Scooter questions

We are going on Mariner in August with my in-law’s and need to know some scooter info because my FIL has bad knees.

I think he needs a scooter for the 8 nights and especially getting on and off the ship in the ABC islands.

My question is what do they do with the scooter when he goes on a bus tour excursion?

Do they take it on the bus or leave it at the port?

This is all new to us, so if anyone has any tips about using a scooter on a ship, it would be most appreciated.

We are taking my mom on a cruise in November(Brilliance) for her 90th and might need the same info.

2 minutes ago, Buccaneergirl said:

We are going on Mariner in August with my in-law’s and need to know some scooter info because my FIL has bad knees.

I think he needs a scooter for the 8 nights and especially getting on and off the ship in the ABC islands.

My question is what do they do with the scooter when he goes on a bus tour excursion?

Do they take it on the bus or leave it at the port?

This is all new to us, so if anyone has any tips about using a scooter on a ship, it would be most appreciated.

We are taking my mom on a cruise in November(Brilliance) for her 90th and might need the same info.

Are you renting or buying?  Most excursions do not take a scooter, so therefore, you leave it in your room.  However, they can sometimes take a scooter.  So in the rare case they will, you need to investigate the question prior to going.  Determine what kind of excursion it is, to verify if you can or can not do without a scooter.  

We very seldom take a ship excusion, and opt to do things on our own.  Our scooter folds up, and is easy to use with taxi's.  Less hassle, more enjoyment.

• Like 1

Very difficult to find scooter-friendly excursions.  Sometimes the ship provides transportation to the end of the pier to catch a tour bus, etc.  But I have never found any shore excursion to provide a place to hold your scooter.  However, in ports, sometimes you’ll find locals that offer tours with room for scooters - but they’re not RC sponsored.  Also, it’s my understanding that rented scooters are not allowed off the ship, although some people said they have taken them off the ship.

If you go to the Disabled section, you’ll be able to get more info.

Good luck.  I can’t walk without pain - so I require a scooter when I cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If he'll need assistance to get to/from the bus and ship, then I recommend purchasing your own "transport chair" or standard wheelchair, and using that for excursions.  You can also use it to get on/off the ship on embarkation/debarkation days, and in the airport if you're flying to the homeport.

A transport chair will fold up and can be taken on the excursion bus/van and also used at each stop, as needed.  

Unless you book a chair-accessible excursion, they're not going to be able to take the scooter on the excursion, unless you have your own scooter that is specifically able to be easily folded up and carried.

53 minutes ago, brillohead said:

If he'll need assistance to get to/from the bus and ship, then I recommend purchasing your own "transport chair" or standard wheelchair, and using that for excursions.  You can also use it to get on/off the ship on embarkation/debarkation days, and in the airport if you're flying to the homeport.

A transport chair will fold up and can be taken on the excursion bus/van and also used at each stop, as needed.  

Unless you book a chair-accessible excursion, they're not going to be able to take the scooter on the excursion, unless you have your own scooter that is specifically able to be easily folded up and carried.

Is a transport chair the same as a portable wheelchair?  I’m thinking of buying one for my port intensive Mediterranean cruise.  Will they take them on the bus on ship shore excursions? 

• Like 1

A transport chair is not self propelled. A pusher is necessary. They are often lighter weight than a wheelchair and may fold a bit tighter/smaller. I agree that a wheelchair or transport chair would give you more excursion options.

• Like 1

We just returned from a Mariner sailing.  It was the first time my mother ever rented a scooter, and it was a challenge.  We kept getting conflicting answers about where to leave her scooter.  She can walk, but arthritis often makes it painful.  If we had thought about it more, we would have gotten with a foldable wheelchair, instead.  Most definitely get a handicap cabin to be able to park the scooter and stress the need to charge it each night.  And communicate a lot with the Special Needs department at RCCL.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, RonPaula said:

A transport chair is not self propelled. A pusher is necessary. They are often lighter weight than a wheelchair and may fold a bit tighter/smaller. I agree that a wheelchair or transport chair would give you more excursion options.

My husband is missing an arm, and I am unable to wheel myself due to shoulder pain.  This is why I have a mobility scooter.  We are selling my ECV and will be purchasing a foldable electric wheelchair in order to have more travel and shore excursions options.  They are, however much more expensive.  🙄

• Thanks 1

I rent a scooter for my wife. Yes, they can be taken off the ship. Scooters can not be left in the hallway outside your room, it is a safety hazard . They must be kept.inside your room or make arrangements for the cruise staff to store it for you when not in use.

27 minutes ago, mets123 said:

I rent a scooter for my wife. Yes, they can be taken off the ship. Scooters can not be left in the hallway outside your room, it is a safety hazard . They must be kept.inside your room or make arrangements for the cruise staff to store it for you when not in use.

We always book a handicapped room.

8 hours ago, sellwingri said:

Is a transport chair the same as a portable wheelchair?  I’m thinking of buying one for my port intensive Mediterranean cruise.  Will they take them on the bus on ship shore excursions? 

As stated above, a transport chair has four small wheels, while a wheelchair has two small  wheels on the front and two big wheels with handrails for self-propelling the chair.  

Transport chairs are lighter and fold up smaller, but require a person to push them.  Wheelchairs are heavier and take up a bit more space when folded, but allow someone to move independently.

Both should be allowed onto a bus/van with no problem, although you may be required to lift it onto the bus/van without assistance from the driver.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jndsilver31 said:

when my wife and i did our Symphony cruise last september, we rented s scooter from a rentsl company in mismi, we took the scooter off the ship in st, martin and st. thomas.

It's not a problem taking the scooter off the ship at port -- that's not what the OP is asking about.  The problem is if you take the scooter off the ship and to the meeting point for the excursion bus, there is no safe place to leave the scooter on the sidewalk during the excursion, and there is no way to put it onto the bus to take it on the excursion.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MississippiMom said:

We just returned from a Mariner sailing.  It was the first time my mother ever rented a scooter, and it was a challenge.  We kept getting conflicting answers about where to leave her scooter.

Just curious, what places were "challenging" about where to park the scooter?  

In the MDR, you can drive it to your table and your assistant waiter will drive it out front to park it, and then retrieve it for you at the end of the meal.  

In the theater, you can drive it to the back row and watch from there while seated on the scooter, or park it on the edge of the entrance area and walk to a regular seat.

On the pool deck, you can park it next to your lounger.  In a lounge, you can park it next to your table. 

I travel with handicapped friends quite a bit. Royal is extremely accommodating.

• Like 1

I have been seriously considering renting a scooter to take on a cruise.  I do not really require assistance getting around on the ship (so it would most likely just remain in the suite while we are on the ship), I was thinking more of using it when I am off the ship, 'scooting' around the port.

It sounds like we would be able to get the scooter onto and off of the ship but maybe not be able to take an organized excursion that might "abandon" the scooter temporarily ?

I seem to recall that there were sometimes issues with getting a scooter up and over the gangway.  Is this not the case ?  Thanks for the help.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, RFerrington said:

I have been seriously considering renting a scooter to take on a cruise.  I do not really require assistance getting around on the ship (so it would most likely just remain in the suite while we are on the ship), I was thinking more of using it when I am off the ship, 'scooting' around the port.

It sounds like we would be able to get the scooter onto and off of the ship but maybe not be able to take an organized excursion that might "abandon" the scooter temporarily ?

I seem to recall that there were sometimes issues with getting a scooter up and over the gangway.  Is this not the case ?  Thanks for the help.

Scooter can 'bottom out' where a gangway elbow is.  Also, sometimes, the tide can cause a gangway to get steeper, and the wheels might not grip easily.  

If you take the scooter, you must only use accessible tours.  Got to do your homework

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

Scooter can 'bottom out' where a gangway elbow is.  Also, sometimes, the tide can cause a gangway to get steeper, and the wheels might not grip easily.  

If you take the scooter, you must only use accessible tours.  Got to do your homework

Thanks !

But I won't be taking any tours at all.  Just scootering around on my own.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RFerrington said:

In addition to the "bottoming out" issue, scooters often don't have enough power to go up a steep incline, like the gangway. 

Both issues can be resolved by walking over the "hump" and up the ramp, and having one of the RCL employees drive the scooter over the problem area while walking alongside the scooter (so no weight on the scooter in the problem area).

Just now, brillohead said:

In addition to the "bottoming out" issue, scooters often don't have enough power to go up a steep incline, like the gangway. 

Both issues can be resolved by walking over the "hump" and up the ramp, and having one of the RCL employees drive the scooter over the problem area while walking alongside the scooter (so no weight on the scooter in the problem area).

THANK YOU !!  I can definitely walk.  I just don't have any stamina.  I have been just staying on the ship in most ports as we've been to them over and over again anyway.  But I think if I had a scooter I would be more inclined to get off and at least explore a little.  I was concerned when I read (somewhere above) that a rented scooter could not be taken off the ship.  That would not work for me at ALL as I intend to not use the scooter on the ship, just in the ports.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, RFerrington said:

THANK YOU !!  I can definitely walk.  I just don't have any stamina.  I have been just staying on the ship in most ports as we've been to them over and over again anyway.  But I think if I had a scooter I would be more inclined to get off and at least explore a little.  I was concerned when I read (somewhere above) that a rented scooter could not be taken off the ship.  That would not work for me at ALL as I intend to not use the scooter on the ship, just in the ports.

My husband finally broke down and rented a mobility scooter and has changed his life.  You should use it on the ship, especially the big girls.  We take it off the ship and can wander around ports.  No scooters on tenders though.  You are definitely permitted to take it off the ship by the rental companies and Royal.  They always assist you when getting off and on the ship.  Special Needs at Sea and Scootaround provide the services and Royal has this on their website.  We've used both.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RFerrington said:

Definitely many areas the scooter can bottom out.  But if you can just get up and lift a little this is likely a non issue. This is a much more difficult or impossible situation when the person can’t get out or stand on their own.  That is probably the problem you have heard about.  Even getting to the helipad is difficult or impossible for some.  But if someone can get off easily and someone can lift it a little, every threshold I’ve seen on ships would be none issue.  The scooters aren’t that heavy when no one is one them.  Yes there are heavy, but a little boost over a threshold isn’t a problem for most.  

Edited by topnole
  • Like 1

It was definitely a problem on the Oasis last week with bottoming out leaving the ship. But the security staff came to my wife's rescue. Yet she never had issues on the Anthem. It has to be the angle of the elbow on the ramp.

, And the deck you are exiting on.