On Brilliance and Just Tested POSITIVE

My  husband and I just completed the May 9 cruise and are on the May 15 cruise.  Last night I had a nasty dry cough so called medical first thing this morning.  I tested POSITIVE and husband tested NEGATIVE.  I am very bummed as I was vaccinated and double boosted (in April).  I will be spending this entire week in quarantine.  We have been quarantined in our original stateroom for 24 hours and husband cannot leave.  He will be retested tomorrow.  I have been told I will be moved to another room but have not received any information on when or where.  I am posting to gather information as to what to expect from others that have gone through this issue.  I was told that I will be in isolation for 10 days which means I will be moving to a hotel at the end of this cruise.  We had flights and hotels booked after the cruise which will have to be cancelled and new reservations made for our flights home.  Just trying to digest this news and appreciate any advise going forward.   

• Like 1

While this really sucks for you and your husband,  you did the right thing by getting tested and I am sure  your fellow passengers as well as the crew would be grateful that you did if they knew.   I hope your symptoms remain mild and you recover quickly.  I don’t believe current guidelines require 10 days of isolation but it may depend on where you disembark. 

Sherri🙂

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

OP - sorry you aren't feeling well.  

You may want to read these threads.  The first  also includes comments from someone on another ship. 

They will provide various scenarios.  Best wishes.

On Allure Now And I Got Covid So Now What? - Page 14 - Royal Caribbean International - Cruise Critic Community

Or this.  

Edited by cruisegirl1
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, sjb317 said:

While this really sucks for you and your husband,  you did the right thing by getting tested and I am sure  your fellow passengers as well as the crew would be grateful that you did if they knew.   I hope your symptoms remain mild and you recover quickly.  I don’t believe current guidelines require 10 days of isolation but it may depend on where you disembark. 

Sherri🙂

Ten does seem long.  Our recent advise was 5 days as long as there is no fever, or  once  the fever subsides, which ever is greater. 

M

7 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Ten does seem long.  Our recent advise was 5 days as long as there is no fever, or  once  the fever subsides, which ever is greater. 

M

In Italy (where brilliance is based) you must isolate for 7 days if your most recent vaccine dose was within last 120 days, or 10 days if it was longer than 120 days.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The doctor came to our room and I need to be tested on days 5, 6, and 7. They are moving me to isolation after a staff member comes and answers all of our questions. This could take some time based on the speed things are happening.

Thanks for all the replies, but I am looking for constructive suggestions. I prefer not to hear from people who suggest I should not have reported.

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

One piece of advice (judging from others similar threads): Be prepared to possibly wait a long time for food.  One poster in particular had issues with at least one meal arriving after 2-3 hours.  So order your meals early!

Also find out all of your food options...MDR, specialty restaurants, etc.

Edited by time4u2go
  • Like 2

I am very sorry to hear this as it must be so disappointing for you and unsettling to have all your plans upset.  I don't have advice, just good wishes and appreciation for the fact that you are posting as I have been wondering what would happen if I tested positive on my cruise on the Brilliance later this summer.

• Like 1

Experience will vary by ship and individual. Make sure you get a printed copy of your test result with the date and your name on it. You may need that for insurance reasons later on. Keep a diary of your phone conversations regarding logistics. You may need to advocate for yourself health wise if you start to feel worse. That seems to vary a lot by ship, some reports of daily checks, some have no follow up once you are in quarantine. Enjoy the free movies. You can order from the main dining room, not just the room service menu. You may need to call housekeeping for towels, tissues, red garbage bags. Make sure you exercise and move around and stay hydrated. I hope you have an uneventful recovery. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, 1947wwjd said:

The doctor came to our room and I need to be tested on days 5, 6, and 7. They are moving me to isolation after a staff member comes and answers all of our questions. This could take some time based on the speed things are happening.

Thanks for all the replies, but I am looking for constructive suggestions. I prefer not to hear from people who suggest I should not have reported.

See if Husband will Make a quick trip to windjammer to get some silverware and a glass and coffee cup for you to pack to take to isolation Room.  You can rinse them with hot water from your sink 

Edit:

get doubles of everything in case he ends up joining you

Edited by ocean sounds
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

I'm in isolation now.  It is 5:45 pm and no printed dinner menu’s.  Ido not have a phone to use the QR code.  Called twice.  Protocols in Italy require that I test negative on day 5, 6, 7.  Unfortunately, day 7 is the day after my cruise ends.  I am told on day 7 I will be taken to an “approved” Italian covid facility of which there are 3.  Complimentary transportation will be provided.  My husband will have to fend for himself and find a hotel.

I did manage to smuggle some silverware and a coffee cup.  Thanks for suggesting.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, 1947wwjd said:

I'm in isolation now.  It is 5:45 pm and no printed dinner menu’s.  Ido not have a phone to use the QR code.  Called twice.  Protocols in Italy require that I test negative on day 5, 6, 7.  Unfortunately, day 7 is the day after my cruise ends.  I am told on day 7 I will be taken to an “approved” Italian covid facility of which there are 3.  Complimentary transportation will be provided.  My husband will have to fend for himself and find a hotel.

I did manage to smuggle some silverware and a coffee cup.  Thanks for suggesting.

You don't have a cell phone with you? Have your husband call you on the cabin phone to tell you the MDR choices. I had no paper menu in quarantine, just called on the phone. That was the one thing I had no complaints about. 

• Like 2

I just wanted to offer my empathy and also thank you for doing the ethical thing to keep the crew and fellow passengers safe. I am so sorry your vacation is resulting in isolation, and hope it goes as smoothly as possible.

• Like 12

Call Guest services if room service doesn’t answer. 

tell them you are a guest in isolation and need to order meals. 
you should be able to order from MDR, they should be able to read the options to you. 

one poster had to get firm with Guest Service and Room Service to get meals.   They then started proactively calling her to get her order.  

Good luck, and I hope you are feeling better,.   That’s interesting that there are 3 approved quarantine locations.   If able, update us on how it goes. 

take care.

Edited by ocean sounds
  • Like 2

Your husband should be able to stay in your isolation hotel after you disembark the ship.    Hopefully he remains negative.       What are the protocols for him?      

The other Allure thread the person's husband had to get tested every day, wear a mask outside of his cabin at all times as well as eat his meals in the cabin.   He ended up testing positive 5 days later.    

I wish you the best in quarantine and hope your symptoms remain mild and you are able to get prompt delivery of room service and anything else you may need.    

Good luck to you. I hope your symptoms don’t worsen. I’m sure that it must be scary worrying about being stuck in Italy. Their protocol of needing to test negative on day 7 when you’re already positive now sounds confusing—because you can, and in many cases will, still “test positive” even when you’re no longer contagious. That’s why you can provide a certificate of recovery to RCCL for 90 days after being positive because many still test positive for that long even though you wouldn’t be contagious after day 10 (or whatever the current guideline is). Are you sure that your husband just doesn’t need to test negative on days 5, 6, and 7? That’s pretty standard—should show up by day 5, if not by day 7, you’re in the clear. Again, I’m only going by US CDC guidelines and have no clue about Italy. It just doesn’t seem likely that they expect someone who is positive to suddenly test negative by day 7.

My husband will be tested tomorrow at10 am.  Dr. Said he can leave the cabin but wear a mask.  The letter I received states that he is not allowed to be with me in the approved covid  hotel and will need to find his own accommodations.

l did order dinner and it came within an hour.  Went to take a shower and NO HOT WATER.  Called maintenance and they said someone will get it working.

Also found out 2 people from the May 6 cruise are also in quarantine.

This is going to be a long week and will be a real test of my patience .

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 1947wwjd said:

I did order dinner and it came within an hour.  Went to take a shower and NO HOT WATER.  Called maintenance and they said someone will get it working.

Also found out 2 people from the May 6 cruise are also in quarantine.

This is going to be a long week and will be a real test of my patience .

Hope your husband’s test is negative.

glad your dinner arrived!

some ships are giving free stateroom movies to those in isolation.

hope you stay well, and find things to keep you busy.  Do you have a balcony or a window? 

they should move you to a room with working hot water!

Edited by ocean sounds

I am interested in your experiences in quarantine. My family is scheduled on the Brilliance in a few weeks. We are vaccinated, but none of us have been diagnosed with Covid.

I would also like to know if you have a window and movies in quarantine. Please continue posting if you are able.

My sister-in-law (vaccinated once boosted) was positive even on antigen tests for over two weeks with (probably) Omicron.

Hope you have a lighter case and you're negative soon.

Wishing you patience, hot water, and quick meals.

Edited by twins_to_alaska
  • Like 1

To answer some questions, I am in a room on deck 3 with a porthole.  No balcony.  This is a 20 year old ship so my movie selection is non existent.  I scroll through the channels but other than news shows there is minimal entertainment.  

I have mild symptoms.  My cough is dissipating.  Only had one cough drop and no cough syrup and was able to sleep.  Turned in at 10 pm and am wide awake at 1:15 am.  Only other symptom is an occasional sniffle.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, 1947wwjd said:

To answer some questions, I am in a room on deck 3 with a porthole.  No balcony.  This is a 20 year old ship so my movie selection is non existent.  I scroll through the channels but other than news shows there is minimal entertainment.  

I have mild symptoms.  My cough is dissipating.  Only had one cough drop and no cough syrup and was able to sleep.  Turned in at 10 pm and am wide awake at 1:15 am.  Only other symptom is an occasional sniffle.

Fingers crossed you test negative soon and time in isolation passes quickly.  If you have not already, you may want to get an official copy of the first positive test.  I don't know where home is for you. But should you find you need a document of recovery the date on that initial positive test is important.     

• Like 1

I'm so sorry you are going through this, but glad you are feeling better. Is your husband still well? I hope so.

We are going to be on this ship in just a few weeks. 

May I ask, what kind of cabin did you have before being moved to the deck 3 porthole? Is your husband still in the original cabin? It seems to me that  separating family members would just make this Covid experience more difficult. But I guess if he can avoid such strict isolation measures, that would be a good thing.

Thank you for sharing your experience. Best wishes to you. I know this isn't the vacation experience you dreamed of, but glad to hear that you both are doing Ok.