Laundry Strategy

Two cruises coming up in august and I'm trying to puzzle this out...

Here's the deal:

We fly out August 2 to Barcelona (staying at H10 Catalunya Plaza--right on the Placa)...two nights there, then we board the Vision of the Seas for an 8-night cruise on 8/5...then, back to Barcelona for 3 more nights, then fly on 8/16 to Reykjavik, Iceland, then boarding the Celebrity Summit 8/19 for a 12-night Iceland/Greenland cruise that ends in Boston...one night in Boston, then fly home to California the following evening--September 1...

So...that's a full month for all intent and purpose...

...and luggage is limited...The airlines allow us one 50 lb. suitcase each plus a carry-on...(And paying for additional luggage isn't a realistic solution since there are about 10 trips in four cities we'll have to make by Uber or taxi and there's only so much luggage you can cram into a taxi).  From experience, we can, reasonably, pack for about a maximum of ten days each...remember, lots of other things have to go in one of those cases as well--like CPAP machines, electronic devices, toiletries, etc.

So, somewhere along that month-long timeline, we are going to have to do laundry...at least twice, maybe three times...

We are Elite Plus on Celebrity...so we get two free bags of laundry each on the Summit cruise--but we don't get to the Summit until DAY 17 of the trip...So, we are going to need to do laundry--at least once--or maybe more--prior to that...

Thinking it out, if we went ten days until getting the laundry done, that would put us at the day we get off the Vision.  My original thought was to find a laundry somewhere near our hotel in Barcelona that does "Fluff and Fold" and bring everything in...or we could find a laundromat and doing it ourselves...and either solution is fairly inexpensive...But it's hard to imagine schlepping all of our dirty laundry around the streets of Barcelona...or even spending any of our time there dealing with laundry...

So the next thought is to get some laundry done on the Vision...and fill in a little by washing a few items, as needed, in our stateroom bathroom sink or in our hotels in Barcelona and Reykjavik--enough to get us to the Summit--where we can do 4 bags for free over the next 12 days...

Now, as I understand it, RCCL has a deal on bags of laundry onboard that's discounted for Diamond Crown & Anchor members (We're Diamond...and, alas, still just a few nights short of Diamond Plus)...Is that still correct?

So, how much will we be charged for a bag of laundry? 

About how much stuff can one fit in a bag?

Is it one of those paper bags that starts tearing when you try to stuff it?

Are there limitations on the bag deal (like it's only on certain days)?

What is the normal turnaround time on laundry?

Thanks...

• Haha 1

Takes about 2 days, so do it maybe 3 days before the end of a cruise.  Paper bag, although they use a special form from steward for wash and fold (only specific items like underwear, bathing suits, T shirts and shorts).  As I recall the bag was $35 with Diamond getting a $10 discount.  Roll each item tightly.  We can get usually 7-8 underwear, 6 shirts and 6 shorts in easily.  Mark the form that you are Diamond and take a picture of the form to record what you sent.  Note that each Diamond gets a bag, so if you need more it isn't that big a deal to put in two bags.

Assume you checked to see if your Barcelona hotel has a guest laundry.

27 minutes ago, LeeW said:

Assume you checked to see if your Barcelona hotel has a guest laundry.

Thanks...

...and, yes, since we're staying in the same hotel 2 nights pre-cruise and three nights post-cruise, I figure I'll ask at the hotel when we first arrive about services and pricing (hopefully easy and relatively inexpensive)...and, if they have some sort of laundry service, I'll have that option. 

Do you use vacuum/ziploc bags to optimize suitcase space? We do this on longer trips since Royal and laundry don't do so well together. Amazing how much air you don't have to pack if you use this trick.

1 hour ago, Bruin Steve said:

Now, as I understand it, RCCL has a deal on bags of laundry onboard that's discounted for Diamond Crown & Anchor members (We're Diamond.)...Is that still correct?

So, how much will we be charged for a bag of laundry? 

About how much stuff can one fit in a bag?

Is it one of those paper bags that starts tearing when you try to stuff it?

Are there limitations on the bag deal (like it's only on certain days)?

What is the normal turnaround time on laundry?

Thanks...

Instead of writing an entire short story

You could just limit it to the above paragraph to get what you need.

Just the facts ma'am..

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, LeeW said:

Takes about 2 days, so do it maybe 3 days before the end of a cruise. 

Laundry given to the stateroom attendant with his evening turndown will be delivered the next day after 5 with that evening's turndown.  So yes, 3 days prior to the end of the cruise would be wise.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Laundry for diamond is $25 per bag.   I am very good at cramming the plastic bag full and bring a roll of scotch tape so I don't have to tie the top of the bag to close.  I get more room in a bag by filling to top then tape it closed.

We only put underwear, pjs, tshirts, shorts.   Do not put anything in that you really like as they put all the wash together in really hot water and hot dryers.  

I hand wash bathing suits, bras, blouses, rash guard swim shirts etc with woolite in the cabin or hotel sink.

18 minutes ago, matj2000 said:

Just the facts ma'am..

You're free NOT to read it if you don't want...

37 minutes ago, GJustice said:

Do you use vacuum/ziploc bags to optimize suitcase space? We do this on longer trips since Royal and laundry don't do so well together. Amazing how much air you don't have to pack if you use this trick.

Space is not the issue.  Being able to pack more inside the suitcase wouldn't help anything...The airline limit is 50 lbs./23 kg no matter how you pack.  The contents weigh the same.  We have extremely lightweight luggage and no problem filling it to 50 lbs. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

You're free NOT to read it if you don't want...

Space is not the issue.  Being able to pack more inside the suitcase wouldn't help anything...The airline limit is 50 lbs./23 kg no matter how you pack.  The contents weigh the same.  We have extremely lightweight luggage and no problem filling it to 50 lbs. 

Your first statement here:  that's why the dear boy has been on my ignore list for years......

I have standard travel items I always take.  I packed them into my single large suitcase and weighed the suitcase, subtracted from 50, and that's the weight of any clothes I take.

I suggest one of you do a free bag of laundry (for the both of you) on day 2 on the Vision.  Then, do another on day 6.  Start the free laundry bag again on evening 1 on the Summit, and then another freebie mid-cruise.  This should get you to where you only have to pay for 1 bag of laundry toward the end of the Summit cruise.

I put anything knit in the bag, plus the usual undies, etc.  It's the heavier fabrics, or clothes that need special handling I'd avoid.  If you wear knit long shorts, they can go in the bag, too.  

Since you are traveling in hot weather, the thinnest undies you both can take, the more you can fit in the bag.  

Edited by pcur
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, pcur said:

Your first statement here:  that's why the dear boy has been on my ignore list for years......

I have standard travel items I always take.  I packed them into my single large suitcase and weighed the suitcase, subtracted from 50, and that's the weight of any clothes I take.

I suggest one of you do a free bag of laundry (for the both of you) on day 2 on the Vision.  Then, do another on day 6.  Start the free laundry bag again on evening 1 on the Summit, and then another freebie mid-cruise.  This should get you to where you only have to pay for 1 bag of laundry toward the end of the Summit cruise.

I put anything knit in the bag, plus the usual undies, etc.  It's the heavier fabrics, or clothes that need special handling I'd avoid.  If you wear knit long shorts, they can go in the bag, too.  

Since you are traveling in hot weather, the thinnest undies you both can take, the more you can fit in the bag.  

The OP is not yet D+ so they have to pay $25 per bag on voyager.  Get free laundry when they board Celebrity.

I would probably look for self serve laundry in Barcelona.  I prefer to do my own when able.

I've recently started doing consecutive B2B/S2S cruises, and so I know where you're coming from.  

I highly recommend, if you don't have them already, that you get a pack of 22-pound magnetic hooks like these.  They make them in heavier sizes, but I find that the 22-pound version is plenty strong for holding a wet garment on a hanger, while adding as little weight as possible to your luggage.  

In addition to checking to see if your Barcelona hotel offers laundry services, don't forget to see if they have coin (or credit card, in this day and age) operated self-laundry machines somewhere on the premises.  That will be the cheapest AND easiest way for you to do your own laundry without having to lug it to/from a laundromat.  If they do have on-site laundry facilities, you could even do one small load from your traveling day and two days there the night before you board Vision.

On Vision, you'll get the wash-n-fold offer.  Sometimes it's a plastic bag, sometimes it's a paper bag -- I've come across both in the past six months, although the paper bag was more common. It will be $25 with your Diamond discount, and you'll get one bag per Diamond member.  I do not put graphic t-shirts in with the wash-n-fold, in order to preserve the screen printing on them, but undies, socks, pajamas, knit slacks, and plain t-shirts would be fine.  

For my swimgear and graphic t-shirts, I wash those out in the bathroom sink (if the sink fills slowly, use the shower hose to fill it up -- can also use the shower's stronger stream to agitate the sink water).  Some people bring Woolite or other laundry detergent, but that's just more weight to pack into the luggage as far as I'm concerned. I just use a handful of the Mystery Goo that is in the shower dispenser.  I also pre-treat any stains with straight Mystery Goo worked into the stain and surrounding fabric. 

Depending on how deep the sink is, I wash items individually or a few at a time.  If the sink is so shallow that I'm concerned about getting an adequate rinse afterward, I will hang the article in the shower and hose it down on both sides. 

When everything is washed and rinsed, I let it all drip in the shower until it doesn't drip anymore.  Then I lay my post-shower towel on the floor of the stateroom and place each item flat on the towel.  If I've washed multiple items and can't fit them all on one towel, I lay a second towel on top of the first layer of clothing and make another layer, like a laundry lasagna.  When it's all laid out, I roll it up from one end, then move it behind the vanity chair (so I can hold onto the back and not fall and break a hip) and walk on it sideways, like a skateboard.  This drives the moisture into the towel layers, like wringing it out, only without stretching and wrinkling the clothing's fabric.

Unroll the lasagna tube, hang each item on a hanger, and suspend each hanger from the ceiling with a magnetic hook.  I do this before leaving for dinner each evening, and everything is dry the next morning.  Works like a charm!

Edited by brillohead
  • Like 5

In regards to taxis.  You might want to prebook a car service.  On our last cruise that went out of Barcelona, we traveled with the my MIL.  Each of us had one full sized luggage, along with my wife and my self having two carry ons.  I think my MIL may have had one carryon.  The car I ordered had enough room to accomadate all three of us along with the luggage.

Plus it was nice to just look for a person carrying a sign with our name on it.  We did this both way from the the Barcelona airport to our 3 day pre-cruise stay,  then to the cruise ship.  And then from the ship to our one day post cruise hotel stay.  And then from the hotel to the airport.

4 hours ago, matj2000 said:

Just the facts ma'am..

Let the Lady talk. Your Sir, can click to the next thread if it bothers you. 

• Like 1

We always use the wash & fold bags on Royal ships.  There are 3 of us travelling, so we usually need to make use 2 or 3 times on a 14 day b2b cruise.  We are each D+ so there are 3 free bags for us per week.  We will use  the ship laundry for shirts and pants if needed at cost.  We have never had an issue with Royal laundry service.

Whenever I book a shore excursion from an independent entrepreneur, I always request that the first (and also the final) stop be a local laundromat.  The laundry is dropped off at the start of the tour and retrieved at the end of the tour, washed, dried, folded or on hangers.  I either pay the laundry in local currency, or the laundry price is added to the cost of the tour and the tour guide reimburses the laundry.

Business is given to a local merchant.  The cost is far less than the $35 ($25 for Diamond members) charged by the ship.  Delicate items are given special care.  You do not need to wait for two days to have the laundry returned.

There are usually laundromats within walking distance of the location where the cruise ship docks if I choose to do the laundry myself.  I will pack the square laundry pacs in my shaving kit (wrapped in a ziploc bag in case of breakage).  Dryer sheets are added to the suitcase for freshness until they are used at the laundromat.

• Like 1

Watch out for laundromats in Europe.  They use very 'high efficiency' machines which means that very little water is used and the rinse from the last load is used to wet the next load.  As such, they will leave your clothes with a smell that you will never get rid of. 

Just pay whatever it costs on the first cruise.  We just finished a month on cruises and laundry is important and not worth trying to save money on.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

The OP is not yet D+ so they have to pay $25 per bag on voyager.  Get free laundry when they board Celebrity.

I would probably look for self serve laundry in Barcelona.  I prefer to do my own when able.

My mistake. I thought Celebrity Elite Plus translated to D+ on RCCL.

I would still recommend the "schedule" I posted.  I have done laundry in a foreign country in a coin operated self-laundry, ending up with foreign coins I didn't need, and taking the time to do it all. But, if one chooses to do this, I recommend packing laundry sheets to avoid having to also buy detergent. 

17 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Laundry given to the stateroom attendant with his evening turndown will be delivered the next day after 5 with that evening's turndown.  So yes, 3 days prior to the end of the cruise would be wise.

Was Surprised last Month, was on B4B-Lots Laundry but my stuff sent out inc Reg, Pressed and wash/fold bag was all done in 18yrs on Jewel. Won't count on this as norm but Wow!

1 hour ago, ONECRUISER said:

Was Surprised last Month, was on B4B-Lots Laundry but my stuff sent out inc Reg, Pressed and wash/fold bag was all done in 18yrs on Jewel. Won't count on this as norm but Wow!

Holy WOW, you were on the Jewel for 18 YEARS????  I'm impressed.......😁

I know, I know, the H is just below the Y........

Disclaimer: My posts are opinions, experiences, and suggestions.  If I were writing a scientific dissertation, I would agree to exhaustive research.  But, this is a travel board, and YMMV.

Edited by pcur
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, pcur said:

Holy WOW, you were on the Jewel for 18 YEARS????  I'm impressed.......😁

I know, I know, the H is just below the Y........

Disclaimer: My posts are opinions, experiences, and suggestions.  If I were writing a scientific dissertation, I would agree to exhaustive research.  But, this is a travel board, and YMMV.

Half time don't know if it's my limited Typing Skills or Spell Check/Correct. Irony is when I misspell a word my Cell learns that mistake to use it again and forever, even when that time I typed it correct to begin with

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Half time don't know if it's my limited Typing Skills or Spell Check/Correct. Irony is when I misspell a word my Cell learns that mistake to use it again and forever, even when that time I typed it correct to begin with

You have been hacked by your cell phone...........................

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, pcur said:

My mistake. I thought Celebrity Elite Plus translated to D+ on RCCL.

For future reference, the highest they will match is Diamond on RCL and Elite on Celebrity.  Even Pinnacle on RCL only gets you to Elite on Celebrity, and vice versa with Celebrity's upper levels only matching to Diamond on RCL.

• Thanks 1

How about you just send it to the laundry and pay for it - problem solved. People are paying thousands of dollars for a cruise, but quibble over the price of a few bags of laundry.

Edited by RD64
Additional comment
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, RD64 said:

How about you just send it to the laundry and pay for it - problem solved. People are paying thousands of dollars for a cruise, but quibble over the price of a few bags of laundry.

For many people, the reason we CAN cruise is because we are frugal.  

• Like 2