So disappointed with Royal Caribbean

3 hours ago, RFerrington said:

My favorite by ALW is absolutely Jesus Christ, Superstar, but I know that they will never put that one on a ship.  Too controversial.  But I know the entire score almost by heart.  Once that music starts rolling through my head, it is impossible to get out.  And OBTW, it has started.... 🎵 ...I don't know how to looooove him...🎵

I can't listen to it because it reminds me when I was a kid when the soundtrack came out I overheard my Mom's ladies bible study group saying Jesus must have been such a sexy man and I almost barfed!

Edited by goldfish65
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, robmtx said:

Oh and as for the Gift, it took about 4-5 performances but I get that show now! It was also missing from our Nov 2021 cruise so not sure if it's back, but now that I understand it, it's kinda cool.

The Gift was performed on the Anthem May TA.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, lazydayz said:

I left before halftime. Great costumes and performers were fine.  I just prefer a plot.  Life’s too short to sit through something on vacation that I don’t enjoy.  

There is no halftime anymore

14 hours ago, LadyZolt said:

I love Andrew Lloyd Webber.  My favorite of his is "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat," and I'm pretty sure I know most of the lyrics to the songs in it.  "Phantom of the Opera" is a close second.  I love Cats -- "Mr. Mestoffelees" is my favorite song (I know for everyone else, it's "Memory," but I like the magical cat song.)  Still, if you want a plot, CATS is not the production to see.  😉 

Macavity is my favorite

13 hours ago, tx121 said:

Your title is correct in terms of the production shows. Royal Caribbean shows since Nick Weir took over are more miss than hits. Original shows by RCL like The Effectors, Columbus the Musical, 270 shows, Voices, etc are so bad. The visual effects are amazing but the plot and song choices are corny. Also how many versions of the Showgirls show can they put on the ships? Same show just different titles.

The new aqua shows are basic carbon copies of each other like Hiro, Intense, Aqua 80s. Same choreography just different music. The choice for broadway shows is pretty much outdated ones that have passed their prime except hairspray. 
In my opinion, the only area that the RCL production show team has consistently delivered great shows is with the Ice shows. 

I like Columbus.  And Flight is awesome. The Book is interesting.  The rest suck

Aqua 80 is so much better than Hiro and Fine Line

12 hours ago, tx121 said:

yes it is an older production but it is still enjoyable to watch and not passed it’s prime (meaning it is still popular) unlike cats, grease, we will rock you. 

Hairspray is way to PC

7 hours ago, Bound4Bermuda said:

That’s a good perspective, lol. We have not seen it yet. But just based on what I’ve read on this board between this and the other Cats/Oasis thread, it sounds like it’s almost a feline version of Scientology. From an outsider’s perspective, it’s a futile effort to try to understand the logic of what these cats believe, but I can understand that they believe they’re being chosen to ascend to space or whatever. 🤷‍♀️ Yet, I’m prepared for this to be less entertaining than that Leah Remini Scientology expose show.

Sit in lower level on Starboard side. Aisle seat, about 5 rows back

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, poocher said:

I love Joseph as it’s original cantata.  Then they expanded it to a full musical and ruined it.  The difference between the original music and the added is jarring and just does not mesh IMHO.  As for Cats - 🎶McCavity the Mystery Cat is called the Hidden Paw🎶

I love Pharoah reimagined as Elvis

Very similar character to Tugger

• Like 1

4 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

I don't get all the drama over a show.  So you don't like it, that's fine.  Why there are so many threads about not liking it is beyond me.  I don't like bingo.  You know what?  I don't go.  I don't like art auctions.  You know what?  I don't go.  I'm not interested in dance classes.  You know what?  I don't go.  

It's an easy target. Some folks have no imagination 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Tatka said:

We heard bad things about Cats before we went to see it on Oasis.

Yes, plot is a plot... but they performed amazingly I thought. Really talented group.

I did not see people leaving theater.

Anyway, Oasis has so many choices in entertainment! I cannot imagine people being disappointed.

I've seen it 5 times since it was redone. Rarely see folks leaving. Theater about 75% full. Those who saw it seemed to enjoy it. Lots of applause at the end

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

Blasphemy! How can you not like tight athletic bodies and in skin tight body suits!

They don't come into the audience anymore 😪 

Nothing beats a lap dance by a frisky kitten 😸 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Yes, and most of the people on the ship, and on this thread, wouldn't know good theater if it bit them on the tush.

They probably think that the magician act is the best thing they've every seen.  🤪

Tony Tillman😉🤣🤣

2 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Sara Bareilles is fantastic and a force of nature.  She also (among other accomplishments) wrote and starred in Waitress.

I thought the waitress writer died?

2 hours ago, handbellplayer said:

Loved CATS on land and loved it on the ship.  That being said, after several cruises on Oasis, I'm ready to see them change to something else.

BTW - Watched Hamilton (the TV version).  I didn't last 10 minutes.  To each his own!

I have that in my que. Haven't been that bored yet

17 hours ago, soremekun said:

Four letter word...... CATS!!!!!

My oh my what a train wreck!   Some people in a board room somewhere actually said, "This is great!  Let's make this a featured show on one of our premier cruise ships.  We'll make millions!"

Do the actors and actresses actually enjoy performing in this debacle?  

I will never watch this show again.

Choice: Walk barefoot over hot coals, then broken glass, then rusty nails, then cute kittens or.... rewatch Cats?  Easy decision.

Well your post started with SO Disappointed with Royal. CATS-  We don't like it either, just don't go see it, certainly does not make us Disappointed with Royal.  Just one production show of the many Royal has that I choose not to go and see.

17 hours ago, LeeW said:

A few people actually like this show.  Many walk out in mid-show.  Not sure how this relates to "disappointed with Royal Caribbean" though.

Me either and that is what I said to the OP

2 minutes ago, karena1 said:

Well your post started with SO Disappointed with Royal. CATS-  We don't like it either, just don't go see it, certainly does not make us Disappointed with Royal.  Just one production show of the many Royal has that I choose not to go and see.

Title was clickbait.  My post was mostly in jest (per my post history).  We are truly a privileged bunch to have the opportunity to cruise and be spoiled.  And to "complain" about a show such as Cats truly exemplifies that.  Some people don't know where their next meal is coming from but some of us pick apart aspects of a luxury vacation that bored us while in an air conditioned theatre with a drink in hand and plenty of food around while someone is cleaning our cabin.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, RFerrington said:

Correction to my post above.  I guess it wasn't a Broadway performance as I now realize (thanks @xpcdoojk) that it was never a Broadway show.  Can't remember where I saw the live performance but I have seen one live performance of JCSS....somewhere.

JCSS was to me a rock opera ALBUM.  Later it became the thing it is now.  Tim Rice and ALW were upstarts, and couldn’t get enough money to make it on the West End or Broadway, so they made a rock album.

So, Jesus was played by Ian Gillan (who was one of the best screamers of any Rock Band at the time he was the lead singer of Deep Purple (smoke on the water, and my woman from Tokyo) at the time who were at the pinnacle of their popularity.

Judas was Murray Head who was in the London Version of Hair.  One of my all-time favorite albums was his mid 70s Say it Ain’t So.  

Mary Magdalene was Yvonne Ellman a complete unknown at the time.  

The band was from various rock bands from the time.  

JCSS is simply a rock album.  No acting at all.

The show when it was made into a musical played on both Broadway and The West End in London.

Most people first saw it at the Movies.  At the time I hated the movie, because I knew the songs as they were played on the original Rock Opera.  I would have probably hated the plays in London and NY for the same reason!  I have softened since my childhood, but when I was 11 or 12 this album was the most important album I had ever heard.  

JC

• Like 1

1 minute ago, soremekun said:

Title was clickbait.  My post was mostly in jest (per my post history).  We are truly a privileged bunch to have the opportunity to cruise and be spoiled.  And to "complain" about a show such as Cats truly exemplifies that.  Some people don't know where their next meal is coming from but some of us pick apart aspects of a luxury vacation that bored us while in an air conditioned theatre with a drink in hand and plenty of food around while someone is cleaning our cabin.

Now your post makes so much more sense - lol

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Yes, and most of the people on the ship, and on this thread, wouldn't know good theater if it bit them on the tush.

They probably think that the magician act is the best thing they've every seen.  🤪

Oh brother.😑

16 hours ago, LadyZolt said:

I love Andrew Lloyd Webber.  My favorite of his is "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat," and I'm pretty sure I know most of the lyrics to the songs in it.  "Phantom of the Opera" is a close second.  I love Cats -- "Mr. Mestoffelees" is my favorite song (I know for everyone else, it's "Memory," but I like the magical cat song.)  Still, if you want a plot, CATS is not the production to see.  😉 

I loved Cats but hated Phantom of the Opera

19 hours ago, soremekun said:

Four letter word...... CATS!!!!!

My oh my what a train wreck!   Some people in a board room somewhere actually said, "This is great!  Let's make this a featured show on one of our premier cruise ships.  We'll make millions!"

Do the actors and actresses actually enjoy performing in this debacle?  

I will never watch this show again.

Choice: Walk barefoot over hot coals, then broken glass, then rusty nails, then cute kittens or.... rewatch Cats?  Easy decision.

You are SO disappointed in Royal Caribbean and started  thread because you didn't care for a show? Sorry,  I don't get the issue.  What am I missing?  Is  this  some sort of joke post?   

I don't like juggling acts.    When ever one is featured, I simply don't attend.   NO problem. 

M