Good place to eat, first day

Diamond6101

We are scheduled to board around noon on our cruise to Alaska, finally after two years of waiting.  First cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam and was wondering what is the best place to have lunch our first day aboard?

Larry

2 hours ago, Mutumbojimbo said:

The dining room should be open for lunch as well. It was on our trip in 2018 and it provided a welcome change from the first day Lido chaos.

I hope the MDR is open but it wasn't in April , May and early June on a variety of HAL ships.

On the Zuiderdam the MDR lunch on sea days was "Express".  Few choices, not very good food.

Edited by SilvertoGold
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

I hope the MDR is open but it wasn't in April , May and early June on a variety of HAL ships.

On the Zuiderdam the MDR lunch on sea days was "Express".  Few choices, not very good food.

The koningsdam wasn’t in March either.  I physically went down to check. When I was on the ship in November it wasn’t either but when I posted that i was told I was wrong 🙄.  I think it’s hit and miss for sure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Lido seems fairly manageable on the day of embarkation.  I'm usually so distracted by everything that day that I don't worry too much about lunch. I've never seen it to be a zoo.  They have plenty of staff.

MDR has been open on Embarkation Day on my Nieuw Statendam, Nieuw Amsterdam, and Zuiderdam cruises over the past eight months but only from noon until 1:00 PM.  With most of the assigned boarding times now after noon, only the B2B and earliest boarding times passengers can get in the door.

The MDR lunch menu is now the same every day.  The fried calamari is just as good as what I enjoyed in my four years living in Athens, Greece.  Ask for a double order.

Here are the MDR lunch and Dive-In menus:  MDR Lunch   Dive-In Menu

Avoid the crowd and try the pizza by the outdoor pool on the aft Lido deck or the Dive-In by the indoor pool.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mutumbojimbo said:

We're one-star, so we'll probably miss out on lunch in the MDR, at least on embarkation day. I was really looking forward to a croque monsieur and tomato soup though. 🙂

MDR is now open to all passengers. No longer just for Mariners 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Diamond6101 said:

This will be our first cruise on Holland, looking forward to our trip to Alaska July 31

Larry

Here are the Main Dining Room Menus you will experience:  MDR Menus Alaska 2022

For other menus for beverages and restaurants see the link below in the lower right of my signature.

• Like 1

We always aim for the MDR on embarkation day - the only day we eat lunch there - we haven't yet cruised post covid, but precovid we always found that the dining room was far less crowded than the Lido, and especially on embarkation day, we've already had enough of line ups .  I hope we will be onboard in time for that lunch this time - we changed our flights because of the current airline delays ...

If not the MDR, I would suggest avoiding the Lido if you can - the Dive In, or depending on the ship, there are other lunch options.

14 minutes ago, kickboxrca said:

We always aim for the MDR on embarkation day - the only day we eat lunch there - we haven't yet cruised post covid, but precovid we always found that the dining room was far less crowded than the Lido, and especially on embarkation day, we've already had enough of line ups .  I hope we will be onboard in time for that lunch this time - we changed our flights because of the current airline delays ...

If not the MDR, I would suggest avoiding the Lido if you can - the Dive In, or depending on the ship, there are other lunch options.

What other lunch options are there on the Nieuw Amsterdam?

I'm not the expert 🙂 but I just googled it and they say they have the Tamarind (which is amazing if it is open on the first day - don't miss it for lunch), New York Pizza and the Dive In (aft deck) - my DHs two favourite snack/lunch places overall ... 

25 minutes ago, kickboxrca said:

I'm not the expert 🙂 but I just googled it and they say they have the Tamarind (which is amazing if it is open on the first day - don't miss it for lunch), New York Pizza and the Dive In (aft deck) - my DHs two favourite snack/lunch places overall ... 

Tamarind is not open for lunch.

1 hour ago, chefchick said:

Is the Dutch cafe open on embarkation day?

if you are cruising on the on  Pinnacle-class ship, The Grand Dutch Cafe will indeed be open for lunch on Embarkation Day.  The pea soup is nice and thick.  Add a sandwich to make a filling lunch.  Ask for several almond cookies and a giant chocolate chip cookie for an afternoon snack.

Grand Dutch Cafe Menu

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Tamarind is not open for lunch.

53 minutes ago, kickboxrca said:

Oh no!  It used to be 😞

I remember what a good lunch they used to have! We would go whenever we could, if onboard. I miss that!

• Like 1

@Diamond6101welcome to Cruise Critic!!  I love the Nieuw Amsterdam and imagine you will too.  IF, by chance, the MDR is open that is my favorite but as the above posters have stated, it's hit and miss.

Tip:  If you arrive during the hours of 12 to 1pm don't ask the staff if it is open, just go there and check for yourself.  

Vancouver has a great sail away under the Lion's Gate bridge.  

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger
  • Like 1