Question about shorts in the MDR

2 hours ago, pcur said:

OK, to be perfectly honest:

I was taken aback by the guy in the Diamond Lounge wearing these:

Image 1 - Vintage 1970s Champion Blue Bar Nylon Athletic Shorts Waist 28-34 Unlined

He looked like he was wearing his underwear at first glance.

This is nothing compared to the shorts in the 70s and 80s.   

• Like 1

Since the pandemic started, I have lived in Lululemon, and I intend to live in Lululemon to the extent possible on the cruise.  I will be wearing athletic shorts that have built-in underwear.  My mother has some nicely strung pearls if anyone needs something to clutch.

1 hour ago, bucfan2 said:

Laughing by yourself certainly looks sillier than what someone chooses to wear. 

I don't laugh at people because of what they choose to wear. I laugh at supposed adults that can't follow even the simplest of rules. It's like watching toddlers in adult bodies. Hilarious.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Computer Nerd said:

I laugh at supposed adults that can't follow even the simplest of rules.

If it were a rule, then they would be turned away from the MDR.

And there is no such rule.

Edited by baelor
  • Haha 1

Just now, baelor said:

If it were a rule, then they would be turned away from the MDR.

No, they stopped turning people away and closing the doors after 15 minutes because people that can't follow rules started pulling their tips. When tips are no longer voluntary, then you will see cruise lines start enforcing their rules again.

• Haha 3

Just now, Computer Nerd said:

No, they stopped turning people away and closing the doors after 15 minutes because people that can't follow rules started pulling their tips. When tips are no longer voluntary, then you will see cruise lines start enforcing their rules again.

Except there is no such rule.  RCI nowhere states that you cannot wear shorts to the MDR.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, baelor said:

Except there is no such rule.  RCI nowhere states that you cannot wear shorts to the MDR.  

I could post the dress code again which states shorts are fine for breakfast and lunch, but like the others, you would probably just question the meaning of the word "and" or "but" or whatever so what's the point. The fact is, there is a dress code if you cared enough to look it up on the Royal site instead of spreading false facts.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, lovrccl said:

Wow glad I read this before our next Royal cruise. We usually cruise Celebrity and we always dress up. Guess we don't have to do that on Royal anymore.

Nah, guess you don't have to. According to some here you can jut put on your cleanest tighty whities and a pressed wife beater and you'll be just fine for formal night because the dress code doesn't specifically forbid wearing tighty whities with a wife beater.

Edited by Computer Nerd
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Computer Nerd said:

I could post the dress code again which states shorts are fine for breakfast and lunch, but like the others, you would probably just question the meaning of the word "and" or "but" or whatever so what's the point. The fact is, there is a dress code if you cared enough to look it up on the Royal site instead of spreading false facts.

I linked to RCI's website.

Here is the link again.

The only requirement is here:

Main Dining Room/Specialty Dining Venues

• Bare feet are not allowed at any time in any venue and tank tops are not permitted in the Main Dining Room or Specialty Dining venues for dinner.

The website says absolutely nothing about shorts not being allowed in the MDR.  Nor does it say anything more than particular types of attire are "suggested."

Read the link instead of bizarrely accusing me of spreading "false facts" that are nothing more than quotations from RCI's website.

Edited by baelor
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, baelor said:

I linked to RCI's website.

Here is the link again.

The only requirement is here:

• Bare feet are not allowed at any time in any venue and tank tops are not permitted in the Main Dining Room or Specialty Dining venues for dinner.

You only missed about another 10 lines but whatever. You wear what you want, I'll laugh when I see you, and life moves on.

• Haha 1

Just now, Computer Nerd said:

You only missed about another 10 lines but whatever

No, I didn't.  I assume you are literate, so I assume that you noticed that there was only a single bullet point under the MDR--the one I quoted.

Assuming the same basic amount of literacy, I am sure you also recognized that the rest of the page said nothing about requiring long pants in the MDR or anywhere else.

5 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

If you want to be offended by others who don't,  sail one of the luxury lines that require it

They don't have to do that. They can look down on you all they want. 

I can care less either way. Just as you can wear shorts they can pine for the old days and dislike the new norm.

You can also laugh when the look down on you BTW. 

Seriously? Getting uppity over shorts? I certainly don't agree with all the fashion choices of others, but I just roll my eyes or whatever and move on, as I'm sure others do when they see my old body in leggings. Attire in a cruise ship's restaurant is the least of my worries these days.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Computer Nerd said:

I don't laugh at people because of what they choose to wear. I laugh at supposed adults that can't follow even the simplest of rules. It's like watching toddlers in adult bodies. Hilarious.

It's too bad CC doesn't have a thumbs down button.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Computer Nerd said:

Nah, guess you don't have to. According to some here you can jut put on your cleanest tighty whities and a pressed wife beater and you'll be just fine for formal night because the dress code doesn't specifically forbid wearing tighty whities with a wife beater.

Wrong yet again. There is a written rule that specifies no tank tops in the MDR at dinner. 

You're taking a simple vacation wardrobe choice a tad too much to heart. It's just a family friendly leisure cruise line after all. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Laugh at me all you want, I'll be the guy dining in comfort while wearing my nice comfortable shorts. Don't look down though or you'll give yourself a hernia as your laughter escalates when you discover I'm also wearing gasp, flip flops. 

You heathen! How dare thou? 🙂

• Haha 1

READ ALL before responding.

Cruising tomorrow and every night you'll find me in some black linen pants and whatever Tommy Bahamas button down shirt I decide. Super comfortable and I like nice for my beautiful bride. 

Used to care about clothing on formal nights as we dressed up, Tux and fancy gown, when slob came wearing whatever and had a hat on. Decided I cannot fix someone being a slob. And i'm talikng sloppy inappropriate clothes, baseball hats, etc. Don't GAF anymore. Be the biggest slob you can be. Not talking about people wearing nice, but not formal, clothes to dinner.

We don't get drressed up anymore. I would wear nicer shorts instead of linen pants but I don't really have anything but casual or gym shorts. My linen pants are super comfortable and go with all my Tommy shirts.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, nj356 said:

Hello

My family and I will be on the Oasis tomorrow and when we were on other cruises on the first night I could wear dress shorts in the MDR.

For the rest of the week can I still do that, or does it become an issue and longs pants are required.

Also any way to know if the ship will be at 100% capacity.

Thank you

Norm

Been 4 yrs since saw sign saying no Shorts outside Main Dining Room and that was only on a Formal Nite. Since then no issues

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wayne_trisha said:

READ ALL before responding.

Cruising tomorrow and every night you'll find me in some black linen pants and whatever Tommy Bahamas button down shirt I decide. Super comfortable and I like nice for my beautiful bride. 

Used to care about clothing on formal nights as we dressed up, Tux and fancy gown, when slob came wearing whatever and had a hat on. Decided I cannot fix someone being a slob. And i'm talikng sloppy inappropriate clothes, baseball hats, etc. Don't GAF anymore. Be the biggest slob you can be. Not talking about people wearing nice, but not formal, clothes to dinner.

We don't get drressed up anymore. I would wear nicer shorts instead of linen pants but I don't really have anything but casual or gym shorts. My linen pants are super comfortable and go with all my Tommy shirts.

Linen pants are the bomb. I have a pair of linen pants that are awesome. In fact I should buy another pair before my cruise next month

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Wrong yet again. There is a written rule that specifies no tank tops in the MDR at dinner. 

You're taking a simple vacation wardrobe choice a tad too much to heart. It's just a family friendly leisure cruise line after all. 

Yes, last time I witnessed Passengers Turned away-Sent away to Change they were wearing BOTH Shorts and Tank Tops in Main Dining. Was sitting SOLO people watching near Entrance. Was 4yrs ago though...