Gloves

PhotoGal07

I take two pair of light weight Head gloves from Costco, 10 bucks each, and keep a pair in the coats I normally wear most often. SO takes one pair. I’ve never had a pair get so wet I had to change them out.  I think the decision should be based more on the excursions you’d be doing. If they don’t provide gloves, say, during a kayak excursion, yes two pair because this pair would most definitely get wet.

• Like 1

Unless you have awfully sensitive hands - or - are venturing out on a Glacier trek - gloves

really are not necessary - more of nuisance taking them on and off to take pictures by

camera or cell phone unless you have the dexterity to do this.

It would be a good idea as mentioned about latex gloves i.e. the medical grade ones -

lightweight moisture proof and take up virtually no room in any pocket jacket bag etc.

People people you are going to Alaska in the summer -

You don't need long underwear - thermal lined gear - bunny boots - parkas 

You are hundreds of miles from the Artic even at Fairbanks

Recent global warming trends have temperatures above the normal average 

Consider all the weight saved by packing it in only what you need.

Some of the stuff on the excursions will be provided and if you score a last minute

excursion you can buy or supplement in layers what you do have.

And frankly you don't have that much room in your small cabin for your wardrobe. 

• Like 3

I have been on a dozen Alaskan cruises as well as three land visits (one last summer that lasted 28 days) and have experienced all kinds of weather—snow, rain, heat.  My advice is always to carry and dress in layers.  Last July we experienced warm sunny days in Denali and cold, freezing rain in Seward the next week.  You can always take things off if it’s too warm.  Well-made cold weather clothing usually does  not take up that much room in your cabin or luggage.  I travel with a medium-sized suitcase and backpack.  I wear my water proof hiking shoes on the plane to save space.

Yes, many companies will provide you with cold weather gear (call to check) but, for the same reasons I use my own snorkeling gear, I wear my own.  Hubby is tall (6’5”)—most companies cannot accommodate his height or shoe size!

The gloves that I use are waterproof, thin and insulated.  They also have touchscreen capability so I don’t have to remove my gloves to take pictures.  Gloves don’t take up that much room in luggage.

I like to be prepared for the weather on all of my trips not just to Alaska.  If my feet get wet or my hands get cold, I am more likely to cut an experience short just to get warm.  

• Like 1

Also, if you are stopping in Ketchikan, the Tongass Trading Co. right off the cruise dock has a million pairs of gloves for sale, sometimes for as low as 0.99$.  I got an adorable pair that say "Alaska" and have a bear and moose for that price over 10 years ago.  I still wear them!  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Kitty Ellas Mom said:

disneyochem, what brand of gloves do you use?  I got some that were supposed to allow me to use my phone but they didn't work.  Yours sound great.

This is the pair that I use that is truly waterproof (as opposed to water resistant!):  https://www.sealskinzusa.com/products/waterproof-all-weather-glove.  I live in Northern California and use these gloves when cycling in the rain.  In Alaska, I’ve used them on glacier treks, kayaking trips and dog sledding trips.

I also use a lighter (and cheaper!) pair of gloves on days that I don’t need waterproofing.

Everyone is different—my hands feel the cold more than others.   

• Like 1

It was 39F when we stepped off the ship in Ketchikan this morning with mixed rain, wind and some sun. We wore gloves, most weren't although looked like they wanted them. To each their own.

Edited by Glaciers
  • Thanks 1

On 5/8/2022 at 9:48 PM, don't-use-real-name said:

Unless you have awfully sensitive hands - or - are venturing out on a Glacier trek - gloves

really are not necessary - more of nuisance taking them on and off to take pictures by

camera or cell phone unless you have the dexterity to do this.

It would be a good idea as mentioned about latex gloves i.e. the medical grade ones -

lightweight moisture proof and take up virtually no room in any pocket jacket bag etc.

People people you are going to Alaska in the summer -

You don't need long underwear - thermal lined gear - bunny boots - parkas 

You are hundreds of miles from the Artic even at Fairbanks

Recent global warming trends have temperatures above the normal average 

Consider all the weight saved by packing it in only what you need.

Some of the stuff on the excursions will be provided and if you score a last minute

excursion you can buy or supplement in layers what you do have.

And frankly you don't have that much room in your small cabin for your wardrobe. 

I would assume tolerance to cold is developed. Im from Florida, 60 is coat weather. My thin thermal gear takes up no more room than a t-shirt . My hands are always cold. My gloves are touchscreen.