EZ Air WARNING!!!! Early Ticketing Causes Fees???!!!!

dreaminofcruisin

early ticketing allows you to upgrade using your own airline points for specific airlines before all the seats are filled...but if you want to change your flights then you are charged a fee

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, ken_ll said:

There is no advantage to early ticketing.  Early ticketing impacts the opportunity to change flights (price drops) up to the 45 days before cruise.

Actually from my experience there is an advantage if you’re on an American Airlines flight. You can’t select your seats until the flight has been ticketed (aka paid for). You can with Delta beforehand, but not with AA. 

But at the same time, we have never had to pay an extra fee to simply pay for the flight earlier than when Princess was planning to pay for it. 

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, trvlwrld said:

you can pick your AA seats at booking IF the flight is not a code share...I always look for the non-code share flight (they usually run $75-150 more) 

When we initially booked our flights through EXAir, we asked them to assign seat numbers and they did. However, when our multi-leg AA flight changed, the seats disappeared and it was on us to get them reassigned. And you guessed it, AA would only assign seat numbers IF the flight had been actually ticketed (paid for). BTW I don’t know what non-code share means. 

45 minutes ago, dreaminofcruisin said:

For those of you who have been following this you tuber saga of her EZ air fligths....she posted another video this morning from someone being charged $840 after requesting early ticketing online with no option to back out..... 🥴

How do you even request early ticketing online in your Personalizer using the Princess website under the Travel section? Just curious.

3 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

When we initially booked our flights through EXAir, we asked them to assign seat numbers and they did. However, when our multi-leg AA flight changed, the seats disappeared and it was on us to get them reassigned. And you guessed it, AA would only assign seat numbers IF the flight had been actually ticketed (paid for). BTW I don’t know what non-code share means. 

Not a fan of AA booking outside their own website. I booked a trip on AA Vacations, picked seats, hotel room class etc.  Got closer to the date and was checking the flight times to make sure they hadn't changed and we had NO seat assignment.  Oh and the premium seats I had picked and thought we paid for- they told us no, so we had to pay more to get the seats we wanted.  Totally a bait and switch, so I don't trust them at all.  Who would know AAVacations (from their site) is not American Airlines.  

We are booked coming home on AA and I have checked my flight and seats at least once a week.  

11 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

You can select seats on unticketed flights on American using the Personalizer. Just click "Add or Modify Flights", then click "Request Seats". Must be done on a desktop machine. The option isn't available on mobile for some reason.

Edited by hapster85
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

How do you even request early ticketing online in your Personalizer using the Princess website under the Travel section? Just curious.

If you go into your cruise, go to "Flights", click "Add or Modify Flights" it comes up with 4 buttons:

Change Flights / Request Seats/ Request Early Ticketing / Cancel Flights

I have never tried it. I was thinking about it...but have had so many problems already with my flights that now I think I will just wait for them to ticket and bug them if they don't do it in a timely fashion....

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dar & Bob said:

Not a fan of AA booking outside their own website. I booked a trip on AA Vacations, picked seats, hotel room class etc.  Got closer to the date and was checking the flight times to make sure they hadn't changed and we had NO seat assignment.  Oh and the premium seats I had picked and thought we paid for- they told us no, so we had to pay more to get the seats we wanted.  Totally a bait and switch, so I don't trust them at all.  Who would know AAVacations (from their site) is not American Airlines.  

We are booked coming home on AA and I have checked my flight and seats at least once a week.  

I agree. We much prefer to fly with Delta if we are given a choice.

6 minutes ago, dreaminofcruisin said:

If you go into your cruise, go to "Flights", click "Add or Modify Flights" it comes up with 4 buttons:

Change Flights / Request Seats/ Request Early Ticketing / Cancel Flights

I have never tried it. I was thinking about it...but have had so many problems already with my flights that now I think I will just wait for them to ticket and bug them if they don't do it in a timely fashion....

Thanks. That explains why we have never seen the link as we usually contact the EZAir folks if we want to pay early, especially if we have already PIF. 

16 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

If it is code share (an airline sharing routes, ticketing, mileage program accural, etc with each other)

…will see example….DL5557 operated by Air France.  So it has a DL flight number but is operated by AF.  So, seating rules would be by the operating carrier.  
If course if you’re flying AF, you would check in at AF on their website, etc.

Otherwise, you’ll just see the DL flight number, operated by Delta. 

14 minutes ago, Dar & Bob said:

The reason your seats disappeared, most likely a schedule change.  If the flight changed, it probably was a different aircraft type.  Seats you originally had were not available on this different airplane.  If they were available, it would have assigned those, if not it searches for similar seats, if those are not available, it will not assign seats.  This is done by a computer program. 
Anytime there is a schedule change on your flights…..check your seats and the flight details on the airline website, even if it is a minor change.  The aircraft may have changed.

Also, schedule changes go to the agency’s computer to advise you.  Sometimes the agent may be busy and take a while to get it to you. 
I always keep an eye on my flights & seats.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

The reason your seats disappeared, most likely a schedule change.  If the flight changed, it probably was a different aircraft type.  Seats you originally had were not available on this different airplane.  If they were available, it would have assigned those, if not it searches for similar seats, if those are not available, it will not assign seats.  This is done by a computer program. 
Anytime there is a schedule change on your flights…..check your seats and the flight details on the airline website, even if it is a minor change.  The aircraft may have changed.

Also, schedule changes go to the agency’s computer to advise you.  Sometimes the agent may be busy and take a while to get it to you. 
I always keep an eye on my flights & seats.

Actually that was not the case no changes to the flights whatsoever.  When I spoke with the American Airlines rep they told me that the seats selected on AA Vacations are just for reference.  That the seat assignments don't go to AA and that this has been a "known issue" for sometime and then they have to deal with the upset passenger.  As I said I will not trust flights on AA anymore.  

Edited by Dar & Bob

I am curious since we booked EZAir for an upcoming trip if anyone knows where this is in T&C or the contract.  I would think they would have to disclose it to charge it to your account.  I just looked at mine and see nothing about requesting ticketing at all.  

1 minute ago, Dar & Bob said:

Actually that was not the case.  When I spoke with the American Airlines rep they told me that the seats selected on AA Vacations are just for reference.  That the seat assignments don't go to AA and that this has been a "known issue" for sometime and then they have to deal with the upset passenger.  As I said I will not trust flights on AA anymore.  

I think the issue is with AA Vacations. I usually fly AA and have yet to have a seating issue BUT I am an AA frequent flyer and manage my flights weekly to watch for plane and time changes. Flying on BA is another challenge as they do not assign confirmed seats until check-in unless you are high in their program tiers. 

If that was a change fee...it's new.

Pre-shutdown, I requested early ticketing because the airline wouldn't assign a "comfort" seat (upgrade for more legroom) until the ticket was paid for. There was no additional charge, with the exception of the charge for the "comfort" seat.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dar & Bob said:

Actually that was not the case no changes to the flights whatsoever.  When I spoke with the American Airlines rep they told me that the seats selected on AA Vacations are just for reference.  That the seat assignments don't go to AA and that this has been a "known issue" for sometime and then they have to deal with the upset passenger.  As I said I will not trust flights on AA anymore.  

That’s crazy.  You either assign the seats or you don’t.

Did you happen to go on the AA website to see if the seats were assigned?

Edited by PacnGoNow

20 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

That’s crazy.  You either assign the seats or you don’t.

Did you happen to go on the AA website to see if the seats were assigned?

I did and since there were multiple legs -some were some weren't and of course a couple of them were "premium" so we had to pay on AA's site.  My thought was that extral should have been included at the time of booking.  Needless to say I am cautious of what I now know to be a 3rd party site.  We had a great trip even though it cost us a little more in the end.  I really wouldn't have had a problem paying for the seats but I should have been notified.  

I hope someone can clarity where these fees are stated when you book EZAir.  I think most of us are okay paying for "extras" if we are notified that they exist.  I've been looking at my booking and see nothing to indicate there would be a fee.  I would think if you ask to be ticketed you would forfeit any changes and refunds but that should be it if you are after final payment. 

• Thanks 1

My suspicion is that this is another 'bug' in their system. Likely the person who had the problem was the result of the booked flight no longer being an option (or an increased price) and the coding behind it isn't correct, so it tried to rebook before ticketing. I am guessing they will get it straightened out by calling and waiting on hold for 5 hours for EZ Air. However, my experience is that you have to get to the '2nd level' of EZ Air which they seem reluctant to do if you aren't cruising sometime really soon---like perhaps the next week or so. The 1st person you get with EZ Air seems to only be able to see the same thing we see.....and not very willing to get you to that 2nd level.

Sad to see.....we have used EZ Air many times without an issue. I 'get' that there are a lot of flight changes, but it seems like EZ Air isn't honoring the commitments like price protection unless you are really close to sailing which is not the way it has always worked in the past.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dreaminofcruisin said:

My suspicion is that this is another 'bug' in their system. Likely the person who had the problem was the result of the booked flight no longer being an option (or an increased price) and the coding behind it isn't correct, so it tried to rebook before ticketing. I am guessing they will get it straightened out by calling and waiting on hold for 5 hours for EZ Air. However, my experience is that you have to get to the '2nd level' of EZ Air which they seem reluctant to do if you aren't cruising sometime really soon---like perhaps the next week or so. The 1st person you get with EZ Air seems to only be able to see the same thing we see.....and not very willing to get you to that 2nd level.

Sad to see.....we have used EZ Air many times without an issue. I 'get' that there are a lot of flight changes, but it seems like EZ Air isn't honoring the commitments like price protection unless you are really close to sailing which is not the way it has always worked in the past.

Or the person who wanted early ticketing…did modify flights by mistake?

Then asked for early ticketing?

Her video (click bait) brings up several questions:

1. Did he select modify 

2. Was he within 45 days

3. Why wasn't he advised to go onto AA's website to secure seats

4. Ticketing does not mean the flight will not change as flights are being continually  modified (ie: canceled, rerouted, reassigned)

5. Does she know that the charge comes from the airlines and EZAIR just passes it along?

6. Was it just a mis-speak when she said in 1 place the increase was 840 and in another 140?

7. Did he choose aisle seats which carry a surcharge on the airline site?

Yet another case where an ordinary traveler (me) can punch holes in her video. No I'm not subscribing

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 4