US cruisers stranded in Europe

Tony UK

35 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Sorry that your vacation is being controlled by C-19 and know it is a great disappointment for you, as well, to have to be subject to policies of governments and X...

I would trust that most of us would understand that policies and rules covering public transportation and the like will, can and do change at moments notice. If not, then we have to take what is dealt at the time.

I think most of the 'brilliant' individuals really mean that this situation needed to be anticipated, if not exactly known. Since you are on CC, there have been opportunities to read about others on X's (and other ships) who are in a similar situation and etc...

As for not having "no control over.", we have a great degree of control over the situation, it is rather we want to have and keep control or not.

I just cancelled my move-up bids to suites based on the number of posts from those 'residents' contracting C-19 vs non-suiters (LOL), not that the later as any more knowledge than the former, I Am in the belief that there are more opportunities to social distance and keep safer, faulty posit I know, yet I Am sticking to it to remain safer as possible!!!

We sail soon and We will do what we can to keep control over it and not believe that certain measures we take will 'ruin' our ability to enjoy the sailing.

But be that as it may, you are not in an enviable position at the moment, regardless.

In health and bon voyage

I also decided against move up bids. Initially I thought it might be a good back up plan to have better accommodation but it seems it would be throwing good money after bad. Now if they let us stay in our own room I might just bid!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, bananavan said:

They keep you on until the final port. 
 I just had a visit from the Nurse to remove an IV line. 
She reiterated that the situation had changed so rapidly that nobody had any idea what was going to happen. 
The previous Edge passengers who tested positive for Covid did so after they disembarked. 
And the Edge was lucky,  the Odyssey had 300 persons in Covid lockdown at the end of that Transatlantic 

And to Bo, 

No, I did  not spend my days on Cruise Critic prior to this last cruise. 
We had other  things to deal with, which are nobody's business other than our own. 
When we departed there were very few other Transatlantic that had gone ahead of us. 
Until I started reading JETBLUE's account I had no idea as to the severity of the situation. 
That some of you think that you would have prevented this happening to you because you know better, I wish you the best of luck.
There were constant posts about how they were able to prevent getting covid. 
And I brought my own hand made anti viral spray and cloths to disinfect every square inch of the suite. And I had a special spray to disinfect my masks when returned to the Suite. 
And I used the Hand sanitizer along with a cloth in the Luminae to clean the salt and pepper shakers as soon as I noticed that of all items on the table, these were never changed between guests. 
So despite these precautions, we still got Covid. 
If you read various cruising posts all over there are those whose luggage got lost: 
When they post that they get the response: "We always pack a set of formal wear, casual wear, and swim wear for each of us in each of our carryon bags." In other words, these people should have anticipated losing their suitcases. 
.Where they get room for the Miss February  28 days of underwear, fruit and nut snacks in case of quarantine, back up medications in case they are stranded with covid 19, is anyone's guess. Oh and books, downloaded to the Kindle that might have also gotten lost, because who worries about losing a Kindle these days? 
I did remember to put the George Forman grill back in the garage before we departed because I decided that I probably was not going to do my normal amount of fishing off the aft balcony while we were on a Transatlantic.
I also left the blender in the kitchen because we had the Premier Drinks package. I regret that now because  I did not realize how badly I would need non stop Margaritas what with this Covid Quarantine .
If you think that you can outrun this, I am happy for you. 
We live in Florida. We were quite comfortable mixing with others over the past two years and did not develop even a runny nose. We are vaxxed and boosted. We did what we were supposed to do, according to the Public Health authorities. 
But not enough. 
The one thing I can state is that eating ones own words is rather distasteful. 
For all those who suggest we should have known better, I will be watching this space with great intensity . What else do I have to do? It is not like I have photos to catalog. 
v

If we all thought we should have known better no one would be cruising!

We cancelled our Caribbean one in Jan as Omnicron had just "taken off" and then cancelled the Galapagos (should be there at the moment) not so much because of the virus but more due to the expense and they were both first time experiences.

We have rebooked a shorter cruise at the end of the week - 7 nights from Rome. All the changes to procedures open our eyes to what if but you can't go fully prepared as the situation is so fluid!

Although, coming from the UK, we are not so much stuck in Italy. I think I would opt to stay onboard though (even though we are fully insured) as I prefer the known to the unknown.

Wishing you all the best and I think some of the previous comments are uncalled for and extremely insensitive to your situation!

Edited by rachiem
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, Tony UK said:

I'm not sure why you believe people werent sympathetic just because they were British.....maybe a bit of bunker mentality lol!! Like you we didnt travel until the horizon looked a little brighter. We are lucky our Governments doesn't now stop us coming home!!

I dont think people want sympathy...they want relevant practical information. Ideally they want Governments and companies to be more realistic and transparent. Most of the posts are alerting people to the need to research, insure, have back up plans. 

Hope for the best prepare for the worst!!

Of course we want sympathy for our 'individual' situations in regards to this, otherwise what is the need to post about it here on CC, especially when we believe there is a legitimate beef to air vs just stating the experience being enjoyed at the moment???

Then, what is the reason we as 'potential' passengers are not held to higher standards in terms of being realistic? Do you not believe that we as travelers need not do a minimum amount of research before leaving home or even before plopping down that final payment for a cruise to know what is going on, rather we read or post to CC or not?

Most of the posts by those caught up in the situation, for whatever reason and even if they did not know about C-19 running rampant on ships and planes and in various countries they will visit or not, will justify the reason for being upset and etc... not to say the admonishments are not justified to some degree but to dodge the responsibility because they had other things to take care of before sailing and etc... is not justification, IMO.

I say, if ANYONE here on CC catches me retort similarly were I in this situation, please laugh at me and point me back to my previous postings. I do have empathy for those who are in this situation, yet often times it stops at the initial embarkation and/or how they handle the situation.

We pay so much money to NOT know during these times, what may or may not happen in terms of C-19 (or other dis-eases) and all the previous history posted about what happens aboard and at off-loading the next port is information not to be taken lightly, especially if taking a TA or UK or European sailing.

I, for one, cannot be so cavalier to dismiss the potential challenges and situations surrounding traveling at this time. And I do choose to travel, albeit with caution and I trust with enough to continue to be healthy and safe until I Am home for months from the sailings.

In health and bon voyage

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

Of course we want sympathy for our 'individual' situations in regards to this, otherwise what is the need to post about it here on CC, especially when we believe there is a legitimate beef to air vs just stating the experience being enjoyed at the moment???

Then, what is the reason we as 'potential' passengers are not held to higher standards in terms of being realistic? Do you not believe that we as travelers need not do a minimum amount of research before leaving home or even before plopping down that final payment for a cruise to know what is going on, rather we read or post to CC or not?

Most of the posts by those caught up in the situation, for whatever reason and even if they did not know about C-19 running rampant on ships and planes and in various countries they will visit or not, will justify the reason for being upset and etc... not to say the admonishments are not justified to some degree but to dodge the responsibility because they had other things to take care of before sailing and etc... is not justification, IMO.

I say, if ANYONE here on CC catches me retort similarly were I in this situation, please laugh at me and point me back to my previous postings. I do have empathy for those who are in this situation, yet often times it stops at the initial embarkation and/or how they handle the situation.

We pay so much money to NOT know during these times, what may or may not happen in terms of C-19 (or other dis-eases) and all the previous history posted about what happens aboard and at off-loading the next port is information not to be taken lightly, especially if taking a TA or UK or European sailing.

I, for one, cannot be so cavalier to dismiss the potential challenges and situations surrounding traveling at this time. And I do choose to travel, albeit with caution and I trust with enough to continue to be healthy and safe until I Am home for months from the sailings.

In health and bon voyage

Well said....and thanks for posting. While we're now "in quarantine".....my husband chose to stay with me...we knew the possibility this could happen and did do back up research. With the ever evolving and changing protocols this can be a challenge as what was in place when we left home on Apr 29 may not be the protocols today.

I'm posting my experience....on a separate thread....to share my current situation. Day 4 of quarantine and Day 3 of the cruise after I tested positive. 

While my post is on this thread I don't feel "stranded in Europe". We are making the best of the situation and seeing the British Isles from our Infinite Veranda.

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Just now, suzyluvs2cruise said:

Well said....and thanks for posting. While we're now "in quarantine" we knew the possibility this could happen and did back up research. With the ever evolving and changing protocols this can be a challenge. I'm posting my experience....on a separate thread....to share my situation. Day 4 of quarantine and Day 3 of the cruise after I tested positive. 

I did not see it, but will go back and look again...

Must be the vegan sugar I had this morning to start my day... LOL

I trust you are feeling and will continue to get better and soon.

In health and bon voyage

• Haha 1

On 5/15/2022 at 8:03 AM, bananavan said:

PERhaps the contingency plan was not put in place because as we have stated, the rules changed. 
Ask anyone who took the Edge  Transatlantic on April 22. 
I have three different sets of information sent to my stateroom  regarding testing positive on the sailing. 
The rules changed three times .
Tell us how we might have anticipated any of this. 
For those who are not in Italy, the rules are different . 
The only effective contingency plan that I can think of is to cancel before you even set sail. 
On our ship today it was announced that there is one passenger positive for covid. 
That is because the count starts at the beginning of each cruise. 
There is no mention of those of us who are in the Quarantine section. 
When we embarked we were buoyed into a confidence every morning when the Captain would state that there were no cases of Covid onboard among the passengers. Of course there were not. We had all just boarded and the passengers on the prior 5 day cruise were long gone before the infection showed up in them. 
And on Day 6 the reports started. 
You can plan all you want but lets just hope that the rules do not change again. 

Day 6?  That implies it came on board on sailing from a US port.  Not Europe anywhere.

Bo is correct.  Having a contingency plan is critical.  Don't blame lack of one on "changing" information.  The COVID itself doesn't change what one does to protect oneself.

Europe is NOT the problem.  The problem remains the US and its multitude COVID criteria, or in most cases lack of criteria.  Yesterday no-one at the Publix supermarket was masked - except for us.  THAT is the problem.  COVID variant B2 is causing increasing numbers of case, death and hospitalizations in the US.  We are just back from a TA with a similar experience: about 20 percent of those tested on board day before arrival Southampton to fly back to the US tested positive.  We tested negative as did our traveling companions 4 days later.  We masked while on board and also while ashore.

Rules will change as COVID mutates and new variants appear.  

Don't blame others.  Your safety is your responsibility.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, Ommadawn said:

As to the original poster's question, I would still fly to Canada (Vancouver or Victoria) or to Mexico (Juarez), take a taxi or an Uber to the border, walk across for which you need no negative test result, and then take a cab or an Uber to the airport in Seattle or El Paso and fly home to your city in the USA. I believe that I have stated above that this is my emergency back up plan if I absolutely must return for an emergency or some such.

Again, and infect everyone you come in contact with?  That is your "plan?"

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Day 6?  That implies it came on board on sailing from a US port.  Not Europe anywhere.

Bo is correct.  Having a contingency plan is critical.  Don't blame lack of one on "changing" information.  The COVID itself doesn't change what one does to protect oneself.

Europe is NOT the problem.  The problem remains the US and its multitude COVID criteria, or in most cases lack of criteria.  Yesterday no-one at the Publix supermarket was masked - except for us.  THAT is the problem.  COVID variant B2 is causing increasing numbers of case, death and hospitalizations in the US.  We are just back from a TA with a similar experience: about 20 percent of those tested on board day before arrival Southampton to fly back to the US tested positive.  We tested negative as did our traveling companions 4 days later.  We masked while on board and also while ashore.

Rules will change as COVID mutates and new variants appear.  

Don't blame others.  Your safety is your responsibility.

It is truly pointless to even try to explain the reality of this situation to those of you who think that our reality is incorrect.

we are in  Santorini today, so that is Greece, except we have to follow Italys rules.

Celebrity sent out a directive 

on how they were going to respond to Covid on April 22. That was the day we boarded.

None of us got that memo. 
So good luck to all of you who know better.

Your kindness will come back to you one hundredfold. 

I am done. Talk amongst yourselves. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, rachiem said:

If we all thought we should have known better no one would be cruising!

We cancelled our Caribbean one in Jan as Omnicron had just "taken off" and then cancelled the Galapagos (should be there at the moment) not so much because of the virus but more due to the expense and they were both first time experiences.

We also cancelled our May Galapagos cruise on Flora for various reasons, so do not cruise until Oct for b2b/TA.  At least that is the plan as I write this.  TBD!  

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, bananavan said:

It is truly pointless to even try to explain the reality of this situation to those of you who think that our reality is incorrect.

we are in  Santorini today, so that is Greece, except we have to follow Italys rules.

on how they were going to respond to Covid on April 22. That was the day we boarded.

I don't know if you will see this post, but here goes.

I can not tell you how truly sorry I am for you and every person whose travel plans were derailed due to Covid.  It does not matter if you had a contingency plan.  The positive test result must have been devastating, and heartbreaking coupled with varying amounts of the fear of the unknown.

Unfortunately, it appears that no matter what personal safety protocols people follow, in addition to those of different countries and ship requirements or suggestions, there remains the possibility of infection from the highly contagious variants of Omicron. 

For example,

I followed @Jim_lain live report.  He and lain followed the highest safety measures to stay safe. And

yet Jim tested positive at the end of leg 2 of a B3B. Thanks to CC and Jim's live report I decided as a solo traveler my trip to Rome and 8 night Edge cruise on May 6 was not a good idea.  Since I had the benefit of Cruise with Confidence I was able to cancel without loss of $. 

It is my hope that you and everyone who have found themselves in this situation have a support network and the necessary test results that will get you home soon.

Thank you for sharing your situation.  It helps all travelers!

Best regards,

Julie

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, Ommadawn said:

You can take a flight for 45 minutes from Canada to the US and have to test. You can ride a bus for 6 hours to cover the same distance over the same border with much less ventilation than the airplane and you don't need to test. How does that make sense?

When flying the number of contacts is far greater than car, bus. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bananavan said:

From one Punta Gordian to another…I am sorry you experienced this.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We completed a 16-day TA in late March to Southampton, traveled to Amsterdam via the Chunnel, 4 days in a hotel before flying home, testing negative the day before the flight.  We took stringent precautions during the cruise (masking when no eating), avoiding crowds as best possible (exception of one event in the theater when most were not masked, masked on the Eurostar, and while touring in/around Amsterdam.  

Most pf our fellow cruisers went maskless.  The 20 percent positive rate day prior to arriving Southampton is indicative of less than ideal protocols used by many to keep themselves free from this virus.

Europe is coming off stringent lockdowns in many countries.  The Netherlands is one.  We are looking forward to our next cruise in late June (circumnavigate Italy) and will continue to practice safe travel protocols, just as we practice safe protocols in supermarkets, stores and restaurants here in the US.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I just discovered this service.  If you test positive, this company will fly you home with no hospitalization required.

https://covacglobal.com

Crap!  

2.1.5 COVID-19 Related Limitations & Exclusions.

(ii) The Traveling Member was on a cruise ship at any time during Trip

Edited by whirlybird3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, whirlybird3 said:

I just discovered this service.  If you test positive, this company will fly you home with no hospitalization required.

https://covacglobal.com

Not sure it would work. FAQ’s indicate cruise ship passengers are not covered. Also the patient must be examined by a company designated doctor to determine if transportation is necessary to avoid hospitalisation.

On 5/15/2022 at 12:34 AM, emmas gran said:

And I just got the call that I am still testing positive. 
I am devastated. 

I am sorry you are still positive we were positive for 13 days (me) and 14 days my husband and as I have posted we are vaccinated and boostered. Thank you for posting about your horrible experience

Unfortunately, you can test for up to 90 days. 😞  Hope you are feeling better.  After 10 days of isolation, a health certificate from a MD will allow you to fly.  The airline needs both the positive test and certificate from the MD. 

Curious for those who have currently tested positive?  Is this your first time catching COVID?  I'm currently receiving from COVID and plain on sailing in Europe in September (past the 90 day mark).  Concerned about catching COVID again. 

On 5/15/2022 at 12:34 AM, emmas gran said:

And I just got the call that I am still testing positive. 
I am devastated. 

I am sorry you are still positive we were positive for 13 days (me) and 14 days my husband and as I have posted we are vaccinated and boostered. Thank you for posting about your horrible experience

3 hours ago, bananavan said:

I’m not American so hope  I’m using the correct terminology but I’m fed up of all these Monday morning quarterbacks telling you what you should and shouldn’t have done. I think you made the best decisions you could have with the knowledge that you had to hand at the time. X

• Like 12
  • Thanks 4

31 minutes ago, delondin said:

I’m not American so hope  I’m using the correct terminology but I’m fed up of all these Monday morning quarterbacks telling you what you should and shouldn’t have done. I think you made the best decisions you could have with the knowledge that you had to hand at the time. X

I totally agree and would add that after all Bananavan has endured it's hardly surprising that she is getting grumpy and testy with everyone saying should have done this, should have done that.

Whatever way you look at it the whole affair has been a mess with policy being made up on the hoof.

The truth is Celebrity could have made this a whole lot easier, it seems Banana was probably the first to test their new policy and has been a guinea pig.  She is clearly unwell with more than covid and therefore deserves to be cut a bit of slack rather than being accused of being rude.

Certainly when it comes down to it so far from the many other unfortunates in this situation none has been so difficult or drawn out.  I wish Bananavan nothing but a quick solution to all this.  Everyone of us sailing soon should put our hands together for her posting it like it is so we can make informed decisions on actual experience.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I totally agree and would add that after all Bananavan has endured it's hardly surprising that she is getting grumpy and testy with everyone saying should have done this, should have done that.

Whatever way you look at it the whole affair has been a mess with policy being made up on the hoof.

The truth is Celebrity could have made this a whole lot easier, it seems Banana was probably the first to test their new policy and has been a guinea pig.  She is clearly unwell with more than covid and therefore deserves to be cut a bit of slack rather than being accused of being rude.

Certainly when it comes down to it so far from the many other unfortunates in this situation none has been so difficult or drawn out.  I wish Bananavan nothing but a quick solution to all this.  Everyone of us sailing soon should put our hands together for her posting it like it is so we can make informed decisions on actual experience.

Hear, Hear!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 5/12/2022 at 7:26 AM, Ride-The-Waves said:

Best way to avoid COVID-19 on a cruise is to follow proper protocols to include masking, social distancing and using disinfectant/sanitizer.  

Lower your risk - yes.

Avoid COVID - not possible.

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Actually, I think the new policy worked to bananavan’s advantage. It allowed her to stay on the ship rather than be disembarked in a foreign country where she did not speak the language to be placed in a government-approved facility until who knows when with who knows what assistance.

Even if Celebrity had committed to reimburse the expenses, it is a dim prospect. The option to remain on the ship without cost for medical care or accommodations is new as of May 1, but it may better suit the needs of many. Otherwise, there is travel insurance to reimburse the cost of disembarking on one’s own.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/15/2022 at 10:17 AM, OysterD said:

It does diminish your point because even the 40% which is 'recirculated' is passed through HEPA filters, which filter out particles the size of and smaller than coronavirus.  Fresh/purified/filtered air comes in from the top of the cabin and is sucked out through vents running at floor level. Again, the whole cabin air is completely refreshed/exchanged every 2-3 mins. Breathing stale/infected air out while sat down in a seat and most of the time that air is sucked out through the vents and either filtered or exits the aircraft within seconds. 

FWIW, there is no right answer on this, I know. I recently read an article in our local newspaper (which I couldn’t find to link) that explained that the aircraft HEPA filtration system works best when the aircraft is at cruising altitude, works much less effectively during ascent and descent and isn’t working at all during boarding and disembarkation. It stated that the greatest exposures to everything on a plane happen at these times. It was suggested that window seats are a bit safer since you’re not exposed as much to breathing the air of passers by. Makes sense but I’d never heard that before.

• Thanks 1