VOLENDAM status. Wuzzup?

LocoLoco1

1 hour ago, LocoLoco1 said:

In reality, It can be much more complicated. Now for MY personal experience: At the very last moment a HAL cruise was cancelled that I booked. Our Airfare/Hotel at FLL was refunded, plus of course, the cruise and generous FCC’s. IMHO,  some PAX got hosed and only received what their TRIP INSURANCE fine-print offered them. Didn’t seem fair, but that’s what happened. Strange, eh?? Let’s face reality cruisers, CCL is worth $9/Billion and change. It has $30/Billion in debt. I have not yet packed my bags for my V’dam cruise of Nov. 5, 2022, but my fingers are crossed. 

I’m happy that hal did that for you.  I have seen posts on here where people were upset that didn’t happen.  They were also upset that hal kept canceling cruises when they had fcc to use.  I “think” people had the option of getting cash refunds or a little more if they took fcc’s.  It’s all about cash to me.  I can’t live off fcc’s. If you choose that option it’s on you in my mind.

7 hours ago, Torquer said:

In US law, that strongly worded email from the president of the company could take precedence over the standard contract of carriage you agree to when you book a cruise

Now, noticing that my JD degree was awarded by the esteemed Timbucktu University's Law School, I think the "Contract of Carriage" would be honored before any "strongly worded e-mail" from the President of HAL.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Torquer said:

In US law, that strongly worded email from the president of the company could take precedence over the standard contract of carriage you agree to when you book a cruise

Now, noticing that my JD degree was awarded by the esteemed Timbucktu University's Law School, I think the "Contract of Carriage" would be honored before any "strongly worded e-mail" from the President of HAL in a United States court.  

Edited by rkacruiser

On 7/7/2022 at 8:09 AM, St Pete Cruiser said:

As previously posted by Frankie Sue,  Volendam is scheduled for several of Holland America's longer itineraries including Grand Voyages around South America and a 94 day RT to Australia. 

The 94 day r/t from San Diego to Australia is in 2024.  Surely HAL would know by then if the Volendam will be available.  😀

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Taters said:

When HAL recently announced that the entire fleet was back in service, I wondered about the Volendam.  It is definitely not in service right now.  This makes me believe that the ship will no longer be part of the fleet, unfortunately.

But it is technically in service, correct?  Not for tourists, of course, but HAL is being paid to house customers on the Volendam.  It would be interesting to see how a lawyer would interpret the phrase "in service"!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, iceman93 said:

But it is technically in service, correct?  Not for tourists, of course, but HAL is being paid to house customers on the Volendam.  It would be interesting to see how a lawyer would interpret the phrase "in service"!

My own interpretation of "in service" would be that of paying passengers on board a cruise ship that sails from port to port.  Were the ships that were housing non-working employees who couldn't get home during the first months of the pandemic considered "in service" ?  No, they weren't.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Taters said:

My own interpretation of "in service" would be that of paying passengers on board a cruise ship that sails from port to port.  Were the ships that were housing non-working employees who couldn't get home during the first months of the pandemic considered "in service" ?  No, they weren't.

Well, there are certainly "paying passengers" on board right now, even though it's the government that is doing the paying.  When the ships only had staff on board, the ships were not earning any revenue and I would agree they were not "in service".

In any event, it's an unimportant distinction and it doesn't really matter what we internet lawyers think.  If one wants to read into an announcement that "in service" excludes the Volendam and therefore she's leaving the fleet, so be it.  Time will tell.

58 minutes ago, Taters said:

I agree with you.

I vote that the Volendam is "in service".  Someone is paying for the use of the ship.  That includes crew: engine and deck departments, IT department, housekeeping (public rooms as well as staterooms), laundry, security, food & beverage, hotel staff (including the reception desk). It's an active, floating hotel in Rotterdam. 

Edited by Boatdrill

• 2 weeks later...

Saw this article this morning….

Three large cruise ships have already been commissioned…”

https://www.dutchnews.nl/news/2022/07/cabinet-is-looking-into-placing-refugees-on-cruise-ships-at-sea/

Not sure if any HAL ships would be involved but it seems like the government of the Netherlands thinks housing refugees on cruise ships is working out for them. 

I received the following email. It was in dutch and translated by google:

"Volendam: Impressive Itineraries $500--> We are pleased to inform you that the Volendam will start sailing again from September 24th. The first trip is a 14 night cruise, round trip Trieste, to the Holy Land including a longer stay in Haifa (Tel Aviv), Israel. The ship then makes two special Mediterranean cruises before the Volendam makes the crossing to the Caribbean: a 14-night cruise on October 8, round trip Trieste, including Sarandë, Valletta and Katakolon as destinations. On October 22, the Volendam will make another 14-night cruise from Trieste, to Split, Taormina, Crete, among others, including a longer stay in Mykonos and an overnight stay in Istanbul before the trip ends in Civitavecchia."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, jakkojakko said:

I received the following email. It was in dutch and translated by google:

"Volendam: Impressive Itineraries $500--> We are pleased to inform you that the Volendam will start sailing again from September 24th. The first trip is a 14 night cruise, round trip Trieste, to the Holy Land including a longer stay in Haifa (Tel Aviv), Israel. The ship then makes two special Mediterranean cruises before the Volendam makes the crossing to the Caribbean: a 14-night cruise on October 8, round trip Trieste, including Sarandë, Valletta and Katakolon as destinations. On October 22, the Volendam will make another 14-night cruise from Trieste, to Split, Taormina, Crete, among others, including a longer stay in Mykonos and an overnight stay in Istanbul before the trip ends in Civitavecchia."

I sure did get this one wrong. I was of the belief that the Volendam would not return to sail on Sept 24th. Best to all who are booked on upcoming voyages 🙂