How does wifi calling work on board?

slavigne5577

We do not usually use phones on cruises other than the hubb app while in airplane mode. This trip our 18 year old did not want to come with us. So my question is how does wifi calling work? I want to be able to call or text son or be able to get calls/texts from him. I do not want a heavy cell bill when I get home. Thanks for any information and or experience.

The cheapest way to go would be to use the Social WiFi plan and use Facebook messenger to keep in touch. Or iMessage should work if you are both iPhone users.

With the social wifi plan and facebook messenger, you should be able to make a facebook messenger voice call. I doubt it will have enough bandwith for a video call but you can try.

17 minutes ago, slavigne5577 said:

Both Android. I don't have Facebook.

Facebook accounts are free...you can delete the account after the cruise. Even use a fake name if you want. There are other apps that work with the social plan, check Carnival's page on it.

Cell carrier WiFi calling may or may not work (the general consensus is it will not work) and even if it does it will only work with the higher end plans which are significantly more expensive than the social plan.

Edited by mz-s

I've never had much success with wi-fi calling even using the ship's premium internet plan.  It's not something that can be relied upon.  We have iphones and are able to Facetime and I Message most of the time.  But since you have android, your best bet would be to set up a Facebook messenger account and use that to message with him.  Otherwise you will have to pay for cellular at sea service or use the ship's phone to call, both of which are expensive.

Edited by Lee Cruiser

On the Vista in April and we were able to use Google Duo for video/calls as Wifi calling didn't work.  My wife is an iPhone user and was able to do iMessage and Facetime and I android so I did Google Duo (which also works on iPhone).  We had the premium plan if that helps.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ellaleah said:

I have read on the board that you can use iMessage with iPhones even if you don’t buy any Wi-Fi.  Is that correct?

No that is not correct (at least in April).  My wife had to be logged into the Wifi package in order for the messages to go out.  

2 hours ago, slavigne5577 said:

Is anyone familiar with whatsapp.  How does it work and how secure is it?

I used whatsapp with the social network plan. It worked well as long as we had a wifi connection.

As others have said you cannot make phone calls through whatsapp on board.

You can send and receive text messages through whatsapp.

4 hours ago, slavigne5577 said:

We do not usually use phones on cruises other than the hubb app while in airplane mode. This trip our 18 year old did not want to come with us. So my question is how does wifi calling work? I want to be able to call or text son or be able to get calls/texts from him. I do not want a heavy cell bill when I get home. Thanks for any information and or experience.

You can grab a wifi signal from restaurants or Starbucks in ports to do your wifi calls.

1 hour ago, maryann2 said:

I used whatsapp with the social network plan. It worked well as long as we had a wifi connection.

As others have said you cannot make phone calls through whatsapp on board.

You can send and receive text messages through whatsapp.

I tried to purchase social plan but it won't let me just buy one package

Do I need to wait until on-board?

4 hours ago, Ellaleah said:

I have read on the board that you can use iMessage with iPhones even if you don’t buy any Wi-Fi.  Is that correct?

It worked for me on the Sunshine in May. But that was the first time it worked for me without buying a package. It would only allow iMessage texts, no photos etc would go through.

12 minutes ago, slavigne5577 said:

I travel solo so obviously worked for me.

I'm not sure why you cannot pre-purchase just 1 package though.

Perhaps contact your PVP?

17 minutes ago, slavigne5577 said:

It lets me buy the plan for one person in the stateroom no problem, just check the one you want to buy it for.

4 hours ago, maryann2 said:

I travel solo so obviously worked for me.

I'm not sure why you cannot pre-purchase just 1 package though.

Perhaps contact your PVP?

we had somewhat the same experience, Worked for the first couple days, then wouldn't work, then worked the last day or 2.

17 hours ago, Ellaleah said:

We cruised last month on Horizon with the value package and the $5 chat feature of the Hub app. My wife and I shared the value package, one of us was always logged in to the value package. We both noticed when we were NOT actively logged on to the value package, we were able to receive app alerts and iMessages. Phones were in airplane mode and only wifi enabled. I've seen on other social media of folks noticing the same iMessage behavior. Not clear if this is intended or something else, or if because we did purchase one internet plan it "triggered" something, but we for sure noticed when not logged on to the internet package, iMessages worked.

On 6/23/2022 at 12:00 PM, mz-s said:

The cheapest way to go would be to use the Social WiFi plan and use Facebook messenger to keep in touch. Or iMessage should work if you are both iPhone users.

With the social wifi plan and facebook messenger, you should be able to make a facebook messenger voice call. I doubt it will have enough bandwith for a video call but you can try.

We were able to do Facebook video calls on my last cruise with the social media plan. I usually book the social plan for myself only. Never had an issue.

We were on Horizon in May and Ecstacy last week. Both times using the social package. I-messages worked for sure, as did Facetime (CCL website says it will not support Facetime)with just a small lagtime on it both ships although Horizon was better signal all week. 

We always told the kids to contact us by text (or message) and vice versa.  Of course this requires a wifi package.  They were expected to reply to our messages quickly.   Phone calls were only to be used in emergencies. Never had one of those thankfully.