Your favorite cruise embarkation port?

7 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Want to escape mid-America winter? Head in the other direction to California and Hawaii.

Really?  Now you’re telling people their preferred embarkation ports are wrong?  This egocentrism really needs to stop. Seriously. Please stop. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

We sailed from Manhattan but stayed in Brooklyn the night before.  Partly because we found a great deal, partly because not familiar enough with the city to realize we were a ways from the port.  Our little boutique hotel was in a fantastic location to see the downtown sites, but farther from the port.

We are probably also not familiar enough with the buses--I mean, we live in the country, nearest town is 300 people!  We could have figured it out--have in many other places--but Uber worked well.

I think you mis understand.  In the Northeast part of the USA we still have a pretty active network of intercity buses (such as Greyhound, Trailways, etc) that are relatively easy to access from many medium size towns.  The buses are clean, safe, and there are many routes that end at the Port Authority Building located on the NYC side of the Lincoln Tunnel.  For those of us that live within a few hours of NYC the buses are always an option and sometimes faster and more convenient than the trains (another story).  Once in NYC at the Port Authority Bus Terminal folks can access taxis, Uber or even the subway (if you have enough guts).   There is also an ugly reality that the area around the Port Authority Building (and inside) is not NYC at its best (I am being kind).

For out of towners coming to NYC we would suggest that using Uber or taxis to get around is a very good idea.  Currently we would not suggest that folks use the subways until the new mayor gets that system under control (in terms of safety from crime).  Before anyone flames me, I am not being political but simply being a realist.  I was born in the city, been around it (on a regular basis) forever, have a DD and Grandchildren who live in the city, and visit on a regular basis (we usually drive and park on the street).  NYC is still one of the best tourist cities in the world but folks need to use common sense, be street wise, and understand that there are some safety issues.

Hank

• Like 2

Favorite (s) :classic_smile:

Sydney...Sydney Opera House...and the rest of this beautiful city within walking distance.

Hong Kong...spectacular skyline.

San Francisco...sailing under the Golden Gate Bridge.

Venice...view of the Grand Canal (sigh...no more)

Dubai...it's sensory overload.

Yokohama...the most architecturally beautiful cruise terminal.

Papeete...gateway to the breathtakinf South Pacific islands.

Barcelona...Las Ramblas.

Istanbul...Hagia Sophia.

Fort Lauderdale/Miami...sentimental reasons.

Edited by bonsai3s
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Hlitner said:

In the Northeast part of the USA we still have a pretty active network of intercity buses (such as Greyhound, Trailways, etc) that are relatively easy to access from many medium size towns.  The buses are clean, safe...

Here in the Midwest, intercity coaches have at least one crazy mutterer.

We're only slightly better off than Nebr.cruiser, every port is at least two flights away. I like Ft. Lauderdale and San Diego for ease of travel between the airport and ship, will soon add Boston to that list, I hope.

Barcelona have been our easiest European port, great city, too. Piraeus and Civitavecchia were slightly more bother with even better cities.

• Like 1

Public transportation, except in Omaha and Lincoln, is mostly non-existant in our big, far flung state.  I do envy people who can hop on a bus or train and be in one of the Northeast cities fairly quickly and easily.  

Sure easier than getting up at 2 AM (really, we don't even go to bed) for a 6 AM or 7AM flight out of Omaha.  However, I'll take a little inconvenience (or a lot) to live in our peaceful rural areas.  We can visit the cities and then get out of them!

Easiest port, to me is Fort Lauderdale followed by San Diego.We seem to be finding more and more non-stop flights, often on the 'bargain' airlines, than we used to.

The topic of "easiest ports" got me thinking.  For us it was Istanbul when we were embarking on a Princess cruise.  Our hotel was less than a mile from the port and we had booked our own hotel and had to handle our own transfers (usually a very good thing).  Checked-out of the hotel after breakfast and the Concierge had our luggage retrieved from our room and loaded in our taxi.  Two minutes later we arrived at the nearby pier (it was only about 10:30am) and got out of the taxi.  A porter immediately took all of our luggage (without groveling for a tip) and we walked to the nearby check-in desk.  After checking our tickets (this is still when cruise line's issued real tickets" we were immediately taken onto the ship (with a porter carrying our carry-on luggage) and ushered to our cabin.  From hotel to cabin was no more than 15 minutes and Princess had no issues with early boarding or accessing cabins in the morning.   I assume the procedures are a bit more complex these days.

Hank

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

The topic of "easiest ports" got me thinking.  For us it was Istanbul when we were embarking on a Princess cruise.  Our hotel was less than a mile from the port and we had booked our own hotel and had to handle our own transfers (usually a very good thing).  Checked-out of the hotel after breakfast and the Concierge had our luggage retrieved from our room and loaded in our taxi.  Two minutes later we arrived at the nearby pier (it was only about 10:30am) and got out of the taxi.  A porter immediately took all of our luggage (without groveling for a tip) and we walked to the nearby check-in desk.  After checking our tickets (this is still when cruise line's issued real tickets" we were immediately taken onto the ship (with a porter carrying our carry-on luggage) and ushered to our cabin.  From hotel to cabin was no more than 15 minutes and Princess had no issues with early boarding or accessing cabins in the morning.   I assume the procedures are a bit more complex these days.

Hank

Had a similar experience boarding the Grand Princess in l998 in Istanbul - did wait a short time but arrived early, only about 5 passengers waiting, boarding was swift.  

11 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I wonder what it was like for passengers to check-in and embark on the liners of the 1950's and 1960's.  

I cannot speak to the 50s and 60s but can post about the mid 70s.  In those days (and for many years thereafter) many cruise lines would mail (remember snail mail?) pretty large packets containing the many page cruise ticket, embarkation info, rules, etc.  These often came in very nice folders with some of the better lines using real leather.  I still have about 20 of these folders (some from lines long out of business such as Sitmar, Orient, Regency, etc).  The folders were nice keepsakes.  You also got decent pre-printed luggage tags.  Of course these days most lines provide this stuff online and you will often need a single page boarding pass (or just a UPC code on your phone) to get through embarkation.  

My parents took many so-called "liners" in the 50s - 60s and I remember them going on American Export Lines, Cunard, and a few others.  I also remember my mother packing a huge Steamer Trunk (these things were like a closet and could weigh close to 100 pounds when packed) which they would ship to the port using "Railway Express."  In those days the Railway Express truck would show up at our home, the driver would take away the trunks, and my parents would next see their stuff when they entered their "Stateroom."  My mother would tell us of the excellent Cabin Stewards who would have her stuff unpacked and stored by the time they arrived at their "Stateroom."  In those days many of the ships still had a class system (my parents would go first class) which is something that seems to be returning today.   Just consider the MSC Yacht Club, NCL Haven Suites, Celebrity Retreat Suites, etc. which are actually a throwback to what existed before the movement towards single class cruising (this mostly happened in the 70s).

Unlike some here on CC I am a big fan of the class system.  Why?  Some folks are willing to pay more money (sometimes a lot more money) for better cuisine and service.  Others want to pay the least and have little interest in haute cuisine, service from deck stewards, etc.  A class system accommodates the different levels that many folks desire.  While some are happy with their tacos or burgers, there are others who want their escargot and caviar.  A class system makes it possible for folks to customize their cruise experience to what satisfies their wants and budget.

Hank

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I cannot speak to the 50s and 60s but can post about the mid 70s.  In those days (and for many years thereafter) many cruise lines would mail (remember snail mail?) pretty large packets containing the many page cruise ticket, embarkation info, rules, etc.  These often came in very nice folders with some of the better lines using real leather.  I still have about 20 of these folders (some from lines long out of business such as Sitmar, Orient, Regency, etc).  The folders were nice keepsakes.  You also got decent pre-printed luggage tags.  Of course these days most lines provide this stuff online and you will often need a single page boarding pass (or just a UPC code on your phone) to get through embarkation.  

My parents took many so-called "liners" in the 50s - 60s and I remember them going on American Export Lines, Cunard, and a few others.  I also remember my mother packing a huge Steamer Trunk (these things were like a closet and could weigh close to 100 pounds when packed) which they would ship to the port using "Railway Express."  In those days the Railway Express truck would show up at our home, the driver would take away the trunks, and my parents would next see their stuff when they entered their "Stateroom."  My mother would tell us of the excellent Cabin Stewards who would have her stuff unpacked and stored by the time they arrived at their "Stateroom."  In those days many of the ships still had a class system (my parents would go first class) which is something that seems to be returning today.   Just consider the MSC Yacht Club, NCL Haven Suites, Celebrity Retreat Suites, etc. which are actually a throwback to what existed before the movement towards single class cruising (this mostly happened in the 70s).

Unlike some here on CC I am a big fan of the class system.  Why?  Some folks are willing to pay more money (sometimes a lot more money) for better cuisine and service.  Others want to pay the least and have little interest in haute cuisine, service from deck stewards, etc.  A class system accommodates the different levels that many folks desire.  While some are happy with their tacos or burgers, there are others who want their escargot and caviar.  A class system makes it possible for folks to customize their cruise experience to what satisfies their wants and budget.

Hank

I understand your point of view.  Interestingly, when we cruised on the QM2, we were surprised the lowest class suite cabin was the same as a mini suite cabin on any Princess ship.   We booked a cabin just below the suite level and checked to see what the next level up was like while on board.  Cunard separates the classes by dining room categories.  

We sail every winter from Cape Liberty in Bayonne, New Jersey aboard the Anthem of the Seas. It's a very modern cruise port facility. The service is swift and efficient. 

We wish more cruise lines would sail from the Manhattan Cruise Ship Terminal. Super convenient if you live in the city and there's nothing like that sail away gazing at the dramatic New York skyline. 

Jonathan

Edited by cruiserking
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Hlitner said:

A class system accommodates the different levels that many folks desire.  While some are happy with their tacos or burgers, there are others who want their escargot and caviar.  A class system makes it possible for folks to customize their cruise experience to what satisfies their wants and budget.

I am in agreement with you.  Having been a HAL Neptune Suite guest, I was interested in what else I might experience.  That was one of my reasons for booking Yacht Club on MSC Meraviglia.  I was not disappointed!  My bucket list now includes another YC experience and/or a sailing on Silversea or Seabourn.  But, I will be perfectly happy, I expect, if my next cruise is a proposed family cruise on a Disney ship (although a dinner at their adult restaurant will be on the "to do" list).  Or, another cruise on HAL or Princess as a suite guest or not.  

A 1957 visit to Queen Mary on sailing day as a 13 year old provided vivid memories that I still have.  Pier 90 was as hectic, but, I would not call it as chaotic as it sometimes is on sailing day now.  Four gangways:  one for each of the Classes and one for us visitors.  And, there were many.  Didn't see any of the check-in areas, but, the excitement of those sailing on Queen Mary has always stuck in my mind.  That differs a bit today, I think, because of the hoops we have to jump through to even get to the gangway.  Today, I think, while we are happy to be at that point, it's almost like "we made it".

On 7/7/2022 at 4:26 PM, Hlitner said:

Some folks are willing to pay more money (sometimes a lot more money) for better cuisine and service.  Others want to pay the least and have little interest in haute cuisine, service from deck stewards, etc.  A class system accommodates the different levels that many folks desire.  While some are happy with their tacos or burgers, there are others who want their escargot and caviar.  A class system makes it possible for folks to customize their cruise experience to what satisfies their wants and budget.

But it's more complicated than this on a cruise ship. Space is a real issue. 

If the idea was really to accommodate those who want fine dining, specialty restaurants exist at all price and quality points and would be available to all on a per-meal basis. In reality what these enclaves provide is more space per passenger -- and the freedom of not having to go shoulder-to-shoulder with the masses if they don't want to.

However, that means there is demonstrably LESS space available to those "non-entitled" passengers than previously. This is the real issue I have with these "ship in a ship" concepts. How much deck space and indoor space that was previously used for venues open to all are now restricted to only certain passengers?

Suite passengers pay more because they get more space in their quarters. Why should they also get special lounges, restaurants, pool areas for their use only?  I tire of hearing that these pax are entitled to more because they pay more. They are getting the extra space they paid for -- they shouldn't also get to lionize the ship's erstwhile public space.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

But it's more complicated than this on a cruise ship. Space is a real issue. 

If the idea was really to accommodate those who want fine dining, specialty restaurants exist at all price and quality points and would be available to all on a per-meal basis. In reality what these enclaves provide is more space per passenger -- and the freedom of not having to go shoulder-to-shoulder with the masses if they don't want to.

However, that means there is demonstrably LESS space available to those "non-entitled" passengers than previously. This is the real issue I have with these "ship in a ship" concepts. How much deck space and indoor space that was previously used for venues open to all are now restricted to only certain passengers?

Suite passengers pay more because they get more space in their quarters. Why should they also get special lounges, restaurants, pool areas for their use only?  I tire of hearing that these pax are entitled to more because they pay more. They are getting the extra space they paid for -- they shouldn't also get to lionize the ship's erstwhile public space.

All true.  Space allocation is a great point.   But I can book a Pinnacle or Neptune Suite on HAL and get a very large suite, the Neptune Lounge, etc.  or I can book in the MSC Yacht Club and get a smaller suite but a ship within a ship amenities that are quite nice.  But tje MSC ships with Yacht Clubs, NCL with Haven Suites, Cunard with Grill Suites. Celebrity with Retreat amenities....they have all been designed for those space allocations.  On those lines they are not getting what you call "public space" but are getting private space designed (from the outset) for those cabins.  Compare that to HAL where they have taken public space, designed as public space for all, and reallocated it for suites or Club Orange.  or Princess who has taken part of their MDR away from the masses and allocated it for Club Suites.  of the older Celebrity ships that took Michael's (designed to serve the entire ship) and reallocated it for only a small number of suite guests.  I actually give a lot of credit to MSC and NCL for designing their new ships for "ship within a ship" versus lines like HAL which have taken space (on exisiting ships) away from the public.

But I do get your point.  DW and I would not cruise on MSC outside the Yacht Club because it is not the product that we seek.  But in the Yacht Club we do really enjoy MSC for the YC spaces as well as the times we go out with the "masses" to enjoy the other parts of the ship.  It is the best of both worlds.  Those in HAL Neptune suites will tell you how much they line the Neptune Lounge (which we think is a joke) and the few amenities they get being in those suites (like better room service breakfast).  For the price we are not impressed.

Those that cruise on MSC in the non yacht club experiences are obviously booking what they choose.  They could choose to pay a lot more money to move into the Yacht Club but their choice is to pay a lower price for less.  What is wrong with that?  Everyone is making their own choice.  DW and I make a choice not to cruise in HAL's Neptune Suites because we think it is a waste of money.  On MSC the public spaces (outside the Yacht Club) are very nice with many different entertainment venues, multiple alternative restaurants, etc. etc.  At 10:30 on MSC I can go outside the YC and choose from at least 4 or 5 live music venues.  or...I can go back into the more sedate/upscale YC and sit in their large lounge to listen to live entertainment (piano bar or perhaps a string duo). Lots of choices.  Within a day the waiters in that Yacht Club lounge will know my name, my drink preferences, etc.  They will never not ask for my cruise card or cabin number, but simply bring my drink.  The small snack buffet in that lounge operates from early in the morning until late at night (with rotating food/snack choices").  The private YC pool deck has its own buffet (and staff) that operates from breakfast until around sunset.  They also have a buffet (that changes several times a day), staff that will bring your drink (never asking for a cruise card) get you fresh towels. etc.  All this for about $400 per person day (compare that to a Neptune Suite).  When you go to the YC's dedicated restaurant, if there is something you want that is not normally on the menu you can ask the Maitre'd if it can be done...and you will usually have it the next day.

• Like 1

San Diego, hands down.  A beautiful, interesting city with lots to do pre-cruise.  I've literally walked over to the cruise terminal from my hotel.  

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Those that cruise on MSC in the non yacht club experiences are obviously booking what they choose.  They could choose to pay a lot more money to move into the Yacht Club but their choice is to pay a lower price for less.  What is wrong with that?  Everyone is making their own choice. 

You make some interesting points, but I don't think you capture the whole picture.  Maybe it's correct to say that "those that cruise MSC" book what they choose. But I would turn that statement around and say that because I can't book what I want on MSC, I choose not to cruise with them.

Now granted my circumstances may be different from yours. I am a solo traveler, so whatever you are paying for your Yacht Club experience, let me ask you:  would you pay it if you had to pay twice as much for it?  I suppose I "could" pay it if I felt it was of value, but I can't see the value of paying that much for what is on offer. I have been cruising since the 1970s (much like you), and I can't say that I have ever ordered something off the menu, nor do I particularly care whether staff onboard learn my preferences, because I don't really have set preferences. (I like variety and am unpredictable, lol.)

To address your other point, the "purpose-built" ship-within-ships by MSC and other lines perhaps don't grab back space that was once open to all (such as has been done on Celebrity).  However, if you look at a measure of how much space is available per person throughout the ship to someone who books a regular cabin that is anything less than a suite, it is less than it was before this concept of giving over additional space to suite holders came into existence. In other words, they are designed so that there is one "passenger space ratio" for suite guests and a different one for non-suite pax.

Choice is good, but to imply that someone should have to purchase a suite in order to enjoy food that is better than tacos or burgers is simply elitist.  It's one step from saying "Let them eat cake."

I still prefer the original cruising model (not the ocean liner class system) where all passengers are more or less equal once outside their cabin door. Guess I grew up with the idea that the whole ship was mine to "own" for the duration of the cruise. If I want a more upscale experience, I choose a more upscale ship. (And vice versa.)

P.S.  If I am fully honest, the cruising model really doesn't work very well for me any more. I am not a target suite passenger, I like smaller ships, and most lines are relatively solo-unfriendly in terms of value.  As I get closer to retirement, what I once planned in terms of lengthier trips is shifting more toward land travel than cruises.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cruisemom,  We do share your desire for smaller ships which is why we were very unhappy when HAL sold the Prinsendam (always our favorite HAL vessel).   I do agree that solos get screwed by nearly all the cruise lines although there are a few ships (such as with NCL) that have actually designed smaller cabins for singles.   I have long remained puzzled why all the cruise lines do not offer better deals to solos on cruises that are not sold out!  

It is only in the past 5 years, when we became disillusioned with many of the mass market lines, that we have mortgaged our souls to go on some of the smaller luxury ships.  While we still cruise on mass market ships, every new voyage on a luxury ship (or mass market vessel with a luxury ship within a ship) makes it more difficult for us to go back to mass market lines like HAL.  The obvious problem is we know what we are missing, and it is a lot!   We still have one more existing HAL booking (42 days on the Westy) but DW has asked me the dreaded question of "will we ever be satisfied on HAL again?"  Yes, we love the Indonesian and Filipino crews, our fellow HAL cruisers, the senior officers that have become friends, etc.  But we hate the silly sale tables in public spaces, the annoying photographers, the idea of add-on prices in the MDR (paying extra for shrimp cocktail?), the constant nickel and diming, being shut out of public rooms (such as the Crows Nest) because of "special events" for various groups, etc.   And we could list a multitude of other issues we have with HAL such as no more Production Shows, those dark nights, BBC documentaries used as main entertainment, etc.   And it is not just HAL!   There have been cut-backs on all the mass market lines (although we have not had many issues with Princess).  

For those who have never tried one of the luxury ships we suggest they look around for a good deal (they do exist on some voyages) and give it a try.  Could I ever book a HAL Neptune or Pinnacle Suite knowing that for less or about the same price I could go on Seabourn, MSC's Yacht Club, etc?  Perhaps, but it would be a very hard sell.  

Hank

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Hlitner said:

At 10:30 on MSC I can go outside the YC and choose from at least 4 or 5 live music venues.  or...I can go back into the more sedate/upscale YC and sit in their large lounge to listen to live entertainment (piano bar or perhaps a string duo). Lots of choices.  Within a day the waiters in that Yacht Club lounge will know my name, my drink preferences, etc.  They will never not ask for my cruise card or cabin number, but simply bring my drink.  The small snack buffet in that lounge operates from early in the morning until late at night (with rotating food/snack choices").  The private YC pool deck has its own buffet (and staff) that operates from breakfast until around sunset.  They also have a buffet (that changes several times a day), staff that will bring your drink (never asking for a cruise card) get you fresh towels. etc.  All this for about $400 per person day (compare that to a Neptune Suite).  When you go to the YC's dedicated restaurant, if there is something you want that is not normally on the menu you can ask the Maitre'd if it can be done...and you will usually have it the next day.

If I may insert myself into this discussion, Hank's description of what the YC experience is like is exactly what I found that I enjoyed.  On HAL, the crew who served me knew me, knew my preferences, and went out of their way when it was needed to provide me with the "Signature of Excellence" that I expected.  

5 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

am a solo traveler, so whatever you are paying for your Yacht Club experience, let me ask you:  would you pay it if you had to pay twice as much for it?  I suppose I "could" pay it if I felt it was of value, but I can't see the value of paying that much for what is on offer.

As a solo cruiser, I did find the value that made whatever I paid worth it.  In comparison with a Neptune Suite guest in an aft suite, far removed from the Neptune Lounge, the value was there only because of a reasonable upgrade offer that I accepted.  As a regularly priced Neptune Suite--in that location--no, the value would not have been there.  

19 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

How much deck space and indoor space that was previously used for venues open to all are now restricted to only certain passengers?

My first encounter with this was a TA on QE2.  I was a Tourist Class guest paying more per day than I had paid for a 21 day TA/North Cape Cruise on Royal Viking Sky.  Exploring the ship, I encountered First Class areas where I wasn't supposed to be.  The same was true exploring where the Grill Suites, Lounge, and Restaurant was.  Such encounters were "off-putting", but, I understood the reasoning for this.  Sailing on QM2, I did not have the same feeling, but, my reasoning remained the same when I wandered into "Suite country"  (I discovered I could not avoid doing so when I booked the Todd English Restaurant.)  It was a choice those guests made.  So what?  What area of the ship that they were using that I could not use would make any difference to me?  

6 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

P.S.  If I am fully honest, the cruising model really doesn't work very well for me any more. I am not a target suite passenger, I like smaller ships, and most lines are relatively solo-unfriendly in terms of value.

I have long come to terms with the value equation as it relates to solos.  Like it?  No.  Do I like "deals" that sometimes occur?  Well, of course.  I am at a point where if I want to take the cruise, if I want to book the type of accommodation that I prefer for that particular cruise, if I can afford it, I will book it.  

I think the "cruising model" still works for me and am very comfortable moving from a Carnival to a HAL to a MSC to whatever I decide to book.  Yet, I am ready to try to sail on a Silversea or Seabourn or another YC sailing.  Reading the Seabourn and Silversea Message Boards for months, I detect that there are the same kind of cruisers whom I have met during my past cruises.  I detected a very small number who post on those Message Boards whom, I think, I would classify with the small number I encountered on my HAL world cruise as folks I would prefer not to cruise with again.  (And, those folks might well feel the same about me.)