Does anyone miss the shopping seminars

miched

We were on the Apex and there weren’t any seminars for shopping in the ports.   I asked if it was due to Covid and was told that X decided not to have them on the E class as they have many fine shops on board and don’t want to promote other shops.   

I wonder if they will adapt the same policy on the other ships as they become fully revolutionized?

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

No, I don't miss the shopping talks.  Realized many years ago that they only serve to focus you on certain merchants in the ports who paid to have their name/products mentioned.  

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, keesar said:

If you miss the shopping talks, then you must be the person that goes to the art auctions.

And, the same person goes to the :

" Look younger in 90 minutes seminar--- in the Spa ( $ 357 )" ,
" Shape up in 7 days with Julio ---in the gym ( $284 )", 

" Refresh your dancing skills with Ricardo --  ( $ 199 ),

" The art of napkin folding with Maria -- free ( Gratuities accepted )".

But, does not participate in the " Newlywed Game " , also known as " How to look like a ***** in 10 easy minutes "

( I think I been on toooo many cruises ) !!

• Haha 2

I remember our very first cruise.  We went to see this couple talk about our upcoming Western Caribbean ports.  "Best shopping in the world".  Then due to a hurricane, our Western Caribbean cruise became an Eastern Caribbean cruise.  Then our new itinerary became the new  "Best shopping in the world".  Guess what?  The same shops were generally mentioned at both.  Anyone want to guess a couple of them?  

I am the OP and I don’t miss them.  Just trying to have a different topic than same old stuff of drinks packs, gratuities and etc

It was something that I noticed and some times  if something is missing we don’t realize that it is.

I always thought it was a money maker for the ships as they got a paid promo from the shops.    There is one manager of a store that I became ‘friends’ with because of my purchase of many high end watches from him.  I asked why his shop was no longer on the shopping map and he said that he was paying $500 per ship per day and sometimes there were 7 or more ships.    He said that his customers know him and he doesn’t need to pay to be advertised.   

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 2

Woo hoo! I read this and cheered- I sat through one someplace years ago and dutifully went and got my free charm and my free this and that until I remembered that I hate shopping. I find it rather depressing to arriving in some exotic port and find The Diamond Store and the other port stores circling the port- hard to remember where you are.

But- some people enjoy the talks so it is sad that they have dropped them to encourage onboard shopping. They do rather seem a part of the cruising tradition.

Edited by 5waldos

46 minutes ago, 5waldos said:

But- some people enjoy the talks so it is sad that they have dropped them to encourage onboard shopping. They do rather seem a part of the cruising tradition.

Only if tradition only goes back about twenty years.

At one time a port talk was full of practical information such as what scams to watch out for, parts of town not to stray into, unique craft items for the port and expected price, price of taxi fares,  stores to avoid because of shady practices, sights/sites to visit, etc.

Edited by Homosassa

Well- 20 years is a while I guess. Prior to that I had not cruised. I had sailed (like nearly 50 years earlier) but never cruised. 

I do think that the earlier port talks probably were more useful but not as lucrative.