Carnival tips too high

timbom

6 minutes ago, SwordBlazer Cruising said:

Is there this much discussion when you go to a reasturant with a group of 5 or 6 and they automatically add 18% to your bill? Or when you get a coffee at the "bucks" or lunch counter and they flip that iPad around and you see boxes w tip amounts.

Seems to be cruises, buffets,  or places like Disney where parents are surprised that kids count in the party number.  

3 minutes ago, Purvis1231 said:

How many people actually tip cash? When I sail next week, I am going to do an observational study and see how many cash tips I can observe by the pool bars during a busy seaday afternoon.

I will give my room steward 20-30$ right when I see him. I've always had good service and requests for things always go answered. Then another $20 at the end.

On the last day, we will give some cash to our dining staff and if a certain bartender was good to us (heavy pours, fast service etc). 

Although I have seen people leave cash, usually a dollar or two at the bar, I don't see it that often. Maybe once or twice a cruise.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, pc_load_letter said:

I will give my room steward 20-30$ right when I see him. I've always had good service and requests for things always go answered. Then another $20 at the end.

On the last day, we will give some cash to our dining staff and if a certain bartender was good to us (heavy pours, fast service etc). 

Although I have seen people leave cash, usually a dollar or two at the bar, I don't see it that often. Maybe once or twice a cruise.

I pay my auto-tips and then give extra tips at the end- sometimes in cash and sometime on my account. And from time to time give a little cash for soda since I get the bubbles package. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Purvis1231 said:

I pay my auto-tips and then give extra tips at the end- sometimes in cash and sometime on my account. And from time to time give a little cash for soda since I get the bubbles package. 

You paid 18% when you purchased the bubbles package. I think that is enough. I wish everything they added the 18% to they just sell you that with it already added. Why tack it on? Guess to make you think you are paying less for that item. That is like the 9/10 of a cent for a gal of gas. How many realize you have been charged a penny for every gal of gas you ever purchased. No one sees it anymore.

21 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

You paid 18% when you purchased the bubbles package. I think that is enough. I wish everything they added the 18% to they just sell you that with it already added. Why tack it on? Guess to make you think you are paying less for that item. That is like the 9/10 of a cent for a gal of gas. How many realize you have been charged a penny for every gal of gas you ever purchased. No one sees it anymore.

But you don't pay 18% of the cost each beverage like those charging individual drinks  

On 6/12/2022 at 9:50 AM, timbom said:

Have recently taken cruises on RCL and Holland where tip structure is same as on Carnival but on these lines receive far better service. 

But what about the cruise fare? It's much higher on those other cruise lines than Carnival... that's where the extra service is coming from...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SwordBlazer Cruising said:

When I go to a coffee shop, pick up my own pizza, takeout etc as soon as I stick my CC in the machine, iPad or cc terminal there is always a " Would you like to tip screen" 

We Americans are hard wired. 
Whenever we see a palm extended, our arm is spring loaded to reach for cash. 
It’s just plain stupid!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SwordBlazer Cruising said:

When I go to a coffee shop, pick up my own pizza, takeout etc as soon as I stick my CC in the machine, iPad or cc terminal there is always a " Would you like to tip screen" 

And you responded how?

Edited by Bgwest

2 minutes ago, Bgwest said:

It’s just plain stupid!!

Totally agree. A cash tip or added tip on the receipt on top of 18% You must have money you no longer want. 

5 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Totally agree. A cash tip or added tip on the receipt on top of 18% You must have money you no longer want. 

That's one way to look at it.  Another way is that the ship's crew were hit especially hard by COVID, with some being unemployed for well over a year.  Giving that extra dollar is not going to harm me, and it may very well help them.  So I try to be a little more generous, but not a sucker.  We recently rented a Loft 19 Cabana for a week and the automatic tip was $270.  So when the attendants came around on the last day looking for an additional tip, we simply said we enjoyed it and thanked them.  

40 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

For what reason. They squirt soda in a glass or pop open a can and give you a glass with ice. 

Because when you tip regularly and you came back, you get the can, opened or not, as you wish.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

That 18% is $1.71 per day gratuities total so divide that $1.71 between sodas.  That is for the adult Bubbles.  For kids, the daily grat is $1.25 divides by however many sodas they get and seeing how some are bouncing off the walls,  a dozen cans a day so about 10 cents tip.  That is why bartenders service paying guests first.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bgwest said:

It’s just plain stupid!!

When I see someone actually working, instead of pretending to work, I think they deserve more than a below living wage.

• Like 2

Tips are like food. Everyone has there own taste. Every will tip EXTRA or not. That is how life is. If you do not like what you are getting paid. Go get a different job that pays more. I am not the one to help someone's employee get a higher pay. Most but not all of us did just that in our lives. You move up the ladder IF you want to. Your choice no one else's.

27 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Tips are like food. Everyone has there own taste. Every will tip EXTRA or not. That is how life is. If you do not like what you are getting paid. Go get a different job that pays more. I am not the one to help someone's employee get a higher pay. Most but not all of us did just that in our lives. You move up the ladder IF you want to. Your choice no one else's.

But you are...every cruise we book helps TAs, PVPs, CDs, Carnival Executives, etc get a higher pay in terms of booking incentives, onboard spending, bonuses.. 

2 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

For what reason. They squirt soda in a glass or pop open a can and give you a glass with ice. 

Because it's the right thing to do. 

Because someone is serving you, and that's how one traditionally shows their appreciation.

Because I'm blessed with the ability to afford a cruise and that extra dollar isn't going to break me.

This whole thread really makes me weep for society in general.  The fact that grown adults with enough money to afford hundreds or thousands of dollars to cruise are literally basing their tipping on what they THINK people make or "deserve" just blows my mind. 

Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I don't think it's any of my (or your) business how much your steward or bartender earns.  It's not any of our business how Carnival distributes gratuities.  It's not any of our business how long someone's contract is.  When you go to a restaurant, do you interview your server to find out how tips are split?  How much they make?  How long they've worked there?

Seriously, what on Earth is wrong with people? 😔

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

53 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

A better-paying job is not often an option in many of the countries from which the ship crews originate.  If it was, those folks would most likely opt to stay in country with their families.  I'm happy to contribute to the well-beings of those families with both automatic and additional gratuities.   

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Holy cow.  This thread is terrifying.  

In general, the service industry for Americans (and yes I mean for American customers) pays below a minimum wage, and expects customers to bridge the gap (or more) with gratuities.  It's not a great system, and I totally understand anyone who has a problem with it.

But...

If you don't like it, don't do business with anyone who pays like this.  Lobby the industry or government to change it.

If you are going to do business with these companies, understand that your servers rely on you to make a living, and your tips really determine if these folks can feed their families or not.

DO NOT have a "moral" objection to this method after services are rendered, then say "oh this is a garbage system/I object/Get a better job" and then leave no tip. That's not changing the system, punishing Carnival or otherwise fixing anything.  It's just violating the trust of everyone who thought you were participating, and it's being ok with the idea that you essentially do not plan on paying them for their services.  

(Let me be specific, I'm only targeting the non-tippers here.  I'm not speaking to people who choose to tip in cash, choose not to add extra, tip in a way they feel more appropriate,  etc etc.)

Edited by Indytraveler83
  • Like 9

3 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Some people appreciate fast service, smiling face, a nice "hi, how are you today". Some know that this guy has been working since 7am and will be working the majority of the day so that I can stuff my face with burgers and get sloshed on long island ice teas and have a clean bathroom and bed to crash on at the end of the day.

Tipping is personal. That's really all there is to it.

Just now, mz-s said:

Well if you want to get technical that is public information since Walmart is a publicly traded company. But we aren't talking about how much I pay for a gallon of milk and how much of that goes to health insurance or whatever. We're talking about where the tips and gratuities I give goes - what is the breakdown. I am entitled to know how they are divvied up.

No, no you're not.  You just think you are.  Again, that's private business between employer and employee, not customer.  That's the problem with people today - everyone feels "entitled".  I don't think that word means what you think it means.  It means someone owes it to you.  Not that you deserve it because you want it.  No one owes you anything.

• Like 1