How long before you Sail, do you start packing.....Any tips on how to make it easy....

BklynBoy8

Going to be Sailing on the QM2 in September we always debate when to start, what to take and how much? Some on another Forum amazed me with their timing.

We will be leaving from a home near the terminal so travel will only be 10-12 minutes to the terminal.

So reading all those embarking and disembarking and excitement building with all soon sailing, what is your advice and thoughts...  

• Like 1

Bear in mind we live near Southampton. If our embarkation time is around midday, as is usually the case, I would start the afternoon before. In the days of QE2, when we usually boarded in time for tea, I would pack on the morning of departure.

Take less than you think you need, but, even if going to the Med. in July, as we hope to be, take one warm cardie or some such. There's nothing worse than feeling cold on a cool evening or if the air conditioning is having a fierce day. You do not need different shoes everyday. And the laundry service is good value.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Going to be Sailing on the QM2 in September we always debate when to start, what to take and how much? Some on another Forum amazed me with their timing.

Dee and I have always made a fun event out of selecting what to bring and packing. Its a way of stretching out the trip for us. About a month before departure we open a bottle of champagne and make an evening of selecting what we are going to wear. I put on my tuxedo, to make sure it still fits and that I remember how to tie a bow tie. Dee tries on and models all the dress/shoe/accessary possibilities for both casual and formal nights. The goal of the evening is to narrow down and select what we will be wearing for each of the 7 nights and what we are going to wear on the plane. A digital picture is taken of each outfit  and stored on one of our phones. Then about a week before departure we layout all of the daytime clothes we plan to bring. Finally, 2 nights before departure we do the actual packing. Of course we each have a large checked bag and a small carry-on bag. Packing night usually turns up some surprises but doing this 2 nights before departing gives us a day to make last minute changes.  Shoes are probably the biggest challenge of packing since they are bulky and take up a lot of space. I try to limit myself to 3 pair and Dee to 4 pair. To make the best use of space we stuff our socks inside of our shoes. 

Probably a case of TMI but I hope this helps.

Jack 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Bear in mind we live near Southampton. If our embarkation time is around midday, as is usually the case, I would start the afternoon before. In the days of QE2, when we usually boarded in time for tea, I would pack on the morning of departure.

Take less than you think you need, but, even if going to the Med. in July, as we hope to be, take one warm cardie or some such. There's nothing worse than feeling cold on a cool evening or if the air conditioning is having a fierce day. You do not need different shoes everyday. And the laundry service is good value.

Thank you exlondoner,

My sediments also. We typical if it doesn't change this year are at the terminal around 1130 and board when the doors open.

DW starts to pack around a week before with items placed on top as others say and then couple of days before iron those things. DW do rely on the using the iron on board and hope is open or will give to the Steward. Ha.... those good old days of the QE2.....

Since we hadn't sailed north for quite awhile to NE/CAN since recent was July we do have to account for those change of Climate. We monitor the weather and trends in the coming weeks and alter the packaging. Yes, DW is extremely lovely all she does but must admit, does take too much.

We are always a where of the A/C on board from past experience in the different parts of the Mary 2. That is taken in account. We started to think of the shoe subject and 2/3 of day are sneakers.

To finish......We do use the Laundry Service where OBC comes in handy..

Edited by BklynBoy8
  • Like 1

If you pack early, you pack often!

We actually have a rail on wheels (like they have in shops), that we assemble in one of the spare bedrooms. If anything gets hung on the rail, then it doesn't get worn before the trip.

The actual packing is always done the day before we leave home.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, newjoisey said:

We always pack the night before and finish in the morning ...no drama 

Snap

As nothing goes back in a wardrobe unless it's washed or dry cleaned, I take things out of the wardrobe and pack the day before. 

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

If you pack early, you pack often!

We actually have a rail on wheels (like they have in shops), that we assemble in one of the spare bedrooms. If anything gets hung on the rail, then it doesn't get worn before the trip.

The actual packing is always done the day before we leave home.

We too do in segments as mentioned.  Suitor is nite before n closed that morning.

Clothing within the 3 to 5 days on top bags.

Thank u

2 hours ago, exlondoner said:

There's nothing worse than feeling cold on a cool evening or if the air conditioning is having a fierce day. 

Exlondoner

Knowing you recently disembark can inform us how the A/C is on Mary 2.

I know they altered it for the pandemic but how is the strength?

We know in past the main rooms can be quite chilly. DW takes a jacket or shawls for restaurants,  theaters and Qx Rm.

Thanks 

We have different times:

1. The planning and

2. The packing

We live in the middle of Germany so we have to travel to Hamburg or Kiel first and sometimes back from Southampton. So the planning to get there and back is the first big plan for us. It is quite funny and interesting and we love to do this. It is part of the trip.

We are packing mostly 3-4 days before the start of the trip and everything is ready the night before we leave from home.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, schattenfell71 said:

It is quite funny and interesting and we love to do this.

We are packing mostly 3-4 days before the start of the trip and everything is ready the night before we leave from home.

Ditto the day before and morning of. Close up morning of.

Have to see if DW thinks it funny....lol....

But we do look forward to T Minus 24 Hours before and counting. We even track her on Marine Traffic and watch how she glides towards NYC Harbor along Long Island

I start making lists weeks (read, months) before the trip, but usually start actually putting things in bags up to a week prior to departure, starting with the miscellaneous stuff (travel toiletries, knitting projects that I'm not working on prior to departure, etc.), and putting things on lists and/or in the suitcase as that week progresses, and then the day or two prior to departure putting the rest of the clothes into the suitcases, after running a last load of laundry if necessary (which it usually is.) 

But yes, I'm a list fiend, and have already got my lists started for my TA in November. I plan outfits, figure out tech and knitting and other miscellaneous bits, figure out what I'm going to wear when (roughly). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, neeuqdrazil said:

I start making lists weeks (read, months) before the trip, but usually start actually putting things in bags up to a week prior to departure, starting with the miscellaneous stuff (travel toiletries, knitting projects that I'm not working on prior to departure, etc.), and putting things on lists and/or in the suitcase as that week progresses, and then the day or two prior to departure putting the rest of the clothes into the suitcases, after running a last load of laundry if necessary (which it usually is.) 

But yes, I'm a list fiend, and have already got my lists started for my TA in November. I plan outfits, figure out tech and knitting and other miscellaneous bits, figure out what I'm going to wear when (roughly). 

DW also Listor........

We seems to jive with the routine with you. We are just attempting to not take Too Much DW admits. We know we will be in a Multi Climate Zones in our Fall.

• Like 1

Jack & Dee - I love the set up you have, what fun.

We are off to Vancouver then Alaska Cruise followed by the Rockies by car, leaving on Sunday. The spare bed has been gathering items for a couple of weeks and today I sorted my formal wear. The clothes are being washed then added to the bed. It's all the extra bits and pieces that take the time to collect up - pegs, magnets, thank you cards, adapters, super glue, lateral flow tests etc etc but I do have a list of these to work from. I will actually pack the cases on Saturday. As already mentioned shoes are the tough decisions and more so this time because of flying and being in Alaska. Packing is still part of the excitement although this time I won't believe we are actually going until we are on the plane.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Exlondoner

Knowing you recently disembark can inform us how the A/C is on Mary 2.

I know they altered it for the pandemic but how is the strength?

We know in past the main rooms can be quite chilly. DW takes a jacket or shawls for restaurants,  theaters and Qx Rm.

Thanks 

I am not on QM2 until next month, but I can certainly tell you then, 😀

• Thanks 1

I used to make lists many years ago but am so used to travelling, I know what to grab and pack for what type of climate. We have certain items such as towel pegs, pegs. clip hangers, a few silk padded hangers for the delicates etc which stay in the case ready for the next time although my Superglue, mozzie spray and anything with a sell by date, after two years plus in the suitcase might need replacing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ukulele girl said:

We are off to Vancouver then Alaska Cruise followed by the Rockies by car, leaving on Sunday. The spare bed has been gathering items for a couple of weeks and today I sorted my formal wear. The clothes are being washed then added to the bed. It's all the extra bits and pieces that take the time to collect up - pegs, magnets, thank you cards, adapters, super glue, lateral flow tests etc etc but I do have a list of these to work from. I will actually pack the cases on Saturday. As already mentioned shoes are the tough decisions and more so this time because of flying and being in Alaska. Packing is still part of the excitement although this time I won't believe we are actually going until we are on the plane.

What is the superglue for? If you have a very nice time, are you going to glue yourself to the ship so they can't disembark you?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I pack the night befoe setting off but my suits and shirts will be on a clothes rail ready for packing up to two weeks before that. Anything thing that will fit in the case flat will already be in the case.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

What is the superglue for? If you have a very nice time, are you going to glue yourself to the ship so they can't disembark you?

Haven't you every snagged a nail, finger or toe,  whilst on holiday?

Superglue is the fix for broken nails as well as, for example,  suitcases which have had a gouge taken out of it. Many  a time its come to our rescue for some minor 'surgery'.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ukulele girl said:

Very Good Listing....

4 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Superglue is the fix for broken nails as well as, for example,  suitcases which have had a gouge taken out of it. Many  a time its come to our rescue for some minor 'surgery'.

Dear Mom ditto this too!!

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

I don't have those sort of nails. An emery board suffices.

• Like 2