ArriveCAN Quarantine Plan Not Required for Fully Vaccinated Travellers & Others - Effective 25 April 2022

Mike & Zen

Yes, I understand how it works.  I had a fever dream that vaccination status could have been bodged on to the rest of the TTP status within two years and not required ArriveCAN for those of us arriving via the NEXUS lane. 

2 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

.They dropped all that stuff no thanks to Carnival as someone suggested.

Yes, I’m referring to the lobbying work done with both BC and the feds in right of Yukon with regards to their White Pass and Yukon Railroad.  Their own execs called it out 

“(Tyler Rose) praised the work of everyone who tried to get the trains running WPYR’s full route, naming Yukon MP Brendan Hanley and Economic Development Minister Ranj Pillai.”

Carnival’s position was that requiring ArriveCAN submission for everyone spending a couple of hours inside Canada and then being whisked directly back out again was going to lead to schedule risk for the WP&YR without a meaningful change in public health.  My *sneaking suspicion* is that they made the same argument with regard to Victoria technical calls - that the feds should accept a pre-arrival manifest submission containing the same data for everyone onboard rather than requiring every travel party to use ArriveCAN.   

I think the ArriveCAN data for entry by individual travelers before boarding the ship is very smart.  I think dropping the quarantine plan and entry testing requirements for fully vaccinated travelers eliminates a lot of confusion and anxiety for infrequent border crossers.  I do sort of have to wonder what advantage is gained by having 3000 people per ship make another ArriveCAN posting when the line could collect and send the same data as one file and then send another saying that everyone who entered left X hours later.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, VibeGuy said:

Carnivore Corporation has absolutely been applying pressure to Canada to relax documentation requirements for port calls and shorex that touch Canada, and I think the current state is the best we can expect for at least the first month of the cruise season.  

hot take:  the same types of data are gathered by ArriveCAN and MedallionClass.   ArriveCAN works much, much better. 

I had hoped that my NEXUS membership would be enough - upload vaccine proof into ArriveCAN once, never need to file again, a generic instance could be created each time my NEXUS was read at the border.  No dice.  

Hopefully they can improve this process.  It appears to be repetitive

5 hours ago, VibeGuy said:

Yes, I’m referring to the lobbying work done with both BC and the feds in right of Yukon with regards to their White Pass and Yukon Railroad.  Their own execs called it out 

“(Tyler Rose) praised the work of everyone who tried to get the trains running WPYR’s full route, naming Yukon MP Brendan Hanley and Economic Development Minister Ranj Pillai.”

Carnival’s position was that requiring ArriveCAN submission for everyone spending a couple of hours inside Canada and then being whisked directly back out again was going to lead to schedule risk for the WP&YR without a meaningful change in public health.  My *sneaking suspicion* is that they made the same argument with regard to Victoria technical calls - that the feds should accept a pre-arrival manifest submission containing the same data for everyone onboard rather than requiring every travel party to use ArriveCAN.   

I think the ArriveCAN data for entry by individual travelers before boarding the ship is very smart.  I think dropping the quarantine plan and entry testing requirements for fully vaccinated travelers eliminates a lot of confusion and anxiety for infrequent border crossers.  I do sort of have to wonder what advantage is gained by having 3000 people per ship make another ArriveCAN posting when the line could collect and send the same data as one file and then send another saying that everyone who entered left X hours later.  

You are just far too smart and logical for our Federal government.  😉

• Like 1

A reminder to update your ArriveCAN app today.  I did a dummy data input in the Marine section and so much easier and quicker without the Quarantine plan questions and enter of quarantine location.

Just use the 4 or so dates available to enter your date of embarkation and your on your way to "explore." 

Are you travelling on a cruise ship?  No or Yes;

Yes,  "Cruise ship name".  Enter the first couple of letters and options of ship names appear. Tap on your ships name;

Stateroom number(s) on cruise ship (optional);

Is your cruise terminating in Canada?  No or Yes;

Your contact information....Primary Phone Number...Phone type.  Secondary Phone Number (optional)...Phone type;

What is your official language of choice?  English or French;

Select travellers for this trip...up to 8 travellers;

COVID-19 testing requirements...Travellers who qualify as fully vaccinated...no longer required to produce proof of a COVID-19 test result before their arrival at a land or marine port of entry;

Then goes on for individuals 5 years of age or older who need to provide proof of test (very limited exceptions).  This would be unvaccinated, partially vaccinated, medical, religious, etc, etc;

Tap "I UNDERSTAND"

Then declare if you visited countries, except for USA, you have visited in last 14 days?  No or Yes;

Then a one question self assessment, Fever, cough, difficult breathing, etc.  Yes or No;

Then, bingo, Thank you for filling out, acknowledge all info is true, and then "SUBMIT"

Of course, don't submit, just tap back to the first page and tap the delete garbage can.

• Thanks 1

This does feel super silly.  We sailed in the Caribbean where many islands had testing and/or vaccine required and never had to submit anything because the cruise line’s requirements satisfied the island.

At the very least they should only require an ArriveCan registration for those who actually disembark in Victoria or cross the land border to Canada on an excursion.

• Like 1

On 4/23/2022 at 3:06 PM, northcalgal said:

We are cruising to Alaska round trip from San Francisco May 30th on the Ruby. Ships last stop is Victoria BC. Why have I not seen any information from Princess on this AriveCan. App or form. Do we have to do this for our cruise. We Have put in everything in the Medallion app except Health Status & we have a Green light & QR code

We got the info about two weeks before our cruise.  We cruise from San Fran on the 30th I’d this month and got the check off list of things to compete on the 18th.

52 minutes ago, Wavesprite said:

We got the info about two weeks before our cruise.  We cruise from San Fran on the 30th I’d this month and got the check off list of things to compete on the 18th.

Thanks, I finally found the info buried in the FAQ's page & talked to my Princess Rep she said can't fill the ArriveCan out till 30 days before Cruise.

I must say this is the 3rd cruise we have booked thru our Princess Rep. Whenever I call she responds within one day & always is helpful. I have heard people trying to call Princess & being on hold for hours. One of the pluses of booking with the same Princess abent.

1 hour ago, northcalgal said:

Thanks, I finally found the info buried in the FAQ's page & talked to my Princess Rep she said can't fill the ArriveCan out till 30 days before Cruise.

I must say this is the 3rd cruise we have booked thru our Princess Rep. Whenever I call she responds within one day & always is helpful. I have heard people trying to call Princess & being on hold for hours. One of the pluses of booking with the same Princess abent.

Actually, you can sign up for your ArriveCAN account now and input/scan your passport and proof of vaccination to get that part out of the way.   I would recommend the app as it is very easy to use.  The air and land(rail) option will allow you to input the rest of the data 72 hours before your date of arrival to Canada, and the entry by marine option will allow you to enter your data about an extra day (96 hours) before your date of embarkation and then for your date of arrival up to 30 days later.

And agree, the Princess ArriveCAN information is hidden in the last question in the Before you Sail section!

The ArriveCAN help phone number 1-833-283-7403 (toll-free from Canada or the U.S)

ArriveCAN website: 

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/arrivecan.html 

ArriveCAN help website:

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/arrivecan/help.html

• 3 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, MT_DreamChaser said:

I downloaded the app within the last week and it is still asking for quarantine info for fully vaccinated guests when I enter information for Southbound ending in Vancouver. 

It sounds like you may need to refresh the app. We did ArriveCAN before our April 30 Majestic cruise and did not have to fill out quarantine plans

1 hour ago, MT_DreamChaser said:

I downloaded the app within the last week and it is still asking for quarantine info for fully vaccinated guests when I enter information for Southbound ending in Vancouver. 

There was an app update two days ago that says the app now asks vaccinated travelers to provide a destination address.  Is this what you’re seeing or does it specifically ask for “quarantine” info?

I very confused about when to complete  the ARRIVECAN App etc.. We will be on a southbound Alaska cruisetour on the Majestic princess in July '22. I assume we can complete the app after we get tested(so far promised by Princess) 72 hours somewhere between Denali and Whittier cruise terminal, so we can get on the ship.. That's if I can get a Verizon cell signal or wifi(told not on train). But, do we need to complete another ARRIVECAN app for our Skagway bus excursion to the Canadian summit (passport  req'd)? Then complete another ARRIVECAN app to disembark in Vancouver. If so will we need wifi on the ship? 

17 hours ago, Willwils said:

I very confused about when to complete  the ARRIVECAN App etc.. We will be on a southbound Alaska cruisetour on the Majestic princess in July '22. I assume we can complete the app after we get tested(so far promised by Princess) 72 hours somewhere between Denali and Whittier cruise terminal, so we can get on the ship.. That's if I can get a Verizon cell signal or wifi(told not on train). But, do we need to complete another ARRIVECAN app for our Skagway bus excursion to the Canadian summit (passport  req'd)? Then complete another ARRIVECAN app to disembark in Vancouver. If so will we need wifi on the ship? 

Skagway - probably. All the wording of cruise exemptions does not seem to include an optional land border crossing ArriveCAN exemption, though it does mean you will definitely not be randomly Covid tested. Tour guides/bus drivers will know whether it's needed and be shouting about it if it is! Hopefully we'll also see some reports from CC members who have done bus tours over the border soon so it's definitive, but better safe than sorry if in doubt!!!

Vancouver - nope, the ArriveCAN before boarding is specifically to cover your disembark in Vancouver. That's the Port of Entry you'll have to use when you're filling out the fields (unless you have a Victoria stop before of course, but those 7 day N/S cruises rarely do any Canadian ports except Vancouver).

6 hours ago, martincath said:

Skagway - probably. All the wording of cruise exemptions does not seem to include an optional land border crossing ArriveCAN exemption, though it does mean you will definitely not be randomly Covid tested. Tour guides/bus drivers will know whether it's needed and be shouting about it if it is! Hopefully we'll also see some reports from CC members who have done bus tours over the border soon so it's definitive, but better safe than sorry if in doubt!!!

Vancouver - nope, the ArriveCAN before boarding is specifically to cover your disembark in Vancouver. That's the Port of Entry you'll have to use when you're filling out the fields (unless you have a Victoria stop before of course, but those 7 day N/S cruises rarely do any Canadian ports except Vancouver).

But, I phoned the Canadian gov't covid-19 help line  today @ 1-833-784-4397 & was told even though we board in Whittier going south with testing & ARRIVECAN that we must again do ARRIVECAN within 72hrs if our Skagway excursion  goes into Canada. Then another  ARRIVECAN within 72 hrs of disembarkation in Vancouver. Has anyone out there done this yet this month? 

On 4/22/2022 at 4:43 PM, Babr said:

unless the US updates its plan so that fully vaccinated people can fly without a test.

With our present nanny state, don’t hold your breath on this happening. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Willwils said:

But, I phoned the Canadian gov't covid-19 help line  today @ 1-833-784-4397 & was told even though we board in Whittier going south with testing & ARRIVECAN that we must again do ARRIVECAN within 72hrs if our Skagway excursion  goes into Canada. Then another  ARRIVECAN within 72 hrs of disembarkation in Vancouver. Has anyone out there done this yet this month? 

The first part then confirms my suspicions - that the optional land border crossing does indeed need ArriveCAN completed. The second part seems to conflict with the trip report I read, but the filks you phoned should be more in the know than I am and better safe than sorry!

At the end of the day you are literally talking about re-entering the same people, from a list of saved travelers, on the same App that you've just used twice in a few days so it should take you at most a couple of minutes to do... while on land, in the US, able to use domestic phone data/free internet somewhere in town before you board right after you cross back over the border in Skagway from your bus ride.

If it were me, I'd go with what you've been told by the government phone minion - if it turns out you did not need to do it you have only wasted 2 minutes, whereas if you do not do it and you should have you could be facing fines or enforced quarantine for failing to provide ArriveCAN info.

I'll try to find that trip report and link to the relevant 'what we did where' about ArriveCAN, editing this comment if it turns up quickly or adding another if too late to edit...

Too late to edit - I found one of the threads that touched on this topic @Willwils but skimming through it again it's not exactly the same as yours, as it was an RT cruise (but therefore did need a Preboarding ArriveCAN). They did also confirm a separate ArriveCAN for Skagway land border, then did not mention needing to do another Marine entry to return to Canada - so I would suggest reaching out directly to her unless she replies based on me name-dropping her right now: @karatemom2

Here's her main thread; and a second one where she (I think) Cut & pasted the port of call info - she seems to be quite active at the moment so hopefully will confirm about any additional Marine ArriveCAN entry being needed after the Skagway trip or not.

My computer professional Daughter Facebook chatted with someone who just completed an Alaska  cruise that terminated in Vancouver and also had a Skagway tour. On this matter you can see where RCL seems much better at communicating ARRIVECAN info. But contradicts what Canada rep told me on phone.  THIS IS WHAT SHE WROTE....

3) My Skagway excursion ONLY goes to the border and turns around.  No ArriveCAN is needed for it.  Already confirmed with people that were on the excursion this week.  Only need your passport for emergencies on that one since going to the border (but not crossing it).
4) You fill out the ArriveCAN per the directions/paper you will receive while on the land portion.  That covers you for the entire cruise AND getting off the ship.  You ARE FINE!!!!  Please stop reading into everything.  You will not go to jail or be arrested.  Just follow what the papers say that you receive from Princess while on the trip.  The only time you would need to do it twice is if you flew into Canada and THEN got on a cruise ship days later.  That is not your situation.  When you fill it out, it asks what day you get off the ship (and that's within 30 days of getting on the ship). You will have the app and your cell will work fine in Canada if officials pull you over and ask to prove you filled it out.  Here is an example.  This is not your exact situation as you start the cruise in USA.  Again, Princess will provide directions if anything changes while on the ship.  I heard they even provided a class when people got on the ship if they had issues filling it out.  You will be doing it in Alaska though and will be fine.  It's very simple.  Embarkation date has to be within 72 hours of starting the form.  Disembarkation is 30 days from filling out the form.
Again - you start the cruise in Alaska and tell them when you get off the ship - so that is ALLLLLLLLLLLLLL you do.  Period.  Not everyone is even aware of ArriveCAM until they board the ship in Alaska.  They will walk you thru it on the land portion and then are DONE!
I hope she's right.

What have people put in for the section that says that "vaccinated travelers are to provide a destination address".  In my case, my first port of call in Canada is Saint John, New Brunswick but the cruise ends in Quebec City.  

Thanks

On 4/25/2022 at 7:15 PM, MommyOTwins said:

At the very least they should only require an ArriveCan registration for those who actually disembark in Victoria or cross the land border to Canada on an excursion.

Yup, but that would not make the Canadian bureaucrats happy 😀 

On 4/22/2022 at 4:43 PM, Babr said:

Important update. Thanks.

Anyone returning to the US still can’t board a plane if they test positive so they’ll still need to have a place to stay unless the US updates its plan so that fully vaccinated people can fly without a test.

If its off a cruise then you will be in Vancouver, CA.  In this case then take the train/bus to Seattle and fly from there w/o needing a test to enter the US or fly from SEA.  Is this logical, no but its how the rules are written..