no charge for the breakfast and lunch food served in these areas and to sit in these areas. At dinner the area is exclusive for Planks & Steamers. There is a charge for dinner.

• Like 1

Expanding on somebody else's point, they also had no issue with people bringing over food from the buffet, if you want to keep somebody company but not eat the same thing. (Not much food people can eat off the Steamers menu if they're allergic to shellfish...) 

• 1 month later...

Too my knowledge Planks & Steamers have not operated since the Caribbean Princess re-entered service and Princess has given no indication of when, or if, either will be brought back. I’m traveling on her in December and frankly do not expect them to be available. 

From all the reading I've been doing it appears that a crew shortage (on Princess as well as other cruise lines) might be the problem to having Planks in operation. I doubt if it'll be corrected anytime soon.