Are men required to wear a jacket after 6pm all evenings in public spaces?

C-sea

33 minutes ago, commodoredave said:

The only exception to this rule might be the hot tub. Otherwise I'm onside! 😂

Yes, wearing a jacket in the hot tub would be silly. 

But a gentleman would not remove his tie. 

Edited by Tothesunset
  • Haha 4

22 hours ago, RetiredandTravel said:

Everyone knows the SS dress code

Except they don't. Why would there be repeated questions on this site if that were the case? The original post in this thread legitimately questions the ambiguously worded language in Silversea's packing suggestions; it's unclear if/when/where jackets are required after 6 pm in venues other than the restaurants. It's similarly unclear what the different requirements are for expedition cruises, which are not mentioned in that section of the website at all.

For those who want to see Silversea enforce their dress code, it would be good to communicate to Silversea that the first thing they need it is to re-write the unclear language on their website, and to put it in a more prominent location so all customers are more likely to read it before cruising. I suspect they don't do so because the marking people feel a prominent "Dress Code" section might scare off some potential passengers — the same ones who show up for a cruise unprepared to comply with th dress code they haven't seen. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

Except they don't. Why would there be repeated questions on this site if that were the case? The original post in this thread legitimately questions the ambiguously worded language in Silversea's packing suggestions; it's unclear if/when/where jackets are required after 6 pm in venues other than the restaurants. It's similarly unclear what the different requirements are for expedition cruises, which are not mentioned in that section of the website at all.

For those who want to see Silversea enforce their dress code, it would be good to communicate to Silversea that the first thing they need it is to re-write the unclear language on their website, and to put it in a more prominent location so all customers are more likely to read it before cruising. I suspect they don't do so because the marking people feel a prominent "Dress Code" section might scare off some potential passengers — the same ones who show up for a cruise unprepared to comply with th dress code they haven't seen. 

It is quite clear that you can't wear shorts or jeans tho isn't it.  I sorry but I have no sympathy for someone who didn't spend the 15 minutes of research necessary to know the dress code.  Take a jacket with you on your next cruise and ask a couple questions you'll be all set.  Really how can such a trivial event like taking and wearing some decent clothes on a cruise be such a big deal.

Edited by RetiredandTravel

22 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

I suspect they don't do so because the marking people feel a prominent "Dress Code" section might scare off some potential passengers — the same ones who show up for a cruise unprepared to comply with th dress code they haven't seen.

I tend to agree.  Silversea's fleet is growing while the number of customers who enjoy Silversea's dress code is shrinking.  That's just the way it is.  Standards change, and they've largely loosened over the last 100 years or more.  If they hadn't, then men would be in white tie, tails, and waistcoats.  If they hadn't, then you ladies would be lacing up your corsets before dinner each night.  While I'm fairly certain someone around here may wish for those days, I'm far more confident that the lion's share of us do not.

Standards have changed, and we all have to deal with that.  I'm fine wearing a jacket for a few reasons.  Regardless, it doesn't bother me in the least to wear one during the evening and night on a cruise ship.  However, it also doesn't bother me in the least when someone doesn't.

As for shorts, jeans, and what-not, I tend to agree that sort of thing is acceptable only when it cannot be helped (such as the late or lost luggage example).  If someone is doing that intentionally, then that tells me a lot about that person, but then I move on.  You see, that's the thing.  I move on.

I can get my head around someone desiring and enforcing a dress code.  I can get my head around someone not being aware of the dress code when it's buried on the website (because I've seen that, myself).  I can get my head around someone rebelling against a dress code.  What I cannot get my head around is all the hand wringing that goes on about it both here and on board a ship.

1 minute ago, RetiredandTravel said:

Really how can such a trivial event like taking and wearing some descent cloths on a cruise be such a big deal.

I challenge you to answer your own question.  If it is so trivial, then why is it so important to you?

I'll take my answer off the air, though (so to speak).  Y'all have fun continuing this for another few pages until the next one comes along.  Surely, I have a martini calling.

• Like 8

What I can't get my head around is sailing on a ship with so many judgmental people.  I do bring a sport coat, but I don't also bring a dark suit and I don't like being told what I have to wear.  So many Silversea isn't for me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DCPIV said:

but then I move on.  You see, that's the thing.  I move on.

same here DCPIV.  I do see.  If there's one thing the way things are today is teaching me, its I need to move on.  Not let this or that opinion get to me, just move on past it if I don't like it.

43 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Silversea isn't for me.

Say it ain't so Host Jazzbeau.  2 or 3 judgmental people (see that word 'mental' in the word 🙂) won't get me to move on elsewhere - because I expect at least that many would be wherever I went.

OTOH, dear wife has convinced me to try RCLwith a group of her friends because that's where her friends like to go...

I think Host Jazzbeau is doing the exact right thing.  He doesn't want to be told what to wear.  Is his solution to say "Screw them" and go on SS and ignore and flaunt the dress code and wear whatever he wants with a sense of entitlement?  No.   He's decided to find another cruise line that doesn't have those codes.  So kudos to him.

As far as the "just move on" mentality, I think that can be overdone too.  Of course there is a time and a place to pick a battle, but if a guy walks into the dining room with a Simpsons t-shirt, cargo shorts, a backward baseball cap and flip flops, and sits next to your table, should you really just shrug your shoulders and move on?  I don't think you should confront the guy ala Tony Soprano (one of the best scenes in The Sopranos was Tony telling a young kid to take off his hat in a nice restaurant).  But going to the Maitre'd and asking them to enforce their own dress codes is easy enough to do.

"Just moving on" too often leads to others taking advantage and getting away with it, and getting the message that it's okay to do so because no one stood up to them.  You've simply emboldened them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RetiredandTravel said:

I sorry but I have no sympathy for someone who didn't spend the 15 minutes of research necessary to know the dress code.  Take a jacket with you on your next cruise and ask a couple questions you'll be all set.  Really how can such a trivial event like taking and wearing some decent clothes on a cruise be such a big deal.

If you look back to the first post in this thread, it is someone asking for clarification about the dress code — which we've shown is not completely clear — exactly so they can comply when they cruise. What's wrong with that? And "Take a jacket and you'll be all set" isn't complete information, either, because some will complain if they don't have a suit, a dark suit, and/or a tie. So all of this — well, most of it — is just about people seeking clarity about (a) what the rules are, (b) what's rule versus suggestion, and (c) what the unwritten rules are. If Silversea would make the dress code more complete and clear, and easier to find, it would cut down immensely on the dress code questions posted on this forum.

• Like 2

Does anyone actually worry about "judgmental people" ? You meet them on these boards and in real life including on cruise ships. I try to ignore them realizing that I can't be everyone's best buddy. It does surprise me though that anyone would consider avoiding a particular cruise line because of largely anonymous comments by a few individuals on a board. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

What I can't get my head around is sailing on a ship with so many judgmental people.  

You know which ones are judgmental, though. 

You can tell just by looking at them. 

• Haha 1

There are a lot of judgmental people who cross the line when they choose to behave in such a way that they interfere with the enjoyment of others. We all know that. Who knows why they choose to bring that baggage onto the ship, but a few do. And then they can clash with those who have been there before- the "there" where they have seen these behaviours and either ignore them, call them out, complain to management or freeze them out of their social circle. Different strokes for different strokes.

Ok, then. But it irks me personally when the cruise line has explicit and/or implicit codes of behaviour such as a dress code and/or a standard of dress that is apparent upon entering a beautiful setting such as the Panorama Bar in the evening. The "take me or leave me" attitude of those people is a wonderment; maybe if they were children, social revolutionary wannabes in college, or mentally/emotionally challenged, well, they would get some understanding... Tony Soprano got it, and I expect we all we know what he meant about the cap.

But on Silversea classic ships and cruises which have their traditions and an overwhelmingly supportive client base? Not really. The "take it or leave it" attitude for "precious me" is, well, childish, self-serving crassness. Personally, I would probably sit as far as possible away from him/her and would report the silliness up the line if they hollered and squealed, like a spoiled and misbehaving child. Maybe that would elicit a visit my the Hotel Director to see for him/herself and speak to them. After all, we can put up with a lot in a house of worship for services, but we don't have to indulge others in a refined hotel that happens to float on the sea, for that matter.

Happy or healthy sailing!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Mr Luxury said:

You could always wear your life jacket in the hot tub.

I don't want to be judgmental, but I don't see life jackets listed anywhere in the SS dress code. Good thing -- some one might wear one on formal night without a tie!! 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, commodoredave said:

I don't want to be judgmental, but I don't see life jackets listed anywhere in the SS dress code. Good thing -- some one might wear one on formal night without a tie!! 😂

I am never surprised by how some people turn up to dinner.

Let's hope we see it one day 😀

• Like 1

Let me give everybody a dose of reality. We are currently on the Moon. Last night we had dinner in La Dame and at the table next to us, a family of four came in and Father and son both were wearing jeans and not a word was said. The night before was formal and there were more than a few men in jeans and not wearing a tie. One was even in the captain's reception. Do I care, heck no. Do I abide by the dress code, heck yes. People are going to do what they want to do. Time to get over ourselves folks as times are a changing!! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, A Tucson Guy said:

Let me give everybody a dose of reality. We are currently on the Moon. Last night we had dinner in La Dame and at the table next to us, a family of four came in and Father and son both were wearing jeans and not a word was said. The night before was formal and there were more than a few men in jeans and not wearing a tie. One was even in the captain's reception. Do I care, heck no. Do I abide by the dress code, heck yes. People are going to do what they want to do. Time to get over ourselves folks as times are a changing!! 

It is a shame to see some folks on Formal night wearing jeans and no ties.  I know it is black tie optional, but I thought there is a requirement for at least a jacket.  But I do know that you can go casual and have dinner in La Terrazza, so perhaps that's what those people were doing?

As far as La Dame, what was the dress code that night?  Informal or Casual?  If casual, there really isn't much to complaint about.  

There's not a separate dress code for La Dame, right?  If you are eating there, you just follow the dress code for the ship as a whole, correct?

When we did La Dame on our last cruise, I think it was casual night.  I wore a blazer, no tie.  Most of the people in there wore coats and tie, there was at least two men who came in without jackets at all.  I think people tend to dress up for La Dame just because it is costing them $120 for the dinner.

Keep in mind that it's always possible — not probable, but possible — that someone's luggage was lost and they're showing up for dinner in the very limited clothing they have available, rather than by fashion choice. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rothko1 said:

It is a shame to see some folks on Formal night wearing jeans and no ties.  I know it is black tie optional, but I thought there is a requirement for at least a jacket.  But I do know that you can go casual and have dinner in La Terrazza, so perhaps that's what those people were doing?

As far as La Dame, what was the dress code that night?  Informal or Casual?  If casual, there really isn't much to complaint about.  

There's not a separate dress code for La Dame, right?  If you are eating there, you just follow the dress code for the ship as a whole, correct?

When we did La Dame on our last cruise, I think it was casual night.  I wore a blazer, no tie.  Most of the people in there wore coats and tie, there was at least two men who came in without jackets at all.  I think people tend to dress up for La Dame just because it is costing them $120 for the dinner.

Last night was informal night but jeans are supposed to not be allowed even on casual nights in La Dame and most other restaurants. The family I mentioned are a good looking family speaking English and Portuguese. I saw them on formal night and they not wearing jeans. My point is that people don't always follow the supposed rules and in this regard, I am OK with that. Much ado about nothing.

11 minutes ago, A Tucson Guy said:

jeans are supposed to not be allowed even on casual nights in La Dame and most other restaurants. 

This is a remarkable thread. But I do not believe that there has been sufficient discussion of the ontology of jeans.  What is/are jeans?   Must they be blue?  Must they have metal studs at the pockets?  Etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Observer said:

This is a remarkable thread. But I do not believe that there has been sufficient discussion of the ontology of jeans.  What is/are jeans?   Must they be blue?  Must they have metal studs at the pockets?  Etc.

Given that ethics have had a good run in this thread broadening the topic to ontology is a public service.