British Airways

RTR 21-0

Booked our flights through Celebrity this afternoon.  Was able to get in/outbound on American.  One of the legs is on British Airways.  I was able to pick our seats on all flights.  When I put in the code share # for our connecting flight from Dallas to Rome on American's website it directed me to British Airways and I was asked to check a box if ok to share seating info. with American.  Sure thing.  So I can see by doing a mock booking on American Airline's website that all of the seats I chose for all flights are X'd out but I know that really doesn't mean much until tickets are paid for.  Has anyone that has flown British Airways and/or American in the past not had their seat selection honored?  Would really love the seats we chose but would really love to keep our $ for another 8 months lol.  Thanks in advance for your replies. 

We have never been able to select seats on BA until, I think . 24 hrs pre flight with out paying a additional charge.  These were on flights that we had paid for. We now avoid BA flights when booking.

Edited by jelayne
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, jelayne said:

We have never been able to select seats on BA until, I think . 24 hrs pre flight with out paying a additional charge.  These were on flights that we had paid for. We now avoid BA flights when booking.

Our experience too.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jelayne said:

Only exceptions are high airline status (BA silver or equivalent) or above or if you require disability assistance. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, the penguins said:

Only exceptions are high airline status (BA silver or equivalent) or above or if you require disability assistance. 

Even booking business it is at extra cost to sit together….

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

May be BA rules only applied to American.

I never have seat assigned for before 24 hours of flight.

Now they give me 7 days because of my BA tier status.

IMHO BA flights have the worst Business Class seats configuration of all the Business Class that I have on so far.

Edited by verizon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, verizon said:

IMHO BA flights have the worst Business Class seats configuration of all the Business Class that I have on so far.

No, we have had to pay when booking direct. Not our first choice, agree the business seat lay out is odd. We also once landed in Miami minus our luggage too. Thank goodness we always plan to arrive two days pre cruise. We managed to get it at midnight the day before we cruised….

For anyone flying into Heathrow in the next few days they are having issues with luggage waits…some people reporting waits of three hours before their luggage was unloaded and made available for collection.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, verizon said:

What wrong with the configuration? We loved the backward facing middle seats now sadly gone but have not experienced the new layout.

On 6/19/2022 at 4:48 PM, RTR 21-0 said:

Booked our flights through Celebrity this afternoon.  Was able to get in/outbound on American.  One of the legs is on British Airways.  I was able to pick our seats on all flights.  When I put in the code share # for our connecting flight from Dallas to Rome on American's website it directed me to British Airways and I was asked to check a box if ok to share seating info. with American.  Sure thing.  So I can see by doing a mock booking on American Airline's website that all of the seats I chose for all flights are X'd out but I know that really doesn't mean much until tickets are paid for.  Has anyone that has flown British Airways and/or American in the past not had their seat selection honored?  Would really love the seats we chose but would really love to keep our $ for another 8 months lol.  Thanks in advance for your replies. 

If I am reading your question correctly the answer is: yes, your seats should be honored (unless ofc they change equipment).  I just returned from a trip where my tickets were booked via the cruise line -- all the flights were operated by American, but one leg was booked using the British Airways code share.  When I logged into AA I could see my seats but not the one for the BA code share.  On the BA website is also did not show my seat assignment.  However, just like you, when I looked at the flight online I could see that my seat, listed in the booking confirmation, was marked as unavailable for purchase.  I flew in that seat. 

• Like 1

On 6/20/2022 at 9:07 AM, the penguins said:

What wrong with the configuration? We loved the backward facing middle seats now sadly gone but have not experienced the new layout.

I also loved sitting backwards. Upper deck (747) had some really nice seating with extra storage. 2 toilets' and a galley.

We were just on BA out of Seattle to LHR and return late Apr 2022. We were in business class flying over and did have to pay for seat choice. I was disappointed in our service. Not the BA I remember. Flying home we were in 1st class. I don't remember if I paid for seat choice in 1st class. I was very please with the 1st class lounge and our flight home. The service was what I know BA can be. 

We did carry-on only, 16 nights. We had heard that LHR was having baggage issues. Friends just flew home June 15 to LHR and had luggage issues at terminal 3. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, mchell810 said:

If I am reading your question correctly the answer is: yes, your seats should be honored (unless ofc they change equipment).  I just returned from a trip where my tickets were booked via the cruise line -- all the flights were operated by American, but one leg was booked using the British Airways code share.  When I logged into AA I could see my seats but not the one for the BA code share.  On the BA website is also did not show my seat assignment.  However, just like you, when I looked at the flight online I could see that my seat, listed in the booking confirmation, was marked as unavailable for purchase.  I flew in that seat. 

Code share is different as the rules apply to the primary carrier in this case AA which doesn't charge.

• Thanks 1

On 6/20/2022 at 12:07 PM, the penguins said:

Do you like to watch a stranger eating in front of you during mails time if you are traveling SOLO?

Or do you like to see a stranger walk over you to go to restroom while you were sleeping

Edited by verizon
  • Like 1