Favourite martini

sunlover33

1 hour ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

Anyone a fan of the Gibson? Cocktail onions as the only garnish gives this martini its name. I do like this version, and it brings no tears to my eyes.

Yes, I find it interesting that when they changed the olive to an onion they also changed the name of the drink. Now everything in an up glass is a "Martini".

Edited by JL87

I'm a purist!  As far as I'm concerned there is only one drink that should bear the name "Martini"!  The only variation should be either gin or vodka.  Me, I like a vodka martini, preferably with Belvidere vodka, with three olives, the way James Bond would take it!

Elvis

• Like 1

I'm sorry but I must point out that anything besides Gin or Vodka and Vermouth (dry or sweet) is NOT a Martini.  Anything else in a martini style cocktail glass is not a Martini but a cocktail!

On 7/2/2022 at 2:19 PM, Spif Barwunkel said:

Anyone a fan of the Gibson? Cocktail onions as the only garnish gives this martini its name. I do like this version, and it brings no tears to my eyes.

I quite enjoy a Gibson. I love the tang and zest of those cocktail olives. 

When I feel particularly interested in monkeying with the spacetime continuum, I order my gin & dry vermouth with olives AND onions. I've seen that called a "gin salad."

Who can refuse a salad like that? 

2 hours ago, talljules1 said:

Fresca martini

But not a fan of the new glasses - preferred when they were simple straight-sided. Don't know why.

New glasses?  Is there a pic somewhere?

On 7/2/2022 at 6:41 AM, Schmoe38 said:

We were served this one on our sailing up the Pacific Coast in May of this year. 

Our original plan was to work our way through the menu, but that was sidelined a bit at the opening when we asked if there were any “special” martinis that were not on the menu. That’s when we were introduced to the Toasted Almond Martini. 

I can’t guarantee that the bartenders at the Martini Bar on Infinity will know about this one, but I suspect your chances at getting one (or more) will be quite high.

Have a Wonderful cruise!

Randy

Live from infinity - Martini Bar bartender said he’s not familiar with this one, but happy to make one if I can tell him the ingredients! Can you help, pretty please? 😁 

Edited by towel-animal

48 minutes ago, towel-animal said:

Live from infinity - Martini Bar bartender said he’s not familiar with this one, but happy to make one if I can tell him the ingredients! Can you help, pretty please? 😁 

Give this to bartender and see if this helps.

Randy

• 1.0 Martini Glass (chilled)
  • 1.0 Shaker/Strainer with Ice
  • 1/2oz Disaronno Liqueur 
  • 1.0oz Kahlua Liqueur
  • 1/2oz Half & Half Cream
  • Thanks 1

I have mentioned this in other martini threads. Let's see how it goes over here. Your liquor is strictly gin or vodka, whichever your preference, with or without dry vermouth. It is the garnish that drastically changes. You really have to like all the ingredients, or it won't work. 

Remove the pimento from two queen olives, Stuff one olive with fresh bleu cheese and the other olive with an un-rinsed whole anchovy. Place the olives into a chilled martini glass and pour liquid slowly over the olives. Your Bleufish Martini is now ready. If caught using pre-stuffed olives your martini license will be revoked.

These olives go well in a Gimlet also, as a contrast to the sweet lime juice. I love olives, bleu cheese and anchovies. So, for me it works.

• Like 2

Unfortunately my favorite Martini includes Russian Standard which was well stocked until the Ukraine invasion. I guess now I’ll go with Stoli since most people now know that’s not made in Russia any longer. I still have my unopened bottle here at home of my Hammer and Sickle Russian vodka but refuse to open it as it may be forever to replace with the politics now. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 7/3/2022 at 4:47 PM, 2inTul said:

I'm sorry but I must point out that anything besides Gin or Vodka and Vermouth (dry or sweet) is NOT a Martini.  Anything else in a martini style cocktail glass is not a Martini but a cocktail!

You, my friend, are the only one that makes sense!

Elvis

• Like 1

Okay, okay, okay……NOW we have some tension in the hopeful household… “DH”……says the topic of desert cocktails being called “martini” speaks to the degradation of our society.  He says if it doesn’t make sense to put an olive in it, then it shouldn’t be called a martini!  Thems fighting words!  He says it must be a clear beverage with gin or vodka and vermouth (and the adornment of an olive) to earn the right to be called a martini!  I asked him that if that is the case, how will I order my creamy, flavorful after dinner cocktail at the martini bar (because he doesn’t believe they will serve anything but a “proper” martini there)…I said, “WHAT?” (Those were my exact words) and now…we may have to cancel our cruise (tic).  So the question is, can I get a chocolate martini at the martini bar?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, HopefulCruiser123 said:

......  He says if it doesn’t make sense to put an olive in it, then it shouldn’t be called a martini!  Thems fighting words!  He says it must be a clear beverage with gin or vodka and vermouth (and the adornment of an olive) to earn the right to be called a martini!  ......

and heaven forbid... they Shake it😉.. to be a martini it should be stired!!!!!

Edited by groryjm
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, HopefulCruiser123 said:

Okay, okay, okay……NOW we have some tension in the hopeful household… “DH”……says the topic of desert cocktails being called “martini” speaks to the degradation of our society.  He says if it doesn’t make sense to put an olive in it, then it shouldn’t be called a martini!  Thems fighting words!  He says it must be a clear beverage with gin or vodka and vermouth (and the adornment of an olive) to earn the right to be called a martini!  I asked him that if that is the case, how will I order my creamy, flavorful after dinner cocktail at the martini bar (because he doesn’t believe they will serve anything but a “proper” martini there)…I said, “WHAT?” (Those were my exact words) and now…we may have to cancel our cruise (tic).  So the question is, can I get a chocolate martini at the martini bar. 

The answer is most definitely YES!  They will even write your name in chocolate on the top.  Delicious!

On 2/2/2024 at 6:45 PM, HopefulCruiser123 said:

So the question is, can I get a chocolate martini at the martini bar?

Yes, you can order and receive a chocolate martini at the Martini Bar. 

However, I agree with your husband about what a true martini is.  I mean, it is not a Cosmopolitan martini, or a Sidecar martini.  

It is nice to see this thread resurrected. It is entertaining and provides a respite from more serious topics regarding the cruising life. Obviously, the basic bare-naked martini (by definition), has been dressed up over the years and its many concocted wardrobes reflect the eccentricity of those who partake of this popular elixir. Some purists will hold firm to their unpolluted clear philter, unwilling to partake of any of the dressed-up versions. Others will reluctantly succumb to the urge to try another kind of the many martinis lined up and down the martini bar. That's okay, you will not be judged and the more martinis that you consume, the less you will care if you are.         

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Yes, you can order and receive a chocolate martini at the Martini Bar. 

However, I agree with your husband about what a true martini is.  I mean, it is not a Cosmopolitan martini, or a Sidecar martini.  

My favorite martini is a dry Belvedere martini, with olives, not dirty.  

Edited by zitsky
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, groryjm said:

Stirred I hope! None of his 90s shaken cr....

Just freeze the gin. And mix it in the glass. That's what they do at Duke's. Where Fleming had his martinis...

i-bz2hGJZ-X2.jpg

I've read a couple of (probably urban legend) stories that shaking would slightly dilute the martini, which would make it minimally less potent for an assassin...

(Shaking also theoretically chills it faster, which might be important if you don't have much time until your next hit. Not horribly relevant to most people who don't carry a double O designation...)

Shaking is pretty much for show these day. 

On 7/4/2022 at 5:56 PM, zitsky said:

Thank God y’all allow martinis with vodka.  I can’t stand gin.  Don’t know why you drink it.

Try Hendricks..too smooth…