Dress for men on non-formal nights

brucedodge

This is NOT meant to start a dress code war, but a legitimate question.  

My wife and I will be on the QM2 NYC to Southampton.  We have an A1 guarantee, and were upgraded to PG once before, so it could happen.  I always take my tuxedo for formal nights, but this time I do not have space for an additional sport coat/blazer to wear on non-formal nights.  I'd be happy to wear a ship-supplied coat, but have no idea if this is done.  As of now I'll be planning on a nice long sleeve dress shirt, possibly with tie or vest, and dark trousers.  I know some might be troubled that I may not have a coat on, but we are continuing from Southampton on another line for three weeks going to the Baltic and Norway and I need the luggage space for that cruise.  So the question is:  will I fit in adequately given the Cunard dress tradition?

Thanks

Bruce

Sport coats are no longer mandatory on non-formal nights. As the Cunard website explains, "Smart attire simply means a dress shirt and trousers, skirt and a top, or a cocktail dress.

• Like 1

bracedodge,

We were on the QM2 7 weeks ago. About half the gentlemen did not wear a jacket on casual nights. You will be fine. A long sleeve dress shirt more than meets the requirements. Interestingly, of the half that did wear a sports coat/blazer, a large number also wore a tie. I enjoy wearing a blazer to the casual nights on the QM2 but like for you, it is a packing issue. My solution is to wear it on the plane and on my non-ship travels. One of the benefits of this is that we have often been treated a little better than those meeting minimum dress requirements. This has included flight and hotel upgrades and seating preferences in restaurants. And it is so easy to do. 

Hope this helps.

Jack

• Like 4

One description given, and I can't remember where, suggested a shirt with a collar was adequate on smart attire nights.

I watched one vlogger suggest that the polo shirt they were wearing met that criteria!

I just packed my partner's formal wear for our upcoming trip - which is 34 days on one cruise and 20 days on a different cruise all on QE . For evenings he's taking 

• one black suit
  • one black waistcoat 
  • one pair of dress blue trousers (suit trousers not chinos) 
  • one formal  white shirt 
  • 2 x long-sleeved business shirts 
  • 2x short-sleeved business shirts 
  • 1 x black leather shoes 
  • 1 x  dance shoes  
  • 2 x dress socks (nearly forgot those!) 
  • 1 black belt (bought a non-leather one as its more flexible and lighter and more comfortable apparently) 

Everything in the picture - the socks, belt, ties went in his formal shoes - the dance shoes  in the plastic bag will go flat once I finish packing   This one check bag between us will stay in Barcelona while we tour Europe for 6 weeks between cruises - so this trip is requiring some fairly interesting packing decisions! 

291197110_10226929118307615_1146758575920889243_n.jpg

291740347_10226929091186937_1132473563371885051_n.jpg

Edited by lissie
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, exlondoner said:

This is completely a matter of chance, I think, but, as I always say, the air conditioning can sometimes be quite vicious, and you might be glad of a jacket. Why not wear it onto the plane?

Thanks for this topic.  My husband invariably travels in a blazer.  Next year, we will take our first Cunard cruise, and so my husband is thinking of packing  a smart business suit for formal nights.  Will he be noticeable — sticking out like a sore thumb?  Smart casual nights are no problem.

Sorry, host Hattie,  for taking a detour, but I want the couple from Tucson to know that our favourite place to stay there is The Arizona Inn, and our favourite restaurant in AZ is Vivace’s.

3 minutes ago, escrick said:

Thanks for this topic.  My husband invariably travels in a blazer.  Next year, we will take our first Cunard cruise, and so my husband is thinking of packing  a smart business suit for formal nights.  Will he be noticeable — sticking out like a sore thumb?  Smart casual nights are no problem.

Sorry, host Hattie,  for taking a detour, but I want the couple from Tucson to know that our favourite place to stay there is The Arizona Inn, and our favourite restaurant in AZ is Vivace’s.

A dark business suit is completely fine.

Just now, escrick said:

Thank you, but will he be in a noticeable minority?

Probably a minority, but not remotely noticeable, unless, in addition, he is walking on stilts or balancing a vase of flowers on his head. Worry not.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, escrick said:

Whew, he will leave his stints at home😊.  Thanks for the chuckle.

Oh good, it struck me too late that I might be sounding patronising. Clearly you saw that was not my intention. 😀

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

Oh good, it struck me too late that I might be sounding patronising. Clearly you saw that was not my intention. 😀

Of course, I meant “stilts,” but stints —??  

• Like 1

Thanks to those who replied.  I might have accidentally reposted this as I didn't think it took the first time.  Sorry if that's happened

And to exlondoner: Yes, the Arizona Inn and Vivace's serve our personal needs VERY well.

My husband will wear a jacket, with and without a tie depending on the shirt. However, that is his choice as a bit of a traditionalist and a man not really used to going  casual of a Cunard evening.

You will be perfectly correct if you don't wear your jacket and  your attire would be applicable throughout the ship, whatever the restaurant you will dine in.

28 minutes ago, brucedodge said:

Thanks to those who replied.  I might have accidentally reposted this as I didn't think it took the first time.  Sorry if that's happened

And to exlondoner: Yes, the Arizona Inn and Vivace's serve our personal needs VERY well.

No, not me, escrick I think.

On 7/2/2022 at 7:29 PM, brucedodge said:

This is NOT meant to start a dress code war, but a legitimate question.  

My wife and I will be on the QM2 NYC to Southampton.  We have an A1 guarantee, and were upgraded to PG once before, so it could happen.  I always take my tuxedo for formal nights, but this time I do not have space for an additional sport coat/blazer to wear on non-formal nights.  I'd be happy to wear a ship-supplied coat, but have no idea if this is done.  As of now I'll be planning on a nice long sleeve dress shirt, possibly with tie or vest, and dark trousers.  I know some might be troubled that I may not have a coat on, but we are continuing from Southampton on another line for three weeks going to the Baltic and Norway and I need the luggage space for that cruise.  So the question is:  will I fit in adequately given the Cunard dress tradition?

Thanks

Bruce

Wear the blazer while boarding in NYC. that way you will have both the blazer and the tux. I always wear either a suit or blazer with tie etc. when boarding. It tends to set the proper tone or a trans Atlantic voyage.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Lakesregion said:

Wear the blazer while boarding in NYC. that way you will have both the blazer and the tux. I always wear either a suit or blazer with tie etc. when boarding. It tends to set the proper tone or a trans Atlantic voyage.

and just in case  brucedodge is a newbie, or any potential newbie is reading this and gets spooked by the phrase 'proper tone', there is no 'proper tone', just personal preference.

You can board a Cunard ship whether taking a TA or 'just' a cruise in full black tie attire  if you wish to save packing woes, or like me dress for comfort in your jeans and trainers. 🙂

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Lakesregion said:

You mean  the weather is going to be pretty cool?  there is no tone to be set while standing  for hours in the queues for boarding - regardless of the cruise line - except maybe trackpants to facilitate sitting on the floor when you get tired of standing 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 7/4/2022 at 2:37 AM, Lakesregion said:

Spot on with the joining blazer Sir...

1101337597_RichardBarbarawithBellBoys.thumb.jpg.7caaff5f59aed88872e473ec50a7bac9.jpg

Edited by Solent Richard
  • Like 3

On 7/4/2022 at 3:37 AM, Lakesregion said:

21 minutes ago, Solent Richard said:

Spot on with the joining blazer Sir...

1101337597_RichardBarbarawithBellBoys.thumb.jpg.7caaff5f59aed88872e473ec50a7bac9.jpg

Indeed this is both, the simple answer to any packing issues people claim and the proper tone for any Cunard voyage.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, lissie said:

Meanwhile back in the real world... Sydney Feb 2020 - this was the good bit - inside in the semi-a/c - the queue outside was much worse in over 30C 

IMG_5052.JPG

This is my special document.docx 13.78 kB · 2 downloads

Oh  - obviously leather jackets are more suitable for higher temperatures than a blazer.   ???

Seriously, sorry, this looks more like a queue at check out at Home Depot than what I am used to from Cunard voyages.

• Like 2