Question about shorts in the MDR

18 minutes ago, wayne_trisha said:

READ ALL before responding.

Cruising tomorrow and every night you'll find me in some black linen pants and whatever Tommy Bahamas button down shirt I decide. Super comfortable and I like nice for my beautiful bride. 

Used to care about clothing on formal nights as we dressed up, Tux and fancy gown, when slob came wearing whatever and had a hat on. Decided I cannot fix someone being a slob. And i'm talikng sloppy inappropriate clothes, baseball hats, etc. Don't GAF anymore. Be the biggest slob you can be. Not talking about people wearing nice, but not formal, clothes to dinner.

We don't get drressed up anymore. I would wear nicer shorts instead of linen pants but I don't really have anything but casual or gym shorts. My linen pants are super comfortable and go with all my Tommy shirts.

I gotta ask, how do you keep those linen pants wrinkle free in travel?? Love me some linen pants/shorts/shirts in hot weather. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wayne_trisha said:

READ ALL before responding.

Cruising tomorrow and every night you'll find me in some black linen pants and whatever Tommy Bahamas button down shirt I decide. Super comfortable and I like nice for my beautiful bride. 

Used to care about clothing on formal nights as we dressed up, Tux and fancy gown, when slob came wearing whatever and had a hat on. Decided I cannot fix someone being a slob. And i'm talikng sloppy inappropriate clothes, baseball hats, etc. Don't GAF anymore. Be the biggest slob you can be. Not talking about people wearing nice, but not formal, clothes to dinner.

We don't get drressed up anymore. I would wear nicer shorts instead of linen pants but I don't really have anything but casual or gym shorts. My linen pants are super comfortable and go with all my Tommy shirts.

When you say Tommy Bahama "button down shirt", do you mean a camp-style Hawaiian print shirt?  Yep, that's what I wear all summer long.  And they are perfect for cruising.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

Yes, you can wear shorts in the MDR and specialty restaurants...no one will stop you.

* I continue to bring nice slacks for one reason...we were once invited to a Captain's Table dinner...and genuinely hoping to be invited again, someday.

I am happy for you but I personally have no interest in dining with the Captain 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, baelor said:

If it were a rule, then they would be turned away from the MDR.

And there is no such rule.

Rules used to exist then, everyone decided to step back, take a breath and relax on holiday. Now, most people wear what they want and some do still dress to the hilt but others don't even bring a collared shirt. It is all good. Just do not try to enter the MDR bare foot. They will not allow that. 😉

• Like 1

4 hours ago, doppelganger2621 said:

Linen pants are the bomb. I have a pair of linen pants that are awesome. In fact I should buy another pair before my cruise next month

We leave this week and I have 4 pair of linen pants. They are so comfortable for both the guys and for us to wear in the hot Caribbean temps. And, the weather says we are going to have 90's. 

8 hours ago, Mapleleafforever said:

I gotta ask, how do you keep those linen pants wrinkle free in travel?? Love me some linen pants/shorts/shirts in hot weather. 

I roll them before packing. I think it also helps they are black so the wrinkles are not as obvious.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, rudeney said:

When you say Tommy Bahama "button down shirt", do you mean a camp-style Hawaiian print shirt?  Yep, that's what I wear all summer long.  And they are perfect for cruising.

Yes. Just bought another one yesterday for our cruise today.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, wayne_trisha said:

Yes. Just bought another one yesterday for our cruise today.

Too stylish for me, lol. I’ll keep an eye out for ya though. 🤣

I so rarely wear pants here but do at night on the ship.. Usually khakis & short sleeve button down or casual polo (not one you’d wear to an office). Just no Tommy Bahama prints.

Screw dressing up. I own one black suit that I used to wear for weddings, funerals, & formal nights… it’s literally been collecting dust in my closet for years.

See ya on board!

Edited by OCSC Mike
  • Like 1

Royal need to evolve to meet the needs of the contemporary cruiser otherwise suffer the fate of the dinosaurs. Extinct. We haven packed gowns or tuxes in a long time. Shorts are fine in the MDR any day, any time. Enjoy your cruise. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 5

I rarely wear shorts anyhow. But I will wear them during the day occasionally on a cruise. But I don't pack a suit, dress shirts, ties, dress shoes, etc. on a cruise. It's a vacation. I pack light. For dinner I'll wear jeans or long pants, a polo or button down shirt and that's it. I don't care what anybody else thinks. I'm comfortable for dinner and a night on the ship. Fifteen night cruise I had a 24 inch carryon and a small bag. VACATION!

36 minutes ago, nferr said:

I rarely wear shorts anyhow. But I will wear them during the day occasionally on a cruise. But I don't pack a suit, dress shirts, ties, dress shoes, etc. on a cruise. It's a vacation. I pack light. For dinner I'll wear jeans or long pants, a polo or button down shirt and that's it. I don't care what anybody else thinks. I'm comfortable for dinner and a night on the ship. Fifteen night cruise I had a 24 inch carryon and a small bag. VACATION!

This is the most ridiculous post in this whole thread!   Who can pack for sixteen days in a 24-inch carryon?  😜

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, rudeney said:

This is the most ridiculous post in this whole thread!   Who can pack for sixteen days in a 24-inch carryon?  😜

You can pay to have clothes laundered or hand wash items.  I have never packed that light, but it is NOT ridiculous.

3 hours ago, MississippiMom said:

You can pay to have clothes laundered or hand wash items.  I have never packed that light, but it is NOT ridiculous.

Exactly. I wash small things out and dry them on a balcony chair. I actually had too many clothes. I did buy a few tshirts in ports. 

• Like 1

Before kids, I always dressed up for formal night. With kids, mostly time (to get ready) and luggage space prevents me from bringing formal wear. Usually I wear a button down or polo shirt, with a nice set of shorts (yes, they do exist) or some sort of long pants. You'll be fine with shorts, just don't wear bathing suit shorts.

• Like 1

It really is a shame that dressing for dinner has been so dumbed down.  I always ask people who say they wear shorts and flip flops to the MDR, would you wear that to a wedding in a formal venue?  If not, then you shouldn't be wearing them into a formal dining room on a ship.  I know, "it's my vacation, I paid for it, I'll wear what I want."  And we wonder why people in this country have no respect for rules. I know it's not actually a "rule", but there is such a thing as respect and common sense.  Which apparently many are lacking.  The waitstaff dresses for dinner; is it that hard for the passengers to do the same? What you wear won't impact my dinner, I think it's disrespectful to the venue and staff.  My opinion, just like those who wear shorts have theirs.  

Edited by jerseygirl3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jerseygirl3 said:

It really is a shame that dressing for dinner has been so dumbed down.  I always ask people who say they wear shorts and flip flops to the MDR, would you wear that to a wedding in a formal venue?  If not, then you shouldn't be wearing them into a formal dining room on a ship.  I know, "it's my vacation, I paid for it, I'll wear what I want."  And we wonder why people in this country have no respect for rules. I know it's not actually a "rule", but there is such a thing as respect and common sense.  Which apparently many are lacking.  The waitstaff dresses for dinner; is it that hard for the passengers to do the same? What you wear won't impact my dinner, I think it's disrespectful to the venue and staff.  My opinion, just like those who wear shorts have theirs.  

Love this. You have encapsulated my feelings on the subject perfectly.

It comes down to Respect. Respect for the rules, respect for others and respect for self. It seems in the last 5 or 10 years, that has been in extremely short supply.

I pack a couple pairs of long pants for each cruise. I only wear them during dinner, and often change right back into shorts immediately after. 

Respect.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 5/28/2022 at 11:14 PM, molsonschooner said:

I am happy for you but I personally have no interest in dining with the Captain 

It’s usually fun because if the conversations. And the captains have some great stories. 

1 hour ago, bruzin_for_a_cruizin said:

Love this. You have encapsulated my feelings on the subject perfectly.

It comes down to Respect. Respect for the rules, respect for others and respect for self. It seems in the last 5 or 10 years, that has been in extremely short supply.

I pack a couple pairs of long pants for each cruise. I only wear them during dinner, and often change right back into shorts immediately after. 

Respect.

The cruise line doesn't respect you because they allow people to dine in shorts.  And will continue to do so.

Respect.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jerseygirl3 said:

I always ask people who say they wear shorts and flip flops to the MDR, would you wear that to a wedding in a formal venue?  If not, then you shouldn't be wearing them into a formal dining room on a ship.

Because the wedding is several notches above "formal dining room" in formality and significance.

I know, "it's my vacation, I paid for it, I'll wear what I want."  And we wonder why people in this country have no respect for rules. I know it's not actually a "rule", but there is such a thing as respect and common sense.

Is it, though?  I have season tickets to the symphony and the opera (anyone under 40 is a "young adult," so I get great deals).  People show up in floor-length fur coats.  They also show up in shorts, T-shirts, and flip-flops.  No one is turned away, and the venues do not have "rules."

You tie clothes to "respect" and "common sense."  A lot of people don't.  Who is right?  Probably no one, which means the line gets to set the standards.  And if the "rules" are not actually "rules" and instead just "suggestions," the argument collapses.

Which apparently many are lacking.  The waitstaff dresses for dinner; is it that hard for the passengers to do the same? What you wear won't impact my dinner, I think it's disrespectful to the venue and staff.  My opinion, just like those who wear shorts have theirs.  

I would rather the staff not get dressed up for dinner.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jerseygirl3 said:

. I know it's not actually a "rule", but there is such a thing as respect and common sense.  Which apparently many are lacking.  

You summed it all up in a single sentence.    

I have more respect in my little finger than most people have in their entire body.  

And comments like this is a major sign of disrespect.   
why would you worry about what others wear.  

Judgmental are we?  
You do you. And I’ll do me.   

I wear very nice shorts. A nice button up dress shirt and a pair of nice sneaker or maybe if I’ve had a long day of walking, 

I’ll wear nice flip flops.  
What does it matter, does your food not taste as good?  
are you not getting the service you deserve because of me wearing shorts?   
get over it. Like other have said.  
Formal nights are for cruise lines to sell photo packages and make money.

Thats it.     And if that’s what you and your family want to do, please go right ahead.   But don’t judge.  It’s not appealing at all.  

• Like 3