Windstar now requiring self-testing pre-embarkation

Pudgesmom

We are traveling this July. Yesterday we received an email that Windstar will no longer provide free dockside Covid testing as of July 1. Passengers will either need to bring proof of antigen testing done 2 days before boarding or PCR test three days before boarding. They also noted that they will be following any local requirements for testing, so everyone should check on their particular destination.

It's so unfortunate, I have been seeing this more and more with cruise lines that they are now leaving cruisers on their own for testing which makes it very stressful. Not sure if this may be helpful, but if you are embarking out of the Vancouver port, there is a testing clinic right next to the cruise ship terminal in Vancouver inside the Vancouver Convention Centre which is soo convenient for us cruisers!! You can book an appointment online and I heard they also accept walk-ins and they have very affordable prices.  Here is the link in case you want to check them out https://covid-medical.ca/covid-19-test-book-online/  

• Thanks 1

To complicate matters, the Travel Assurance plan expires June 30. It may not make much difference since there is no way to meet the testing requirements and cancel prior to 48 hours anyway.

Ideally, you can get test results before leaving home. At least it would save a wasted trip to the port.

Surely those who booked sailings after June 30  purchased travel insurance.

Edited by Babr

We received the same notice for our mid-July departure.

Google is your friend. Telehealth is your friend. There are many online telehealth Covid certification sites available. This is one of many and is only $9.99.

https://onpoint-testing.com/product/certified-teleservice-covid-testing/?gclid=CjwKCAjwtcCVBhA0EiwAT1fY75V9tWfJA2isDxH6VILyakhVvbkEE1jcVlDr6A1WO7ThOxcWhZSQKhoCHTsQAvD_BwE

If anyone can help with this problem we would appreciate all help. We leave for the Sicilian Splendeur Cruise 10/6, we will be going first to Sweden and arrive in Italy October 3 we are staying in Tarquinia about 50 km from Civitevecchia Port. We will need a test. We have heard that pharmacies in Italy give the test. Anyone with experience?  I will be writing to the hotel. It states on the Civitavecchia.portmobility.it to have a test there must be a doctor order and insurance card. I am going to ask WS if the Telehealth sites will work according to my pharmacist that is considered a home test which WS said they would not recognize. I will be back with info that I get, I think we all need each other on this one. Three times booked wouldn't you know?!  Happy Sailing Susanne

I did call WS, Telehealth according to the agent said he " thought " were not  accepted, I do not consider " thought " good enough. I wrote to the CEO and said it would have been better if WS offered the tests at the pier and we had to pay for them believe me I would pay for the convenience. I also asked  for a clarification on " thought " are they accepted or not. I am waiting for an answer. I also googled pharmacies in the town I will be in 3 days before, there are 4-5 of them, I wrote to the hotel and asked about them if they gave tests and for them to make an appointment for me etc. According to what I have been reading the pharmacies give the tests in Italy.  I will write again here when I know more and will appreciate anything info other discover. Susanne

• Like 1

I called as well. First answer to “telehealth” was no. When pressed, I was told as long as I had an official certificate with my name and a “not detected” result I could board. The telehealth people give you that certificate by email. The other concerning thing is they will not accept certificates of recovery. My husband got Covid on the breeze in April and always has the potential for a positive test. 

Testing at the dock is the best way to insure people are ok.  Any testing any place else is not reliable.  On another line, we had to do PCR test 4 days prior for a Bermuda travel authorization and a supervised antigen test 2 days prior for the cruise line.  We were negative on both.  What a hassle scheduling. The week before the cruise was not pleasant.  Compare this with another line that only asked us to do an antigen test at the dock.  We took an at home test before we flew.  Took the test at the dock.  No problems.  

I can confirm that COVID tests are very easy to find and arrange in Italy - offered in testing tents and pharmacies.  I have never found appointments to be necessary.  Of course, I would anticipate the situation may change as the demand for tests go down..  Therefore, you should verify closer to your sail time.  I have also used the Binex "telehealth" tests many, many times.  The certificate does not specify "telehealth" and looks like every other certificate. 

Thank you all. I did write as stated before a that " thought " was not good enough I guess after that email WS fixed it. I also heard last night pharmacies in Italy were numerous and easy. I am waiting for a confirmation from the hotel we are staying in and will let all know what they say about the pharmacies as well. I also think it would be nice to have the convenience to have it done by WS and we can choose to pay that rate, that is what I would do in a minute. I think the more info we have the better off we will be. Thanks Susanne

• Thanks 1

We fly from the U.S. to Copenhagen 3 days before our cruise.
Here’s our strategy.
On the night before we leave, we will take a free home test (non-proctored.) If one of us tests positive, we will cancel the trip before we board the plane. We will also try to avoid contact with the public the week before we leave.  (We could take a rapid PCR test at the SFO airport the day we fly to Copenhagen that would be accepted by Windstar because it’s within 3 days of boarding. Unfortunately, they cost $275 per person & are not covered by our insurance.) Then, the day before boarding, we will take a rapid antigen test in Copenhagen. My hotel says there is a test center located a 2min walk from the hotel and a rapid antigen test cost 195dkk ($27.61) and you get results within 20minutes.

Travel planning sure is complicated these days.

Any clarity on how WS defines "within 2 days". I assume the day of departure wouldn't count and probably wouldn't work in any case due to possible delay in getting the report back.

So, if we depart on the 15th, would the 2 days be the 13th or 14th?

2 minutes ago, milepig said:

Any clarity on how WS defines "within 2 days". I assume the day of departure wouldn't count and probably wouldn't work in any case due to possible delay in getting the report back.

So, if we depart on the 15th, would the 2 days be the 13th or 14th?

I am assuming the 13th.

1 hour ago, diebroke said:

I am assuming the 13th.

Oops. I meant to say would the 2 days include the 13th and the 14th, not "or".

A parallel would be flights. When we had to have a test to fly to the US, 2 days meant that if your flight was on the 15th, the test needed to be dated anytime on the 13th or 14th or I guess the 15th, but not the 12th.

Edited by milepig

Doing what Diebroke suggested. Do a home test before getting on any flight same day we begin travel from Portland. If by some chance positive, I'd call my insurance company and cancel the cruise.

Cruise departs August 4 and we'll be flying LAX-PPT August 2 in the evening. Getting antigen done by OnPoint testing in the backyard of the Sonesta LAX hotel at 1:30pm August 2. ($69).Timing will hopefully perfect as hoping to board Wind Spirit between 12 and 1pm on August 4.

If anyone see flaws in this logic please let me know....and thanks.

And Diebroke.....I love your name!

Edited by Petoonya

7 hours ago, diebroke said:

Thanks - only problem is that given my travel plans & the state of the economy, I need to shorten my life expectancy.

You have to forget all that stuff when you cruise and before. My kids can worry about me and I won't fret, as I'll be in Never Neverland in August. If I can stay off Amazon maybe won't hear from the collection agencies in the meantime!

On 6/23/2022 at 12:48 PM, diebroke said:

Here’s our strategy.
On the night before we leave, we will take a free home test (non-proctored.) If one of us tests positive, we will cancel the trip before we board the plane. We will also try to avoid contact with the public the week before we leave.  (We could take a rapid PCR test at the SFO airport the day we fly to Copenhagen that would be accepted by Windstar because it’s within 3 days of boarding. Unfortunately, they cost $275 per person & are not covered by our insurance.) Then, the day before boarding, we will take a rapid antigen test in Copenhagen. My hotel says there is a test center located a 2min walk from the hotel and a rapid antigen test cost 195dkk ($27.61) and you get results within 20minutes.

Travel planning sure is complicated these days.

Diebroke, that's close to the same strategy we mapped out for our Memorial Day weekend Star Legend cruise to Norway. We took at-home rapid tests starting on Tuesday night. On Wednesday, DW took a PCR test at CVS. On Thursday, I took a CVS PCR test. Late Thursday, her PCR results came back positive despite lack of symptoms and multiple negative at-home and supervised rapid antigen tests. Our flight was scheduled for Friday night, so a decision was looming. We decided not to risk being positive when we reached Amsterdam due to quarantine risk and guilt about potentially exposing other travelers. We canceled just before our 48-hour window expired. We took other PCR tests over the holiday weekend and ALL were negative. We received FCCs only because we made our decision more than 48 hours prior to sailing. Now we have credits on WS and Delta and are shopping for 2023. I don't regret the decision, but we are convinced that the one positive test was a false positive. As you said, travel planning sure is complicated these days. 

Along the same lines, IF one was to get Covid ON the cruise, what is Windstar's policy? 

My spouse got Covid near the end of a Holland America cruise. They quarantined him in another cabin and we were told he would have to quarantine in San Diego, where cruise ended, unless we were driving home.  We drove home and then he immediately quarantined at home. 

Agent at WS today told me we would have to disembark the ship immediately if testing positive and we would be on our own to find hotel etc.  Does anyone know if this is correct or if they would let us both stay onboard until the end of the cruise and then quarantine in BCN if more time needed. We are talking ROME - Barcelona in Nov so a long cruise...long enough to quarantine onboard if they would let us.  Thanks for any accurate info anyone has.

Excellent question. I searched the online WS contract (last updated as of March 29), my very recent invoice/confirmation fine print, and the WS website, but I could not find a definitive answer. There were specific references to Covid, but they focused on proof required at the time of sailing, not what may happen if one becomes positive during sailing.

Two related items caught my eye. (1) the contract now makes it clear that canceling due to Covid results will affect what sort of refund/credit can be achieved; and (2) it notifies passengers that they could be fined in certain countries who do not allow tourists to enter who are positive for a contagious disease.

I think it depends on the ship and the country you are in at the time. My husband got Covid on the Breeze in Mexico. We were quarantined (as was anyone we had dinner with). We were given a list of hotels in Mexico - but most had no availability. In the end we were offered a room on the next sailing to continue quarantine but I doubt this still happens. The following cruise was aborted half way because too many crew were quarantined.

It seems that policies are changing continually and no one can tell you what will happen. Too many variables: how many passengers on the ship and how many affected? Is crew affected? Are you in a country with cruise ship policies?

We leave for an Alaska cruise in the Breeze tomorrow. We’ll see what happens!

• Like 1