Question from a potential first time Oceania cruiser.

Stockjock

I've cruised on most of the better-known lines, but not Oceania.  In a couple of years, my GF turns 60.  Also, we will have been dating for 10 years at that point, so I'm considering taking her on an Oceania cruise as a birthday present.  When she turned 50, I took her on a 4 night Princess cruise out of L.A., so this would be a big step up from that.  The ship is Sirena, for what it's worth.

The promotion I'm looking at includes $400 spending cash (from Oceania), or House Select Drink Package, which I think includes wine and beer at dinner.  As I understand it, I can switch to a full drink package for $20 per person per day, so correct me if I'm wrong.  Additionally, I get $300 in credit when booking with my Amex Platinum and I think the TA may throw in a small amount too.

So which is the best option:

1. Take the roughly $800 OBC and buy a drinks package.

2. Take the House Select drinks package and use the remaining $400 OBC to upgrade that to a full drink package.

I'm looking at an oceanview room.  I much prefer a balcony, but the pricing seems much better on OV.

I'm also open to any other thoughts or suggestions since Oceania would be new to me.  Thank you in advance.

Edited by Stockjock

23 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

I've cruised on most of the better-known lines, but not Oceania.  In a couple of years, my GF turns 60.  Also, we will have been dating for 10 years at that point, so I'm considering taking her on an Oceania cruise as a birthday present.  When she turned 50, I took her on a 4 night Princess cruise out of L.A., so this would be a big step up from that.  The ship is Sirena, for what it's worth.

The promotion I'm looking at includes $400 spending cash (from Oceania), or House Select Drink Package, which I think includes wine and beer at dinner.  As I understand it, I can switch to a full drink package for $20 per person per day, so correct me if I'm wrong.  Additionally, I get $300 in credit when booking with my Amex Platinum and I think the TA may throw in a small amount too.

So which is the best option:

1. Take the roughly $800 OBC and buy a drinks package.

2. Take the House Select drinks package and use the remaining $400 OBC to upgrade that to a full drink package.

I'm looking at an oceanview room.  I much prefer a balcony, but the pricing seems much better on OV.

I'm also open to any other thoughts or suggestions since Oceania would be new to me.  Thank you in advance.

Never take the O Life SBC. It’s a wash with what you paid for in the O Life fare.

Most here will agree that, unless you drink enough to make the booze package (which is upgradeable to unlimited Prestige for $20 pp/day) worthwhile, excursions option is the best value since allowable tours can be up to $199 each thus doubling the $100 SBC equivalent if you choose the right tours (also adding to the minimum required on your cruise to get 25% off in added ones you want/need to purchase.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Or take the cruise-only fare, which will be $400 pp less than the O Life fare you've been looking at.  You are still free to buy O shore excursions if you want, and if you buy enough of them they will all be 25% off the posted prices – but you are also free to DIY or join roll call private excursions.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

I will say this.  Both of us are drinkers.  Not alcoholics, but we can go through some drinks.  So I was thinking that it would be nice to have that end covered.

Even with the prestige package at $20 pp over the O Life basic perk, the wine is by-the-glass from a limited list of mostly mediocre choices. FWIW: O does not limit BYOB though spirits must be consumed only in cabin and wine has a $25/bottle (including gratuity) corkage charge if you want it outside the cabin at meals or in public spaces (they’ll store/retrieve unfinished bottles as needed.

Your Cruise may also have a “7 bottle package” available at approx $45 per bottle + gratuity. Except for occasional good wines, they’re mostly US retail $10-15 bottles. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

I will say this.  Both of us are drinkers.  Not alcoholics, but we can go through some drinks.  So I was thinking that it would be nice to have that end covered.

Some things to keep in mind:

You need to each drink about 4 cocktails a day at full price to break even.  If you have wine, glasses are marginally cheaper than cocktails, but the packages do not include upgraded wines.

There are daily 2 4 1 happy hours in the lounges daily from 5 to 6 pm.

There is usually a Captain's reception during which drinks are free.

We go through the calculations and find for us that our bar bill is typically cheaper than the packages.

Convenience of the packages is one thing folks like, but that is not important to u.

So our experience may not represent yours, but I offer it for thought.

• Like 1

Hello Stockjock and welcome to the Oceania board.  Here is something to consider with the Premium Beverage Package:  There are sometimes wine, bourbon, etc. tasting events offered during cruises.  Pre-pandemic these events carried an approximate charge of $75 pp.  If I am not mistaken (and someone will promptly correct me if I am), these events are included in the premium package.  Only you know what appeals.  Enjoy the searching and planning.

Katie

• Like 1

If you are drinkers  & might have more than 4-5  beverages  a day

Take the O Llife Beverage package & upgrade onboard

The House select is wine by the glass & beer  at Lunch & dinner

Or take the cruise only fare no air  & buy the Premium beverage package  $60 pp pd

Do the math  & then decide

there are some menus on The Preismans blog that give you an idea of the cost  of drinks  if bought individually add 20% gratuity

https://www.thepreismans.com/riviera_21_menus.htm#beverage

• Like 1

What are Oceania excursions like?  Average priced?  Expensive?  Something really special or not?

This cruise would be a 7-day out of Miami.  We have been to most or all of the ports before, FWIW.

11 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

What are Oceania excursions like?  Average priced?  Expensive?  Something really special or not?

This cruise would be a 7-day out of Miami.  We have been to most or all of the ports before, FWIW.

if it is  a caribbean cruise & you have been to the ports before  I would just do your own thing 

JMO

• Like 3

O tours are way over priced by 100%+       Take the  cruise only fare.      You can sign up on the ship for the drinks any time  during the cruise.     This means  you can test the waters  so to speak.... see what your really drink  and then decide based on the reality of  experience.      Buy it 1-2-3-4 days later at 60 a day....   Ocean view cabing are the smallest cabins.... I think smaller than insides  and  have obstructed views.....unless you loke seeing the top of lifeboats.       Go ala carte till you  get the feel of the ship... no need to pay in advance.    Keep your dough till needed.

flat,750x1000,075,f.jpg

31 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

O tours are way over priced by 100%+       Take the  cruise only fare.      You can sign up on the ship for the drinks any time  during the cruise.     This means  you can test the waters  so to speak.... see what your really drink  and then decide based on the reality of  experience.      Buy it 1-2-3-4 days later at 60 a day....   Ocean view cabing are the smallest cabins.... I think smaller than insides  and  have obstructed views.....unless you loke seeing the top of lifeboats.       Go ala carte till you  get the feel of the ship... no need to pay in advance.    Keep your dough till needed.

flat,750x1000,075,f.jpg

Hawaiidan, I believe that you are mistaken about the ocean view cabins on Sirena and the other R class ships and are confusing them with the old E obstructed view cabins on deck 6. The oceanview cabins are on deck 4 with a large window or deck 3 with a porthole.  The obstructed view cabins (old E class) are being converted to solo cabins on the R ships. The coeanview cabins are the same size as the verandah cabins and concierge verandah cabins minus the verandahs.  If a balcony is not important to someone, the oceanview on deck 4 are great.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

Ocean view cabing are the smallest cabins.... I think smaller than insides  and  have obstructed views.....unless you loke seeing the top of lifeboats.      

R-ships

Oceanview cabins = 165 sq ft

insides = 160 sq ft

Obstructed view  E category  new S category =143 sq ft  for solo cruisers

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KatieBelle said:

There are sometimes wine, bourbon, etc. tasting events offered during cruises.  Pre-pandemic these events carried an approximate charge of $75 pp.  If I am not mistaken (and someone will promptly correct me if I am), these events are included in the premium package. 

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that is not the case these days - although I surely wish it were! I purchased the premium package on my Feb cruise, and also did one of the French wine tastings - paid the full price of $75. But I had a great time, and thought it was worth the money. 

Edited by samiam0403

28 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

R-ships

Oceanview cabins = 165 sq ft

insides = 160 sq ft

Obstructed view  E category  new S category =143 sq ft  for solo cruisers

good to know...did not know about those conversions....  Thanks.......

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stockjock said:

8 hours ago, 1985rz1 said:

..You need to each drink about 4 cocktails a day at full price to break even..

Search here on CC for my comprehensive posts on O tours, YWYW etc. The right mix of the most expensive allowable O Life tours (you can double the value of the initial perk) plus enough additional paid tours to meet the total minimum tours for the YWYW 25% discount on the paid ones may give you a very pleasant “bottom line”  cost. And you can also do some third party tours alone or with others posting here.

If one orders  “well swill” singles, that 4 drink comment would be correct.
But if you have “doubles” which makes the stingy single spirits pour more reasonable and you specify a good booze (or two -as in a true versions of great cocktail), it would only take a couple of “retail” cocktails plus tip to break even on the package. 
For example: instead of brandy and triple sec plus citrus mix for a “side car,” specify a double with Hennessy VSOP cognac, Cointreau and fresh lime juice. That’s included in the Prestige package.

But, the cheap unimpressive wines included in the basic/prestige packages do little for me. I prefer to BYO, pay the corkage and replenish along the route. And I always check the “7 bottle”  deal wines since there’s the occasional “loss leader” worth buying it for all seven bottles.

Finally, remember that O has an ever-changing “bin end list” with some stuff discounted +\- 1/3 discount. I immediately get the bin end list when I first get on the ship for a cruise.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Stockjock said:

In a couple of years, my GF turns 60.  Also, we will have been dating for 10 years at that point, so I'm considering taking her on an Oceania cruise as a birthday present. 

I'm also open to any other thoughts or suggestions since Oceania would be new to me.

Dang!!!  It's been 10 years!!!  Take the cruise simply because you'll both enjoy it and bring an engagement ring as the birthday present!!!

Just a "thought or suggestion"... 😅

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

51 minutes ago, Cliff-FLL said:

Dang!!!  It's been 10 years!!!  Take the cruise simply because you'll both enjoy it and bring an engagement ring as the birthday present!!!

Just a "thought or suggestion"... 😅

I've never had an interest in marriage, but remember, I'm the guy who splits up the money when things go south.  As for the GF, she's been married before and said, "Been there, done that".

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

For the OP. Buying wine ashore in the Carribean is often not a good practice. Most available wines in the stores are very inexpensive South American wines. They have been transported and stored on shelves in excessive heat for often long periods of time. I don’t recommend local procurement of wine. Rum, if you like it, is a different story. For wine, on your cruise, the best option is to shop in Miami before departure.

I haven’t yet sailed Oceania since their restart. Keep getting cruises cancelled. I have heard various remarks about then current wines on the bin end list. Several revolving around the conclusion that they were purchased long before the pandemic shutdown, had been stored in unknown conditions during the shutdown, with some being well beyond their prime. Since my upcoming next cruise is on a ship back in operation for less than a year, I have doubts of finding any actual deals with the bin ends. Maybe by 2024, when everything can recycle .

For short 7 day cruises, such as yours, which are typically port intensive, one must realize they may largely be off the ship during lunch. That means the basic package is only applicable at dinner. Depending upon dining venue, ( read Jazzcruz’s comments on his January cruise) sometimes getting more than one glass of wine at dinner can be challenging. This is especially true at the Buffet where even getting one can be tough. 

Oceania’s shorex are grossly overpriced and I only recommend them for ports with limited supporting infrastructure. In the Carribean, we’d be doing all Roll Call or DIY shore tours.

On your cruise, not necessarily for all cruises because of the multitude variables, I’d recommend the cruise only fare.

On 5/16/2022 at 11:29 AM, Stockjock said:

I'm also new to O, recently completed our first 18 night sailing on Regatta.  Loved it.

As for the drinks question, I hold a view which seems contrary to many, although not a substantial drinker I upgraded to the premier drink package and have no regrets having done so.  

I basically never drank anything that wasn't (excepting a single glass of wine in Polo Grill one evening) in the package, so my total cost was known going in.  I enjoyed trying every single wine offered by the glass and while, yes, I agree they are not premium bottles, I found both a red and a white that I enjoyed very much - and settled in on for the rest of the cruise.  Likewise, I tried cocktails that didn't appeal to me, but that sounded interesting, with no guilt moving on to something else.  I probably didn't get much above break even in terms of average daily drink count but I certainly didn't "lose" money on the deal.

An oddity on Regatta was the late opening of bars.  I like a morning bloody mary and could only find one after 9AM at the pool bar, I found it strange that none of the deck 5 bars could offer an eye opener until close to noon.  The bloody mary produced by Julian however was fantastic and worth the trek 15 out or 18 mornings.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, jondfk said:

I'm also new to O, recently completed our first 18 night sailing on Regatta.  Loved it.

As for the drinks question, I hold a view which seems contrary to many, although not a substantial drinker I upgraded to the premier drink package and have no regrets having done so.  

I basically never drank anything that wasn't (excepting a single glass of wine in Polo Grill one evening) in the package, so my total cost was known going in.  I enjoyed trying every single wine offered by the glass and while, yes, I agree they are not premium bottles, I found both a red and a white that I enjoyed very much - and settled in on for the rest of the cruise.  Likewise, I tried cocktails that didn't appeal to me, but that sounded interesting, with no guilt moving on to something else.  I probably didn't get much above break even in terms of average daily drink count but I certainly didn't "lose" money on the deal.

An oddity on Regatta was the late opening of bars.  I like a morning bloody mary and could only find one after 9AM at the pool bar, I found it strange that none of the deck 5 bars could offer an eye opener until close to noon.  The bloody mary produced by Julian however was fantastic and worth the trek 15 out or 18 mornings.  

25 minutes ago, jondfk said:

The bloody mary produced by Julian however was fantastic and worth the trek 15 out or 18 mornings.  

The bloody mary produced by Julian however was fantastic and worth the trek 15 out or 18 mornings.  

Sorry about my mistake in posting above. My husband's name is Julian and I don't think he was recently on Regatta, but without question (just ask anybody who's had one) he makes the world's best Bloody Mary. Hands down.

• Haha 1

On 5/16/2022 at 10:30 AM, Flatbush Flyer said:

Never take the O Life SBC. It’s a wash with what you paid for in the O Life fare.

Most here will agree that, unless you drink enough to make the booze package (which is upgradeable to unlimited Prestige for $20 pp/day) worthwhile, excursions option is the best value since allowable tours can be up to $199 each thus doubling the $100 SBC equivalent if you choose the right tours (also adding to the minimum required on your cruise to get 25% off in added ones you want/need to purchase.

I have one of the few, but valid, dissenting views regarding the OBC/SBC. Yes, you pay more upfront and O is giving it back to you as a non-refundable credit once onboard; but...if you know you're going to spend it on drinks, wine, shorex, La Reserve (Marina or Riviera), shopping, whatever...then I still say it's really nice not facing a huge bill at the end of the cruise. We've done three O cruises, have done the OBC each time, and have never regretted it. Next one, in 2024, I think we're doing cruise only with the O Life OBC.