Question about Queen Anne grills terrace.

Windsurfboy

Just looking at brochure. 

I can see where the QA grills terrace starts , but does it contnue aft past the hot tubs on the side of the ship , all the way to where deck narrows.  If so like QE,  QV it's a reasonable size , unlike QM

This is only my interpretation of the QA deck plans, but this is what I figure constitutes the grills terrace on deck 11. Note the entrances/exits indicated at the top and bottom. I figure those are a pretty good indicator for what marks the boundaries of the grills terrace.

1288065092_QAGrillsTerrace.png.12efd24cc94936ba2cc080f81912638d.png

My concern is whether this is a restricted area accessed digitally, ( as other lines do in premium areas) or is it a public walk through? If the second is the case, confirmed when QA sails, this will seriously jeopardise any booking on my part.

8 hours ago, LadyL1 said:

My concern is whether this is a restricted area accessed digitally, ( as other lines do in premium areas) or is it a public walk through? If the second is the case, confirmed when QA sails, this will seriously jeopardise any booking on my part.

I undetstand your concern about too many people walking through, der maybe a good old sign "acccess for ... only" will do.

5 hours ago, carlmm said:

I undetstand your concern about too many people walking through, der maybe a good old sign "acccess for ... only" will do.

Over the years we have seen those ignoring the signs on all Queens! 
I quite object to this, as one pays a hefty amount of ££££s for what is promised in the Grills. Why should a few receive this for nothing? Cards are never checked these days, and as in another thread, the “mark” denoting Grills pax is no longer on the key cards (well certainly up to March of this year).

How can you tell,whether they are Grills passengers or not? I should much rather an occasional interloper crept in, though I must admit I've never been aware of any,  than have to have my card checked every time I wanted to use a lounger. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

How can you tell,whether they are Grills passengers or not? I should much rather an occasional interloper crept in, though I must admit I've never been aware of any,  than have to have my card checked every time I wanted to use a lounger. 

'Foreigners' are not a huge concern of mine although they are to others. There was one occasion when a couple made ready use of the sunbeds which were in short supply  on deck 12 due to a very sunny cruise, until they got dobbed in by  a sunbedless Grill'er who was obviously in  amateur Inspector Clouseau mode.

The staff are pretty good at facial recognition and once 'verified', I wouldn't have thought a daily check would be necessary. 

All this is why a big grills deck is important.  I don't care about the occasional  non grills passenger. Certainly don't want to , or think it's my role to play spot the interloper,  99.9% chance I'd get it wrong anyway. 

It will be interesting to see if  Cunard has moved to contactless key cards for QA. If so electronic entrance to grills deck would be unobtrusive. 

We are booked on QM in April for return from Capetown and a Mediterranean in June. My one worry about QM is the small grills deck. The one draw back of QM being designed as a transatlantic liner not a cruise ship. It's OK on the Capetown run, as a starboard cabin gives us sun every morning on balcony, which is enough for us. However on Mediterranean may be different,  and grills deck too small. I wanted Q.V.,  but it's heading north so that was vetoed. 

Edited by Windsurfboy

We are.about to go on QM2 to the Med. It will be interesting to see how much sun we get, and how much shade, which might be more desirable, given the very high current temperatures. But I should have thought some of each every day.

Although the restaurant isn't nearly as nice as those on the Vistas, it will be nice to be able to get there without struggling to put the key in the lift. 😀

4 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Once, we heard two groups of two people on the Grills deck discussing which seating they were assigned in Britannia and whether they could share a table. That would tend to be a dead giveaway that they weren't Grills passengers.

As long as they are not using up all of the hot tub space on the QM2 Grills deck, it isn't my problem.

• 1 year later...
On 7/10/2022 at 1:00 PM, LadyL1 said:

Over the years we have seen those ignoring the signs on all Queens! 
I quite object to this, as one pays a hefty amount of ££££s for what is promised in the Grills. Why should a few receive this for nothing? Cards are never checked these days, and as in another thread, the “mark” denoting Grills pax is no longer on the key cards (well certainly up to March of this year).

Totally agree. I cruise in all classes and am respectful of areas which I haven’t paid for.

Just booked QA Princess Grill for next year. 
If there’s anyone from steerage hogging my hot tub I’ll politely ask them to leave!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, swjumbo said:

Totally agree. I cruise in all classes and am respectful of areas which I haven’t paid for.

If there’s anyone from steerage hogging my hot tub I’ll politely ask them to leave!

Aren’t you going to have to use your key card to open the end barriers? I must say I have never been aware of interlopers, but how would you tell anyway?

2 minutes ago, swjumbo said:

I’ll happily engage in conversation with them and ask how they’re finding the Grills experience!

If I’m paying over the odds for the experience then so should they. If not then get out!

I would find that rather an intrusive question, and would evade it. On the other hand, if I were an interloper, I would have my reply ready. As I say, I’ve never been aware of any though.

56 minutes ago, swjumbo said:

Apart from crew going up to ask for cabin numbers, I don't see how it will be possible to discern who's a 'griller and who isn't and if I wasn't, I certainly would evade any questions from a fellow guest.

The only time it would become an issue for me is if, as Big mac pointed out, all the seats/sunbeds were taken and there were non 'grillers there but to repeat, how can one tell?

Really?

Here’s a few sample questions:

How did you find check in?

How’s your suite on this new ship?

Are you Queen’s or Princess Grill?
How was your food? What did you eat last night?
Have you pre ordered for dinner?

What do you think of this area? Worth the money?

Quite simple and not in any way rude!

• Like 1

Sounds deeply interrogatory to me. At what point to you remove the burning matches from the finger nails? Nonetheless, if I were an interloper I’d have the answers ready, as below.

I didn’t find checkin, I was directed.

Much like the ones on the old ship.

That would be telling.

Food’s pretty much up to the usual standards. 
Not yet.

Pretty good, isn’t it?

If I were entitled to be there, I think I might move swiftly away, especially if the subject of money came up, which I’ve never heard anyone raise in the QG.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, swjumbo said:

Really?

Here’s a few sample questions:

How did you find check in?

How’s your suite on this new ship?

Are you Queen’s or Princess Grill?
How was your food? What did you eat last night?
Have you pre ordered for dinner?

What do you think of this area? Worth the money?

Quite simple and not in any way rude!

Hmmm

I think this ranks with 'what did you pay'

'what cabin are you in'!

and

'what do you do for a living'

Intrusive and to be ignored.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, exlondoner said:

I would find that rather an intrusive question, and would evade it. On the other hand, if I were an interloper, I would have my reply ready. As I say, I’ve never been aware of any though.

Exactly, if someone is brazen enough to gate crash, they won't be intimidated by a few questions. They'll probably pretend they don't speak English. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

It’s not up to a passenger to check status of Grills guests in lounges and terraces. The bartenders and staff get to know who’s who and if that person orders a drink he’ll be exposed as a non-Griller.

If a non-Griller is hogging a chair or bragging about “beating the system” while hanging out in a Grills area then escalate that to staff. Never put oneself in the position of the “Grills Sheriff”. I see no upside in being the Sheriff, as upset as I would be too. 

Edited by NE John
  • Like 6

I would rather the crew take care of this when or if it becomes an issue.  

As a once teenage "gate crasher" on liners, I was spotted in a heartbeat on FRANCE... they could smell Tourist Class passengers at a 10 ft. distance. They just knew.  Italian Line to a lesser degree.. if you had a girlfriend in First, why they issued issued you a pass to visit First Class every evening... those romantic Latins!

But... no... if I sensed folks using what they did not pay for, I would quietly approach a staff member and have him or her deal with it and PDQ.  QM2 especially where the deck is too small in capacity in the first place.  Fifty years after FRANCE/RAFFAELLO, I am on the "right side" of the red velvet rope and mean to enjoy it, too!

• Like 2