Bottle of wine for the room?

DAllenTCY

5 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Leftover? 🤣

Sometimes it happens... Last trip we bought an expensive bottle at La Cucina. Rather than trying to force it all down before heading to the show, we had the butler bring the rest to our villa with our leftover pizza for a snack later on in the room. Despite what a certain someone on here thinks, I do have enough money to splurge $300 on a bottle of fine wine and have stayed in not only the Haven, but the garden villa. Oooh la la, look at me, I'm so fancy and you're not. /sarcasm

4 hours ago, casofilia said:

@Sailing12Away

If you have the upgraded drink package, then select bottles of wine are included for free.

Where did you find this please?

Do you have a list of the free ones?

https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/premium-plus-beverage-package.pdf

As for the 'free' corkage fee... not sure if it's the new norm, but on our trip in May we had bought a bunch of bottles of wine in Bordeaux during an excursion and they stopped us when we got back on the ship. All we had to do was show our room key that said we had the drink package, and they let us go. No confiscating of bottles, no corkage fees. It was actually quite pleasant, so I hope that's the new norm.

• Like 1

My question was not regarding embarkation.

My cruise includes "free drinks".

The option I find most helpful is to bring 2 glasses back to the room for later.......I guess I can start at breakfast......:)

I will definitely look for wine packages.

I like to drink after 5 pm and have dinner around 7 - 8 pm.  I just don't want to sit at a bar for 2 hours if I have a veranda.

Thanks to all of you.

Sincerely,

David

If this was my business, and I have already sold you the drink package…why wouldn’t I want you to bring and drink your own wine.  Just less of my wine you’ll drink.  So, I believe this is a cost cutting strategy for NCL.  Brilliant if you ask me.

• Like 3

Now they need to extend this to soft-drinks if you have the premium plus. My wife would easily pay the difference to upgrade if we could bring on a couple of 6 packs of diet-coke for her morning ritual!

• Like 1

In early March 2022, I brought six bottles of wine aboard Breakaway.  I had the beverage package.  I was charged $90.  It wasn't listed as corkage. It was Taste Restaurant.  We never visited Taste.

Edited by RocketMan275

15 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

In early March 2022, I brought six bottles of wine aboard Breakaway.  I had the beverage package.  I was charged $90.  It wasn't listed as corkage. It was Taste Restaurant.  We never visited Taste.

Did you bring the wine to any restaurant? They store the wine in a central spot for all restaurants, I’m guessing you were charged corkage if you didn’t pay it at the terminal.

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

Did you bring the wine to any restaurant? They store the wine in a central spot for all restaurants, I’m guessing you were charged corkage if you didn’t pay it at the terminal.

I took a bottle of wine to a restaurant every night.  I keep the wine in my cabin.  I paid the corkage at the terminal.  The corkage fee is due regardless of where you consume the wine.  Fifteen dollars per bottle is not an exorbitant amount.   You can buy a bottle ashore, pay the corkage, and still save money over the cruise line price and you'll get a much better wine.

17 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

As noted earlier, this seems to be a new policy.

On 6/24/2022 at 10:57 AM, KKB said:

Someone posted it today on another site & said it was a new addition, but I cannot confirm that it is new

I don't recall seeing it either, but it seems to make sense.  Assuming you have the Premium (or Plus) beverage package, for each bottle you bring, it's that much NCL alcohol you're not availing yourself of.  

On 6/24/2022 at 12:00 AM, DAllenTCY said:

How does NCL manage this?

Do you have to pay extra if you have free drinks?

Depends on your package.  With the standard "Premium Beverage Package" you get a discount (I believe 15%) off the cost of bottles.  If you got Premium Plus, you get free bottles with dinner from a select list.  I find the list to be decent, generally a step up from the by the glass selections, though I don't pretend to be a wine connoisseur.  So if a nightly bottle or two is important to you, I'd suggest you spring for the Plus package ($34.80/day pp.)  It would seem to pay for itself.

Edited by phillygwm

Wine and "alcohol." That last is a bit loose for interpretation.

How about hard seltzers? Neither wine nor hard liquor (being about beer level alcohol content). 

I switched from wine to a sugar-free hard seltzer. I'm losing weight and enjoy the seltzers (don't judge me). Even if the ships are carrying White Claw, it's not sugar-free. Anybody have a good recipe for emulating hard seltzer with typical bar ingredients?

43 minutes ago, IMNOFUN said:

Wine and "alcohol." That last is a bit loose for interpretation.

How about hard seltzers? Neither wine nor hard liquor (being about beer level alcohol content). 

I switched from wine to a sugar-free hard seltzer. I'm losing weight and enjoy the seltzers (don't judge me). Even if the ships are carrying White Claw, it's not sugar-free. Anybody have a good recipe for emulating hard seltzer with typical bar ingredients?

Claws are not sugar free? Easiest way to make them is with seltzer and vodka, flavored vodka or infused. Vodka soda with fruit also works. Oops, I just checked my claw can, very small amount of sugar.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IMNOFUN said:

It's called a Skinny *****.  Vodka, soda, and lime.

• Like 1

In the past, I purchased the viva vino wine packages of 4,6, 8 bottles in the Atrium on the boarding day, but I don't know if NCL still offers these on most ships, particularly on the SUN and the Jewel. Anyone has the update on this and the pricing? 

On 6/25/2022 at 12:35 PM, laudergayle said:

If this was my business, and I have already sold you the drink package…why wouldn’t I want you to bring and drink your own wine.  Just less of my wine you’ll drink.

And people argued this very point on Cruise Critic for years.  🤦🏼‍♀️

• Like 1