Guys Fries?

22 minutes ago, mz-s said:

They're still served on Lido but have all but disappeared from the MDR at least for now. Even on elegant night, no baked potato with the prime rib - just half a potato with cheese cooked onto it. I think they'd bring you sour cream and bacon bits if you wanted it though.

After a, perhaps, ten year hiatus from the MDR (dinner)  - we gave it a try JUST for the prime rib on our 5/20 Liberty sailing. I had heard that there was no longer a baked potato, but it was there on the plate when they brought the VERY lackluster prime rib... 😞

Tom

17 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

After a, perhaps, ten year hiatus from the MDR (dinner)  - we gave it a try JUST for the prime rib on our 5/20 Liberty sailing. I had heard that there was no longer a baked potato, but it was there on the plate when they brought the VERY lackluster prime rib... 😞

Tom

Good news! Hopefully they're back! In my 3 cruises since the restart all I got with my prime rib was a half of a potato with cheese already cooked on it.

I have always enjoyed the prime rib, but I eat it so rarely otherwise I really have no frame of reference.

• Like 1

Everything seemed off at Guy's on the Spirit last week. They didn't have sauteed mushrooms out until the final day of the cruise, for some reason. The fries were so unimpressive I went to the sandwich shop to get their fries and added spice with the sriracha mayo instead of seasoning. The buns seemed soggy, and the patties were all over the place of terms of size and shape.I did find that adding the onion ring gave it more texture, though. Maybe it's just me, and I've gotten to the point where the Guy's burgers just aren't that special any more--the same happened when I realized the chocolate melting cake isn't that great for me now, especially since the ones I get now are too liquid inside, and when I can see lava cakes sold in grocery stores. 

8 minutes ago, rj59 said:

Everything seemed off at Guy's on the Spirit last week. They didn't have sauteed mushrooms out until the final day of the cruise, for some reason. The fries were so unimpressive I went to the sandwich shop to get their fries and added spice with the sriracha mayo instead of seasoning. The buns seemed soggy, and the patties were all over the place of terms of size and shape.I did find that adding the onion ring gave it more texture, though. Maybe it's just me, and I've gotten to the point where the Guy's burgers just aren't that special any more--the same happened when I realized the chocolate melting cake isn't that great for me now, especially since the ones I get now are too liquid inside, and when I can see lava cakes sold in grocery stores. 

The first one I had on the Liberty last weekend (yep, went two weekends in a row...) was one of the best Guy's Burgers I've had. It was fresh, hot, and just enough moist fat. The second one was more typical - probably had been sitting there 15+ minutes. As to the fries, on the second afternoon I went up to grab just a large plate of fries - they were fresh out of the fryer and were excellent (though, we were starving and just looking for enough to get us through to the steakhouse).

LOL - also, I had my first Melting Chocolate Cake in several years when we were in the MDR for the prime rib. It didn't live up to my memory, but they say you can't step into the same river twice...

Tom

• Like 1

13 hours ago, rj59 said:

They didn't have sauteed mushrooms out until the final day of the cruise, for some reason. 

Oh, those sautéed mushrooms are SO GOOD, too!  Since the fries aren't as good anymore, I get the mushrooms instead - extra ones!!

• Like 2

On 6/1/2022 at 3:09 PM, Laplayaperson said:

What is this non-sense I'm seeing about guys fries changed?  Weren't they fresh cut fries, and now something different?  Please explain/share experiences. 

They are actually better but the burgers are still the worst at sea.

On 6/3/2022 at 4:59 PM, modes said:

They are actually better but the burgers are still the worst at sea.

Uh huh... :classic_rolleyes:

While I can't agree with that, I can post what is the BEST burger I've enjoyed at sea!

i-M35bNJP-XL.jpg

i-n5gQZV8-XL.jpg

i-LtZH3TN-XL.jpg

CELEBRITY'S SIGNATURE BURGER @ The Lawn Club Grill. It's appropriately at the top of their (special - sea days only) Signature Burgers menu:

i-jQT4L8q-XL.jpg

Tom

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

While I can't agree with that, I can post what is the BEST burger I've enjoyed at sea!

i-M35bNJP-XL.jpg

i-n5gQZV8-XL.jpg

i-LtZH3TN-XL.jpg

CELEBRITY'S SIGNATURE BURGER @ The Lawn Club Grill. It's appropriately at the top of their (special - sea days only) Signature Burgers menu:

i-jQT4L8q-XL.jpg

Tom

I agree they are the best but they do cost $25 and Guy's are free.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MikeyA53 said:

I agree they are the best but they do cost $25 and Guy's are free.

Yep - even though I would pay the $25, we were in a RS, so (virtually) all dining is included. AKA, I "prepaid" 😁

Tom

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

i-M35bNJP-XL.jpg

i-n5gQZV8-XL.jpg

i-LtZH3TN-XL.jpg

i-jQT4L8q-XL.jpg

Tom

Dam man! That is money! 🤤

• Haha 1

We just got off Sunshine a few weeks ago. The fries were not fresh/hand cut but they were seasoned like the Guy's Fries used to be. I still liked them better than the deli fries but not enough to get another order.

On the other hand, my husband said his prime rib was terrible. I don't eat meat but I'd rather have a less-than-stellar order of fries than a bad main dish.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, proudpatriot07 said:

On the other hand, my husband said his prime rib was terrible. I don't eat meat but I'd rather have a less-than-stellar order of fries than a bad main dish.

Prime rib - I know that 10+ years ago, they didn't give you a thick cut, but it was still a decent size. I could not believe it a few weeks ago when they brought it to me. Much thinner and they might as well bring me a hoagie roll and call it a prime rib sandwich. What's sadder still - even given the small portion (I did order two), I've never left so much prime rib on the plate... and not because I was full!  :YIKES:

Tom

15 minutes ago, vwrestler171 said:

In the 12 years I've been cruising, I have never been impressed with Carnivals prime rib.

Mine was great last cruise. Perfectly cooked and tender. I should have gotten another as it was a bit thin. But it was fantastic, though thin. Probably depends of the chef and luck of the draw. If it gets overcooked, they aren't going to toss it, plus it depends on the area of cut you get, center will be best and then more well done from there out to the edges.  

Edited by cruisingguy007

1 minute ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Mine was great last cruise. Perfectly cooked and tender. I should have gotten another as it was a bit thin. But it was fantastic, though thin. Probably depends of the chef and luck of the draw. 

Probably most dependent upon the cow !   lol

Tom

• Haha 1

I had never eaten Guy's Fries before my cruise in February because I don't like the burgers. But I snuck some fries off my husband's plate on the latest cruise and they were wonderful! I started going to Guy's just to get the fries.