Booked a guarantee balcony on Odyssey Transatlantic 22 April 2023

Looking for experiences from others that booked guarantee balcony on Odyssey.   We are Diamond, not sure that helps us much on what cabin we get?

Is a TA cruise likely to be fully sold out, not sure COVID19 will be a huge factor in 2023.

Odds are you will be assigned an obstructed balcony on deck 6.  That isn't a sure thing, they could assign a normal un-obstructed balcony.  

Fortunately the Quantum class ships are mostly balcony cabins.  With so many balcony cabins there is a lot of possibilities. 

I once booked an oceanview GTY on a sister ship thinking I'd get a cabin with a window.  They assigned me a regular balcony cabin with no obstruction.   I spun the GTY wheel and I got lucky.  That isn't a sure thing.  

Hello, 4774Papa. I am a veteran of at least 16 TransAtlanics. My husband and I loved them. In the beginning, they were lightly booked because dearth of ports was a turnoff. Over time that changed. Our preference was from West to East because I like to get the flying out of the way and Europe is not crammed with tourists. Barcelona and Lisbon are charming cities and we stayed at least a week before our voyage. No matter what balcony you get, using it will probably be a sometime thing. Both directions are not in the warmest seasons and engine speed is also a factor. There was one exception on our travels. We booked an accidental repositioning from Galveston to Rouen in the summer. For the entire trip the Atlantic was a soup bowl, no waves and very light breezes.

14 minutes ago, warburg said:

For the entire trip the Atlantic was a soup bowl, no waves and very light breezes.

We had this happen to us on a westward TA in October once.  Even the captain on his noon talks thought it was eerie and kinda creepy.  I now know what the old seagoing word "doldrums" means.

4 hours ago, 4774Papa said:

Looking for experiences from others that booked guarantee balcony on Odyssey.   We are Diamond, not sure that helps us much on what cabin we get?

Is a TA cruise likely to be fully sold out, not sure COVID19 will be a huge factor in 2023.

All cabins sold, probably. Lots of solo cruisers and very few kids. We have done several Oasis Class TA's and they sail with 1200 fewer kids. Last TA on Symphony there were 10 kids under 16.

1 hour ago, warburg said:

Hello, 4774Papa. I am a veteran of at least 16 TransAtlanics. My husband and I loved them. In the beginning, they were lightly booked because dearth of ports was a turnoff. Over time that changed. Our preference was from West to East because I like to get the flying out of the way and Europe is not crammed with tourists. Barcelona and Lisbon are charming cities and we stayed at least a week before our voyage. No matter what balcony you get, using it will probably be a sometime thing. Both directions are not in the warmest seasons and engine speed is also a factor. There was one exception on our travels. We booked an accidental repositioning from Galveston to Rouen in the summer. For the entire trip the Atlantic was a soup bowl, no waves and very light breezes.

We also like transatlantic and transpacific cruises.   We have done one eastbound TA and two westbound TA as well as one TP.  We had two TA cruises cancelled in the last two years due to COVID19 (both were westbound).  The only TA with some stormy waves was one from Copenhagen.  The North Sea and English Channel was the fun part.   

2 hours ago, flamingos said:

We'll be on that ship with you. Make sure you start looking for return flights to the US, they are pricy and filling up.  🙂

Already booked, used miles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1