Positano/Amalfi Coast Excursions

CanuckCruisers

Hello,

Oceania newbies here . . There are 4 of us taking our 1st Oceania cruise (Riviera) in August of this year and we can’t wait!!

Been looking at the shore excursions and we’re hoping to purchase one in Amalfi.   When I chose this tour Positano and Amalfi

the message said “this excursion is closed - if available please select another time”.  Does this mean the tour is sold out or maybe cancelled by Oceania?  Unfortunately it doesn’t allow another time frame to choose . . So I chose another for Amalfi/Sorrento and same message pops up.  We really wanted take a tour here as we’ve not been here before and wanted to see this port and all it has to offer!  We’ve been on quite a few cruises however, not in the Mediterranean.  Any help/suggestions would be appreciated 😊

1 minute ago, CanuckCruisers said:

Hello,

Oceania newbies here . . There are 4 of us taking our 1st Oceania cruise (Riviera) in August of this year and we can’t wait!!

Been looking at the shore excursions and we’re hoping to purchase one in Amalfi.   When I chose this tour Positano and Amalfi

the message said “this excursion is closed - if available please select another time”.  Does this mean the tour is sold out or maybe cancelled by Oceania?  Unfortunately it doesn’t allow another time frame to choose . . So I chose another for Amalfi/Sorrento and same message pops up.  We really wanted take a tour here as we’ve not been here before and wanted to see this port and all it has to offer!  We’ve been on quite a few cruises however, not in the Mediterranean.  Any help/suggestions would be appreciated 😊

You’re a touch late to be buying a popular O excursion for August. Usually it means “sold out.” You can call O and be put on a waiting list. BTW, I haven’t heard of issues with that nearby port (though tour outfits could also cause a tour to be cancelled (but, unless the O destination services folks have not yet gotten to it, cancelled tours usually disappear from the website and you eventually get $ credit for it. 

• Thanks 1

We are on Riviera in June and traveling close to that area.  Unless you are going for a package of O tours, have you considered Tours by Locals or Shore Excursions Group?  Both of these companies have the ability to look up your cruise, and can look at offerings for all of your port stops.  We are using both of these for the majority of our excursions.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, CanuckCruisers said:

Thanks everyone!  I’ll look up the suggestions and see what we can come up with. Appreciate the help!

Just another note - you may find private tours with some of these companies comparable in price to the larger group excursions.  The difference is you would have a more personable experience, and cars or small vans can maneuver through traffic much faster than large busses.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, CanuckCruisers said:

Thanks everyone!  I’ll look up the suggestions and see what we can come up with. Appreciate the help!

contact Carmine Foggia.......  he is they guy in Amalfi  who Rick Steves picked to show him.   If you view his ( Steves) shoe on Amalfi   your will see and hear.      I was on your August cruise and cancelled the dates your in...   ( moved to 2023)      for 4  the  tour with lunch included was  about $500.     cheaper than  tours by locals because I did him direct   so no comission  paid to Tours by locals.    

• Thanks 1

Thank you Hawaiidan!  I will definitely look into this!

ps . . I saw on the roll call that you had cancelled.  Was actually looking forward to maybe meeting you and getting tips on this cruise!

Edited by CanuckCruisers

I had the same question as the OP.  I am also on this cruise.  I am going with seasoned travelers who are traveling to Positano for the day with me and other friends that are going.  I'm really looking forward to it.

11 hours ago, CanuckCruisers said:

Thank you Hawaiidan!  I will definitely look into this!

ps . . I saw on the roll call that you had cancelled.  Was actually looking forward to maybe meeting you and getting tips on this cruise!

Thanks.............for me too much hassle in Spain and Italy to give  me any enjoyment and spending 5 figures doing so !   

Sorry to have missed you.....I might have learned from you!   

Carmine is he guy................ try to avoid tours by locals ..    you will save 20-25%   Been traveling to Europe since 1976 .....  Friends in Italy, Switzerland, Austria, UK and France...............speaking French and German  helps  I find....  bone up  on some  basics..  english is spoken everywhere.... but the local lingo  connects you with people and get you a way better experience.      

We recently had an Oceania shore tour cancelled on our October cruise. 

We primarily do private tours, and don’t pay Oceania’s exorbitant prices. The Roll Call is an excellent place to look for tours that might interest you. I often “ captain “ such tours and try to enlist fellow passengers.

That said, I can tell you the world has changed since 3/20! Fairly significantly sized operators are now out of business. Websites are now defunct, and no inquiries are returned. Emails go unanswered. I’ve found this true in both Europe and S. America. I’ve seen major wineries go under due to a host of issues including just not being able to get their products to market.

Two years after this virus was released upon us, I still have acquaintances that won’t attend any functions, nor allow people into their homes. They have become reclusive hermits. One tour operator told me he had guides that had quit because they wouldn’t interact with even small groups that may be infected.

So long story short, I’m sure Oceania is facing multiple difficulties trying to put together tours, especially for larger groups. Cruisers are now the tail of this dog. They are the ones being waged, where in the past it might have been vise versus.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pinotlover said:

We recently had an Oceania shore tour cancelled on our October cruise. 

We primarily do private tours, and don’t pay Oceania’s exorbitant prices. The Roll Call is an excellent place to look for tours that might interest you. I often “ captain “ such tours and try to enlist fellow passengers.

That said, I can tell you the world has changed since 3/20! Fairly significantly sized operators are now out of business. Websites are now defunct, and no inquiries are returned. Emails go unanswered. I’ve found this true in both Europe and S. America. I’ve seen major wineries go under due to a host of issues including just not being able to get their products to market.

Two years after this virus was released upon us, I still have acquaintances that won’t attend any functions, nor allow people into their homes. They have become reclusive hermits. One tour operator told me he had guides that had quit because they wouldn’t interact with even small groups that may be infected.

So long story short, I’m sure Oceania is facing multiple difficulties trying to put together tours, especially for larger groups. Cruisers are now the tail of this dog. They are the ones being waged, where in the past it might have been vise versus.

Yes that’s really too bad!  Our last cruise was February 2020 and we made it back home just in time!  I guess we should be happy we get to go even with restrictions.  Really looking forward to this trip and sailing on the Riviera!  Hubby can’t wait for Oceania’s food to try out . . He’s definitely a “foodie” lol . . 

5 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

Thanks.............for me too much hassle in Spain and Italy to give  me any enjoyment and spending 5 figures doing so !   

Sorry to have missed you.....I might have learned from you!   

Carmine is he guy................ try to avoid tours by locals ..    you will save 20-25%   Been traveling to Europe since 1976 .....  Friends in Italy, Switzerland, Austria, UK and France...............speaking French and German  helps  I find....  bone up  on some  basics..  english is spoken everywhere.... but the local lingo  connects you with people and get you a way better experience.      

I’ve started to research Carmine.  Wow he has quite a website offering his tours!  I will also look at the roll call . . Last time I checked over there it wasn’t to active but  I’ll check it out!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Two years after this virus was released upon us, I still have acquaintances that won’t attend any functions, nor allow people into their homes. They have become reclusive hermits. 

Don't make that sound so bad.  When tourists disappeared from Hawaii after Covid hit, we looked around and found a quieter, obviously less crowded and more peaceful place - and we liked it.  We decided to spend more time privately at home rather than out and about - and we liked it.  Our stress levels have certainly gone down.  If that makes us reclusive hermits, so be it.    

20 minutes ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

Don't make that sound so bad.  When tourists disappeared from Hawaii after Covid hit, we looked around and found a quieter, obviously less crowded and more peaceful place - and we liked it.  We decided to spend more time privately at home rather than out and about - and we liked it.  Our stress levels have certainly gone down.  If that makes us reclusive hermits, so be it.    

My sister lives in Hawaii on Oahu, and has for 30+ years.She started out supporting your cause until business after business went under and people lost their livelihoods. Too many of those people were her friends . 

“ Let them eat cake!”  Didn’t turn out well for the last person that declared it openly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, pinotlover said:

My sister lives in Hawaii on Oahu, and has for 30+ years.She started out supporting your cause until business after business went under and people lost their livelihoods. Too many of those people were her friends . 

“ Let them eat cake!”  Didn’t turn out well for the last person that declared it openly.

What "cause"?  We just noted how a change in lifestyle worked for us.  Heck, everyone has had some change in lifestyle since Covid.

• Like 4

Just a note about Positano.  If you are on a large group excursion that uses a bus, you will not be able to actually drive down into the cliffside town.  Those large group tours generally stop along the road (Amalfi Drive) so folks can take pictures of Positano (which lies below) and then they move on to the next site.  So if you truly want to experience Positano, walk in the narrow streets, browse the shops, etc. you should either book a very small group tour or just go on your own.   Another hint if that if a tour/excursion description says "you will see Positano"  that is often what they mean.  Yes, you will see it from a distance.

Hank

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Just a note about Positano.  If you are on a large group excursion that uses a bus, you will not be able to actually drive down into the cliffside town.  Those large group tours generally stop along the road (Amalfi Drive) so folks can take pictures of Positano (which lies below) and then they move on to the next site.  So if you truly want to experience Positano, walk in the narrow streets, browse the shops, etc. you should either book a very small group tour or just go on your own.   Another hint if that if a tour/excursion description says "you will see Positano"  that is often what they mean.  Yes, you will see it from a distance.

Hank

Important part of this is “ down into the cliff side town”. It means they must walk back up that cliff!  

Many of Oceania’s shorex are drive byes for those that can’t walk any distance. Proper interpretation of the buzzwords, as you graciously noted, is important in selecting one’s proper tour.

Positano is a lovely town indeed.

1 minute ago, pinotlover said:

Important part of this is “ down into the cliff side town”. It means they must walk back up that cliff!  

Many of Oceania’s shorex are drive byes for those that can’t walk any distance. Proper interpretation of the buzzwords, as you graciously noted, is important in selecting one’s proper tour.

You can get a private tour   even for 2  cheaper than an   0 tour...... all it takes is a bit of research and reading........

2 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

You can get a private tour   even for 2  cheaper than an   0 tour...... all it takes is a bit of research and reading........

That’s what the Roll Calls facilitate. Too many of them seem to be very inactive. 

4 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Not always true.  A car or small van can drive down into Positano and there is even parking (some lots and street parking) if one gets lucky enough to find a spot.  If you are driven pretty far down into town the walking is not too difficult although there are always slops and steps unless one is simply walking the lowest part of town adjacent to the sea.  We have sometimes spend a few days in the area (usually stay in Praiano) and will then take the regional "Orange" bus which is about the only bus allowed down into town.  I do not like to drive into Positano because paid parking is very expensive and finding lower cost street parking requires somewhat of a miracle.    One other tip for those planning to tour this area.  Look for a tour that takes you to Ravello!  In fact, if you are booking a small private tour that does not include Ravello you might want to ask the tour provider to modify the itinerary and include a visit to this picturesque hilltop town.

Hank

• Like 1

3 hours ago, roberts2005 said:

Our Oceania cruise in October docks in Salerno.  The internet is showing a ferry to Amalfi.  If it is running we will take it.

Your missing the drive which is  one of the great drives. Thats one of the main reasons to go  to Amalfi  is getting there by road............ ferry will  eat up a lot of time   Too much so.for me.....     Carmine  who I mentioned does pick ups all over..........   

Many of the tours can set up will pick up in Salerno, Naples, Amalfi.   its a small regional area and tours all run from flexible

• Like 1