Insulated Coffee Mugs

Molliem

Pre-covid, I had no issue with filling mine with two tea bags and hot water from the buffet and taking it back to my room (or drinking it there!). I never tried using it at the coffee bar next to the International Cafe, though.

I have not sailed during this pandemic era, so I'm not sure what the protocols are now or if they would let me use it at the buffet.

Yes, we did on the Grand in March. And saw several others with them. They also sell them in the onboard store. If you don't buy the coffee package, know that the buffet coffee changed from Douwe Egberts to Nescafe and it's an improvement. Personally, I bring Starbucks Via.

• Like 2

My wife brought hers.  Only time she used it was in the Concierge lounge though, using the machine in there.  She could probably have used it in the Buffet too.  Never tried while seated at the table for a server to fill.

14 minutes ago, scooter6139 said:

My wife brought hers.  Only time she used it was in the Concierge lounge though, using the machine in there.  She could probably have used it in the Buffet too.  Never tried while seated at the table for a server to fill.

so she used a cup, then poured the beverage into her mug, right?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, voljeep said:

so she used a cup, then poured the beverage into her mug, right?

Nope.  Put her insulated mug (Hydroflask Coffee Mug, 16 oz) under the dispenser, chose her coffee (decaf cappuccino) and watched it fill.  Usually took three tries.  

I would imaging due to covid that the IC probably wouldn't take your cup and fill it......could be wrong, but if they won't let you touch tongs in the Buffet, I doubt the coffee cup could be handed back and forth.   I'd just pour it in my cup after I got it.

As for filling it in the buffet, if you are the only one touching it, then it's not a problem.

1 hour ago, scooter6139 said:

Nope.  Put her insulated mug (Hydroflask Coffee Mug, 16 oz) under the dispenser, chose her coffee (decaf cappuccino) and watched it fill.  Usually took three tries.  

There are signs on the dispensers in the buffet indicating that guests should not refill personal containers directly from the dispensers. Using a fresh cup or glass located beside the dispenser and pouring the contents into a personal container is OK. 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, PaulC29 said:

Just a guess  at worst - might have to fill their cup then pour it in your own to carry around.  I'd bring it. 

There's a sign on the dispensers to do exactly that.

The reason: if there are germs on your personal cup and splashes occur during filling, the germs can/will get on the dispenser. Not good.

Years ago, a hospital where I worked took samples from the sinks in one of the ICUs. There was Psuedomonas (causes a nasty pneumonia in immunocompromised) growing on the sink, the surround and the faucet. Not good.

2 hours ago, scooter6139 said:

I've done that.😊

I have enough to try to pack for our alaskan cruise without worrying about packing my 32oz coffee cup too....🤣I'll just use the insulated cup they give with the package and just have to refill it more often 🤣

4 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

There's a sign on the dispensers to do exactly that.

The reason: if there are germs on your personal cup and splashes occur during filling, the germs can/will get on the dispenser. Not good.

Years ago, a hospital where I worked took samples from the sinks in one of the ICUs. There was Psuedomonas (causes a nasty pneumonia in immunocompromised) growing on the sink, the surround and the faucet. Not good.

I've done that.😊

Yet on many cruises we've been on (Not Princess Yet) see people in Buffet refill the same cup regardless of it being ship provided - Splashes still happen.  Just saying. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Molliem said:

Are we allowed to use our own insulated coffee mugs onboard?

---

Absolutely.  Post-COVID we have sailed 8 times on Princess since October 2021 and always have continued to bring our large insulated mugs as well as our 40-ounce Hydro Flask thermos for our coffee.

Early in the mornings before the buffet is open we bring both our mugs and thermos to the beverage stations to fill up.  Both pre- and post-COVID we always use a clean cup from the station and fill that cup with the coffee, and pour that into our mugs and thermos.

In the mornings seated at the buffet we give our mugs to the waitpersons to fill and refill.

---

Edited by RSS from SF
  • Like 1

After 26 years in the Army and way too many years of having to get up at zero dark thirty the number one item I don't leave home without is my 20 oz insulated coffee mug and that includes when I go on a Princess cruise.  In our 30+ cruises I have never had a problem getting it filled at the International Cafe or Le Patisserie on the smaller ships.  On our most recent cruise in Jan/Feb of this year aboard Emerald Princess, which was still observing fairly strict COVID protocols they, at least for brewed coffee, still filled my mug and added the "fixin's" per my instructions.  

On 5/12/2022 at 10:56 AM, sandyoftheseas said:

Moondogy-  When we were on the Discovery Princess in April they did not have any insulated cups that comes with the drink package I called and asked.  I don't know if it was just that ship or if they are not providing them anymore.  

Saw a few posts where only some have gotten the tumbler for the Premium drink package as well - some didn't care others asked for it at Guest service desk.  Personally if it's listed as part of the package I want it!! so I'll be asking if it's not in our cabin.  I'm fine filling one cup dumping into mine if that's what's required although just because a sign is posted doesn't mean people will do it especially if a physical staff member isn't nearby.