Celebrity dodges Covid claims that were promised

mauicruiser

Apex 4/30 transatlantic.  Eight days onboard and I got Covid.  Quarantined for 11 days.  Now asking for some reimbursement.  Was advised I would be contacted by Celebrity.  Didn’t happen.  Called 6 days ago and was on hold for 1 hour 40 minutes.  Spoke with Joe in engagement center. Had to send Covid letter from medical onboard.  Told I would receive callback on Monday re verification.  No callback.  Tuesday call again, almost 2 hours on hold.  Spoke with Pat.  She needed travel partners info.  I advised my travel agent they would be calling her to confirm booking.  They have not called.  Said she would call back today.  Hasn’t happened so am back on hold at Celebrity, 50 minutes so far.

Just spoke with Jen in Engagement who advised Pat has gone home. She tells me Pat will call me back within 24 to 48 hours.

Celebrity promised that they would “insure” that cruisers would be compensated if they developed Covid.  They are doing everything possible to avoid honoring that.  I was vaccinated, boosted, and had a negative test when I boarded.  Eight days at sea and I have Covid.  I was in solitary quarantine for 11 days.  My husband was moved to separate cabin, tested daily for 5 days (all negative)and not permitted to dine in any venue so relegated to room service for 10 days.
I have spent more than 6 hours on hold. I have been promised call backs twice.  I have provided all the documentation they requested.  They have not followed through.  I am really disappointed in Celebrity.  

It’s no wonder more passengers don’t bother notifying medical with minor symptoms. Good luck OP, I hope all your persistence pays off eventually but agree that you shouldn’t have to go through all this frustration to get what you deserve. 

• Like 1

I’m sorry you got Covid and hope you have fully recovered.  
I don’t think Celebrity is intentionally trying to avoid reimbursing guests who tested positive before or during their cruise.  They are short staffed and while having added staff those are new hires and have a steep learning curve.  Even simple refunds are taking a long time, we had a $100 incorrect charge to our on board account in mid April.  We received the refund to our credit card yesterday. 
I would turn this over to my Travel Agent to chase, that is one of the reasons we use a TA we don’t have to sit on hold.

• Thanks 1

I am sorry to read your post and most of all the lack of reply from Celebrity. To go through so much only to be ignored by Celebrity is AWFUL.

If you used a TA, I would include them in this. I would also challenge charges to your credit cards if you see the need.

I know they must be overwhelmed, but why are they and others booking to capacity if they cannot handle the previous and current challenges?

Please keep us posted and wishing you the best in dealing with this line.

The more I read, the less likely I need to be near any cruise ship until there is more effective management on the part of cruise lines-Celebrity in point for this discussion.

• Like 1

I  tested positive on 4/29 on Silhouette  but was on the second leg of a B3B.    My case was a bit more complicated as I was tossed on the ship and had to quarantine in the U.K.and cancelled my 3rd cruise.

Basically for me since our cruise was prior to May 1 (new rules apply).   I was told I would receive 1 day prorated for the one day I was in Isolation plus 5 days at up to $250 per day for hotel plus up to  $100 per person per day (with submission of receipts) and transportation.  

Like you I was never contacted but made contact with Engagement Center (2 1/2 weeks ago).  In my case everything about my cancellation and days in isolation were already in their system     So far I've received reimbursement for the pro rated days in isolation, AirBnB, Food and Car for 5 days.   The only thing I haven't received is the reimbursement of about $18,000 for the cancelled cruise but have received the Port and Taxes before I even got home.

The refunds have been coming back in drips and drabs and received the with the reimbursement for the pro rated day in Isolation just arriving yesterday.  

My timeline is to give you some idea of how things are slowly working their way through the system.

• Thanks 1

Update:  today my travel agent heard from Celebrity.  They gave her the reimbursement amount.  I should have it credited back to my credit card within 30 days I’m told.  It seems fair.  Just wish it had been handled better.  Oh I really wish I hadn’t gotten Covid!

Be careful and stay safe cruisers.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mauicruiser said:

Update:  today my travel agent heard from Celebrity.  They gave her the reimbursement amount.  I should have it credited back to my credit card within 30 days I’m told.  It seems fair.  Just wish it had been handled better.  Oh I really wish I hadn’t gotten Covid!

Be careful and stay safe cruisers.

How did  Celebrity know you were sick on board? Were you randomly tested ? 

2 hours ago, mauicruiser said:

They gave her the reimbursement amount.  I should have it credited back to my credit card within 30 days I’m told.  It seems fair.

If the TA has been given the money, why can’t they credit it to your credit card immediately?
In the days when there was a decent interest rate, I heard about TA’s holding on to payments, before they transferred it to CelebrityCruises. Now however, there is no advantage to keeping  the money and should be sent to the passenger immediately.

Edited by upwarduk

What phone number are you calling ? we were also on the Apex TA
we have not heard back from our emails about the treatment on the cruise 

My wife spend 9 days in quarantine before getting off in Amsterdam 

They only made eat and drink in my cabin for 6 days as I tested negative all the time 

1 hour ago, upwarduk said:

If the TA has been given the money, why can’t they credit it to your credit card immediately?
In the days when there was a decent interest rate, I heard about TA’s holding on to payments, before they transferred it to CelebrityCruises. Now however, there is no advantage to keeping  the money and should be sent to the passenger immediately.

The way I understood it the TA was only given the amount that the passenger would be reimbursed, not the actual refund.   In the US I don't know of any cases where payment/reimbursement goes through the TA, its always directly between the passenger and Celebrity.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

The way I understood it the TA was only given the amount that the passenger would be reimbursed, not the actual refund.   In the US I don't know of any cases where payment/reimbursement goes through the TA, its always directly between the passenger and Celebrity.

They told me the amount about 6 weeks before my cc refund, so I think you are correct. Given likely means TA told, not transferred to.

Sorry if I missed where this was discussed, but is the reimbursement for days in quarantine onboard via credit card or FCC? Got off the Reflection a couple of weeks ago, and our friend spent most of the cruise in quarantine after testing positive on day 4. They were told her reimbursement for days in quarantine would be in the form of FCC, which surprised me.  

On 6/18/2022 at 3:20 AM, jwlane said:

They don't do that---not sure any cruise line does (or ever has).

On 6/18/2022 at 12:16 AM, tallnthensome said:

How did  Celebrity know you were sick on board? Were you randomly tested ? 

Not randomly tested.  As soon as I felt Ill I stayed in my cabin.  Did home Covid test and it was negative but really sick the next day.  Called Medical and they came to my room and tested me. Positive result. Quarantine.  I have very strong feelings about those who don’t test because they don’t want to be in quarantine.  Not only do they jeopardize their cabin mates health but they spread the virus to others.  I suspect that’s what happened to me.  Please don’t be a spreader!  I hated being quarantined but it was the responsible action to accept.

Re mandatory testing, Our cruise on Viking Ocean required that all passengers and crew be tested daily.  It was no big deal.  I am not aware if there were any positive tests.

• Like 6

Also on the Apex transatlantic, caught covid near the end, and did not get a response to emails.  When I called the engagement center, I had the same issues it sounds like others did (long waits and different answers).  The reimbursement value was different depending upon who you spoke with.  All that said- these folks are working from home, not in a call center, and have to call their supervisor to confirm whatever they do. This creates a huge bottleneck for processing and leads to the long wait times.  Everyone was unfailingly courteous and tried to be helpful. In the end, despite being told differently a couple of times, I was able to just move the entire refund to my next cruise without having to go through FCC or refund to credit card. This was the best solution for me for several reasons-it may not be what you would want or advise (this statement to prevent anticipated arguments against doing it this way).  And- the reason I was able to get this done was the last time I called (I had been on hold for an hour and 15 minutes on the other line) I asked (nicely) to speak directly to the supervisor.  Easy peasy.  Could have had everything resolved in 10 minutes if I had done that the first call.  

14 minutes ago, sandbug2 said:

Also on the Apex transatlantic, caught covid near the end, and did not get a response to emails.  When I called the engagement center, I had the same issues it sounds like others did (long waits and different answers).  The reimbursement value was different depending upon who you spoke with.  All that said- these folks are working from home, not in a call center, and have to call their supervisor to confirm whatever they do. This creates a huge bottleneck for processing and leads to the long wait times.  Everyone was unfailingly courteous and tried to be helpful. In the end, despite being told differently a couple of times, I was able to just move the entire refund to my next cruise without having to go through FCC or refund to credit card. This was the best solution for me for several reasons-it may not be what you would want or advise (this statement to prevent anticipated arguments against doing it this way).  And- the reason I was able to get this done was the last time I called (I had been on hold for an hour and 15 minutes on the other line) I asked (nicely) to speak directly to the supervisor.  Easy peasy.  Could have had everything resolved in 10 minutes if I had done that the first call.  

What is the phone number ?

The only number I have is the main call in number which is useless 

On 6/18/2022 at 5:44 AM, mayleeman said:

They told me the amount about 6 weeks before my cc refund, so I think you are correct. Given likely means TA told, not transferred to.

I just got most of mine after 3 week..   There is one final amount that the agent had incorrectly and submitted an amount and when I brought to his attention he submitted for the remainder.  Also on mine my balance went down and took over the weekend for me to actual see the posted transaction. 

• Like 1

Still no word from Celebrity on what they are going to offer my wife for the 9 days in quarantine.

our Travel agent has not heard anything either and she has been in contact with her rep😡
we wonder if Celebrity treats people differently depending on the room they booked ? 

Edited by Ex-Airbalancer

14 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Still no word from Celebrity on what they are going to offer my wife for the 9 days in quarantine.

our Travel agent has not heard anything either and she has been in contact with her rep😡
we wonder if Celebrity treats people differently depending on the room they booked ? 

I though it was the cruise fare pro-rated for the number of days in quarantine.

Edited by jelayne

My husband and I were in quarantine on the Beyond. We got home just last weekend and I called them on Sunday. After being on hold for 75 minutes the call dropped 😞 Urgh.... I sent an email asking someone to contact me and about 1.5 hours later someone called me back. I gave them my credit card info and I see today that the money has been refunded onto my credit card. So five days total.

I also thought it was per day in quarantine but I have much more back than expected. No idea how they do it.

6 minutes ago, koolforkatz said:

My husband and I were in quarantine on the Beyond. We got home just last weekend and I called them on Sunday. After being on hold for 75 minutes the call dropped 😞 Urgh.... I sent an email asking someone to contact me and about 1.5 hours later someone called me back. I gave them my credit card info and I see today that the money has been refunded onto my credit card. So five days total.

I also thought it was per day in quarantine but I have much more back than expected. No idea how they do it.

Were you moved from your original booked cabin?

9 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Were you moved from your original booked cabin?

We had an aft SV. My husband tested + and I could either stay with him or move. I opted to move and they moved me down the hall to an infinite balcony. I tested + the next day so moved back with him. We couldn't get off in Rome because I was still + and of course our SV was already booked. So then they moved us up to a 12 deck concierge class balcony. So no complaints.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, koolforkatz said:

Wow ! 
yesterday my travel agent did say that someone  had talk to her and they got our info , but they busy and will get back to us , 

we had originally book an inside cabin ( for some reason I am only allowed to book a balcony now 😁) paid upgrade to OV when we got on the ship , less than what we bid on the moveup offer , 🙄, they did not offer us a balcony . 
I do believe they treated people differently if you booked a lower category