HORRIBLE customer service experiences with RCCL

Sorry for the long rant, but I feel like people should be aware of how ROYAL is treating people, and about their extremely shady business practices. 

So here’s the story… Shortly before my final payment was due, I noticed my balance increased by $423. I didn’t think they could just increase my cruise fare at the last minute like that, so I called and they confirmed that it was an error. They said they would fix it, but the balance never went back to what it was originally.  They took my final payment (for the correct amount) and they said not to worry about the $423 it showed was remaining.  Well, this never corrected itself like they promised and I kept getting warnings that I’m not paid in full and my reservation will be cancelled. I called multiple times to ask them to fix it and every time they kept telling me not to worry because I’m paid in full and it’s just an error in their automated system (whatever that means). Anyway, about 6 weeks before sailing, guess what happened… they cancelled my booking because it wasn’t “paid in full”!!! UGGGHHHH  ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!  I was furious. They ended up re-instating the booking because they acknowledged that it was their error, but when they cancelled my booking, they also automatically cancelled my drink packages and CocoCay cabana. 

This is the big headache I’m dealing with now. They told me “no big deal, just go re-purchase those items”. The problem is that the drink package is now a way higher price and the cabana is sold out. I’m so pissed at them. This was 100% their fault and they’re just telling me I’m screwed. It has been an absolute nightmare dealing with them. The first time I called, the guy just flat out said there’s nothing he can do to help. I asked to speak with a supervisor, but he said “don’t bother, they won’t be able to fix it either”. I insisted, so I was placed on hold for hours and no one ever answered. He eventually took my number and said a supervisor would call me back within 24 hrs. Well, are you surprised to hear that no one EVER called me back?  I have wasted hours and hours of my life on the phone trying to get this resolved, and every time I call, they give me the run around, are rude to me, and/or blatantly lie to my face. They also STILL haven’t refunded my money from the drink packages and cabana they cancelled (1 month later and still waiting).  STOP HOLDING MY MONEY HOSTAGE!  The refund is not even in process yet and no one can give me an answer when I ask about it. It’s so infuriating. 

They have 100% lost us as customers forever. We sail in 2 weeks and I’m just trying not to let this ruin our vacation. I’m trying not to go into it with a sour attitude, but they have caused us so much stress, and they have shown no interest in trying to fix it or compensate us for their giant screw up.  I have NEVER in my life seen such poor customer service. I don’t normally post things like this, but I don’t know what else to do other than warn people to stay away from this deceitful company. I sure hope this is an isolated incident and you all have had a problem-free experience with them, but unfortunately, I doubt that’s the case. If you have a similar experience, please share so we can warn others. 

• Like 10

Have you tried contacting the executive office for assistance?  I’m not sure they will help, but as you are still very frustrated it may be worth an email.

There have been multiple reports of errors in the billing system.  Mr. Bayley’s office needs to understand how these errors are impacting guests and their satisfaction with the company.  Do, even if you do not personally gain any compensation, at least you will be helping to deliver a message that may help the next guest.  
I am sorry you lost your cabana and the deal on the drink package.  I do hope you are able to enjoy your cruise.

mbayley@rccl.com

• Like 6

Sadly this is a known bug that has been reported by many people over time that can happen.

They don't seem interested enough to fix it, probably because not as many people notice it and end up overpaying.

I'd suggest emailing MBayley@rccl.com which is the corporate exec team and see what they say.

• Like 1

First of all go enjoy your cruise as I said here before the exact same thing happened to me. We lost the cabin that we really wanted and also the items we purchased such as specialty restaurants and few other things that totalled $400. We had to rebook everything but everything turned out ok.  They refunded the money we lost and you now what the cabin that they rebooked for us turned out to be very good location.  I know what you're talking about the customer service not be very good but as I said it'll work out. I understand your frustrated just try to have a little patience.  Hope everything works out have a great cruise. 

• Like 1

I wonder if you had put your foot down before making the final payment if they would have fixed it?  Before final, I like to confirm that all the details are correct with an email and online; sometimes it is difficult.  But at least at that point you have accepted things as documented or NOT (i.e. cancel and start over).

I think you are very justified in being upset to the point of warning others of what happened.  Thank you.

• Like 2

This same "almost" exact thing happened to one of my friends for our upcoming cruise this Friday on the Ovation.  She still hasn't gotten her money totally refunded...luckily she was able to re-book her cruise..but has spent countless hours on the phone with customer service.  It's been a nightmare for her.

I guess maybe a word to the wise, if this is a fairly common problem, would be to go ahead and pay the $4XX to make full payment and not jeopardize losing your desired room, package prices, cabanas, etc. and fight with them later for the overage. Especially if they’re admitting it’s their error. 

I understand your frustration. 

• Like 4

I wonder if this happens to other people might a better course of action be to pay the incorrect amount and then do a chargeback on your credit card.

In issues like this that I have had elsewhere, the credit card company seems to have more sway than individual customers.

This would still be a hassle, but at least you wouldn't risk losing all of your booking.

• Like 3

Sorry this happened, but as others have said, don’t let this spoil your cruise. Try to think positive, it will all work out.

Something like this happened to us, but in reverse.  I had cancelled VOOM on a cruise and rebooked it at a lower price. I do that often…. I noticed royal showed the credit I was to get on my credit card as a payment towards that cruise! I had received the credit already on my card too.  I wanted to technically “overpay” the cruise at final payment because I was afraid they would realize their error and then show that I didn’t pay in full and cancel the cruise.  I couldn’t overpay, so it took a long time for my TA to get it corrected so I could feel secure that it Wouldn’t be cancelled.

This is a hard lesson for you, but one you will remember.  
I would email Michael Bayley and also comment on that other social media group,  more people see that and royal are quicker to respond.

good luck and enjoy your cruise.

Edited by lovesthebeach2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, happy cruzer said:

I wonder if you had put your foot down before making the final payment if they would have fixed it?

The front-line folks can't fix this - it's a known bug in the RCI IT system (reported by several here) and it seems no amount of "putting your foot down" will fix it. The way some have been able to "fix it" is to complain enough to get OBC to cover the extra it cost them to re-purchase the cancelled planner items.

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 3

Pay with American Express.  You can dispute charges up to 6 months after they are posted, and AMEX always sides with their card members.  Re-buy the cancelled beverage, food and excursion packages  at current prices, then after the cruise, dispute them.  If RCI decides to fight the dispute (and they might not) , you will then be dealing with different people that can then correct the prices and even give you proper credit. 

I had an issue with my Feb 2022 Odyssey cruise.  I messaged Royal on their F@ceb@@k page and got a very quick reply.  They asked for 24 hrs to resolve my issue and it was resolved within 12 hours.  This is just another option to try and get the result that you are looking for.  Good Luck and Happy Cruising!

• Like 1

I typically dont have any issues with them as i dont book any extras , but i dont blame you for not pursuing any future cruises with RC.

I would do the same . 

Enjoy your cruise and do email the big guy , who knows what they may do for you.