Caribbean Private Island Beach Experience Needed

Cap_D

We'd like to see Celebrity have an itinerary that stops at a private island perhaps even parts of Coco Cay on its Caribbean cruises. The beach areas in Nassau and Costa Maya (roaming dogs) don't compare with even some of the least picturesque beaches in the United States.  There are far nicer beaches that one can stay on in the Caribbean for the same price as a Celebrity Cruise. As best we can tell, none of the other large format ship cruise lines lack a private island and beach experience, although they also frequent Nassau and Costa Maya.

6 hours ago, Cap_D said:

We'd like to see Celebrity have an itinerary that stops at a private island perhaps even parts of Coco Cay on its Caribbean cruises. The beach areas in Nassau and Costa Maya (roaming dogs) don't compare with even some of the least picturesque beaches in the United States.  There are far nicer beaches that one can stay on in the Caribbean for the same price as a Celebrity Cruise. As best we can tell, none of the other large format ship cruise lines lack a private island and beach experience, although they also frequent Nassau and Costa Maya.

Ahh OK.

• Like 2

We personally like these beach days as a sea day alternative.  Some are better than others, but they are not for everyone.   IMO, the best one is Half Moon Cay, but that's a HAL stop.  We like the large beautiful beach and the ability to walk to the more distant quieter areas.

I guess they could use Coco Cay.  We have not been there since it was "upgraded" by RCI.  I suspect it may be too much of a theme park atmosphere for us.

PreCovid we took a taxi to the nicest beach we could find on whatever island we stopped in. Often, we’d get day passes at all inclusive resorts instead. 

Im not a fan of the private island, WallyBeachWorld experience with 4,000 cruisers trompling around. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cap_D said:

I am sure that Celebrity will get right on that. In fact, I read somewhere that this is the number one priority among X execs. One thought is for RCCL/Celebrity to buy the island of Antigua and it's 365 beaches. Many of these beaches are some of the most beautiful in the Caribbean, and the world. These beaches would be divided into two groups. The most beautiful beaches for the most beautiful people. The least beautiful, more secluded beaches would welcome other passengers. A panel of experts on each ship would determine who goes where. 

Cruise excursions and expectations are certainly evolving. I know that I can't wait to relax and enjoy Antigua's loveliest strands of sands. Anyone else?      

• Haha 3

Celebrity stopped using Labadee because people favored an actual port day over a 'private island' day. It's a given that RCI will always have priority at Coco Cay. If you're searching for your perfect beach on a Celebrity cruise, you will need to get in a cab and find one independently. 

1 hour ago, mfs2k said:

PreCovid we took a taxi to the nicest beach we could find on whatever island we stopped in. Often, we’d get day passes at all inclusive resorts instead. 

Im not a fan of the private island, WallyBeachWorld experience with 4,000 cruisers trompling around. 

This is the way to do it. We use Resort for a Day and have always had an easy time.

• Like 1

HAL's Half Moon Cay is excellent, especially if yours is the only ship there that day.  I do wish Celebrity had a competing product.  They tried with Labadee but that apparently wasn't very popular.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, davy jones said:

We personally like these beach days as a sea day alternative.  Some are better than others, but they are not for everyone.   IMO, the best one is Half Moon Cay, but that's a HAL stop.  We like the large beautiful beach and the ability to walk to the more distant quieter areas.

I guess they could use Coco Cay.  We have not been there since it was "upgraded" by RCI.  I suspect it may be too much of a theme park atmosphere for us.

Exactly.  Many of the Celebrity Caribbean itineraries don't include stops with large beautiful beaches.  There's no way that the beaches at Costa Maya (with wild dogs and shanty beach clubs for as far as the eye can see) and Nassau (e.g., the Blue Lagoon place that looks like it belongs at a Six Flags in the early 90s) could be considered large, beautiful, or convenient.  At least the beach areas at Coco Cay are actually sand without debris, kept up, modern amenities, etc.  There's even an adult area.  Celebrity has none of that at many of its ports of call.  And, Atlantis doesn't count, and already has its own occupants.  We also have no interest in the RCL ship product at the moment due to their room design  (and lack of anything close to a luxury experience for a cost is a turnoff).  That said, we'd take a day at the beach on CocoCay over a stop at Costa Maya or anything similar.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cap_D said:

Exactly.  Many of the Celebrity Caribbean itineraries don't include stops with large beautiful beaches.  There's no way that the beaches at Costa Maya (with wild dogs and shanty beach clubs for as far as the eye can see) and Nassau (e.g., the Blue Lagoon place that looks like it belongs at a Six Flags in the early 90s) could be considered large, beautiful, or convenient.  At least the beach areas at Coco Cay are actually sand without debris, kept up, modern amenities, etc.  There's even an adult area.  Celebrity has none of that at many of its ports of call.  And, Atlantis doesn't count, and already has its own occupants.  We also have no interest in the RCL ship product at the moment due to their room design  (and lack of anything close to a luxury experience for a cost is a turnoff).  That said, we'd take a day at the beach on CocoCay over a stop at Costa Maya or anything similar.  

My Celebrity Beyond cruise this year goes to Bermuda, Curaçao and Aruba. Maybe you should be focusing on the ports first before you book cruises to where the wild things roam. 

We are Celebrity fans and would also like an inventory that includes a beach day at a private island. I think the problem is that many of those stops have added activities, with some for additional $ (water slides, etc.) that a large number of Celebrity cruisers are unlikely to access. 

I'm in the "take it or leave it" crowd when it comes to the private islands.  I'm not much for just hanging out at a beach all day, and anything else on these areas are pretty much what I ought to be able to get on the ship.  The only time we've ever enjoyed the "private island" day is when we were on the Paul Gauguin (and THAT was a good time!)

We pretty much just stay on the ship, so it's something of a throwaway port day for us.  As long as they keep the ship open, I suppose I won't care all that much!

We see it as a plus point that Celebrity don't do the private island thing, it would be a wasted day for us, fortunately there seem to be cruise lines out there that suit all of our different needs.