Emerald Princess British Isles COVID.

majortom10

6 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

And  you are totally entitled to that point of view, as I am to mine.

Covid however is not a thing of the past, just ask the families of those who have died from it recently.

This is part of the problem ...good example here in the back and forth. One person sets forth their experience and another comes along with a different experience. But instead of just accepting that there are different experiences and perspectives the second is more or less questioning the first and in a way attempting to discredit them.  "Covid is a thing of the past" is simply not a smart or accurate statement but that is an opinion. I suspect it is a common theme among travelers out there right now.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, mnocket said:

45 cases in the USA, no deaths and it's not easily transmitted, and they are recommending masks?

Unless you are a trained doctor, your thoughts and opinion on the matter are irrelevant to everyone other than yourself.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

Unless you are a trained doctor, your thoughts and opinion on the matter are irrelevant to everyone other than yourself.

Just for information your avatar picture is a distant relative of mine from a couple of generations back.

James Henderson Finlayson from Stirlingshire  - right?

• Like 1

We have just returned from an excellent cruise on Princess. Hardly any passengers wore masks, there was no social distancing of any kind,  and we had a great time.  Similarly,  when we were ashore (France, Italy, Greece etc) masks were not worn, and again no distancing in bars,  museums etc.

It strikes me that for anyone  wanting a risk free holiday, cruising is not really the holiday  for them. 

1 minute ago, Eglesbrech said:

Just for information your avatar picture is a distant relative of mine from a couple of generations back.

James Henderson Finlayson from Stirlingshire  - right?

Yes, I'm a lifelong fan of Jimmy's work with Hal Roach Studios.

Here he is on a ship!

1887816975_ScreenShot2022-06-11at11_24_45AM.thumb.png.a768df3985178a14e55b43bdda2bdaf7.png

• Like 2

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

We have just returned from an excellent cruise on Princess. Hardly any passengers wore masks, there was no social distancing of any kind,  and we had a great time.  Similarly,  when we were ashore (France, Italy, Greece etc) masks were not worn, and again no distancing in bars,  museums etc.

It strikes me that for anyone  wanting a risk free holiday, cruising is not really the holiday  for them. 

That sounds great...glad you had such a good experience and I fully agree with your last statement...although there is no such thing as "risk free" anything but each traveler can do their risk/benefit analysis to decide if and how to travel these days.

Just now, CineGraphic said:

Yes, I'm a lifelong fan of Jimmy's work with Hal Roach Studios.

Here he is on a ship!

1887816975_ScreenShot2022-06-11at11_24_45AM.thumb.png.a768df3985178a14e55b43bdda2bdaf7.png

That’s so nice. Most of my male relatives are Jimmy, Jim, Jamie or James.

Most did not move further than a few miles away from Kinnaird, he was the exception. My great Grandfather was the factor at Kinnaird.

I moved away but my husbands family roots are still there.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, wowzz said:

So you accept my figures then (in spite of altering your post after the fact)?

1 hour ago, kathy49 said:

Clearly recent reports they are almost at full capacity despite outbreaks of covid and lack of staff.

What a great combination. The liners need money to get out of their debt hole and will do what is needed at the expense of service and safety. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

So you accept my figures then (in spite of altering your post after the fact)?

@insidecabin stated that maximum capacity is 4600. You stated that there were 3525 passengers on board. That does not equate to 99%.

Just now, wowzz said:

@insidecabin stated that maximum capacity is 4600. You stated that there were 3525 passengers on board. That does not equate to 99%.

That’s not the normal max as you are perfectly well aware Wozz.

You are also mis quoting inside cabin.

At least try to be honest when you are wrong. And you are wrong.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eglesbrech said:

That’s not the normal max as you are perfectly well aware Wozz.

You are also mis quoting inside cabin.

At least try to be honest when you are wrong. And you are wrong.

I accept that the cruise was very full.

However, the point to be discussed is what is the maximum passenger capacity of the ship. You are saying the capacity is 3560.

If 3525 is 99% of the maximum capacity of the ship, I accept I am wrong. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AZ Gurl said:

We are on Emerald now. Was very surprised at just how quickly Covid spread throughout the ship. Two of our extended travel group are in quarantine and yesterday our neighbors in the next cabin were picked up and moved. We will likely avoid cruising until things calm down. 

Why are you surprised until the Captain made his announcement very few were wearing masks round the ship. In everyone's cabin on embarkation was a letter recommending masks in theatre and in tenders yet very few wore them and Princess crammed the tenders like sardines. It is no great shock to be in the position we are on now and have been expecting it to happen.

• Like 2

We all know(or should) that standard capacity is based on 2pax occupancy.

Max capacity is all berths upto ship limits of max persons on board.

That's why cruise lines traditional capacity records would 100%+ in the annual reports.

Some lines are exceeding 100% on some cruises and Princess is up there.

My experience pre and post covid is (big) ships work well around 70% over that they start to feel crowded.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Why are you surprised until the Captain made his announcement very few were wearing masks round the ship. In everyone's cabin on embarkation was a letter recommending masks in theatre and in tenders yet very few wore them and Princess crammed the tenders like sardines. It is no great shock to be in the position we are on now and have been expecting it to happen.

My shock was at how many people were clearly acutely ill and showing symptoms about 3 days into the cruise. Saw this coming a long time before the captain made his announcement yesterday. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, fishnchips said:

Maybe you caught it at the airport ....on the plane ....anywhere, but  C did not show up until now ...

I bet the test was before you flew in ? 

and so many infections means the test to get on board is pointless ....or was it from the last ports you visited ...again pointless testing ...

Agree totally that testing at this time is pointless. Covid will continue to tear through cruise ships in its current iteration. This is why I will take land based trips until things improve. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, AZ Gurl said:

My shock was at how many people were clearly acutely ill and showing symptoms about 3 days into the cruise. Saw this coming a long time before the captain made his announcement yesterday. 

But when you could have test to prove negativity of COVID 3 days before you get on ship and many no doubt got onboard with negative tests but obviously had COVID caught in those 3 days. I agree I am surprised it took so long for the announcement, every lift has a sign outside saying recommend max of 6 but everyone ignored it.

3 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Is Princess now allowing passengers that test positive to quarantine in the cabins they paid for rather than moving them to one in an isolated area of the ship?

I was wondering the same thing @ Ken the Cruiser.

Original post-

We are on the Island Princess now and mask are required in all public settings, no sitting at bars, and I am sure there will be quite a few sick ones when we reach London.  You walk down the halls and the little tables they have outside the cabins where passengers have Covid keep increasing daily.  

Nice ambience when you walk by red bio-hazard waste bags in the hall ways and empty styrofoam food containers.  

Cruising is really not much fun when you have to be on constant alert about Covid.  We will be canceling our 4 cruises we have booked this year on Princess and spend our money on vacations that are much lower risk for contacting Covid than cruising.  The inconsiderate and "the rules do not apply to me" passengers do not help the situation either.  

Edited by arizonaperson
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, AZ Gurl said:

Agree totally that testing at this time is pointless. Covid will continue to tear through cruise ships in its current iteration. This is why I will take land based trips until things improve. 

I think what sealed the land based deal to me is videos people have been taking of the waiting areas..the line ups and worst of all people coughing and sneezing in the middle of the dining room...not covering their mouth or even attempting to do so.  There are these people everywhere but at least on land you can isolate yourself better. I was surprised at how close the tables were placed on the ship. On land for spring/summer and fall outdoor dining is a great option...often I can go and NEVER  eat inside. Many attribute their contact to dining room and ship excursions.  Unless you get room service on a ship and dine on your balcony don't think full meals are served outside. Anyway everyone has a choice

21 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

But when you could have test to prove negativity of COVID 3 days before you get on ship and many no doubt got onboard with negative tests but obviously had COVID caught in those 3 days. I agree I am surprised it took so long for the announcement, every lift has a sign outside saying recommend max of 6 but everyone ignored it.

those rapid tests miss some ++...full PCR is better but not required. Some came on ship with covid and some got it onboard. Unless you mandale masks/distancing and patrol it unfortunately many will just do their own thing and ignore.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

Wow, only took the CDC 48hrs to decide to retract their guidance.  It's refreshing to see any government agency admit a mistake.

CDC removes mask recommendation from monkeypox travel alert: 4 updates (beckershospitalreview.com)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kathy49 said:

But instead of just accepting that there are different experiences and perspectives the second is more or less questioning the first and in a way attempting to discredit them.  

That is true of every even-slightly negative post here.

The are some folks who just can't bear anything about their cruise baby.

• Like 2