Pools on Edge, Salt or fresh water?

zanderblue

1 hour ago, WestLakeGirl said:

Fascinating discussion here, especially as it relates to M class salt water pools.  E-class do not have salt water swimming pools

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2844408-pool-water-on-celebrity/#comment-62994757

I was part of this discussion, and a few similar here on CC and on FaceBook, which always seem to devolve into rather heated debates, and sometimes include fascinating (truly) explanations about the shipboard water filtration systems, but rarely seem to result in a definitive answer. 😉

What I can say from first-hand experience is that the pool water on the M-Class ships tastes salty when you get it in your mouth, but the pool water on the S-Class ships does not, and all smells of chlorine (and, no, I don't intentionally drink pool water, but you cannot help getting the water on your lips or sometimes in your mouth.

I have been told by people who have sailed on E-Class ships that their pool water also do not taste salty, but my first E-Class cruise has been delayed so I won't be able to report personal experience until next year. 🙂 Perhaps someone else can fill in that gap. 

Its fresh water for about the first hour of the day, after that its a mix of water, sunscreen, booze, and who knows what else, by about 3pm on a sea day you cant see the bottom of the pool. 🙂

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, 5:00_Somewhere said:

I was part of this discussion, and a few similar here on CC and on FaceBook, which always seem to devolve into rather heated debates, and sometimes include fascinating (truly) explanations about the shipboard water filtration systems, but rarely seem to result in a definitive answer. 😉

What I can say from first-hand experience is that the pool water on the M-Class ships tastes salty when you get it in your mouth, but the pool water on the S-Class ships does not, and all smells of chlorine (and, no, I don't intentionally drink pool water, but you cannot help getting the water on your lips or sometimes in your mouth.

I have been told by people who have sailed on E-Class ships that their pool water also do not taste salty, but my first E-Class cruise has been delayed so I won't be able to report personal experience until next year. 🙂 Perhaps someone else can fill in that gap. 

That’s not chlorine you smell.  It’s chloramine.  Properly sanitized/balanced pools have no smell. 

https://poolonomics.com/chloramines/

Edited by PTC DAWG

32 minutes ago, Tyler414 said:

Its fresh water for about the first hour of the day, after that its a mix of water, sunscreen, booze, and who knows what else, by about 3pm on a sea day you cant see the bottom of the pool. 🙂

People not rinsing off before getting in the pools is usually the biggest issue.sweat/sunscreen etc, .contrary to popular belief. 

Edited by PTC DAWG

1 hour ago, PTC DAWG said:

That’s not chlorine you smell.  It’s chloramine.  Properly sanitized/balanced pools have no smell. 

https://poolonomics.com/chloramines/

You are probably correct on what you smell but Chloamines is Chlorine bound to  Nitrogen molecule derrived from urine, sweat, sun tan oils and cosmetics.   Sure makes me want to hop it.

My experience is their pools are not properly balanced.    I went in the AquaSpa pool once and 30 minutes later my new Kelly Green Swimsuit turned beige but had nice green threads.

15 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

You are probably correct on what you smell but Chloamines is Chlorine bound to  Nitrogen molecule derrived from urine, sweat, sun tan oils and cosmetics.   Sure makes me want to hop it.

My experience is their pools are not properly balanced.    I went in the AquaSpa pool once and 30 minutes later my new Kelly Green Swimsuit turned beige but had nice green threads.

Your experience mirrors mine...

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

50 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Your experience mirrors mine...

Not sure what you mean by "balanced" for pool chemistry.  Since cruise ship pools are drained and renewed so frequently, they do not need lots of the chemicals that land based public pools use to maintain the viability of the chlorine.  Ship's pools use chlorine and acid, period.  And, as the water is drawn through the filtration system (continually), that water is checked continuously for pH and chlorine residual, and a dosing pump is controlled based on the sensor readings.  Salt water averages around a pH of 8.2, and chlorine works best as a sanitizing agent at 7.2 to 7.8, so some acid is always needed.  The chlorine residual is kept at a constant 3-4ppm (allowed 1 - 5), which is higher than most home pools, and this high chlorine is what leads to most complaints about the pools, either fading of swimwear, or rotting out the stitching of the swimwear.  SPA pools are required to be kept between 3 and 10 ppm of residual chlorine, the same as the hot tubs.

44 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Not sure what you mean by "balanced" for pool chemistry.  Since cruise ship pools are drained and renewed so frequently, they do not need lots of the chemicals that land based public pools use to maintain the viability of the chlorine.  Ship's pools use chlorine and acid, period.  And, as the water is drawn through the filtration system (continually), that water is checked continuously for pH and chlorine residual, and a dosing pump is controlled based on the sensor readings.  Salt water averages around a pH of 8.2, and chlorine works best as a sanitizing agent at 7.2 to 7.8, so some acid is always needed.  The chlorine residual is kept at a constant 3-4ppm (allowed 1 - 5), which is higher than most home pools, and this high chlorine is what leads to most complaints about the pools, either fading of swimwear, or rotting out the stitching of the swimwear.  SPA pools are required to be kept between 3 and 10 ppm of residual chlorine, the same as the hot tubs.

I agree with that..if folks would just shower off, the pools would have a shot at staying clear past 2-3 Pm.

We swim first thing in the Solarium pool.  Cool, fresh water....all before the crowds jump in!  We are gone before then.

Always bring a ratty swimsuit for the hotubs.. then we throw them out after they are really  ," done"

A list of the Salt Water Pools aboard X's ships:

Dear Guest:

Thank you for reaching out to us. 

The pools onboard Celebrity Edge and the Celebrity Millennium Series are salt water.

CELEBRITY MILLENNIUM
CELEBRITY INFINITY
CELEBRITY SUMMIT
CELEBRITY CONSTELLATION

bon voyage

• Like 2

On 7/6/2022 at 2:08 PM, chengkp75 said:

I feel like this is the definitive answer we all need. 

2 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

A list of the Salt Water Pools aboard X's ships:

Dear Guest:

Thank you for reaching out to us. 

The pools onboard Celebrity Edge and the Celebrity Millennium Series are salt water.

CELEBRITY MILLENNIUM
CELEBRITY INFINITY
CELEBRITY SUMMIT
CELEBRITY CONSTELLATION

bon voyage

Finally, a definitive answer. Thank you. Perhaps we should ask the Admins to "pin" this. 😉 

I do find it interesting that they went with salt water for the Edge, then switched again for the newer E-class ships.